Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Do You Wear Flip-Flops?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, I'm currently 25 and until about 2 months ago I had never worn flip flops. My girlfriend/fiance bought and brought home a pair one day and told me to start wearing them and I was a bit hesitant at first since it was something very foreign to me and out of my comfort zone.

Well here we are about 2 months later and the only time I wear my tennis shoes is to work out. Occasionally, I will wear my boots or a pair of shoes to dinner, but 80% of the time I'm now wearing my Rider flip flops.

Oh how times change....

Do you wear flip flops?
Christopher W Slovacek

desertjets

RE: Do You Wear Flip-Flops?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Nope. I had a comfy pair of Sanuks I bought 5-6 years ago, but I think they were gotten rid of in the last big move I made. They were a big upgrade over the cheapie ones found @ Old Navy or Payless, and they were comfy, I just could never wear them if I was doing a longer (>1 hr drive).

now I do have a pair of Columbia sandals that I should really replace, I wear them pretty much everywhere in the summer time and around the house year round or if I am lazy and need to go outside and don't feel like tying my shoelaces.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

NIKV69

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Much like resisting the evil Apple empire I resist flip flops I do wear a nice pair of Sketchers sandals but they don't qualify   
I am the Googlizer!!!

dumbell2424

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Thread starter):
girlfriend/fiance

Well which is she?  

And yes. I've been rocking a pair, actually on third now, of these forever:

GrahamHill

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:28 pm

I have flip-flops, but only to wear inside my apartment. I use them as slippers.

When I go out, I don't.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

ALTF4

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 pm

I used to, but they tend to make your feet stink (or is that just a problem I have? Its only with flip flops, none of my regular shoes stink!). They seem to be flimsy anyway. I found an awesome pair of trail running shoes I wear everywhere except to work and formal events. Most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

GrahamHill

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 5):
trail running shoes

Can I dare to ask what brand and model? I'm interested!  

tz757300

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Oh yes I do. Growing up on the beach, it is pretty much the norm to wear them everywhere. I do resort to shows from November to March (some people don't even do that around here).

Brendan03

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Absolutely not. I detest open footwear, particularly Flip-flops (or thongs in Australia)

I've got a couple dozen pair of Sneakers and even in the height of summer when it's over 100ºF/37ºC I'll still be wearing Sneakers and usually Jeans (or atleast heavy denim shorts)

Plus I've always been of the opinion Flip-flops screw up your feet.
Coolier than thou.

bill142

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 pm

I wear a pair of black Havianas, the other kind of thong.

einsteinboricua

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Yes I do. For a quick ride to the corner store and back, nothing beat the convenience and comfort.

I bought Crocs...waiting for something to happen to them. Comfortable? Yes. Stylish? No
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

flybaurlax

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 pm

I love wearing flip flops! People could easily tell I was from California when I was at Purdue in Indiana, because I wore my board shorts and flip flops all the time. These are the pair I have:
http://shop.reef.com/leather-fanning/d/1020
They really come in handy at parties and whatnot, especially at the beach, since they have a bottle opener on the bottom. I bought a pair for a friend of mine a few years ago that contained a flask in each sandal.

I usually don't wear them if I have to walk more than a mile at a time (e.g. walking to class was OK, but doing errands by foot would hurt after a while). Otherwise I wear them unless I'm on my motorcycle or working in an environment where I need to stand all day or need closed toed shoes.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Call me weird, but I only wear my flip flps after I shower. For some reason, I can't bring myself to put them on right after I've worn some normal tennis shoes or the like. I feel like I'm keeping them clean and smelling like roses by doing this.
Christopher W Slovacek

Springbok747

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 9):

Same here. Black as well..but I wear them only inside the house, and for short errands..like going to the local 7/11 at 6 in the morning to get milk. Other than that..don't wear them outside the house.
אני תומך בישראל

Mir

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I've got a pair that looks somewhat like this:

Their sole purpose is to be worn when I go from my apartment to the basement (mostly to go to the laundry room). Never outside the apartment, never inside the apartment.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

einsteinboricua

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):

I had one of those WAY back. Very comfortable too.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Mike89406

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Mostly during the summer however it's the style here in San Diego year round. Jeans & Flip-Flops or Shorts & Flip-Flops, Sweater & Flip-Flops

Regards, Mike

extspotter

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 pm

I wear flipflops all the time all year round, when I went to uni people would always say how it looks like I am always going to the beach due to the fact I always wear flip flops and shorts, even in the middle of winter... Once you wear in a reasonable cheap pair then they are more than comfortable enough, however the expensive ones are generally much much nicer to walk around in.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

BAViscount

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Thread starter):
Do you wear flip flops?

