kngkyle
Topic Author

Jon Huntsman - Refreshing Voice In The Republican Party?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Am I the only one that finds him a refreshing voice in the Republican party? From everything I've seen of him he seems to be a intelligent middle of the road kinda guy. He's not pandering to the far right like the other Republican candidates, in fact he's attacking them on it. I don't agree with all of his positions but I could see myself voting for him over Obama. I think (or at least hope) he's a real dark horse in this race.

Heres a recent clip of him on one of the Sunday talk shows
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qafTqCuxKg

cargolex

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting Kngkyle (Thread starter):
Am I the only one that finds him a refreshing voice in the Republican party?

No, you're not. But unfortunately, I don't think he has the ability to win the Republican nomination.

casinterest

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

I think he is an honest and decent man, but......

From everything I've seen of him he seems to be a intelligent middle of the road kinda guy.

This makes him unfavorable in a party that is leaning hard right at this point. His social issues stances aren't enough to get him embraces by the hard right and the hard left, and so when fighting for the GOP nomination, and with his ties to Obama as an ambassador, there are some problems with his candidacy.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Superfly

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Yep.

The guy seems beholden to special interest and is a chameleon.

I much prefer Gary Johnson.
Bring back the Concorde

Ken777

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:39 pm

He is the only GOP candidate I would have time for.

At least he sounds intelligent, which is a pleasant improvement over the rest of the pack.

While the hard right loves those red meat politicians they can certainly turn off independents and moderates. That is where I think Huntsman has a chance. The GOP can go with a moderate like him, or go with a Perry type - and let Obama get re-elected.

DfwRevolution

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 4):
Quoting casinterest (Reply 2):
I think he is an honest and decent man,

And there you have it. John Huntsman is the Republican for people who don't like Republicans.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

casinterest

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 5):
And there you have it. John Huntsman is the Republican for people who don't like Republicans.

Sure...... and your defintion of a Republican would be nutcases that don't fit further out thain the 25% deviation from the Far Right and have no real chance at winning a Presidential election?

Ken777

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 5):

Or maybe he is the Republican that moderates and independents can vote for in a general election.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Yep, he is a good and decent man, very respectable candidate of broad knowledge and thoughtful ideas.

Naturally, he has no chance.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Confuscius

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 pm

He just committed political suicide within the Republican Party.

He also liberalized the liquor laws in Utah. There's no need to join a "club" to order drinks.
Ain't I a stinker?

fxramper

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 pm

At best, a cabinet position in the Perry White House.   

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 9):

Yes, having a backbone.

BN747

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 8):
Yep, he is a good and decent man, very respectable candidate of broad knowledge and thoughtful ideas.

Naturally, he has no chance.

Totally agree... but this

From everything I've seen of him he seems to be a intelligent middle of the road kinda guy.

That 'intelligent' thing is the problem. Anti-intellectualism is the underlying theme in hard right Republican circles, Palin, Santorum, Bachman & Tea Bagger corner. They don't like that 'smart stuff' one bit... they do the thinking you just listen and support is their mantra.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

NIKV69

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 1):
No, you're not. But unfortunately, I don't think he has the ability to win the Republican nomination.

Nope, not to mention I like Ron Paul and Gary Johnson a bit more. Hope Johnson runs for a senate seat in NM. Both are coming up.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

comorin

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 pm

What America seems to want today is an Alpha male.

NYC wen through a difficult time and voted in a red-meat mayor who did the needful and then we said thank you very much and goodbye. This is the kind of gunslinger you'd hire in the Old West.

America will not vote for anyone in 2012 who is perceived as soft or indecisive. Huntsman does not look or talk like an Alpha male - he's too delicate - plays the piano, etc. He may even be a closet Vegan!

The following Repubs fit into the red meat category:

Rick Perry
Chris Christie
Sarah Palin
Michele Bachmann
Marco Rubio
Herman Cain

Of the above, only Rick Perry and Chris Christie stand a chance; Rubio's age is an issue.

