Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CometII
Topic Author

What's With The Ongoing Rioting In London?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 pm

I am surprised no topic on this board has brought this up. I keep hearing it is all because of the death of an area person. But what is the background to this really? And why three days of riots already? Reminds me of Paris a few years back.

What's up in London?

detroitflyer

RE: What's With The Ongoing Rioting In London?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:34 pm

It had to do with police shooting to death a young man. Not much information available about the circumstances of the shooting though.
Boiler Up!!!

kaitak

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:36 pm

There has been a lot of trouble in that area of London for many years, going right back to the mid 1980s (probably before that as well); on Thursday, a gangster was shot dead by police (no great loss to humanity, by all accounts) and there followed a protest to the nearest police station, but this was hijacked by troublemakers, leading to massive vandalism and co-ordinated looting on Friday and Saturday. Some reports spoke of people actually forming orderly queues to loot shops!

The police arrested over 160 people for looting. A bus, several police cars and several premises were burned out by the police.

Efforts are being made to restore calm, but unfortunately, in this age of Blackberrys and instant communication, those who are determined to cause violence and mayhem have a new method of doing so.

The police, who are demoralised by cuts are finding it difficult to cope, but reinforcements will be brought in. Custodial sentences will be imposed, but sadly, the majority of those involved in causing the violence will be out on the streets and involved in violence in future.

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting CometII (Thread starter):

I am surprised no topic on this board has brought this up.

I was thinking of starting a topic especially as its spreading now to Croydon/Ilford/Birmingham etc... very worrying . My Sister lives in Lewisham and managed to get back from work but her area is in lock down ! My Sister has been warned by me before about living in such an area but she won't be told !! There have always been issues in Peckham/Brixton/Hackney etc... They are not ideal places to live in and always have trouble. Im more surprised about Croydon/Ilford though . It seems to be sporadic copy cat style riots .

Just to clarify this has nothing at all to do with the death of a ''suspected criminal''. These are just thugs and low life who have seized an opportunity to cause trouble.

seansasLCY

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:58 pm

This rioting is now happening across London.

Where I live (close to LCY) many roads are closed and apparently shops are on fire. There are buildings on fire in Croydon, Peckham, East Ham all being reported on the news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

Twitter seems to be giving much more detailed reports as to what is going on.

GBLKD

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm

We have a Tory government, jobs under threat and strikes in the public sector, services are being cut, and there are are riots on the streets.

Is it 1981 again?

sunshine79

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Unrest has been reported in Birmingham with shops being attacked. This seems as though it's spreading to other cities, although I hope it dosen't. as my work is in Bradford city centre, and the people of the city love to protest and riot, so no doubt we will be on alert to evacuate in the coming days.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Gingersnap

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:25 pm

No excuses, but it's been a long time coming.

Still disgusting all the same.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

shamrock604

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Chin up, and good luck to all of you there in the UK going about your daily business.

I hope this gets sorted soon - it's the last thing London needs in the run up to the City's time to shine next year....

MCO2BRS

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Not to detract from the more serious problems in London, but we are also having significant problems here in Birmingham. As I type there is a group of 40-50 people in the street outside my apartment (I live in the city center) being extremely loud, kicking things and throwing stones and other objects.

This has gone beyond protest, and is now just mindless stupidity. Its a very sad night for all those who are being displaced by these thugs.

Cheers,

MCO 2 BRS

Gingersnap

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Adidas store in central Birmingham

Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Sky News reporting live from Clapham and no police around at all and rows of shops being smashed and looted. They should bring in the Army for something as serious as this.

na

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:49 pm

BBC reporting now about largescale looting near Clapham Junction in South London - and no police around!

Gingersnap

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):

Sky News reporting live from Clapham and no police around at all and rows of shops being smashed and looted. They should bring in the Army for something as serious as this.

Normally I don't agree with it, but this I do now.

Curfews need to be enforced and the army need to take to the streets.

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Quoting gingersnap (Reply 13):
Curfews need to be enforced and the army need to take to the streets.

Especially when you see this !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqj1N9qeWXI

sunshine79

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 14):
Especially when you see this !

Even just watching this video is quite scary, especially when you see the youths hanging off the plasma screen trying to take it down.