No I don't, I can't stand that little bit of rubber between my toes! Besides, it's only ever really warm enough to wear them on about 10 days a year in the UK...I'd rather just sweat it out in my trainers on those days!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

vikkyvik

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Someone bought me a pair last year for use when going to beach volleyball.

I wore them specifically for that for awhile. Never got used to them, and haven't worn them in over half a year.

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 11):
They really come in handy at parties and whatnot, especially at the beach, since they have a bottle opener on the bottom.

Ewwwww.....I don't want my bottle opened by something that's been on your feet!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Moose135

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 am

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 8):
I've got a couple dozen pair of Sneakers and even in the height of summer when it's over 100ºF/37ºC I'll still be wearing Sneakers and usually Jeans

You and me both, Brendan. I've never worn flip flops, sandals or the like - well, at least since I was 3 years old.

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 11):
...since they have a bottle opener on the bottom.

That's why I carry my Swiss Army Knife (in the pocket of my jeans).
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Braniff747SP

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 am

Only if I'm going to the beach, or the pool. Otherwise, never; I don't understand walking barefoot ether.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

LAXintl

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:37 am

Virtually never, and never outdoors except at the beach.

Flip flops are podiatrist best friends thanks to all the injury caused to people wearing them from simple stubbed toes and cuts, to more serious inflammation, stress fractures, arch injuries, sprained ankles, ligament injuries. Plus off course your feet are always dirty and subject to the environment. Yuck!
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

WarRI1

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:37 am

I have worn them since 1956, I started wearing them in the service, for shower clogs, and around the barracks. I wear them, all summer in the yard. I use them for house slippers, all year. I of course have separate pairs for the yard, and in the house. I prefer the all rubber ones, or whatever material they are made of.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

airkas1

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 4):
I have flip-flops, but only to wear inside my apartment. I use them as slippers.

When I go out, I don't.

^, but if the weather is good (and on holiday) I wear them outside aswell.
I'm a big fan of Reef (can't find the exact pair, but they look something like this):

Best thing is, it takes years to fully wear them down that you need to buy a new pair.

LH526

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:55 am

In my eyes, (and many others agree) wearing flip-flops alone is not a bad thing to do in fashion. With a white shirt and some shorts one can look way better than a guy in a Hard Rock tshirt, jeans and Cordovan shoes.
As always. it's all about the mix, style and cut! Wearing a badly cut suit is worse than wearing none at all with only black pants, a well taylored cufflink shirt and a perfetc tie.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

allrite

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:25 am

Havianas

When the (expletive) did thongs become Havaianas here in Australia? According to their website they were "launched" here a decade ago but we were wearing rubber thongs that looked the same more than thirty years ago. And they cost a couple of bucks, if that. Fortunately you can still pay that much if you go down to the local BigW or wait for a pair to wash up from Indonesia, but they seem to have turned into relatively expensive fashion items elsewhere.

I have two pairs (and they aint Havaianas). One for the front garden which occasionally get as far as the local pool, one for the back garden for when I risk walking on dog poo. I can't understand how anyone would want to spend a day wearing them unless you were at the beach. Uncomfortable, just convenient.
I like artificial banana essence!

Stealthz

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 22):
to all the injury caused to people wearing them

Sadly not confined to those wearung them...

Quote:
Three elderly women were killed this morning in Albany, New York, when a 55-year-old woman driving a Toyota Highlander drove into a group of people standing on the sidewalk. Unintended acceleration? Not so much. Her flip-flop was caught under the gas pedal.....
http://jalopnik.com/5829745/three-ki...ta-elderly-unintended-acceleration
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

ALTF4

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 6):

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 5):
trail running shoes

Can I dare to ask what brand and model? I'm interested!

