Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Best Tablets Out There (edition >9k)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:03 am

OK, so as a happy ending (or not so happy) to my internship coming up in the next weeks    , I have decided to give myself a tablet. Only now I have doubts as to which one I should purchase. Basically I want a tablet capable of having/doing the following:

1. Have plenty of memory (at least 32GBs)
2. Be media friendly (for watching videos on YouTube or stored, listening to music, etc.)
3. Have a long battery life (this is a must. I'm not a travelling kind of guy, but the longer the battery life, the better)
4. Wi-fi (kinda silly to point it out, but just in case there are tablets without it...)
5. Have some kind of entertainment, whether with downloadable games or games already pre-installed.
6. This one is not required, but it would be a plus: basic office applications. Just in case there's the need for a quick fix to a word document or reading an excel document.

I was leaning towards an iPad since I'm more or less familiar with its operation (basically a giant iPod), but it'll be interesting to see other models as well before I make a final decision. It would, finally, lighten the load on my backpack during the semester, where I leave my laptop back at my apt.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Fly2HMO

RE: Best Tablets Out There (edition >9k)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:17 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):
6. This one is not required, but it would be a plus: basic office applications. Just in case there's the need for a quick fix to a word document or reading an excel document.

This right there pretty much eliminates every tablet out there. Sure you can do basic edits on those docs on most tablets but anything more than that and generally you'll need a real computer.

Frankly with that list of needs you're much better off with a netbook. They cost the same as a higher end tablet. And you get a real computer to boot, not some half assed attempt at a computer.

[Edited 2011-07-27 20:19:08]

[Edited 2011-07-27 20:19:27]

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 am

Nah...for a netbook, I'd rather save the money and wait until the need arises.

Huh...strange. I was told there might be a couple of tablets out there that could handle a few editing software programs. I guess #6 is off the list then.

nighthawk

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:41 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):

The blackberry playbook ships with an office suite that will allow you do edit/create word and excel documents. I think it also does powerpoint too.

It also meets all your other requirements - it supports flash, so you get the FULL internet experience. The apps store is somewhat lacking though, mainly due to Blackberry dragging their heels releasing the full SDKs. However, the Playbook will support Android apps, with a new app store coming soon for these, but as of yet it hasnt been released. As for games, the playbook supports full 3D, and comes with Need For Speed installed, the graphics for which are pretty impressive (full HD). Due to the above mentioned issues though, there are not a lot of other games available at the moment.

One drawback of the playbook though - if you leave it in standby mode, it will flatten the battery in about 24 hours, so you need to do a full shutdown when you are not using it. It then takes an age to boot (longer than an average PC). Battery life when running is excellent though.

Brendan03

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:43 am

If you opt for the iPad, You've got the iTunes Store, Which allows you to download Free and Paid applications, whether for Productivity, Gaming or Media.

My iPad has Air Video, which allows me to stream videos from my iMac to my iPad over the Wifi and has a wide support of Formats and Codecs and doesn't use very much space.

I also have Plane Finder on there for when I'm feeling particularly nerdy and want to work out what just flew over the house (It's always an A320 and I always know that before I check anyway)

I have IM+ for Instant Messaging, The iPad2 (I have a First Generation 32GB/3G) allows you to do Skype video calls (and FaceTime)

Once iOS5 comes out, You'll be able to do Messaging to other users with iMessage (Any other iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch connected to a network)

It has Maps, Calandar, Contacts, Reminders, Notes, Photo Library (and the ability to import photos from Camera/SD card with the Camera kit), iTunes/Music Playing, You can run any iPod Touch/iPhone application on it, Some scale to screen, Some open up in the middle of the screen about the size of the iPhone screen if they aren't cross compatable.
You'll have access to Newsstand, If you want subscriptions to Digital Magazines and News

Some of the features I've mentioned will only available once iOS5 comes out.

As for Productivity and Office work, You can get iWork, which include Pages, Keynote and Numbers.

Pages works similarly to Microsoft Word, for Letters and Typed Documents.
Numbers works similarly to Excel, For Number Spreadsheets, Budgets and the like.
Key Note works similarly to Powerpoint, For Presentations and Information Page creation.