There was an incident in Leeds earlier this evening with someone being shot in the face and upto 100 people on the streets, however, they all dispersed quietly... so far.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Gingersnap

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Oh I know. You can't reason peacefully with these people.

You have to take the city back by force.

n229nw

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:02 pm

This is so messed up. And it all kicked off near my old neighborhood of Wood Green that I feel extremely attached to, and then by the middle of the first night the whole of Wood Green High Road was ransacked while the police were elsewhere.

People are so pathetic. Anyone who does this thinking they are "sticking it to the man" really knows how to shoot himself in the foot. But 90% of the people involved in this, though they "hate the police" are not even interested in the political implications. They are just looking for a power trip to get away with causing mayhem and destruction and terror in the community, and get a new television out of it too. They will provoke the police in order to use their response as an excuse to begin looting and burning. Pathetic. A further irony is that while this has been framed by the left and right as largely a racial issue, the pictures show the rioters are of all races. While part of the tensions involve discriminatory stop-and-search operations, I guess everyone likes free trainers.

That said, the police need to learn that if they want to build community trust, they have to stop covering things up. Take the Jean Charles de Menzies case. Almost all the things we were told about how he was dressed, how he jumped the turnstiles, etc. was not true. Now it seems that the bullet that everyone said was fired by Mark Duggan at the police officer was actually fired by another officer. And there is the story of the 16 year old being beaten down that sparked the initial riots. When these stories break, people seem to fall into two camps. There are the Murdoch-believing populist types who will ALWAYS assume that the authority figures are right and whoever was beaten or killed or died in custody "had it coming to them" because they must have been a thug. And then there are those (including most people in the poorest parts of London, or at least most young people in those areas) who will ALWAYS assume the police lied, bullied, and acted inappropriately against a "totally innocent" person. The truth is usually in between, or sometimes one and sometimes the other--though, crucially, the police have more to gain in covering things up than a private citizen. They believe they are "protecting their institution" and their colleagues by doing so.

I would say that in terms of professional behavior, the Met is one of the best police forces in the world. But that isn't good enough if they come off seeming unaccountable for their actions when they do mess up. They take a lot of criticism from everyone, and morale must be very low, with all kinds of cuts and pressures on them as well. But more openness is really the answer. And the IPCC needs to make sure that real action is seen to be taken on those occasions when the police do mess up. Because there have been a series of very high profile cock-ups and cover-ups, a lot of the work the police have done in recruiting minorities and otherwise building bridges with London's poorest communities has been undone recently. The point of this is not to justify any of the rioting, but to explain why there are people who have sympathy with the rioters and don't turn them in. Of course, others are just afraid that if they rat on anyone, there will be retribution.

Cutting nearly the entire budget for youth centers to keep kids off the street was also not one of the more brilliant "austerity measures" of the current government.

London will come through this. Despite all the senseless damage and loss, people will pull together more closely afterward in the areas that have been hit.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 2):
A bus, several police cars and several premises were burned out by the police.

By the rioters, you mean.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
My Sister has been warned by me before about living in such an area but she won't be told !!

I hope your sister stays safe! The area will be safe again in a few days, and all this high-profile idiocy doesn't mean these areas will turn into hellholes permanently. I would move back to Wood Green next week if I could. It is a good place where overall people really care about each other and get on. (OK, Hackney, Lewisham and Peckham, I don't know, but I'd live in Tottenham before Croydon any day...)

[Edited 2011-08-08 14:05:18]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 17):
I hope your sister stays safe! The area will be safe again in a few days, and all this high-profile idiocy doesn't mean these areas will turn into hellholes permanently. I would move back to Wood Green next week if I could. It is a good place where overall people really care about each other and get on

Thanks my Sister will be fine we are totally different ends of the political spectrum and she will probably be coming out with some left wing slant on why its happened but she has made her bed etc... Don't get me wrong I love my Sister to bits but she has no sense of reality. Id be more worried about my Mum but she lives in a lovely English town where people still have respect for each other and sense of pride in their communities and parents are responsible for their kids. I spoke to my Mum just now and she said my Sisters thinking of moving so every cloud has a silver lining.