Yeah, I'll let you know when I get home and can look  
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

exFATboy

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:25 pm

I wear them to the beach, and occasionally out when shopping, to a very casual restaurant, and so on...but I live in Florida, so it's generally acceptable. I have ugly feet, though - brittle nails and dry skin - so I generally only wear them around the house or to the beach. I can't stand driving in them.

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 3):
And yes. I've been rocking a pair, actually on third now, of these forever:
Quoting Mir (Reply 14):

Those aren't really flip-flops...a true "flip-flop" just has the single connection between the big toe and the...next biggest toe, whatever the second little piggy is properly called. Those are more "sandals" or "shower sandals", at least here in the States.

Quoting allrite (Reply 26):
I can't understand how anyone would want to spend a day wearing them unless you were at the beach. Uncomfortable, just convenient.

I have a pair of Reefs similar to the ones in reply 24, and they're surprisingly comfy. The cheaper, flat-bottomed ones aren't very comfortable, though.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 22):
Plus of course your feet are always dirty and subject to the environment. Yuck!

Agree to an extent - I never wore flip-flops (or sandals, either) outside in New York City because of the "yuck" factor. But there are other settings, particularly the beach, where sure, your feet may get dirty, but it's the sort of dirty (or sandy) that's just...well, natural, and washes off your feet a lot easier than your shoes. Especially with beach sand...how does sand get into shoes in such a way that you're still finding it weeks later?

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 5):
I used to, but they tend to make your feet stink (or is that just a problem I have? Its only with flip flops, none of my regular shoes stink!).

May be the material involved - rubber flops give me a bit of stank-foot too, but no problem with leather. (I can't wear watches with plastic straps either, the skin of my wrist starts sweating profusely and smells bad by the end of the day.)

If you don't mind the style and colours, you could try the Crocs as in reply 3, the plastic is designed to be odor-resistant.

aa61hvy

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I love flip flops. My weekend uniform is flip flops, shorts, tshirt and ball cap.

I wear brown leather Reef sandals.
Go big or go home

GIANCAVIA

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

I hate seeing peoples feet and cant stand flip flops! yuck indeed.

Speedbird741

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Yes, I have used them for as long as I can remember. I use them all the time when in Portugal and Angola or in Evanston when the temperature permits doing so. Only Havaianas however as I can't get accustomed to anything else, and currently just like the following:

http://www.legendfootwear.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/B/r/Brasil-4-L_Orange1_7.jpg

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):

Do tell me that unlike a large percentage of those who use that particular flip flop, you do not wear them along with socks.

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 31):
I hate seeing peoples feet

Oh my, I love to. Only nice ones though 

Speedbird741
Boa noite Faro, Air Portugal 257 climbing flight level 340

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Nothing wrong with a woman's pretty feet  
Christopher W Slovacek

GrahamHill

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 28):
Yeah, I'll let you know when I get home and can look

Thank you  

I certainly do not mind at all looking at women's feet!

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 32):

Oh my, I love to. Only nice ones though

Anyone who wears flip-flips a lot won't have nice feet, therefor, It's a false economy.
Coolier than thou.

DFWHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 pm

I've known girls who have worn them all the time for years and must say they are still pretty darn nice
Christopher W Slovacek

RobertNL070

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Yep, Havaianas, three pairs: one pair of green, one dark blue for showering in the gym, and my favourites with a beige sole and light blue thong which I can't get clean. I've been blessed with nice looking feet without any warts, bunions, cracked or chipped nails or other unsightly afflictions  
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

MadameConcorde

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 pm

I have tried walking with them and somehow I can't so I never bought them.
I don't think I want to try again. I do not think they are my style anyway.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Speedbird741

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 35):
Anyone who wears flip-flips a lot won't have nice feet

Seems to be the prevailing thought in this thread, and is all but true in my opinion. Surely enough, your feet will be exposed to the elements and (depending on the flip flop) to a less adequate material. Therefore, your skin might become rougher and dirtier. However, there is a little something called personal hygiene. Washing your feet with greater frequency, exfoliating, and applying cream would all qualify. If one is not capable or willing to do this, his or her use of flip flops should be rethought  
Quoting brendan03 (Reply 35):
It's a false economy.

