Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Super Committee Takes Shape.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/09/news...dex.htm?section=money_news_economy

Hello trigger. I mean this is going to be uglier than the debt ceiling talks. Murray has no business on this committee and as someone with a lot of power in the party will probably relegate Baucus to a spectator and we know Kerry will quickly get behind her. She has already made it clear she will not budge on entitlements so Reid once again draws his line in the sand.

I guess Reid wasn't listening to the S&P and Moody's when they said we need to make real cuts or risk further downgrade in two years. Looks like we are going to waste another 3-4 months.

I got to give the Dems credit every time they get the ball and have a chance to put the GOP on the hook they let the right off of it. This would have been a good chance to force Boehner to pick three moderates that would play ball but now he can counter with people who won't budge on revenue and have an excuse.

Maybe they are going all the way for 0% approval. This will certainly do it.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

RL757PVD

RE: Super Committee Takes Shape.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:44 pm

I dont think its because the cuts didnt go deep enough, its more of the revenue side of the house, and I think the vast majority of americans would agree that the solution requires both.

Any idiot knows domestic spending has a direct corelation to domestic jobs especially on tea party targets such as infrastructure.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...1/08/02/7233301-look-ma-no-revenue
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

seb146

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Thread starter):
I guess Reid wasn't listening to the S&P and Moody's when they said we need to make real cuts or risk further downgrade in two years.

S&P also said we need revenue increases which the tea people took off the table.

This would have been a good chance to force Boehner to pick three moderates that would play ball but now he can counter with people who won't budge on revenue and have an excuse.

So the tea people really are in charge? Instead of compromise and what the people want, we will get no where and give corporations what they want. Just great. Why should I vote right wing?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

11Bravo

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:35 pm

I guess Reid wasn't listening to the S&P and Moody's when they said we need to make real cuts or risk further downgrade in two years.

,.... and I guess the GOP wasn't listening either because they absolutely refuse to include any tax increase. That was a specific cause given by S&P as a reason for the downgrade. We need to cut spending AND raise taxes.
WhaleJets Rule!

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:43 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):
S&P also said we need revenue increases which the tea people took off the table.

No they didn't. The grand bargain bad plenty of revenue which was killed by the far left like Murray. You keep referring to the bill after that in which Boehner wanted them to sign on to something that cut nothing substantial.

For the zillionith time, the TP will give you some revenue but you won't give any real cuts. You continue to cloud the issue with this constant spin meister propaganda war.

I also find it hilarious that after the Dems have screwed our credit rating and now we have to watch our market tank like it is today Reid just keeps playing pro politics but hey keep it up. Just makes 2012 that much sweeter. One way or another the people will elect people that will make the cuts and stop trying to make the rich pay the whole bill.

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 1):
I dont think its because the cuts didnt go deep enough, its more of the revenue side of the house, and I think the vast majority of americans would agree that the solution requires both.

Then why do the Dems keep refusing to budge on entitilements? Getting rid loopholes and Bush tax cuts are not even the tip of the iceberg. If Boehner gave you a Trillion bucks in revenue today. (like he did in the grand bargain) Dems would still walk away because they don't want to cut anything at all.

GOP picks

http://www.businessinsider.com/repub...-make-super-committee-picks-2011-8

Pretty benign, now we just need Good ol Nancy's and we got the whole softball team.

RL757PVD

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
Then why do the Dems keep refusing to budge on entitilements?

Social security is NOT an entitlement, last timei checked I paid a lot of money into the pot!

I also find it hilarious that after the Dems have screwed our credit rating

Even while I totally disagree with this statement, deeper cuts without revenue increases would have been domestic job suicide.

Case and point, look at what happened when you took the FAA and their $4 Billion annual airports program off line, 100,000 jobs would have also been taken off line (possibly mine included).

Any guesses what trillions in cuts only will do? So much for GOP job creation... ohh wait they are creating jobs, just not on the US!

MadameConcorde

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:50 pm

A couple of questions.

Who names the members of the Super Committee?
Who will chair the Super Committee?

How is this constitutional?

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

AGM100

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

For the zillionith time, the TP will give you some revenue

Yep ... more tax payers ... not more taxes. Proven as solid as a rock 2004 - 2008 and 1995-1998 as examples.