The following non-alpha types don't have a chance:

Huntsman - Too rich, Not angry enough, very appealing to Democrats, would make a great VP.
Romney - Too rich, too many gaffes - tying family dog to the roof of car type of guy.

Obama's Achilles' Heel this time is what got him elected - Oratorical skills. If he could only talk to the American people in a normal way he would be much more liked. America is tired of his speeches.

I think we are in for a lot of surprises since Americans feel they are on the brink. I could also see where Obama decides not to run for a second term, and do something more fun. He was a symbol of breaking a glass ceiling, and will be an inspiration for that incredible achievement. Perhaps that was all he was meant to do.

Just my opinion!

ltbewr

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:48 am

One problem with Huntsman is that he is of the LDS/Mormon faith so turns off the Christian right - social issues voter.

He is not one of the wingnuts that are so anti-government or anti-reason that he could attract moderate-independents in the general election as President that the Republicans will need to have any chance to win. Of course, he is totally against any tax changes, especially increasing them as to corporations and the top 2%, so could get the fiscal conservatives in the party who don't like the TP wingers.

BN747

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:24 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 14):

Just my opinion!

What America needs.. is to hell grow up. Every time it is 'talked into' the infamous and endless 'We have fallen into a 2nd rate power, we are weak and need to be stronger and number #1' crap speech..people bite. And bad things happen. America is truly beginning to reflect all those embarrassing bad actors and tragic characters featured on any reality tv show you can think of. My blood boils when I visit some friends and they have one of these super silly 'Real Housewives of 'insert city here' shows..with some crying over something silly or spazzing out over something even more vapid and mundane. My 1st thought is..is there anyone outside US borders who may be watching any of these ridiculous shows? ..and the answer scares me..they very well could be and getting the wrong idea of Americans...or are they?

When America sends the signals that you just expressed 'need of an Alpha man'..that symbolizes trouble. All it has ever yielded was someone who talks big BS, military build up which translates into more useless and senseless defense spending. Enough already!

America needs to catch up with the internet, by that I mean a wholesale change into advanced and modern thought and approaches to the problems that plague us. It is long past time to 'let go' of early 20th Century Teddy Roosevelt tough guy imagery. Leave that silliness to Hollywood films..because IRL... in real life..it does not exist.

And it's a false pacifier at best for an overgrown child.

We know we have a powerful military and it isn't going anywhere. It's time to take a time out and sit quietly in science class and enjoy it, by that I mean we need to stop being the land that seeks 'Easy Button' solutions to every thing and really get to work on brain power and smart solutions ...it is the course into the future from now own. If we don't do it, someone else is already on that path. We need to stop telling our kids they're great, awesome and excellent when they are merely mediocre if that. Or schools are still pathetic and growing...we need to grow up.

Obama's Achilles' Heel this time is what got him elected - Oratorical skills. If he could only talk to the American people in a normal way he would be much more liked. America is tired of his speeches.

Sounds like a Fox News bullet point... only here do I actually hear (or see) people saying this. I know it's a regular Fox News staple... but hey, I live in SoCal, so it may be the very reason I don't hear live people saying this. All Presidents give speeches, I'm sure Prez O gave far less than Clinton and more than Bush (which isn't his fault to a point).

I could also see where Obama decides not to run for a second term, and do something more fun. He was a symbol of breaking a glass ceiling, and will be an inspiration for that incredible achievement. Perhaps that was all he was meant to do.

Just my opinion!

He has expressed that he's not all that hard pressed about a 2nd term. Obama is just like MLK in that by the average mind..he's not appreciated until he's no longer around. During his time in the spotlight, like MLK, most people are not as forward thinking as they leader..so they are lost and to lazy to think their way into catching up. Our last president was okay with people being intellectual lazy, infact most before that were. The people need step up and take some responsibility in changing the attitude of the nation, a President or any politician can't do that kind of heavy lifting no matter who they are. But they can 'make you 'feel better' by telling what 'you want to hear'.. only children require that...not adults.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Boeing4ever

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 am

Jon Huntsman is level-headed, intelligent, experienced, and articulate.

