pwdalmech
Topic Author

9/11/11 10 Years Ago I Was

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 pm

10 years ago I was working outside the aviation business and could not believe what happend and what was about to take place....I went to work the next day in Buckhead 12 miles north of Hartsfield......the sky was eirly quiet like never before………………..I’ll finish later
Pure Power

BOStonsox

RE: 9/11/11 10 Years Ago I Was

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:49 pm

This will almost certainly be put in non-aviation. But I had just started freshman year and was in history class when it happened, then found out two periods later when my english teacher had it on the news.
2013 World Series Champions!

DeltaMD90

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 am

I was in 6th grade. No one said what was going on, rumors were that Mexico invaded the US (I'm not even kidding.) When I was going home, the mother of the person I car polled with explained that my dad was ok (he is a pilot, and I was confused why she was saying that) then she said what happened. I thought a plane hit the WTC and it fell onto the Pentagon (I was only 11). Got home and saw what really happened, but I was not too affected since I was young.

9/11 really hit me a few years ago, watching the newscasts on youtube over again, then I really could appreciate the destruction and terror. I will never forget 9/11/2001, and I am lucky it did not really harm my childhood. RIP

Jonathanxxxx

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:24 am

I was in 1st grade when it happened. Even then the school was devastated. The first reports came from upper-classmen (4th and 5th grade) that Chinese people flew helicopters into two towers in New York... News travels so well in Elementary.. That day since the school was pretty close to MIA I would usually see planes on approach. To my surprise there was nothing there. Now looking back it's crazy how lightly we took it at first. Now realizing it I feel horrible for having such little respect. (I was only 6 but still) RIP

bps3458

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:32 am

I worked in Freeport, Long Island and my wife was working in Midtown near the Empire State Building. It was a wonderful day and I can still see the faces of my former colleagues as the events unfolded. Took my wife until late that evening to get back home on the LIRR to Port Washington and it took me about 3 hours to get home by car from Freeport to Port Washington. From our home we could see the smoke rising for many days/weeks afterwards.

BAViscount

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 am

A particularly sad time of year for a number of reasons. At the time I was working for a global accountancy firm and our team was testing some new software when a friend and fellow team member received a phonecall from her room mate in another department to say that a plane had flown into the WTC. Initially we assumed that the plane was a light aircraft, but it was only when we all started to receive phonecalls from home and we started looking on the internet that we found out what had really happened.

Sadly we lost the friend who had initially given us the tragic news at the beginning of last year, she lost her battle against breast cancer and was only in her early 30s. Along with another friend, she and I went to St. Paul's Cathedral in London, which was just down the road from our office, to listen to the memorial service that took place several days later.

No doubt we will be thinking about her along with those who lost their lives in the US on September 11th.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:36 am

I was sitting in my office at Brize Norton, when one of the RAF guys came in a said you have to get to the break room, a plane just hit one of the twin towers. I got there just in time to see the second tower hit.

MD-90

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:57 am

I was a senior in high school and we were outside have marching band rehearsal. Rehearsal was ended a bit early and we saw some of the news on a TV in the band hall before second block.

Meanwhile, a.netters with an overly-inflated sense of self-importance were freaking out about a post I'd made almost a year before. 

varigb707

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:01 am

I was at work (Hertz Corp) at KDFW, when a customer mentioned something about an airline accident in NY. Wet turned the TV on CNN and, well, the rest is history...
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Jetsgo

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 am

I was in the shower getting ready for just another day in 8th grade when my mom burst in and said a plane had hit the World Trade Center. At the time I wasn't too interested because I figured it was just a small general aviation aircraft of some sort. When I got downstairs and saw the damage on the tv, I knew right away the shit had hit the fan. I ended up watching the second plane hit and both towers collapse live. Furthermore, Good Morning America just so happened to be interviewing someone live inside the Pentagon when the plane hit there.

At the time I was going to Catholic school and we had a special Mass that morning and of course said many prayers for the victims and their families. We had the tv in our classroom on in the background all day, but by the time school had started, most everything had already occurred.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

jetblue777

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 am

I was six years old, I was still in the Philippines (though we already had family here in the US) It was a beautiful morning and my grandma turned on the news and I didn't know what they were so worried about. I remember that day very clearly, we had chocolate rice porridge for breakfast. I was in 1st grade at that time. Now I'm 16 and a Sophomore.. I would never have imagined that we would live in New York City.

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 3):
I was in 1st grade when it happened.

Same Here!
It's a cultural thing.

