Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

2707200X
Topic Author

Rail Grinding Trains

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I have been interested in trains off and on throughout my life and it was not until last night when I watched a You Tube video and thought initially before I clicked that a locomotive had it's traction motor on fire and the wheels where sliding and sparking that I thought rail grinding trains existed.

Here are some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0Cdeh0ztY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gb9Ry2Xtg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12CAFX2O95c&feature=related

If you know a little about how rail grinding works, how do they grind the rails and how often it it done?
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

canoecarrier

RE: Rail Grinding Trains

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):
If you know a little about how rail grinding works, how do they grind the rails and how often it it done?

Grinding is determined not so much by time as by wear measured in million gross tons. Heavier traffic rail lines usually require grinding more often. I don't claim to be an expert but my dad used to work as a brakeman and told me about it after I ended up seeing a pretty spectacular forest fire between Vancouver, WA and Bingen, WA on the Columbia River which was started by a rail grinder working tracks.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Brendan03

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:38 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 1):
Quoting 2707200X (Thread starter):

I don't know how often they do it down here in Melbourne on the Suburban train network but whenever there's major works which include sleeper renewal, rail renewal or general track maintainance, They usually get the grinders out there.

I believe the point of the grinder is to change the profile of the railhead to best match the profile of the rail vehicle's wheel to ensure maximum contact.

Grinding is done in the same fashion an angle grinder power tool would grind something in a workshop. They use special abrasive pads which spin around against the rail head whilst the grinder vehicle moves along.

I hope this provides you with some help. I'm not an expert myself but I've seen a few threads on various forums about Railway Maintainance and that's basically what I've taken from them all.
Coolier than thou.

2707200X
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:30 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 1):
Quoting brendan03 (Reply 2):

Great information, thanks.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Brendan03

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:44 am

If you have a look through this guys gallaries, there's some interesting photos regarding trackwork (and all sorts of other stuff)

http://www.railgeelong.com/gallery/events/
Coolier than thou.