Unfortunately, we have closed primaries in this country, so he has no chance to even win the nomination while nutjobs like Ron Paul and Michelle Bachmann have greater appeal to Tea Baggers.

If we forced the parties to have their primaries nationwide on the same day, and be open, then we'd have only moderate candidates.

Of course the wingnuts would have a $hit-fit over being (rightfully) shut out.

Besides, even if he won the White House, he still has to deal with the Tea Party and the Professional Left. As a policy, they hate moderates and any hint of "compromise".

B4e-Forever New Frontiers  

MCOGVADCA

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:37 am

I feel the same way; so many of the other candidates come off as deliberately obtuse/anti-intellectual. A smart, moderate with an impeccable understanding of Sino-American relations? He's absolutely someone I'd consider supporting.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 4):
While the hard right loves those red meat politicians they can certainly turn off independents and moderates. That is where I think Huntsman has a chance. The GOP can go with a moderate like him, or go with a Perry type - and let Obama get re-elected.

Bingo.
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

MCOGVADCA

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 17):
Unfortunately, we have closed primaries in this country, so he has no chance to even win the nomination while nutjobs like Ron Paul and Michelle Bachmann have greater appeal to Tea Baggers.

Primaries vary on a state-by-state basis. About 15-20 states have open primaries; the problem is that, even in open primaries, the majority of those who take the time to vote tend to skew to the extremes as they're the group most inclined to make the effort to vote (as well as retirees with lots of time on their hands).
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

Boeing4ever

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:11 am

Quoting MCOGVADCA (Reply 19):
Primaries vary on a state-by-state basis. About 15-20 states have open primaries; the problem is that, even in open primaries, the majority of those who take the time to vote tend to skew to the extremes as they're the group most inclined to make the effort to vote (as well as retirees with lots of time on their hands).

Which is why all primaries should be on the same day for both parties. The run up to primary day would certainly attract more attention than a bunch of disconnected, closed primaries at varying times of the year. Close primaries disenfranchise most voters who don't want to register for one of the two big political labor unions in the country.

Ken777

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:16 am

And . . .

The following Repubs fit into the red meat category:

Rick Perry
Chris Christie
Sarah Palin
Michele Bachmann
Marco Rubio
Herman Cain

You're putting Sarah and Michele in the Alpha Male group?

Sarah I can understand, but Michele?

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 15):
He is not one of the wingnuts that are so anti-government or anti-reason that he could attract moderate-independents in the general election as President that the Republicans will need to have any chance to win.

It has been a long time since the GOP was adamant to go with a "wing nut". But Goldwater looks pretty normal compared to the current batch of ultra right wingers.

comorin

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:30 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 16):

Sounds like a Fox News bullet point.

Look, I honestly feel that way and I am a big fan! I saw him in an impromptu town hall at the Univ of Maryland on CNN a while ago and I was really blown away.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 21):

Sarah Palin is definitely a female alpha - an amazon! Michele has a spine of steel and is able to give as good as she gets, so she gets in the club.

DfwRevolution

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:48 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 7):
Or maybe he is the Republican that moderates and independents can vote for in a general election.

Gallup poll today shows independents splitting in favor of the "radical right" candidates like Perry. And that's after a week of media strafing without precedent in the first seven days of a presidential bid.

It varies by state. Open primaries exist in a number of states.

I've got a different take. What they don't want is a snob. What they don't want it is a sniveling wimp. I don't necessarily want a President who walks in guns blazing, but I also don't want someone who thinks he's the smartest man in the room and turns petulant under pressure. Above all of the policy issues, those are the two issues I like least about Obama and I can see them in Huntsman. Sorry, not interested.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

NIKV69

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:57 am

Sounds like a Fox News bullet point..

