Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Superfly
Topic Author

I Like German Pork Knuckle

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Schweinshaxe_Chiang_Mai.JPG

Any fans here of German pork knuckle?
Also known as Schweinshaxe ʃvaɪns.haksə in German.
This year I’ve been on a German pork knuckle kick.
I’ve made friends with a few German expats here in Thailand they’ve turned my on to eating pork knuckle. I make it a point to eat knuckle at two of my favorite German restaurants here in Thailand. Taste great with Sauerkraut and fried potatoes (bratkartoffeln).
All of this washed down with a pint of Warsteiner beer taste incredible. It’s enough to feed a moose.
Bring back the Concorde

travelavnut

RE: I Like German Pork Knuckle

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:43 am

Yup, count me in! Was in Munchen few weeks ago and enjoyed this tender delight more than once!

It's actually the knee of a pork, correct?
Live From Amsterdam!

signol

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 am

Usually I'd agree with you, they are delicious. Also in Czech. But I had one in Munich airport that was way too dry and salty.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Brendan03

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 am

I went to a place in Sydney a couple of years ago (Lowenbrau Keller?) and they had this 'meat platter' which was... Well, I'll just say it was Epic, by all nature of the word.

The centerpiece of the platter was a Pork Knuckle, other bits included Schnitzel, Frankfurts, Bacon, Ham, Bratwurst and probably a few others I can't think of right now as well as some divine mashed potato.

The Germans really do know their meats.
Coolier than thou.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 am

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 1):

Not sure, I've never seen the slaughter of the pig.

Quoting signol (Reply 2):
Usually I'd agree with you, they are delicious. Also in Czech. But I had one in Munich airport that was way too dry and salty.

My guess is that they're not easy to make. I've had one that was over-cooked and it had the texture of a rubber-duckie.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 am

I love pork knuckle, sadly this delight has not yet reached the fair shores of food hell (Norway). Whenever I'm in Germany I make sure I have one (or two).

Rara

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 am

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 1):

Correct - more precisely the part between knee and foot.

I rarely eat it, but my (Beijing-native) girlfriend loves it.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

kiwiandrew

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
Also known as Schweinshaxe

Oh yeah, bring it on. Germany has not made too many great contributions to the world of cuisine, but this would have to be counted as one which they got right.

PanHAM

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 7):
Oh yeah, bring it on. Germany has not made too many great contributions to the world of cuisine, but this would have to be counted as one which they got right.

You should read some stories about Eckart Witzigmann, besides that he#s Austrian, his prfessional career was in Germany. There are a good number of Michelin starred rstaurants in Germany with excellent cuisine.

Pork knuckles and sauerkraut may be connected with German cuisine and as long the knuckles are grilled they are even edible, besides that we can take it up with France any time.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

pelican

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 am

You should try "Eisbein" (German = ice leg or ice bone) it's the cured and cooked variation of pork knuckle and is common in the norther parts of Germany. Although I usally avoid pork, I have to eat Eisbein once in a while.   

pelican

poz2brs

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:28 am

I Like German Pork Knuckle  
It’s enough to feed a moose.
I'm finding it hard to believe, I'm in Devon.

JJJ

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 am

German style, IIRC is pickled then boiled.

Here you get that usually roasted raw minus skin and part of the outer fat and it's called "codillo". Alternatively, part of a pot roast.

Typical of some areas like Murcia.

MillwallSean

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 am

Superfly; name the places thats good in BKK. Ill give them a try on my usual stopovers there.
Only german place Ive tried in BKK was something Otto located on a soi ? Sukhumvit.

Germany has not made too many great contributions to the world of cuisine, but this would have to be counted as one which they got right.

German cuisine is the leader in western world when it comes to pastry and desserts. Its cuisine has brought us alot, from danish (german pastrychefs scabbing in Denmark) to marzipan. I think we underestimate Germanys influence on western cooking traditions.
The german speaking areas have some of Europes top restaurant schools and a variety of dishes that few can compete with.