All they want is more taxes ... the party of food stamps and higher taxes ya gotta love it!.

Patty Murry ?? A bachelor of arts from a community college and a community organizer demanding tax payers pay for preschool day care qaulifies her for what ?? She then becomes a senator and is stuck on the armed service committee??? No wonder we are being downgraded ! And John Kerry ,,, the lucky bachelor , traitor and elite politico.. this is the best Dingy Harry could come up with ?

The super committee is a exorcise in cowardice by our leadership. The cowardly lion of the senate and the President ...stalling ducking and hiding . The GOP should refuse to sit members on this kabuki playbill ... its just a set up by the liberals to once again play the victims in the sight of the evil Tea Party .
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

FlyPNS1

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:10 pm

For the zillionith time, the TP will give you some revenue but you won't give any real cuts.

Find me some quotes from TP Congressmen and then I will believe you. Sorry, Grover Norquist doesn't count.

Then why do the Dems keep refusing to budge on entitilements?

Because cuts to entitlements won't fix any of our deficit problems in the next 10 years. And in fact, the cuts proposed by conservatives don't fix Medicare at all.

[Edited 2011-08-10 10:14:58]

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 8):
Grover Norquist doesn't count.

Funny how that is a one way street. When he makes people sign pledges he, like Rush is the de facto leader of the GOP but the second he tells you he will allow those who signed the pledge to vote for the loopholes and their revenue all of a sudden he ceases to exist.   

Face it, Feinstein is going to down for this one along with the President for not having the cajones to see he had a great deal and a springboard to some recovery and a chance at a second term and told her to shut up. Once again he was given a huge opening and slammed the door shut himself. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to see how easy he is making it for the GOP next year.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 8):
Because cuts to entitlements won't fix any of our deficit problems in the next 10 years

Funny how the CBO and some of the brightest minds in business disagree with you.

FlyPNS1

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
Funny how that is a one way street. When he makes people sign pledges he, like Rush is the de facto leader of the GOP but the second he tells you he will allow those who signed the pledge to vote for the loopholes and their revenue all of a sudden he ceases to exist.

Again, you failed to name me even one TP Congressmen that said they would vote for revenue increases. That speaks volumes.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
Funny how the CBO and some of the brightest minds in business disagree with you.

None of them disagree with me. Not a single plan presented to cut entitlements does anything to address budgets in the near-term. That's a fact. CBO scoring shows MASSIVE deficits for the next ten years even with entitlement reform....UNLESS you start gutting entitlements near term as the Ryan Plan did. However, most conservatives rejected the Ryan Plan.

fr8mech

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 6):
Who names the members of the Super Committee?

The various Leaders: McConnell, Reid, Boehner, Pelosi

Who will chair the Super Committee?

I guess it will be co-chaired by a member of the majority party in each house. Democrat for the Senate, Republican for the House.

How is this constitutional?

My guess is that they are loosely interpreting Art. I, Sec. 5, Cl. 2:
"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a member."

But, that is a guess. Congress is allowed to set-up whatever method they want in order to write legislation. The method of approving legislation; they can not change.

I'm not a fan of this committee. Too much power centered on one, clearly partisan, group. Their imminent failure to come to some agreement will be a disaster.

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 5):
Social security is NOT an entitlement, last timei checked I paid a lot of money into the pot!

Chances are, you will receive much more than you (and your employer) paid in. That is what makes it an entitlement.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

bhill

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Boehner:

When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I'm pretty happy.

Yep, I can see the atmosphere of compromise already....
Carpe Pices

RL757PVD

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 11):
Chances are, you will receive much more than you (and your employer) paid in. That is what makes it an entitlement

Why would my money not gain interest after them holding onto it for 40 years?

dxing

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):

Incorrect. The original deal with 800 billion in revenue increases was doable, until President Obama came back at the 11th hour looking for more.

Quoting 11Bravo (Reply 3):
and I guess the GOP wasn't listening either because they absolutely refuse to include any tax increase. That was a specific cause given by S&P as a reason for the downgrade. We need to cut spending AND raise taxes

That is simply incorrect. What they refuse to do is add tax increases without substantial cuts in spending. It's a spending problem, not a revenue problem. Revenue needs to be increased but not by just raising rates. The tax code needs substantial reform to eliminate loopholes that not only favor corporate jet owners as the President wants but also targets corn subsidies that favor ethanol production which even democrats understand is a wasted effort. A tax amnesty needs to be put in place so corporations that are keeping trillions offshore can bring those dollars back here and pay at the adjusted rate which will be lower given that loopholes and deductions will be eliminated.