Say what?

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 37):
I've been blessed with nice looking feet

Yep, I believe I have as well. Another reason for me to use flip flops so often 

Speedbird741
Boa noite Faro, Air Portugal 257 climbing flight level 340

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 39):

Say what?

As you may be able to tell, I'm very anti flip-flops. I believe the rubber between the toes causes your foot to disform over a long period of time.

Still, they're not as bad as those ballet slipper* parasol things. Yuerck.

*Slipper, not Sleeper. I've been reading too many Railway articles.

[Edited 2011-08-11 13:12:11]
Coolier than thou.

Aeroflot001

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Having Just come back from Puerto Rico, I bought 2 pairs, a nice more Clarks leather ones from Macys for $30 dollars for walking around near the beach or at home or when I step outside to go to the neighbors or a late run to Publix and then a $5 simple plastic pair from old Navy to wear to the beach that can actually get wet. Ive been wearing flipflops practically all my life.

dragon-wings

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:06 pm

In the summer time I wear them all the time around the house. When I go out to the store or something like that I will put on socks and shoes, but when Im home it's just flip flops for me. Cuts down on washing socks all the time too!

These are the ones I have
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...o=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70732|81550&sa=1
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

RobertNL070

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 40):
I believe the rubber between the toes causes your foot to disform over a long period of time.

Allow me to reassure you: I've been wearing flip-flops - weather and temperature permitting - for a very long time (decades!) The first thing I do when I get home from work and after greeting the cats is to remove my shoes and socks and slip on something more relaxing, flip-flops. I live in the centre of a small city and I'll often walk to the bakery and/or the newspaper shop in flip-flops. No misformed feet here.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 43):
Quoting brendan03 (Reply 40):
I believe the rubber between the toes causes your foot to disform over a long period of time.

Allow me to reassure you: I've been wearing flip-flops - weather and temperature permitting - for a very long time (decades!) The first thing I do when I get home from work and after greeting the cats is to remove my shoes and socks and slip on something more relaxing, flip-flops. I live in the centre of a small city and I'll often walk to the bakery and/or the newspaper shop in flip-flops. No misformed feet here.

This:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flops#Safety_concerns

I think I'll stick with either being barefoot around the house or wearing my Sneakers or Boots.

Besides, There's nothing worse than someone who has a 'second toe' longer than their big toe.

That's just nauseating.
Coolier than thou.

GIANCAVIA

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 44):
I think I'll stick with either being barefoot around the house or wearing my Sneakers or Boots.

Besides, There's nothing worse than someone who has a 'second toe' longer than their big toe.

That's just nauseating.

haha yuck.. yuck x2 for all the weird foot fetish people.

aa61hvy

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 44):

I think that's a recessive gene. I don't mind it, but then again I rarely look at peoples feet.
Go big or go home

ha763

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:55 pm

I wear slippers. Us locals in Hawaii never call them flip flops. Living in Hawaii my whole life, I have always worn slippers. I have played sports, walked long distances, walked over sharp, jagged lava rocks, etc while wearing them. I have four pairs that I use. One for inside the house, one for the yard, one to go out with, and one in the car for those times I go out after work.

HSVXJ

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 am

Here in the Philippines, it's part of the national dress. It seems everyone wears them everywhere; just look at the front door of any house and you'll see a pile of them just outside. I wear them everywhere at home, but outside of the house, I wear them just walking around the immediate area. Any further out, it's shoes and socks for me. I have to be cautious when getting on the back of a full jeepney, though. Everyone is sitting with their flip-flops (slippers or tsinilas here) out in the aisle, and I have to be careful to avoid crushing their toes with my enormous boots.

I've worn them as far back as I could remember. I grew up in Hawaii where wearing a pair of "slee-pahs" was commonplace. In the mainland, I rarely wore them at all. My preference is barefoot or shoes. Since college, though, I've always worn them when taking a shower in any shared facility.

Chris
Nature forms us for ourselves, not for others; to be, not to seem.

jcs17

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 am

I wear Abercrombie & Fitch treads down to a science. They last approximately 1.5 years per pair and I plan in advance and have a pair ready. I wear them around the house and outside while I'm not at work.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!