If your in Auckland NZ (foodhell indeed -thank god for the recent Asian immigration before that it must have been an absolute nightmare). We have Der Metz its hit and run but for 20 odd dollars its worth it. There is also an Austrian place, Carinthia, its better in my humble opinion. The two serve virtually the same food but since this is a german food thread lets stick to Der Metz.
Used to be a Berliner Restaurant in Mt Eden but it closed before I had the chance to venture there. Pity since it would have been walking distance from my NZ property...

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 5):
I love pork knuckle, sadly this delight has not yet reached the fair shores of food hell (Norway). Whenever I'm in Germany I make sure I have one (or two).

Since the restaurant usually refreed to as the worlds best El Bulli now is closed, (I never went and thats crocodile tears) I see our Scandinavian mates in Denmark has managed to gain the number one spot with its Noma. Denmark also won the worlds top chef award, yet again.
Denmark is a hotspot for food and has some of the best restaurants and chefs in the world right now. Take a flight down to Copenhagen when you want to eat like a king...
Norway does have some fine dining though, six or seven restaurants with Michelin stars, not that bad for a small country. I dont want to see the prices there though...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 am

Germany has not made too many great contributions to the world of cuisine, but this would have to be counted as one which they got right.

Germany is under-rated in the world of cuisine. Pork knuckle, Schnitzel, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut are all amazing dishes. Not to mention all of their great beers.

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 3):
The centerpiece of the platter was a Pork Knuckle, other bits included Schnitzel, Frankfurts, Bacon, Ham, Bratwurst and probably a few others I can't think of right now as well as some divine mashed potato.

Now that is a taste of heaven!   

Quoting JJJ (Reply 11):
Here you get that usually roasted raw minus skin and part of the outer fat and it's called "codillo". Alternatively, part of a pot roast.

I've had that style before. It was ok but I prefer the crispy skin version.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 12):
German cuisine is the leader in western world when it comes to pastry and desserts.

I have weird taste because I prefer American desserts such as oatmeal & raisin cookies, plain cheesecake and fruitcake.

Superfly; name the places thats good in BKK. Ill give them a try on my usual stopovers there.
Only german place Ive tried in BKK was something Otto located on a soi ? Sukhumvit.

Old German Beer House on Sukhumvit Soi 11. The place you're thinking of is Bei Otto on Sukhumvit Soi 20.

Quoting poz2brs (Reply 10):

Oh my gosh!
What have I started?!?!   
Bring back the Concorde

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Yummy!

A thread about food and especially German food. Thanks Superfly.

Schweinshaxe, Spanferkel, Sauerbraten, Rehbraten, the 1,500 varieties of Wurst...

Sauerkraut, Rotkohl, Spargel (asparagus)...

But I also like fish, especially Rollmops, Matjeshering, Brathering, weisse and rote Heringsalat...

As to the cheeses, Räucherkäse, Blauschimmel Brie, Allgäuer Emmentaler...

All this talk of food has made me hungry. I'm off to raid the fridge.  

Zkpilot

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 pm

you only "like" German Pork Knuckle?... change that to "love" for me! yum!!
In Singapore of all places (very filling BTW):

In Germany:

a half eaten one at Oktoberfest:

and Pork Knuckle to go....

64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

NoUFO

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 pm

with a pint of Warsteiner beer

One of the worst beers around here.
I support the right to arm bears

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:08 pm

If your in Auckland NZ (foodhell indeed -thank god for the recent Asian immigration before that it must have been an absolute nightmare).

I remember Auckland prior to the Asian invasion, it wasn't so bad, worlds away from the current situation in Norway,

Since the restaurant usually refreed to as the worlds best El Bulli now is closed, (I never went and thats crocodile tears) I see our Scandinavian mates in Denmark has managed to gain the number one spot with its Noma. Denmark also won the worlds top chef award, yet again.
Denmark is a hotspot for food and has some of the best restaurants and chefs in the world right now. Take a flight down to Copenhagen when you want to eat like a king...
Norway does have some fine dining though, six or seven restaurants with Michelin stars, not that bad for a small country. I dont want to see the prices there though...