No actually it's the truth. You can keep blaming FOX for all his shortcomings and lack up leadership but it's bunk. His poll #s are in the toilet and he has nobody to blame but himself. So let us dispense with the FOX bashing shall we?
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

MCOGVADCA

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:44 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 20):
Which is why all primaries should be on the same day for both parties. The run up to primary day would certainly attract more attention than a bunch of disconnected, closed primaries at varying times of the year. Close primaries disenfranchise most voters who don't want to register for one of the two big political labor unions in the country.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Superfly

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:51 am

Sarah Palin
Michele Bachmann
Quoting Ken777 (Reply 21):

Rubio's age is an issue.

Not really. Marco Rubio is only 2 years older than me and I know I'd make an excellent VP.  
He also liberalized the liquor laws in Utah. There's no need to join a "club" to order drinks.

Probably the only good thing he ever done in politics.

I could also see where Obama decides not to run for a second term, and do something more fun.

That would be the best thing Obama can do. Barack Obama should have been an actor. He would have been an outstanding actor and everyone would love him. He'd also be forced to spend his own money.

What America needs.. is to hell grow up.

I thought American "grew up" in November 2008.   
Bring back the Concorde

MCOGVADCA

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
No actually it's the truth. You can keep blaming FOX for all his shortcomings and lack up leadership but it's bunk. His poll #s are in the toilet and he has nobody to blame but himself. So let us dispense with the FOX bashing shall we?

You're right that it's not anywhere near entirely Fox News' fault for Obama's failings, but there are definitely other factors at play here other than Obama "himself." The American job market is in the process of a structural transformation (and has been for the better part of a decade) that requires long-term investment and planning which seems to be anathema to the myopic perspectives of both parties. America no longer enjoys undisputed global economic hegemony, and thus our policies have decreasing effect on the global economy as a whole. Bush's administration had a poor grasp on this unfortunate reality and Obama's isn't much better. As long as jobs aren't being created, Obama (and whoever else may be president)'s numbers will continue to suffer. Until we come to the realization that, as a result of an increasingly flat global playing field, that we no longer are privy to a position of entitlement as the preeminent economic power, the more quickly we can adapt and once again thrive.

geekydude

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:14 am

I like him. He appeared on Chinese TVs a couple of times while he was ambassador and presented himself as a genuine, unassuming, and knowledgeable guy. This ABC interview reaffirms that impression.
FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

windy95

RE: Jon Huntsman - Refreshing Voice In The Republican Party?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:18 pm

From everything I've seen of him he seems to be a intelligent middle of the road kinda guy. He's not pandering to the far right like the other Republican candidates, in fact he's attacking them on it.
Quoting CargoLex (Reply 1):
No, you're not. But unfortunately
Quoting casinterest (Reply 2):
think he is an honest and decent man, but......
Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 8):

All the above tells me that he is not a republican....Want to call him a independent fine but the Dems can keep him...He has no chance because he is not a Republican.

Superfly

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 29):

Why is it showing that I made that statement?
That's not my quote.
Bring back the Concorde

casinterest

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:16 pm

He has no chance because he is not a Republican.

And here is that crazy statement again. It is funny how the "Right wing" of the Republican party continues to ostricize those that attempt to think for themselves and try to work America towards a compromised plan going forward.
the Extreme Right wing believes that politicians should not be representatives, but rather puppets. Sign a pledge and be held responsible. Mark a checklist of beliefs. It's really rather sad that the Republican party has lost sight of any semblance or reason and compromise. It will bear out in the next year or so that the Tea Party and it's ultra right pull will cost the republican party more than just a presidential election.

windy95

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 30):

Why is it showing that I made that statement?
That's not my quote

That has happened a few times to me the last week....

windy95

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 31):
And here is that crazy statement again. It is funny how the "Right wing" of the Republican party continues to ostricize those that attempt to think for themselves and try to work America towards a compromised plan going forward.
the Extreme Right wing believes that politicians should not be representatives, but rather puppets

Here is a tip for you. Let us worry about what our party looks like...And you can call people far left wing or extremist all you but it does not make it true. Funny how people who want the constitution to be followed and the budget to be balanced are the ones who are continually called the extremist...  