I have Greek friends in Wood Green but rarely go there. I just hope this doesn't spread to West London i.e.: Hounslow/Brentford/Chiswick/Hammersmith etc.... Im due to go to London this week.

One thing that made me think today is when I saw on Sky News two guys carrying out a 50'' LG Plazma 3D TV looted from Currys ! I bought the same thing last week except I had to work 20 hours overtime to afford it !!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Quoting GBLKD (Reply 5):
We have a Tory government, jobs under threat and strikes in the public sector, services are being cut, and there are are riots on the streets.

Is it 1981 again?

How is the Tory government responsible? Was it a Tory MP that shot the person or a policemen that is supposed to be apolitical?

Quoting n229nw (Reply 17):
Cutting nearly the entire budget for youth centers to keep kids off the street was also not one of the more brilliant "austerity measures" of the current government.

Is it the governments place to keep kids off the street of their patients?

I raised three children, none have ever participated on a riot and none ever set foot in youth center!

Revelation

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 2):
Some reports spoke of people actually forming orderly queues to loot shops!

Only in England...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 19):
How is the Tory government responsible?

It always amazes me how the Tory card comes up when over a decade of Labour government has brought the UK to where it is now . Labour has wasted so much money on rubbish and ''trendy'' projects that now its pay back time thats why the Tories are having to cut things back.

Whats worse is that a new generation of thugs and unemployables have been allowed to flourish. ! The lack of education in huge areas of these riot areas are more worrying than the flames we see on TV . Truly shocking.

GBLKD

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 pm

How is the Tory government responsible? Was it a Tory MP that shot the person or a policemen that is supposed to be apolitical?

I don't believe I implied that, just drawing comparisons to 30 years ago. You have jumped on one part of my post and not the others. I grew up in an inner city area in Britain in the 1980s and can see history repeating itself, I lived through the riots in Handsworth and Lozells.

GBLKD

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
It always amazes me how the Tory card comes up when over a decade of Labour government has brought the UK to where it is now . Labour has wasted so much money on rubbish and ''trendy'' projects that now its pay back time thats why the Tories are having to cut things back.

What amazes is me is that our political parties of all colours make the same damnned mistakes over and over and over again. Both major parties are to blame for the state of the country, instead of actually knuckling down and coming up with common sense they're both too busy mudslinging then wasting even more money dismantling the previous administration's policies and implementing their version of what is right.

No side has the answer.

I just hope that Birmingham dosen't kick off as London is, I hope my family stays safe.

GBLKD

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):

What amazes is me is that our political parties of all colours make the same damnned mistakes over and over and over again. Both major parties are to blame for the state of the country, instead of actually knuckling down and coming up with common sense they're both too busy mudslinging then wasting even more money dismantling the previous administration's policies and implementing their version of what is right.

No side has the answer.

I just hope that Birmingham dosen't kick off as London is, I'd like my family to stay safe.

n229nw

Is it the governments place to keep kids off the street

Yes and no. No in the moral sense, but in the practical sense, the government should do what most benefits society. Should it be the parents' responsibility to look after their kids? You bet. But in inner city neighborhoods blighted by gangs, drugs, dysfunctional families, etc., the simple truth is that many parents can't or just don't. Certain youth programs have a truly established record of actually working, and it is actually cost-ineffective to shut them down, because you spend more money prosecuting and incarcerating people for crime than preventing it. Giving kids productive ways to feel belonging is worth the investment. There have been some articles before the riots on the cuts, talking to both teenagers and workers involved in the projects being cut. They all felt that years of good work was washed down the drain, and, more interestingly, several of them predicted this kind of rioting.

Lefty as I am, I actually believe that cutting (or better, reforming) certain benefits is a good thing. Entitlement culture breeds on itself and is surely a factor in this kind of behavior. But so on the other hand, is taking away funding for grass roots projects within the community, which is what I am talking about above. That is just dumb. In the end, if you give people money and take away their dignity, that is the worst combination. People live down to what is expected of them. Every psych experiment shows that.

Despite all that, anyone who behaves this way needs to be held accountable for his or her actions. Sadly, I doubt most of these kids will end up getting caught. That is why they have discovered a new kind of crime...scary.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
One thing that made me think today is when I saw on Sky News two guys carrying out a 50'' LG Plazma 3D TV looted from Currys ! I bought the same thing last week except I had to work 20 hours overtime to afford it !!