KPDX

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:10 am

I was sitting in my living room in the early morning before school as a 9 year old in the 4th grade, watching the terrible events unfold with my father. I actually watched the second plane hit live. I went to school and the whole time, all of the teachers were watching the events on TV.

Pyrex

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:17 am

I was a few weeks from starting my 2nd year of college. I had just finished lunch (was in Lisbon at the time) and was sitting in the living room (or was it the kitchen?) just watching some TV while my parents finished giving a second coat of paint to their bedroom, which they were painting. Our idea was to go to a swimming pool while the paint dried, after they finished.

Don't remember exactly how I found out what had happened, but at some point I was watching a live TV report saying that a plane had hit the first tower. No-one was really sure at that time whether it was terrorism or something else. I remember watching an image of a smoking WTC tower on TV when I watched the second plane hit, live. I couldn't quite believe the fact that a second plane had hit, so when I saw that I thought the TV was just showing footage of the first hit - I thought it strange that the plane had hit in a different place from where the smoke was coming out, and that the tower was already smoking before the plane hit. It took me a while to process that it was a second plane.

We never went to the swimming pool that day (it was in the official residence of the Minister of Defense, so we didn't think it would be a good idea).
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Cadet985

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 am

I was in 11th grade. It was a few minutes before my 3rd period American Government class was to begin. I got to class early because of my elevator pass. This teacher had a policy of ending class a few minutes early, and making sure his students watched CNN. He poked his head out and told me I might be interested in some recent developments. I figured something had happened in Israel, or something like that. Within a few minutes, the principal ordered all TV's in the school (every classroom had one) turned on, and to a news channel...it didn't matter which one. Within about an hour, Philadelphia public schools were closed for the day.

That night, my parents went to my synagogue for an interfaith prayer service. They wanted me to go, but the events of that day took whatever faith I had, and obliterated it and I refused to go.

When the first anniversary rolled around, in tears I actually asked my parents if the memories would ever fade. I mean of all the things I could remember so vividly I didn't want it to be something so bad. My dad told me that 9/11 would be for my generation what JFK's assassination was for his. To this day, he can remember everything about that day. It's been almost ten years, and I can even show you what t-shirt I was wearing. it was one of three or four I had purchased at an airshow the previous weekend.

Marc

UltimateDelta

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 am

I was also in first grade. The teachers all got called to the office for a few minutes, but we didn't learn until later what had happened, though we did finally find some information when a bunch of parents came to get their kids early. Later I asked my mom why she hadn't come, and she told me that there was nothing to worry about near us (in Nebraska) and that I was (obviously) fine staying at school. Also, it was pretty eerie later that evening because we usually have hundreds of contrails from all the planes flying over, but that night there were none.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

finalcut747

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 am

I was in 2nd grade and I had just woken up and walked to my parents bedroom like I did every morning back then. Instead of watching TV with them as was custom, I saw my dad standing with a toothbrush in his mouth, staring at the TV with his jaw dropped. I then took a look at what was on TV, I saw one of the towers burning. I remember talking with other kids when I got to school about it, and wondering what would happen to the towers. Later that day when I got home, and found out all that happened, and was shocked about it.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:36 am

It is really weird to hear all you pups post about how young you were at the time. I was 29 and was on a business trip to Delta Air Lines' head office in Atlanta. It was very scary to be so far from home for something like that - but then again, I have no memories on 9/11 associated with my home. My clients were very kind and I ended up moving hotels to stay with another coworker from Seattle so we would not be alone.
But that was when I ruled the world

signol

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:43 am

I was 23, just had my birthday a few days before. I had graduated university that summer, and was working as a barman most nights to help fund a RTW backpacking trip some friends and I were going on, departing 28th September. I remember being woken by my mum saying "Watch the TV, I bet you won't go, I bet you won't go" (referring to the trip). She had only ever done that once before, when Princess Diana died. We watched TV all morning, the news from the 2nd impact and the falling of the towers. Thoughts and prayers to not just the Americans, but all the hundreds of other nationalities working in the towers, that often get forgotten.

Needless to say, the trip went ahead as planned, with extra security checks.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Springbok747

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:43 am

Asleep. I had no idea what had happened till I saw my dad watching the news the next day..Sep 12. It was around 10:45pm here when the first tower was hit.
אני תומך בישראל

flymia

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:25 am

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 3):
I was in 1st grade when it happened.
Quoting jetBlue777 (Reply 10):
I was six years old,
Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 14):
I was also in first grade.
Quoting FinalCut747 (Reply 15):
I was in 2nd grade
Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 16):
It is really weird to hear all you pups post about how young you were at the time

I was only 12 when it happened but wow! You are right very odd. Makes even me feel a bit old. Good memory you guys have!