I get to Denmark and Sweden often, and have been really enjoying my last few trips to the UK, plus looking forward to my favourite resturant in Russia, Stroganoff, next month.

I can't understand why food is generally so bad in Norway, Sweden and Denmark are fantastic places to visit for foodies, but Norwegians are basic people, with basic tastes, all they like is potatoes, hotdogs, cod and pizza (I know mild generalisation but not far from the truth). If you've even been into a Norwegian supermarket you'll understand, they have so little choice and variety, it's so sad.

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 17):
they have so little choice and variety, it's so sad.

A bit like before the "Asian invasion" would you say?  

Actually, from your definition of supermarkets, it is not too different from supermarkets here in Australia. Mass produced high volume selling articles that people can simply reheat without much effort. If you want decent food, you have go to a real market and shops outside of the chains. How common they are in Norway I don't know but fortunately you can still find alternatives to the bland ready-mades in Perth, if you are prepared to look and have (or make) the time to do so.

comorin

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:29 pm

The best German meals are fruhstuck (beakfast) and abendessen (supper). Germans (and the Dutch) bake the best bread and you have all this wonderful stuff to eat with it. In the evening, you get a slice of Bauernbrot, smear some butter and preserves on it, and wash it down with a glass of milk from friendly Schleswig Holstein cows. At least that's the way it was 50 years ago  

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 18):
A bit like before the "Asian invasion" would you say?

Nope, like Auckland in the 50-60's before the Dutch arrived would be closer to the truth.

Quoting Quokka (Reply 18):
How common they are in Norway I don't know

You'll find a hens tooth before you'll find a farmers market in Norway.

Quokka

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):
You'll find a hens tooth before you'll find a farmers market in Norway.

That is sad. But I remember years ago British (and Tasmanian) horticulturalists being told that they could not grow certain apples - the customer wouldn't buy them. In reality the supermarkets didn't want to stock them because a uniform size, colour and appearance "appealed" more than anything that actually taste real.

Here in Perth we at least have Elmar's, who produces many products in the style of what you can find in Germany. We also have a restaurant in the Swan Valley called "Duckstein", which despite its ungainly name is German owned and operated. How else would one explain our turning up and saying we have a booking for five people only to be told, "No. I have a booking for four people and one child"? Their range of beers includes Hefeweiss, a Pilsner, Dunkel and Altbier. They also offers varietals of seasonal beer such as Maibock and Festbier for the Oktoberfest. .

andz

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 pm

In this country, the schweinhaxe is called eisbein. I made the mistake of ordering eisbein in Duesseldorf. This quivering white blob arrived, I went WTF?

Lesson learned. Best haxe I ever had was at Schweine Janes in Duesseldorf Altstadt

http://www.schweinejanes.de/
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

lewis

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Used to eat a lot of that in Munich. In general I was thrilled with the German (and more specifically Bavarian) cuisine, a lot of meat, big portions, great tasting food overall!

Zkpilot

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 pm

If your in Auckland NZ (foodhell indeed -thank god for the recent Asian immigration before that it must have been an absolute nightmare).

Not sure what you are talking about... New Zealand has always had access to some of the best produce, meat etc in the world! Its cuisine was perhaps not as varied as some other larger countries, but it had a fair influence from UK/Europe/USA. Like most countries around the world dining out was not as popular as it is today so perhaps that is what you are referring to...less restaurants. In fact New Zealanders prior to 20 years ago were a lot healthier with less obesity than today....go figure.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 17):
I remember Auckland prior to the Asian invasion, it wasn't so bad, worlds away from the current situation in Norway,

Kiwirob

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 24):
Like most countries around the world dining out was not as popular as it is today so perhaps that is what you are referring to...less restaurants.

As kids my mum and dad took my sister and I out to dinner once a week, (not Cobb & Co or Pizza Hut) that was 38 years ago, Auckland has always had plenty of places to eat.

Revelation

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Germany is under-rated in the world of cuisine. Pork knuckle, Schnitzel, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut are all amazing dishes. Not to mention all of their great beers.