The battery life on the iPad (Atleast on mine) is excellent. Reading an eBook, playing music and watching videos, I still get a couple of days of use out of it, using it intermittently.

Also, Once iOS5 comes out, The requirement for having a computer to sync the device and set it up will be abolished.

I hope some of this helps your decision.
Coolier than thou.

Airstud

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 am

Hey - what's unhappy about your internship?
Pancakes are delicious.

something

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am

I was in your exact same position until a week ago and decided to purchase the Acer Aconia A501. After hours and days of research, I came to the conclusion that the only (open) operating system with a future is Android. There currently are four different Android tablets. Motorola Xoom, LG Slate, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Aconia A501. The Motorola Xoom is too expensive and has a lot of bugs, LG Slate is a little behind the competition in every aspect and so it was down to Galaxy Tab vs. Aconia A501.

The Galaxy Tab is a little smaller, thinner and lighter than the A501, but the A501 is much sturdier and has longer battery life. The A501 also features a SD support bay, meaning that you can extend your memory with any SD card of up to 32GB capacity. Also, the Galaxy Tab runs on Android 3.0, whereas the Aconia A501 already features an update to the latest Android 3.2 version. Lastly, the A501 is about $50 cheaper than the Galaxy Tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvSHE35jLqg

You'll find many more of those tests on youtube and P.S. the Aconia A500/A501 are the same device, but the A501 has 3G, the A500 is wi-fi only.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 5):
what's unhappy about your internship?

It ends in about 3 weeks.   

Quoting something (Reply 6):
There currently are four different Android tablets. Motorola Xoom, LG Slate, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Aconia A501.

A friend of mine recommended I get the Galaxy Tab, but I'd have to play with it a bit before considering it as a candidate as well.

something

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):
A friend of mine recommended I get the Galaxy Tab, but I'd have to play with it a bit before considering it as a candidate as well.

The Galaxy Tab is a solid tablet. It's a bit 'creeky' and quite expensive and it also doesn't feature SD card support. That's why I went with the Aconia. Honestly, it's either Android or Apple. And since I detest everything Apple, that wasn't even a consideration. Or ever would be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dikaQjMO388

But besides all that, I just REALLY can't stand this wanna-be hipster-image of everything Apple produces. Not that genuine hipsters are something I sympathize with. Those products go together very well with pink polo shirts with popped up collars. But that, I admit, is subject to personal preference.

[Edited 2011-07-28 08:58:39]

srbmod

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Here's another selling point for the BlackBerry PlayBook. In the near future, you will be able to use Android apps on it (A version of the Android app player was leaked last week and while it was a version not fully ready for prime time, quite a few Android apps work on it with few issues.). An upcoming software update is supposed to bring BBM as well as a native email app to the PlayBook instead of having to use them via the BlackBerry Bridge (assuming you've already got a BlackBerry smartphone) which accesses them on your BlackBerry device via Bluetooth.

One of the downsides to the PlayBook is the lack of awesome apps like those for the iPad and for Android tablets, as app developers aren't interested in having to redo their app for yet another O/S. This is where the Android App Player for the PlayBook is going to make things interesting. Here's an article from Crackberry that highlights what the Android App Player could mean for BlackBerry:

http://crackberry.com/what-android-app-player-means-blackberry

Klaus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting something (Reply 8):
But besides all that, I just REALLY can't stand this wanna-be hipster-image of everything Apple produces. Not that genuine hipsters are something I sympathize with. Those products go together very well with pink polo shirts with popped up collars. But that, I admit, is subject to personal preference.

It's bizarre what some people project into Apple and their products. I've never understood what these "hipster" ideas are all about.

There are products, which either work well or they don't. If they do and if their price is appropriate, I buy them and use them as I see fit, not giving a damn about what some other people might believe I'd have to act or be like.

Apple doesn't require, assume or even just imply their customers to be any specific type of people either. It's all about the actual products and about what they actually do. And that's where they get me interested.

Screw imagined ideologies. Look at what you need and want and where you can actually get it.

something

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
Look at what you need and want and where you can actually get it.