Well, maybe you should head over to Clapham and get one for another room in your house! I hear the "feds" are busy elsewhere!   

shamrock604

The true motives of these thugs can best be summed up in the kinds of shops they are ransacking:

TV's n' tracksuits.

GIANCAVIA

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:17 pm

These losers are not protestors they are dirty tramps that want free stuff, The more apologists on their side the more they will get away with it. Wish we were in a country where the police would baton the **** out of them.

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:17 pm

You want to know WHY riots currently going on in London...??

Police stopped a taxi to arrest the passenger.
Passenger shoots at the police, hitting one officer.
The officer shoots back, killing the passenger with 2 shots, before officer falls to the ground.

Local community blame the police for shooting the said passenger dead "for no reason". Unbelievable!!

That's why. All because the police did their jobs!!!!!

Makes me ashamed to be a citizen of this country      
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Quoting GBLKD (Reply 23):
I just hope that Birmingham dosen't kick off as London is, I hope my family stays safe.

Hope so Im getting lots of updates from my mates in London who live all over the city. The general view is they are gobsmacked !

Quoting n229nw (Reply 26):
Well, maybe you should head over to Clapham and get one for another room in your house! I hear the "feds" are busy elsewhere!   

Just seen two guys One Irish and One Australian being interviewed who live in the area and its bizarre.

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 27):
Wish we were in a country where the police would baton the **** out of them.

I know its extreme but I tend to agree. tear gas and water cannon and in extreme circumstances more !

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 28):

Shame that decent people are being held hostage by scum bags .

Just heard its spread to Ealing West London near where I grew up !

Also a Man has just been shot in Croydon .

Springbok747

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Absolutely disgusting. Time to bring in the military and stop this.
אני תומך בישראל

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 pm

watching the live BBC feed on the web... true horror scenes... I can't believe it...
several different areas being hit simultaneously... hope there will be enough police to contain all this violence
now spreading to ealing and camden... this is spreading...
very dangerous... they smash and burn everything

this might very well spread to other cities in europe...

Wow!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm afraid the Met Police are now outnumbered. Every available officer has been called in, but it's still not enough.

The Govt should do the right thing, call out the Army Reserves (ie: me) and we can assist police with riot control. It's the ONLY way this will end IMO. I'm here, ready and waiting with my combat uniform and gear......

B747-4U3

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 25):

The true motives of these thugs can best be summed up in the kinds of shops they are ransacking:

TV's n' tracksuits.

You're forgetting fagz n' booze as well.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):

Shame that decent people are being held hostage by scum bags .

It's disgusting that we are subsidising this underclass through our taxes, and rather than being grateful for the welfare that the British society affords them they start trashing the country.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):

This is the problem, these people want these items but can't be bothered to put in the hard work to get them. At least now they can watch Jeremy Kyle in 3D!

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 4):
There are buildings on fire in Croydon,

It's sad that the big fire in Croydon is a furniture store that is a local landmark and has been in business for over 100 years. Part of the local history has gone up in smoke.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 30):

Absolutely disgusting. Time to bring in the military and stop this.

Quite right too. The soft option hasn't worked so we need to regain control with force.

lhr380

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 pm

I can not believe the images Im seeing on BBC News. Just had to call my mate earlier as soon as I heard it was kicking off in Croydon as his mum lives there.

This is a joke. Curfew needs to be enforced STRICTLY, Army out with road blocks, and this sorted NOW!!!
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

OA260

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 32):
The Govt should do the right thing, call out the Army Reserves (ie: me) and we can assist police with riot control. It's the ONLY way this will end IMO. I'm here, ready and waiting with my combat uniform and gear......

I totally agree . If it goes on it may happen , its a tough decision though as the world is watching and doesn't look good for London 2012 but needs must !

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 33):
It's disgusting that we are subsidising this underclass through our taxes, and rather than being grateful for the welfare that the British society affords them they start trashing the country.

Very true these people who get identified and go to court should have their benefits cut forever. They should be made to work or leave them on the streets to beg.