As for me I remember that day pretty well. I remember someone told me their was a plane crash but our teacher (drama class 7th grade) did not say anything. We then I had a 15min break and the rumors were a bit crazy. 747 in white house, car bombs in Pittsburgh. I remember someone telling me it was an AA 737. By then I was a big aviation fan, so I went to the school library and started looking up how many pax a 738 held etc.. Then in our math class my teacher had the tv on, told us what had happened. Towers were already gone at that point. When I went home I was stuck on the TV. I even still have the VHS tape I was recording from the news that day. I also kept and still have the Miami Herald Newspaper from September 12th. It was a day that I think changed my life a lot. Thankfully I did not know anyone who was killed in that tragic day. But I think 9/11 changed a lot for me, from my future career choices, to where I ended up going to college. One thing I remember when watching tv was this: When Congress sang God Bless America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izb459vJ-8Q

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 5):
I went to St. Paul's Cathedral in London, which was just down the road from our office, to listen to the memorial service that took place several days later.

The way much of the world responded to that day was very emotional, as some people said the days after 9/11 everyone was an "American" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqEBHKHaPy8&feature=related
I was always impressed and honored by the way the world reacted to these events and especially to those in the UK and Canada.

And another thing I will never forget was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OCgMPX2mE I do not care what anyone says about George W. Bush and some of his politics he was a great leader after 9/11 and he was right about one thing and that was getting these guys. And now 10 years later we have finally caught the mastermind of it all. Another day I will never forget as I skipped studying for a Spatial Analysis Final to go to the White House and be glad Justice was finally served.

Another note about 9/11: My family and I would go to NYC every thanksgiving. The year before November 2000 we wanted to take a tour of the NYSE but they were closed so we ended up going to the Twin Towers. By complete accident the last time I had the chance to go there we went. I was in NYC just about two months after 9/11 in November of 2001 and visited ground zero, I was also in DC a few months later.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

af773atmsp

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:33 am

I was in first grade and I believe I saw the second plane hit live. Thats pretty much all I remember.

I just want to say, I don't know why so many people hate America and Americans. Whatever mistakes we made in the past does not mean we deserved this kind of tragedy. No country deserves this kind of tragedy.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

ACDC8

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:56 am

I was at work, it was just after 3pm local time when it happened. We had the radio on, listening. At first it sounded like a small plane hit, then when they said it was an airliner I just figured it was a foggy day. Once more details came in, we called it a day went home and watched the news.

Weirdest feeling about it was that for the following days, all flights from Europe to the US and Canada were cancelled so in away, I was stuck there not being able to go home if I needed to.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ipodguy7

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:58 am

I was 9 years old in 4th grade sitting in math class. Our principal came to the door and talked to my teacher privately for about 30 seconds and then my teacher ran over to the radio and turned it on. We all had thought that Russia or China had attacked us. At the end of the day, the family we carpooled with picked me up. I asked the mom what happened and she fully explained it.
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AS/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ/JL

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:00 am

I was 21 years old and had just returned home to Maine the previous evening from Germany, after spending the summer in Berlin. Coincidentally, I flew home through JFK and remember seeing the towers off in the distance as I walked across the ramp to board an American Eagle flight. I would have never imagined that in less than 24 hours both towers were just a smoldering pile of rubble.

I was just waking up that morning. I always sleep with the T.V. on. So, as I was laying there in bed one of those breaking news alerts came on during one of the morning shows. One tower had just been hit and nobody really knew what was going on? At first, reports were suggesting that it was some kind of small general aviation aircraft? Then they started reporting it as being commercial 737 aircraft that had crashed. Just as I was starting to wake up and become alert, I was sitting there watching the live coverage with the newscasters kind of confused and shocked at what was happening. There were a lot of conflicting reports coming in as to what was going on? Just then, the second aircraft streaked across the television screen and collided with the building on live TV! I couldn't believe what I just saw! Within minutes all the newscasters were suddenly reporting that it was now likely with no question, a terrorist attack and not an accident! I spent the next 12+ watching the news coverage. Endless replays of the collision and implosion. Witnesses on the street being interviewed. People just wandering around in a state of shock covered in dust and ash, etc.