Like allowing them to access your data, remove software and track you? lol

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
One of the downsides to the PlayBook is the lack of awesome apps like those for the iPad and for Android tablets, as app developers aren't interested in having to redo their app for yet another O/S.

Another thing I've noticed is that most Blackberry apps are free, which isn't the case for Android and certainly not Apple.
I've been a very ardent Blackberry (phone) user for a while now and as soon as I heard they were brining out a tablet, I started putting money aside for it. But then unfortunately, the reality of things got in the way. RIM got into the tablet market much too late and it almost seems as though they hastily rushed into that venture, trying to push out a product as quickly as possible to keep up with the market development, and ended up introducing a sub-par product that received nothing but disappointing reviews. They continue to release updates to make the software better and more comprehensive and I've also heard about the possible Android implementation, but then there were still two things keeping me from buying it: The uncertainty if this will really work as advertized and the question when exactly that will be ready, and then secondly the size of the screen (seven inches at 1024x600). One of the many reasons I love my Blackberry is it's compact size. I don't want to carry around a brick-sized and shaped smartphone in my pocket. That, on the downside, however comes at the expense of having a screen that very much limits the internet experience. And the tablet was supposed to compensate for that. If you're carrying around a tablet anyway, it doesn't make much of a difference whether it's 7 or 10 inches. So if you do the shlepping already, you might as well get the most out of it. And 7 inches is just too small to read longer articles and 1024 too bad for movies.

The RIM management really messed this one up. Their attempt at a smartphone (Torch and Storm) was comparably misguided. Which is really too bad. I much prefer the Blackberry user interface and it is so hacking-proof, that it's even illegal in most countries where governments enjoy observing their people. It's not enough to go after a few business clients.. they should have opened themselves to the ''entertainment'' users as well.

That all is not to say the Playbook is a bad product. But if you're looking for more than an oversized smartphone, I'd go with the Aconia.

Geezer

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 pm

There are products, which either work well or they don't. If they do and if their price is appropriate, I buy them and use them as I see fit, not giving a damn about what some other people might believe I'd have to act or be like.

Apple doesn't require, assume or even just imply their customers to be any specific type of people either. It's all about the actual products and about what they actually do. And that's where they get me interested.

Screw imagined ideologies. Look at what you need and want and where you can actually get it.

Klaus;

As usual, you said it better than I ever could !

Anyone who just "hates" anything "Apple" must still be using a PC, so they are still running windows;
talk about shooting yourself in the foot..............................

BTW.............here's a bit of "trivia" that I'll bet 99% of "Apple haters" are unaware of ( and probably don't even care );
All of the computers in the C.I.C. of new U.S.N. Aircraft Carriers are made by "the aforementioned, hated company".
(and the U.S.N. has never been known for using "second rate stuff"......................................

Charley

P.S. Another "Apple Hater" told me his "reason" was because Steve Jobs ALWAYS wears black jeans and black tee shirts to big meetings ! ( LOL ! )
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Klaus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Quoting something (Reply 11):
Like allowing them to access your data, remove software and track you? lol

No, that's on my exclusion list as on anybody else's. It seems you've fallen for some popular but nevertheless still factually false disinformation.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 13):
Well I used to love those little ones with doves on them . . . .

Hmmm... maybe you better don't try to swallow the ones discussed here...   

swissy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
Here's another selling point for the BlackBerry PlayBook. In the near future, you will be able to use Android apps on it

and that opens up a whole new world for the playbook... have one since they were released, no issues what so ever, sure to get the full benefit you need the bridge and a bb phone for now...will be corrected shortly. as for movies or reading...no handicap for me, fits perfect in my jeans back pocket, start up is perhaps 10-15 seconds longer compare to my laptop...still no big deal. software updates always improved the overall performance without any hiccups. same with my torch...does everything an iphone or any other android does...

Quoting something (Reply 11):
The RIM management really messed this one up. Their attempt at a smartphone (Torch and Storm) was comparably misguided.

what mgm missed is approaching average Joe sooner...and listen what the market was asking for. All our BB products still work 100% despite their ages, so if you choose a 7" tablet, the playbook will do just fine...and the price is right.

Cheerios,