This is the problem, these people want these items but can't be bothered to put in the hard work to get them. At least now they can watch Jeremy Kyle in 3D!

Its a totally different world I don't understand. Just can't understand how these people think. The odd ones that have been interviewed on TV speak a dialect I don't understand either. I used to think people on Jeremy Kyle were paid to act but these are real people ....

n229nw

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 pm

The officer shoots back, killing the passenger with 2 shots, before officer falls to the ground.

Local community blame the police for shooting the said passenger dead "for no reason". Unbelievable!!

That's why. All because the police did their jobs!!!!!

See, this is what I mean.

This is as much a total distortion as saying that the riots are caused by the Tory government.

There is no indication that Duggan fired on the police.I doubt this will be as clear cut a case of cock up and cover up as the Jean Charles de Menzies case, but the whole question of what people believe is the same issue. When people feel that because they are poor, or unemployed, or black they are not believed ever and authority figures are always taken at their word, even when they mess up, then it creates a lot of rage.

Now, it is quite likely that Duggan was a nasty person involved in drug dealing, and he did at least have an illegal weapon, though it is likely that it was not taken out. It is even possible that he did pull a gun on the officers. (We'll find out) But if he didn't shoot, and perhaps never even was holding a gun, and everyone just assumes that he did because the Daily Mail says so and he thus deserved to die, while a poor black family says its a lie, then you can understand people's frustration.

If some of the rioters want to use that as an "excuse" for stealing televisions or lighting cars, or worse, buildings, on fire, they are still tools.

Also, I tend to agree that troops might need to be used and certainly a curfew set for the whole city for a day or two before this gets any more out of hand. These kids are now drunk on the power they have to cause destruction and it will spiral more if it isn't nipped in the bud now.

[Edited 2011-08-08 16:07:41]

GDB

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Police tactics, frankly (not the fault of officers on the ground) are a bit hopeless.
Understand they have to contain, but really, to put it brutally, they need to get in and crack some heads.
Get some water cannon in, get Baton rounds issued and use them.
Often it seems the police cannot muster the numbers in one place quick enough to nip flare ups in the bud in multiple places, hence the need to deploy water cannon and more widely baton guns.
If that sounds harsh, someone is going to get killed if this does not stop soon, likely a resident/shopkeeper, (the burnt out building of the first night, is too unsound to check yet if anyone was trapped there), or people in cars having bricks chucked at them, if this is not firmly and harshly dealt with.

However, watching footage, a lot of people have been caught on camera looting/committing violence who have not covered their faces and no doubt the arrest levels will ramp up, from the over 200 so far, once they are looked at.
Small comfort to those who have lost business and homes.

There is no sense of grip from government either, too many senior members away at the same time, the London Mayor twiddling his thumbs on holiday, not to deny him that, however he should have returned on Saturday evening not wait until tonight.
Not a practical solution but Police commanders have to feel they have backing, to if need be, get as tough as needed.
Also plans to cut 2000 police from London, perhaps 30,000 nationwide, seem overtaken by events.

Changes to law maybe too, anyone found lobbing a petrol bomb at police (or anyone) should automatically be charged with attempted murder.

Listening to a man in Croydon tonight who has just seen his business, in the family since the 1860's burned down (he sells big furniture items), you can understand why he wanted armed police there shooting his tormentors.
He will be asking where his business taxes, council taxes, income taxes, VAT is going when it comes to the policing budget.

[Edited 2011-08-08 16:09:39]

[Edited 2011-08-08 16:26:29]

[Edited 2011-08-08 16:27:44]

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:06 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 36):

Well if he didn't shoot, then who shot the officer (who had a bullet embedded in his radio) then???

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 pm

New pictures from London.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14453918

n229nw

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 38):
Well if he didn't shoot, then who shot the officer (who had a bullet embedded in his radio) then???

I guess you haven't been following the emerging forensic reports that that turned out to be another police bullet, apparently fired by another officer that missed and lodged in the radio?

GDB

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 38):

You'll be aware of the term 'negligent discharge'. That's one theory going around.

I suspect many would like to see yourself and your comrades out there, wouldn't mind you shooting some of them either.
No chance of that though, those carefully nurtured political profiles will not want to be the ones to put troops on mainland British streets, unless of course it spreads to Chipping Norton.