I love the thousands of variations on potato salad, and of course the Bavarian Pretzel!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

kiwiandrew

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Used to be a Berliner Restaurant in Mt Eden but it closed before I had the chance to venture there. Pity since it would have been walking distance from my NZ property...

Take it from me, it was superb, one of my favourite restaurants, the venison saddle for two was incredible. We always left the car at home when we went so that we could walk dinner off on the way home. ( and so that we could indulge in the great wine list)

MillwallSean

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Any cuisine that comes with a huge jug of beer deserves full praise in my book.
order A beer at FRA and see the size of it.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Old German Beer House on Sukhumvit Soi 11. The place you're thinking of is Bei Otto on Sukhumvit Soi 20.

Ah thanks, remember bei otto through tinted glasses, went there after ten Tigers...

In Asia there are many great german places.
In Singapore i wouldnt go Brotzkeit, its a chain of restaurants and lack consistency.
However there is Werners. Classic german style food and the best pork knuckeles in Singapore.
Also an Austrian/german sausage maker in Chinatown that makes sausages to die for.

In Kota Kinabalu there used to be a place called gunters. run by a huge (100kg plus) Bavarian that cooked and drank beer all evening. Great place and if you said hi to him he made food that were great.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 24):
Not sure what you are talking about... New Zealand has always had access to some of the best produce, meat etc in the world! Its cuisine was perhaps not as varied as some other larger countries, but it had a fair influence from UK/Europe/USA. Like most countries around the world dining out was not as popular as it is today so perhaps that is what you are referring to...less restaurants. In fact New Zealanders prior to 20 years ago were a lot healthier with less obesity than today....go figure.

I think you overestimate NZ produce here. Some are good, some great and some soso, just like almost all otehr countries. Many countries make great beef, the ones that cans ell it with the highest price premium tend to be South American.
What I think you missed was that UK/Europe/US had lots of restaurants and people on the streets after 7pm, 20 years ago too.
Thats what Asian immigration has brought Auckland and I am eternally grateful for it. That and higher property-prices (thanks for that too)...
Personally I dont think restaurants have increased obesity. The explosion of fastfoodjoints, no public transport and playstation plus the reform to sell alcohol in supermarket (I support it) seems more likely factors to me. Especially considering the lower the social domicile is the higher the obesity rate is in NZ...

I went to Merediths in July. Supposed to be number one in NZ. For finedining Auckland really lacks what you would look expect from a city its size. there is nothing that would be close to a Michelin star for instance.

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 27):
Take it from me, it was superb, one of my favourite restaurants, the venison saddle for two was incredible. We always left the car at home when we went so that we could walk dinner off on the way home. ( and so that we could indulge in the great wine list)

Ah that saddens me. I walk down to Mt Eden every week, just sit at Moltens little annex having a glas of wine usually.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

Zkpilot

Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:57 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 28):

I think you overestimate NZ produce here. Some are good, some great and some soso, just like almost all otehr countries. Many countries make great beef, the ones that cans ell it with the highest price premium tend to be South American.
What I think you missed was that UK/Europe/US had lots of restaurants and people on the streets after 7pm, 20 years ago too.

You want the best lamb in the world? New Zealand...
The best beef in the world (besides Wagyu/kobe, New Zealand Beef would be there with the best in South America. Proper grass feed rather than the nasty and cheaper grain fed varieties available elsewhere in the world (NZ is lucky to have the ideal climate for that). NZs single biggest export is agriculture (dairy, beef, lamb, vegetables etc), also NZ wine is considered to be the best when it comes to Sauvignon Blanc, and many of its Pinot Noirs are considered to be the equal of anything out of the Napa Valley, CA (which itself took from Burgundy, France). I could go on. Basically the mild and moderate climate of New Zealand (with some regions getting suitable variations), allows for amazing agricultural growth.
As for the 7pm thing that had absolutely nothing to do with Asian immigration... That was purely government policy dating back a long time of restricting alcohol in the evenings (the famous 6 o'clock swil - order up what you can then knock it back before the pub closed). Hard to run a restaurant without wine etc...

