Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AirPacific747
Topic Author

IPhone 5 Leaked?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:57 pm

According to a few different news sources, the new iP5 should have been leaked from Apple's own website:

http://showyou.com/v/14769888?u=motorik

If that is indeed the new iP5, then it is much of an improvement to the current one IMO.

Braniff747SP

RE: IPhone 5 Leaked?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm

It's a great fake. If you look, the link he clicks is a link that he put in.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Brendan03

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:34 pm

The biggest giveaway is the typography on the back.

When have Apple ever had that poorly printed branding on any of their products?

That just looks... poor.
Coolier than thou.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

I guess you guys are right.. I was just hoping the new iP5 would be that good looking, but I guess there is still a chance.. I think I will stick to my WP7 device though..

Brendan03

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 3):
I guess you guys are right.. I was just hoping the new iP5 would be that good looking, but I guess there is still a chance.. I think I will stick to my WP7 device though..

There are always these kinds of leaks and proposed designs in the lead-up to a massive release such as the iPhone. The best we can hope for is an actual leak where someone gets an actual phone, much like the iPhone 4 leak last year and even then you have to take them with a grain of salt most of the time.

iOS5 is steadily progressing but I doubt the phone will be released until the Golden Master (Final BETA) of iOS5 comes out.

Currently they're upto iOS5 beta 5 and it's getting much better with each beta release they come out with.
Coolier than thou.

Klaus

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Among multiple other mistakes, there's a prominent typo on one of the faked pages which would be rather uncharacteristic. Also, Apple would never show its product lying flat on its face in any presentation.

Plus, of course, their web sites are not prepared that long in advance. They won't get uploaded to the frontline servers earlier than very few days before the official presentation.

But theoretically, it's of course a good pretense for a fake.

The typo is just severely embarrassing with all the effort the creator put into it otherwise.

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
Among multiple other mistakes, there's a prominent typo on one of the faked pages which would be rather uncharacteristic. Also, Apple would never show its product lying flat on its face in any presentation.

Ahh yes, The Apple style/presentation guide.

I totally missed that one.

Well Played, Klaus.

I can't speak technically, but in my experience, The pages are uploaded (publicly, at least) about 10-30 minutes after a presentation concludes, in which the Apple Store online is taken offline, before returning with the items in question added to the store, as well as the page for the device itself (for example the 'iPhone' tab at the top of the website) being updated.
Coolier than thou.

Virginblue4

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 4):
Currently they're upto iOS5 beta 5 and it's getting much better with each beta release they come out with.

I know they said fall 2011, but do you have a rough idea of the release date?
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 320 321 332 F70 Q400
BE BY DL MT PC V7 VS WA ZB 6Y

bill142

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting virginblue4 (Reply 8):

Rumor has it 7 September, but that's purely rumor and speculation based on past releases by Apple.

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Quoting virginblue4 (Reply 8):
Quoting brendan03 (Reply 4):

I honestly don't know when they'll release it, other than Fall 2011, which starts on September 23. (I had to look it up myself, because our seasons are reversed down 'ere (and Our seasons start on the first of the month, rather than 2/3rs through it)

We'll just have to wait and see at this point.
Coolier than thou.

Klaus

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 7):
I can't speak technically, but in my experience, The pages are uploaded (publicly, at least) about 10-30 minutes after a presentation concludes, in which the Apple Store online is taken offline, before returning with the items in question added to the store, as well as the page for the device itself (for example the 'iPhone' tab at the top of the website) being updated.

Officially, yes. But there have been occasional "wardrobe malfunctions" before, when already staged replacement pages became visible prematurely a day before (such as the page for the PowerMac G5 before it was first presented).

Usually just for a short time, however (probably for all the time it took Apple's secrecy ninjas to swoop in and drag the unfortunate webmaster to one of the deeper dungeons for an appropriate debriefing...    ).

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 11):
Usually just for a short time, however (probably for all the time it took Apple's secrecy ninjas to swoop in and drag the unfortunate webmaster to one of the deeper dungeons for an appropriate debriefing... ).

I'd pay to watch that Keynote.   
Coolier than thou.

Klaus

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Current expectations hover around late September to October, but the tea leaves may not have settled down entirely...

What's relatively obvious, however, is that its launch will probably coincide with the official release of iOS5 which is the only thing that's actually been pre-announced for this fall.

Apple has not so much as acknowledged that there even will be an iPhone 5, nor of course that that's what it'll be called.

Ken777

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 am

I have to admit that who ever did the fake did a good job of designing it.

But there has long designers working on "Apple designs" without working for Apple. Some pretty bright people with some pretty decent designs at times. I'm taking about independent designers, not the competition!

As far as the iPhone5 goes, I'm waiting for it before replacing my 3Gs.

Klaus

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:03 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Some pretty bright people with some pretty decent designs at times. I'm taking about independent designers, not the competition!

Have you seen the rumoured iPhone designs in 2007? Most of them were hilarious, and none I know of came even close to the real thing, even if some of them were nicely done on the face of it.

Ken777

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:06 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
Have you seen the rumoured iPhone designs in 2007?

No,but I remember the analog dialing on the first one Steve Jobs showed.

Klaus

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:23 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 16):

Some of the "wild" designs were not far off from that one...

czbbflier

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 am

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 2):
When have Apple ever had that poorly printed branding on any of their products?

Actually, it's the "new" iPhone 5 that was found in the fake Apple stores in China.

The copycats got so bold they decided to do away with Apple's official product first, "copy" their concept of what the iPhone 5 might be like so they could to beat Apple to market.

That way they could charge Apple with copying their product design in Chinese courts and neutralize Apple's prosecution of their own shenanigans.

Brendan03

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:47 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 17):
Quoting Ken777 (Reply 16):

Some of the "wild" designs were not far off from that one...

The old Click-wheel design would have been perfect for that!

I recently saw someone on the train here in Melbourne using one of the original iPhones (which were never sold in Australia, from memory) and it made me smile, as I held my 4.

I have to say, I don't think I'll be lining up out in the cold for the release, but I probably won't be too far away, biding my time, depending on how I feel about the design.

It took me a month and a half to get my iPhone 4 and when I did, It only took like 5 days to get to me, which I had ordered over the phone. I realized last week that I'm coming up on a year of using the iPhone. (August 18).

I'm certainly interested to see what comes up.
Coolier than thou.

flyAUA

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:09 am

iPhones have always come out in the summer (June), so I am not sure if a next version will be out around now.

And that link is a real bad fake!
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!