[Edited 2011-08-08 16:17:17]

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
You'll be aware of the term 'negligent discharge'. That's one theory going around.

Ok well, regardless, you don't pull a gun on an officer who is armed.....

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
I suspect many would like to see yourself and your comrades out there, wouldn't mind you shooting some of them either.
No chance of that though, those carefully nurtured political profiles will not want to be the ones to put troops on mainland British streets, unless of course it spreads to Chipping Norton.

I know what you mean, but I have a feeling it WILL happen. The police are hopelessly outnumbered!

Maverick623

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 pm

This is the problem, these people want these items but can't be bothered to put in the hard work to get them.

Change "hard" to "long", and you'd be correct. It's actually quite demanding to go running through the streets with a 50-inch flatscreen.

People like that live for the moment, and can't be bothered actually waiting for something to happen, because their lifestyle demands that they be seriously hurt or killed at a young age.

It has little to do with the welfare state, other than they get enough to keep a roof over their heads. Everything else is either stolen or bought with drug money, and their ways are taught, ignored, or reinforced by the parents.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 36):
while a poor black family says its a lie

And the "poor black family" was there? 10 bucks (quid?) says they're all gangsters.

There was an incident here in the States several years ago, where an officer got into a struggle with a young man (somewhere around 17-20 IIRC). The kid pulls out a gun while they're wrestling on the ground, and squeezes of a few rounds that luckily missed the cop. The officer manages to roll the kid onto his back, pulls out his gun, and puts a single bullet into the kid's head. All of this was caught on camera, in plain view, and the shooting was ruled justified by the courts.

So what did the kid's mom have to say about it?

"I don't care what the video shows, my son did not have to die."

It's quite funny how when a cop says something, people scrutinize and criticize them to no end, but when a family member makes a claim, it's accepted without question.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

lhr380

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Police Station on fire in Birmingham!!

lhr380

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Now its in Liverpool!!!Toxteth , where there have been problems before

Derico

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 am

Sorry my friends, don't expect a far off disfunctional Junta to bail your mind out of your home riots and economic woes out this time around.  

But seriously, I am sick and tired of thugs. I believe in lengthy punishement for this kind of stuff. But governments these days are so concerned about ''human rights'', that illegal immigrants are allowed to squat a public park and they can't be removed or it's repression. Well at least in Argentina.

I hope PC is not as bad in Europe and this is soon put down. It certainly does look like France back in 2007.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

ltbewr

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:18 am

Part of the problem is race, mainly as to persons of Afro-Caribbean heritage who have long been discriminated in jobs, social services and the police. Add in the the economic crises, not enough decent paying jobs, excessively high levels of youth unemployment, high rates of teen pregnancy, lousy educational systems, not enough affordable housing in the cities, the high costs of living, dysfunctional families and excessive consumerism in their as well as other communities, you have a volatile mix that has blown up in riots, looting and mayhem in the UK.

par13del

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:21 am

Latest news is that a police bullt was lodged in the radio, so maybe friendly fire.

Quoting Derico (Reply 46):
It certainly does look like France back in 2007.

Most usually say it cannot happen here.

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):

Unfortunately, in these hard economic times and the type of laws presently in place for hooliganism, a hard hand is probably needed immediately rather than later.

Look at the area's now getting in trouble, if it was contained in the area when the initial incident took place you could call it localized, but it is spreading which means that more "dissafected persons" are getting involved, whatever the reason, folks appear to be rising up all over the place. Rather than attempt to be normal a clamp down for cooling off is probably required, curfew tomorrow is my recommendation.

In the light of day the damage will probably be extensive and defy logic.

Maverick623

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:31 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 48):

Latest news is that a police bullt was lodged in the radio, so maybe friendly fire.

Which says nothing about whether the guy shot at the cops, or even pulled a gun.

Quoting par13del (Reply 48):

Look at the area's now getting in trouble, if it was contained in the area when the initial incident took place you could call it localized, but it is spreading which means that more "dissafected persons" are getting involved, whatever the reason, folks appear to be rising up all over the place.

Make no mistake: these are copycat riots that are spread at the speed of light by the internet and cell phones.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way