I went to Merediths in July. Supposed to be number one in NZ. For finedining Auckland really lacks what you would look expect from a city its size. there is nothing that would be close to a Michelin star for instance.

Merediths is hardly number one in NZ...! Hell its not even in the city its on Dominion Road past Eden Park.
As for Michelin Star restaurants... agreed... there are none and likely probably won't be... Kiwis don't tend to fuss over things like that... they tend to prefer quality at a reasonable price rather than some arty psuedo fancy place where you leave hungry unless you leave an arm and a leg behind.
I live in London these days and have been all over the world and a lot of those Michelin Star restaurants really are over-rated. Auckland in particular does have several classy and expensive restaurants that you will get as good as most places around the world. One area where NZ does not do much of however is silver service type dining... I guess by the time NZ was settled properly the old ways and Victorian era were closing so there is a lack of this... likewise Kiwis don't do much in the way of black-tie or white-tie functions, most don't have a dinner suit (tuxedo), and many have never ever needed to wear one (often the school ball/prom is the only time....most weddings in NZ don't).
I find that both a good and bad thing... good in that its one less expense and less stiff and fake, bad in that its nice to get dressed up... I have a bespoke tuxedo that I never get to wear!   lol

kiwiandrew

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:18 am

Thats what Asian immigration has brought Auckland and I am eternally grateful for it.

way off topic, but amen to that, I grew up in the '60s/'70s in Auckland, the food was universally dull and nothing was ever open. Now the food is way better even if the nightlife is still pretty dire for a small-medium sized city (although probably that has more to do with the insane urban sprawl and the inexplicable love Aucklanders have for 'life' in the suburbs) . While it is true that those at the bottom of the food chain choose to fill themselves with McCrap and other generic junk food there are now choices out there for those who choose to eat good food.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 29):
One area where NZ does not do much of however is silver service type dining... I guess by the time NZ was settled properly the old ways and Victorian era were closing so there is a lack of this

In the 80's Auckland had quet a few silver service resturants, the was Pardingtons at the Sheraton, Antones in Parnel, No 5 up near the Sheraton, Top of the Town at the Hyatt, The Pan Pacific when opened had a fine dining resturant, as did the Regent, Sky City also had a silver service resturant for a while.

I've been to some Michellin starred resturants, but so far I've not had a better meal than I had at Huka Lodge, the five star lodges in NZ like Huka Lodge, Kauri Cliffs, Blanket Bay, Treetops all serve food that's as good as if not better than anything you'll get in a Michellin star resturant.

Which makes me wonder if Michellin reviwers ever come anywhere near NZ?

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 am

I've crashed a few German parties there and had an awesome time.

Ah thanks, remember bei otto through tinted glasses, went there after ten Tigers...

I also forgot to mention Heidelbergs in Pattaya off of north Beach road, soi 18.
That is where my pork knuckle fetish started.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 16):
One of the worst beers around here.

Beer selection here in Thailand is very limited.  
Bring back the Concorde

Kent350787

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:20 am

I'm a member of our local German Club - hackeln at Freuschoppen mit Dunkel Bier is heaven!  

And the club is only around 1km out from YSSY and 500m south of the 34R glide path...  Smile

[Edited 2011-08-19 00:21:50]

kiwiandrew

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:26 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
Beer selection here in Thailand is very limited.

(drinkable) Beer selection anywhere outside of Europe is very limited.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 34):

San Francisco Bay Area and Wisconsin has an incredible beer selection. Northern California as well as Seattle and Portland has some awesome microbrews.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:33 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 34):

Even within Europe there are plenty of beer black holes, all of Scandinavia (except Denmark), France, Spain, Portugal, the Balkans, Greece, The Baltics States. Good beer parts of Europe are anywhere they speak German, Belgium, the Netherlands, Czech Rep, Slovakia, UK, Ireland.

Even NZ has some pretty good beer, Monteiths, Macs.....

garpd

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:59 am

Any fans here of German pork knuckle

Oh yes. I lap em up everytime I get one. Which unfortunately is very rarely  
arpdesign.wordpress.com