If the government would do the tax reform maintaining neutrality in the first phase which keeps the GOP happy, then bumping rates up would be much easier to accomplish as a modest bump, still lower than the current rates, would produce an amount of revenue to keep the democrats happy.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

stlgph

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 pm

No they didn't.

the S&P doesn't need to come out and say it - they've already said it in the way they rate countries.

they *LOVE* countries with high tax rates. *LOVE* them.

AAA rated countries by S&P and their percentage to GDP tax rate
Australia - 31%
Austria - 44%
Denmark - 49%
Finland - 44%
France - 46%
Germany - 41%
Netherlands - 40%
Norway - 44%
Sweden - 48%
UK - 39%

AA+ Rated and their percentage to GDP tax rate
Belgium - 47%
US - 27%
New Zealand - 35%

the credit default swaps for the U.S. is currently 56% it's higher, sometimes by double or more in every AAA rated country except Norway and Sweden

so, basically ... what the S&P would like the U.S. to do ... at least in their mind, even with large spending cuts made, is see across the board tax hikes up to about say 40% as compared to thee GDP. sure, Australia is at 31%, but they have a lot less infrastructure and military to balance into the books.

and for reference -
AA rated ...
Spain - 37% (with a 406 CDS)
Qatar - 2%

AA-
China - 17%
Japan - 27%
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Aaron747

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:51 pm

You continue to cloud the issue with this constant spin meister propaganda war.

You're doing it too. The bottom line is neither party has presented a plan that accomplishes near AND long term revenue balance with deep cuts to entitlements and defense. Not to mention I haven't seen a single proposal to eliminate redundant federal agencies and consolidate their functions. Just as liberals are pissed at Obama for not going for more, many independents and fiscal conservatives are not impressed by the cowardice in the GOP for not touching Social Security.

You should receive back what you paid in, and no more. Why should money be free? The government is not a bank!

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 10):
However, most conservatives rejected the Ryan Plan.

Because they're scared sh*tless of losing reelection, just like every other selfish pol in DC. They do not have the nation's best interests at heart.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:01 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 16):
The bottom line is neither party has presented a plan that accomplishes near AND long term revenue balance with deep cuts to entitlements and defense.

Actually Cut, Cap and Balance would have but the BBA would have never flew. To say neither party has put forth a plan is such nonsense. If it wasn't for the GOP the Dems would have deferred it another two years simply to try to win an election.

You should receive back what you paid in, and no more. Why should money be free? The government is not a bank!

par13del

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 am

Case and point, look at what happened when you took the FAA and their $4 Billion annual airports program off line, 100,000 jobs would have also been taken off line (possibly mine included).

I thought the workers were sent home and the airlines allowed to jack up fares to keep the government tax money because the Senate refused to pass the temporary spending bill.

We can all disagree on the way things should be and who is responsible for what, but the facts are the facts. The House passed a temporary bill to fund the FAA to enable those workers to continue working before they went on vacation, somehow they do not appear to be making any political gain from that fact.
The Senate who refused to pass the bill before the recess, actually had to use Senate rules to pass the bill they earlier refused to pass by having two senators in chambers.

The major bill for multi-year funding for the FAA is still out-standing, the issue of the NMB ruling as it relates to union formation has not yet been resolved, what I do not understand was the reason for actually increasing the stress level of those workers for a few days to actually turn around and pass the bill, makes no sense.

par13del

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 am

I hope the super committee will resurrect the Grand Plan that the House had negotiated with the President, the one which contained 4 trillion in cuts and 500+ billion in revenue increase for two reasons.

1. It has the Republicans on record for revenue increases, which is the key, not the tax rate. If the tax rolls are increased even with lower rates it is possible to have increased revenues.

2. The Democrats and Repiblicans were on board for 4 trillion in cuts.

Since 2 trillion was already agreed in the initial deal, getting the additional 1.X should not be a problem if that blueprint is used. Everyone says that tax reform is needed, so start somewhere, it does not have to be a massive change at once, start with the loopholes, a tax holiday for multi-national companies allowing them to return funds to the US - will have to lower the tax rate as that is why the funds are elsewhere - and see how the financial institutions react.