Compromise is for losers....Compromise is what put us in this mess in the first place...Balance our budget and follow the rules on the books. If the feds can ignore the rules on the books for illegal immigration why then should I be held accountable for not following tax codes....Once the rule of law is broken then you get what we have now and that is a government out of control and no longer run by the people...Follw the Constitution and balance the budget...no compromise..

casinterest

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 33):
Follw the Constitution and balance the budget...no compromise..

It's amazing how shallow that pool of rhetoric is for the depth of responsibilities, negotiation and compromise are required to accomplish "Following the constitution and "Balancing the Budget" It's like a bunch of Religions Nuts that believe in the Unfallable bible that has resulted in countless different factions of christianity.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm

All the above tells me that he is not a republican....Want to call him a independent fine but the Dems can keep him...He has no chance because he is not a Republican.

There's the problem, in a nutshell.

Irony not unintentional.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 34):
It's amazing how shallow that pool of rhetoric is

Tugger

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
I thought American "grew up" in November 2008.

Have you seen what is going on for the past three years? In fact it's become more childish than ever. The name calling and bluster is pretty bad.

And this is what is wrong with the Republican party "If the Dems like it, then we have to not like it." I think that is ludicrous. I actually seek more centrist Republican candidates as I think that is critical to good leadership. Firebrand extremism is not good. The more people that can support a candidate, from across party and ideological lines, while they have good core values of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, and staying out of moralizing/social issues, the better they are. The key thing for me is, can they handle and pull the levers of political power? Can they control the backroom deals or are they controlled by them. Political power, that is important in a president.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 33):
Let us worry about what our party looks like...

I am worrying about what my party looks like. And it isn't looking that good right now. People that move the Republican's to the extreme on social/moral issues are not good, people that make silly statements about what they can do during their presidency is not good, people that sign pledges that limit their ability to govern is not good.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Superfly

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:38 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 36):
Have you seen what is going on for the past three years? In fact it's become more childish than ever. The name calling and bluster is pretty bad.

I've seen the President still blaming his predecessor 2 & a half years in to his job and getting upset when people call him a socialist. I've seen the administration call other Americans "terrorist" and "stupid" yet fails to acknowledge the real threat of terrorism.
Perhaps America can correct herself and "grow up" come November 2012.
Bring back the Concorde

Tugger

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
I've seen the President still blaming his predecessor 2 & a half years in to his job and getting upset when people call him a socialist. I've seen the administration call other Americans "terrorist" and "stupid" yet fails to acknowledge the real threat of terrorism.

And I've seen the opposite just as much. The Right, my Republican party, blaming President Obama for numerous things that are not his fault. If Jon Huntsman does become a frontrunner then maybe the Republican's have begun to turn around, but so far its not looking good. I really don't give a crap about what the President "blames", I care about whether my party is adult and real about the issues before us and willing and able to solve them.

Everyone needs to grow up and not hope people "fail".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Superfly

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 38):
blaming President Obama for numerous things that are not his fault. If Jon Huntsman does become a frontrunner then maybe the Republican's have begun to turn around, but so far its not looking good. I really don't give a crap about what the President "blames", I care about whether my party is adult and real about the issues before us and willing and able to solve them.
Both sides are to blame. Neither side is innocent.
Bring back the Concorde

n318ea

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 am

I am a staunch supporter of the Tea Party because I am against the so called "Moderate Republicans" that with the help of Democrats spent us to the brink of ruin. This Country has to make a decision whether they want to continue towards Euro Socialism, or return to a non-entitlement Republic. We have Europe to look at and see where the former will lead us. Europe recognized what was happening to them, but it may be too late. We can look to Kalifornia here to see where the Liberal/Progressive model will take us.
Want to talk about a back bone? Rep. Paul Ryan had a back bone and took a courageous stand and look what happened to him. President Obama comes out with a "clean sheet" budget increasing the deficit with NO spending and got ZERO votes in the Senate from his own party. President Bush 43 tried to confront the entitlement monster in his second term and his even his own "Moderate Republicans" turned on him.

