Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thomasphoto60
Topic Author

Your Local Airport In Films, Tv

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm

JFK, LAX, SFO, IAD, MIA, HNL, ORD are America's "star" airports, often featured in films, tv, ect......but what about us in the hinterlands?

For example, my hometown airport of MSP was used for the filming of "Airport", but Minneapolis was never referenced, rather it was the fictional "Lincoln Int'l" in Chicago. My current home airports of IAH and HOU, very little if any that I can recall. Now IAH did have a of an bit unidentified role in the early 70s hit 'Airport' . The scene involves Burt Lancaster's character arguing with a city councilman about noise abatement. If you notice on the wall behind Lancaster, is the layout of today's IAH runway and roadway configurations, though the terminal layouts are very different. What is interesting is that when this film was made, IAH was just opened (69) and only had 2 runways, the map shows 4 runways, almost current with today's layout (sans 26R/08L).

So what about your airport?
"Show me the Braniffs"

RmTrice

RE: Your Local Airport In Films, Tv

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:51 pm

My home airport, DTW, was used during Up In The Air (the NWA signage was replaced with American Airlines...which made me sick lol) as well as The Karate Kid (2010) where a brief view out of an aircraft window showed a Northwest DC-9 in Delta colors at the gate at the McNamara Terminal.

I'm pretty sure there are a few more movie/tv spots that highlight the Detroit airport, but I'm young and this is what I recall in my immediate memory haha

splitterz

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:11 pm

My home airport, OMA, was the star in Up in the air  

Goldenshield

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:17 pm

ONT is the airport of choice for many productions, commercials, and page ads. SNA managed to get featured in The Hangover 2, though.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

kl911

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Munich, the movie was partly shot in Budapest, Puskás Ferenc Stadium. Im almost sure the airport scenes were either at BUD or an airfield nearby Budapest.

LAXintl

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 3):
ONT is the airport of choice for many productions, commercials, and page ads.

they have an entire vacant terminal dedicated for shooting.

Also they have aircraft (the LAWA 727) hangars, and tower available for productions.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jmy007

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:00 pm

STL was used for interior and exterior shots of the classic "Trains, Planes and Automobiles"

There are some great shots of the old "East Terminal" as well as images the old orange and red carpets of the concourses.
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

c172akula

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:06 pm

YYC was used in the Disney film Snow Dogs, although it appeared as ANC in the film.

kiwiinoz

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:19 am

I'm glad someone started this thread, as there is an airport scene that has been bothering me for decades.

Case in point: I watched one of the Cheech and Chong movies, (can't remember which one.....a long time ago), and I could swear that the airport scene at the end is AKL

This makes no sense at all but I remember being quite sure when I saw it. Can anyone shed any light, (sorry my memory is so patchy.....)

BMI727

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 am

Quoting jmy007 (Reply 6):
STL was used for interior and exterior shots of the classic "Trains, Planes and Automobiles"

Don't forget Up In The Air.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Maverick623

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:33 am

PHX was the site of Steven Spielberg's first ever film (a short montage of airplanes, of course), an aerial shot was used at the beginning of the first Twilight film, and supposedly there have been a few... adult scenes filmed there.

A full list, from IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?loc...evard,%20Phoenix,%20Arizona,%20USA
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Superfly

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:16 am

GYY - Gary, Indiana, by city of birth.
It was in the movie 'Original Gangsters'.
Leading star and Gary native - Fred Williamson landed in GYY in a Lear jet and was picked up in a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic taxi.

ORD, SFO and LAX has been used in many films. Not sure about movies that includes BKK or DMK.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 3):
SNA managed to get featured in The Hangover 2, though.

I was walking around as an extra while they were filming here in Bangkok when Bill Clinton was in town. I saw the movie but couldn't find myself in the film.
Bring back the Concorde

dragon-wings

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:12 am

Part of the 1970 film "The Out of Towners" starring Jack Lemmon was filmed at Islip MacArthur airport.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

STT757

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:59 am

Newark (EWR)

Quick Change

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Change

I was there while they were filming, they were pretending it was JFK but in fact it was Terminal C at EWR.

Private Parts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Parts_(1997_film)

Miami Vice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Vice

Where they go to NY

Outrageous Fortune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outrageous_Fortune_(film)
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Moose135

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:09 pm

At Republic Airport (FRG) Royal Pains, Ugly Betty, The Colbert Report, and Boardwalk Empire have all shot scenes. Most recently, we have had two separate shoots for the new series Pan Am with the Historical Flight Foundation's DC-7.

http://www.moose135photography.com/American-Airpower-Museum/Eastern-Pan-Am-DC-7/JM20110318PanAmShoot008/1220628616_8WWdo-L.jpg
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

stratosphere

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 13):
Newark (EWR)

Quick Change

Actually EWR Newark interior was also in the original Crocodile Dundee when she first brought him to the US. Was either term A or B.