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:15 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 17):
Actually Cut, Cap and Balance would have but the BBA would have never flew.

None of the cuts in that proposal were immediate enough to have effect in the next several years. This is because the GOP is just as concerned with winning the next election as anyone else. Nobody wants to piss off SS recipients.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 am

So the govt gets $1,000 now and 40 years from now I get my $1000 back? Forced US saving bonds in place of social security would make more sense and have a better return!

Quoting par13del (Reply 18):
I thought the workers were sent home and the airlines allowed to jack up fares to keep the government tax money because the Senate refused to pass the temporary spending bill.

If the FAA would have been shut down for 7 weeks, nearly every construction or improvements project for the second half of the year and design projects would have gone unfunded. So every construction worker, engineer, planner, environmental permitting staff, project manager, architect, technician, and contractor working on an airport project would have been temporarily out of work. This highlights just how far domestic spending goes and that $4 billion in FAA money changes A LOT of hands, which is what you need to keep the economy going.

If the tea party cuts this type of domestic spending like they want to, they will be cutting into the jugular of our economic back bone.

StuckInCA

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 am

You should receive back what you paid in, and no more.

Dollar for dollar? No thanks. It needs to include at least a small amount of interest.

fr8mech

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:33 am

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 13):
Why would my money not gain interest after them holding onto it for 40 years?

Because the government is not a bank. You are not putting your Social Security payment in an interest bearing account. It goes in and it goes to someone else. The government isn't making any money on your money...in fact, it costs money to administer the program.

If you want to invest with the US Government, buy bonds.

It is an entitlement.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:54 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 23):
Because the government is not a bank. You are not putting your Social Security payment in an interest bearing account. It goes in and it goes to someone else. The government isn't making any money on your money...in fact, it costs money to administer the program.

If you want to invest with the US Government, buy bonds.

It is an entitlement.

Then they can give me MY money back and let me invest it.... ohh wait whats that? they already spent my money and I cant have it back?

If the government didnt make any money with what they got from SS and in fact it strictly costs them money then its because they are inept.

Assuming we just look at the cash I put in and assuming no growth whatsoever... lets say I average $4500 over 40 years of employment, and my employer makes an equal contribution thats $360,000 again assuming ZERO growth in money the interest along on that amount (like a perpetuity) comes out to being over $1,000 per month (at 3.5%). given what SS pays out, if they administered the program properly, theyd be making money off of someone like me.

The rules can not be changed mid stream after millions of hard working americans put tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into a program promised to them. Im fine with giving up my social security provided that I dont have to keep paying into it, but you cant take it away from those who worked hard and now depend on it.

fr8mech

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 am

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 24):
The rules can not be changed mid stream after millions of hard working americans put tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars into a program promised to them. Im fine with giving up my social security provided that I don't have to keep paying into it, but you cant take it away from those who worked hard and now depend on it.

I'm not saying we need to take that money away, but we do need to wean ourselves away from a program that will be insolvent, or at least try for some meaningful fixes.

theyd be making money off of someone like me.

But, it's not just you or me. It's millions of people. Millions of dependents. An example: one of my wife's uncles died a couple of years ago and left 3 dependents (1 wife, 2 kids). The wife receives $1350/mo and the kids each receive $1375/mo (I think) in survivor benefits. One daughter was 13 and the other 8 when he died. How much more will that family take than was put in? (I know the numbers because I did their taxes).

Social Security is an entitlement.

If the government didn't make any money with what they got from SS and in fact it strictly costs them money then its because they are inept

Yup, and now we're supposed to trust them with health care insurance.

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 21):
nearly every construction or improvements project for the second half of the year and design projects would have gone unfunded.

I guess the questions we (all of us) need to ask are:
-is the project necessary?
-what is the alternative?
-can we live without it?
and the most important: Is it a valid function of government to provide this service?

Now, I'm not talking just about the FAA issue, I'm talking about every government project and expenditure. We need to look at everything.