Obama's Achilles heel is both he and his policies are a disaster.

I watched BSNBC for 2 nights last week and found out I am a:
Right wing radical nut job, extremist,Tea Bagger,racist, homophobic red neck bigot.
Well, if thinking John Huntsman is not a suitable candidate and President Obama is incompetent, then I shall wear those hats proudly.
Red Red Red Red Red Neck!

Tugger

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Both sides are to blame. Neither side is innocent.

Tugg

jcs17

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:57 am

Jon Huntsman is level-headed, intelligent, experienced, and articulate.

You said the same thing of Barack Obama in the 2010.

Why the change?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Tugger

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 42):

Why the change?

While your question is not aimed at me, I must ask: Can not more than one person who is up for election be "level-headed, intelligent, experienced, and articulate."? I mean that has not been the norm lately but it is possible.

Tugg

Boeing4ever

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:50 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 42):

What is the point you're getting at? Obama lacked experience. His way of handling the economy seemed like bumbling around in his early days. He still was a lesser evil than "Maverick" McCain. And if Huntsman is fortunate enough to win over the horde or Tea Party imbeciles, we'll have, for the first time in a while, an election between two candidates that can argue on policies, facts, and results. In the end I predict Huntsman would win.

Huntsman is the first candidate worth a damn who realizes the concept of not cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's hard to believe people will support the Tea Party when they have displayed willingness to take us to the brink of ruination.

I am disappointed in Obama, but I will not support a Tea Party candidate.

casinterest

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 44):
I am disappointed in Obama, but I will not support a Tea Party candidate.

This is where the biggest issue for me is.
Right now you have Bachmann "Don't raise the debt Limit" "I'll bring back 2$ gas", and Perry "Charge the fed with Treason" running around using loud words with no understanding of what they are talking about. The Tea Party has energy, but it is misdirected.

planespotting

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 pm

I would seriously consider voting for Huntsman over Barack Obama. He's an even better version of George H.W. Bush (if you ignore his learned ability to pander), who in my opinion was probably one of the best presidents of the 20th century (behind Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower).
Do you like movies about gladiators?

sw733

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 45):
The Tea Party has energy, but it is misdirected.

The Tea Party gives me hope in one regard - a viable third party. I don't like their rhetoric at all and I don't see myself ever voting along their lines, but the US needs more than two parties. Most (all?) other developed countries have parliaments made up of far more than 2 parties:

Germany has at least 6
France has at least 9, in addition to non-aligned members
UK has something over 10, I think
Japan has at least 9

The US needs more than 2, in my mind. It'll give the people more choices and I think the people will be better represented. Perhaps the Tea Party might actually start this trend. I don't hold my breath, but I hope.

Superfly

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 47):
The Tea Party gives me hope in one regard - a viable third party. I don't like their rhetoric at all and I don't see myself ever voting along their lines, but the US needs more than two parties. Most (all?) other developed countries have parliaments made up of far more than 2 parties:

Agreed but we would also need to get rid of the winner-take-all system as well in order for it to work.

Germany has at least 6
France has at least 9, in addition to non-aligned members
UK has something over 10, I think
Japan has at least 9

Since I'm a party animal I'm all in favor of more parties.  
Bring back the Concorde

NoUFO

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Germany has at least 6

Make that five, please. And I think that's plenty.
I support the right to arm bears