Three days later, a couple friends and myself decided to make a 24 hour trip to NYC to see things first hand. We drove down there over night, checked out the scene and came back the next evening. I remember that as we approached the city, you could see white smoke billowing from ground zero. Like from 10-15 miles out! We parked somewhere in Mid-Town near a Salvation Army headquarters that the Red Cross had set up at to feed/shower and support the emergency response workers or anybody else in need of assistance

It was 4 a.m. when we arrived in NYC, and it was eerily quiet. The most chilling memory I have is walking down sidewalks or being at the Salvation Army outpost and seeing the walls completely covered with "Missing Person" print- outs that thousands of different families and friends has taped up. They all had a photo and a description of the last known location of the missing subjects. Most of the descriptions noted the missing person worked in one of the two towers or in the vicinity, and they hadn't been seen or heard since. Also, I remembered the air smelled of a combination of buring plastic/garbage/electrical smell. When you got down into lower Manhattan, the ground, cars, and everything was covered in about 1-2 inches of fine gray ash and dust. There were half burnt office papers by the thousands just littering the street and blowing around in the wind. The National Guard and police were armed with automatic weapons and had the streets blocked off leading to where the towers had stood. You would only get a glimpse from about 4-5 blocks down the street, but if you stood and looked for more than a few seconds the military or police would come along and tell you to keep moving. Being foolish college age kids we would tell them we were with the press or freelance photographers, and sometimes they'd let us snap a few photos.

It was a powerful and moving experience. Kind of chilling in a way.

Not long after 9/11. -Like, maybe even that night?- things got even closer to home when information started to come out that two of the hijackers had spent their last night in my town, at the Comfort Inn next to the PWM airport. The FBI found the hijackers rental car abandoned at the PWM parking garage with a copy of the Koran and some 767 flight manuals the evening of the attacks, or sometime the next morning.... I forget which day? Later, surveillance video was released to the media of Mohammed Atta and the other hijacker visiting the local Wal-Mart and Pizza Hut the evening before the attack. The next morning, the two caught a US Airways Express Beech 1900 to BOS where they ultimately connected to the doomed flights. The US Check in agent that checked them in that morning years later gave a news interview and stated that when Atta came to the desk to check in, it was like he was staring right threw you. No emotion, evil eyes. He said the hair physically stood up on his neck. When Atta was identified and a photo was released in the days after the attack, the U.S. Airways agent from PWM had an anxiety attack, and ultimately resigned from his job from the stress of feelings of guilt that he didn't do something to prevent the attacks. In hindsight, he said he should have trusted his gut feeling that something just wasn't right about the two men standing before him. There's actually a You Tube video of the interview that pretty interesting.

Airline Ticket Agent Recalls Atta on 9/11
Monday, March 07, 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149635,00.html

[Edited 2011-08-28 22:17:01]

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:09 am

At work, taking a train to Manchester Airport.

I received a text message from the railway control centre telling me ALL flights to the North American continent had been cancelled due to an "incident" in New York. I was surprised at first, thinking it was a prank - until I finally found a TV at my destination station and saw the horrors myself

A truly sad day and one I will NEVER forget.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

stratosphere

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:56 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 16):
It is really weird to hear all you pups post about how young you were at the time. I was 29 and was on a business trip to Delta Air Lines' head office in Atlanta.

LOL I noticed that too. I was 37 at the time and was working for NWA but was my day off got a call from a friend telling me a plane hit the WTC I like others thought it was a small general aviation a/c and was a true accident. However, when I heard one hit the second tower I immediately knew it was a terrorist attack.

gkirk

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:28 am

Day off from college, was heading to a pub when I noticed it on TV screens
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Maverick623

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 am

I was in 10th grade, and had just gotten out of the shower and was getting ready to go to school. I had my radio on (no TV in my room), and the DJ came out with a report that an aircraft had hit one of the Twin Towers. Still thinking it was probably a small airplane, I didn't bother turning on the TV before I left. While my dad was driving me, the DJ came back on and said that a second plane had hit the second tower... and we shared a look that I will never, ever forget.

Needless to say, we didn't get much done in school that day, other than watching CNN. The first Tower came down as I was walking to my first class, and the second about 10 minutes into it. Everyone though that it was another replay of the first tower falling, until the dust cleared and there was just.... air. The teacher in my second period class turned the TV off and tried to have a normal class... until one of my classmates got up and turned the TV back on.

The rest of the day was mostly a blur. I remember for two weeks afterwards we weren't allowed to wear our ROTC uniforms (our instructors weren't allowed to wear theirs, either).