I hope this super-committee does this, but I doubt it. They don't have the time, nor, I think, the balls.

par13del

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am

If the FAA would have been shut down for 7 weeks, nearly every construction or improvements project for the second half of the year and design projects would have gone unfunded. So every construction worker, engineer, planner, environmental permitting staff, project manager, architect, technician, and contractor working on an airport project would have been temporarily out of work. This highlights just how far domestic spending goes and that $4 billion in FAA money changes A LOT of hands, which is what you need to keep the economy going.

Sounds very important, unless those are talkjing points one would assume the Democrats in the Senate who actually sent those people home for a few days knew the same thing. If they don't that may explain some of the problems the government is creating or not solving with the economy.

If the tea party cuts this type of domestic spending like they want to, they will be cutting into the jugular of our economic back bone.

That may be a long term proposition, but has nothing to do with the thousands of workers who were sent home and the millions of tax dollars that were not collected but instead went to private industry, namely the airlines. The workers were sent home because the Senate did not vote before going on recess, that was deliberate.

So was the Senate simply giving the people a taste of what would happen if cuts are implemented, sort of treating people like lab rats?

Well guess what, they are also on the special committee which is supposed to be looking at further cuts in domestic spending, everyone including the Democrats and TP are saying that cuts have to be greater than revenue increases, the debt is so massive when coupled with the level of spending that no amount of tax rate or revenue increases will make up the difference, something is going to get cut. The US debt to GDP ratio is among the highest in the world, unless someone writes it off, you can no longer continue to treat the debt account as a deposit account only which only grows.

ltbewr

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 am

So far, I only see one women, no Black or Hispanic persons on this 'Super Committee'. I believe all of the Republicans are signees to the Norquist 'no taxes' pledge. So far none of these so far appointed members are from California, Florida, Texas, Illinois or New York and instead mainly rep smaller states.

I think this is committed is going to be worthless to any real reform.

par13del

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 27):

When all are named, we will get the economic profile of each member, then we will know whether there is any hope / chance for an agreement.

One also has to look at how many of them are "stringable", the masters don't have to be on the committee  

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 22):
Dollar for dollar? No thanks. It needs to include at least a small amount of interest.

You should be using a bank or IRA then.

Newark727

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 11):
I'm not a fan of this committee. Too much power centered on one, clearly partisan, group. Their imminent failure to come to some agreement will be a disaster.

Agreed. It doesn't even really matter whether its the Dems or Reps who budge less, this was Congress trying to cover its rear for being dysfunctional by creating another dysfunctional group instead.

StuckInCA

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 29):
You should be using a bank or IRA then.

You don't say? Well I'll just call up the government and tell them I'm going to stop paying into Social Security then.

If anyone thinks that it's a reasonable plan to suggest that you can only get out of SS what you put in then you really should be arguing for the complete elimination of the plan - and anything like it.

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 31):
If anyone thinks that it's a reasonable plan to suggest that you can only get out of SS what you put in then you really should be arguing for the complete elimination of the plan - and anything like it.

Not really. There are some people risk adverse enough that they don't wish to have their money in banks or other institutions. But SS as a blanket pension system is not going to work long-term, and has outlived its usefulness as such considering both longevity and the increase in individuals' need to continue working past 60.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:47 pm

one women

Who happens to be the most partisan so far.

Black or Hispanic persons

Pelosi has to go yet. Not to mention any Black or Hispanic lawmaker will just be in the camp of Murray and lead us to more deadlock.

Oh yea it sure will be. Like I said hello trigger.

AGM100

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Old Harry should have just appointed these bright and cheery citezens !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7L3xpElK0Y&feature=player_embedded

Dang these little kids may even make old AGM100's heart melt ... OK kids just tell me where to send the little money I have left !.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

aa757first

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:26 pm

So far, I only see one women, no Black or Hispanic persons on this 'Super Committee'. I believe all of the Republicans are signees to the Norquist 'no taxes' pledge. So far none of these so far appointed members are from California, Florida, Texas, Illinois or New York and instead mainly rep smaller states.

Demographics matter much less than personalities. I was hoping to see Feinstein and maybe Casey from the Democrats in the House, with Republicans appointing either Snowe or Collins. We need people who will get down to work and ignore politics to at least some extent. I don't know much about Baucus, but I'm a little concerned about Kerry and Murray.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 am

Quoting aa757first (Reply 35):
I was hoping to see Feinstein

You got Murray, they are one in the same.