I don't know how, but we didn't lose any family in the attacks (we're originally from NY, my mom and her family are from Brooklyn and many still live near the city, a few of which are/were FDNY).
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

AustrianZRH

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:06 am

I was 18 and in the second week of my army service. That Tuesday was the first day we had a battle drill in the barrack training grounds, blanks in the rifles for the noise and camouflage on our faces and the whole deal. Suddenly my grinning drill sergeant came up to us (still can't understand why the moron was grinning) and told us "the world trade center is down and the Pentagon's burning, the US are under attack". Honestly, literally nobody believed him and we were joking around amongst ourselves that he probably pulls this silly far-fetched joke on every bunch of newbies twice a year. It wasn't before we were back in the barracks we understood he wasn't joking at all and saw the horror going on ourselves on TV...
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

aerdingus

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:05 am

I was 17, & me & my friend were having some stupid bitchy fight. We were sitting in the Births, Deaths & Marriages office in Dublin to get forms we needed for college. I heard it on the radio, & just said nonchalantly, "Jeez, a plane's after hitting the WTC in New York" thinking it was somethin small. I turned to look @ my friend, & she had such a look of horror on her face. I had forgotten that her brother worked in one of the towers. He lost lots of friends. Only he was too jetlagged from flying back from Ireland the day before, and opted to go to work late, he missed the whole thing. But my friend was in limbo for at least 30-40mins, not knowing if her bro was ok or not. We were just watchin it on tv's in pubs, shops everywhere in Dublin. Finally she got a phone call, that all was well. I remember thinkin how stupid our fight was afterwards, & how short life is.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Revelation

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:07 am

I was driving to work on a beautiful morning about 40 miles from BOS when my soon to be ex-wife told me that an airplane crashed into the WTC.

Like almost everyone else, I presumed it was a small aircraft.

When I got into work, we were all trying to find out more about what was going on. We worked at an Internet firm but all the web sites were overloaded and we didn't have a single TV capable of receiving signals over the air! One of my co-workers was from Cyprus, and he was able to connect to a Cypriot web site that was showing a feed from CNN, but the audio was all in Greek! Talking about surreal...

By 11AM our local executive told us all to go home and be with our families. I bless that man to this day for that act of kindness.

I drove out to my place of worship and we had an impromptu prayer service.

Then I decided I needed to take a drive to clear my head. I decided to drive up US RT 1 to the coast of New Hampshire to go to a beach and be with the waves and forget about everything.

Well, that turned out to not be the brightest idea I ever had, since I ended up driving right past the largest nuclear plant in the area, a few dozen miles north of BOS!

It was still early in the day, and at that point no one had any idea if more terrorists had hijacked planes, and most felt the next target they'd pick would be a nuke plant.

But my thinking was really cloudy that day of course due to the unbelievable events I had seen.

I still remember the way the light was hitting the dome of that power plant. I guess I was in something of a daze or a trance. I just kept driving past it, without a fear in the world, and up to the beach, where I just let the waves wash away the images that I had seen only a few hours earlier.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

CXB77L

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:25 am

I was 20 at the time, and was on an F1 discussion board when I saw the thread with the title "Plane hits World Trade Center". I thought at first it was a joke.

Several hours later, as I turned on the TV to watch Star Trek, the enormity of the situation became suddenly apparent. Instead of what I had expected to watch, I saw the replay of both towers falling, and people covered in dust and soot everywhere.
Boeing 777 fanboy

Mortyman

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:34 am

I walked passed a shop that lease / sell electronics, including TV's and there was a huge crowd infront of one of the windows, wich was highly unusual... Anyway, they were all watching the aircrafts slamming into the WTC towers and were shocked ... so was I. I ran over to another shop where my mother worked at the time and told her the news. She could'nt beleve it ! We had been to New York and ofcourse the WTC and naturally could'nt beleve that those towers could come tumbling down like that. I then wlaked to the local Burger King where I worked at the time and told my workmates there. They were in total disbeleaf.

There was wall to wall news coverage for several weeks afterwards. The US embassy in Oslo was flooded with flowers and drawings drawn by children who obviously experienced something very different on television than their usual childrens TV and felt a need to express themselves. The Norwegian flag and the American were both lowered to half mast.

I beleve all the childrens drawings are kept to this day in the national archive of Norway or at the embassy itself.

windy95

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Was at work in the hangar at ORD when someone told us what had initially happened. Watched the second one hit the tower and new that life had just changed. Working for American and being in the military I knew it was going to be bad. Spent the next 24 hours parking and taxiing jets all over ORD. We stuffed them everywhere. It may of been a selfish thought but after thinking of the people who lost their lives and praying for the survivors I Knew it was a game changer for me and my family..I have seen much in my thirty years of aviation and the military but nothing could prepare you for what happened on 9/11. Hopefully it is the last time anyone on this planet has to see or live through something like this.

GDB

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Doing this, an early post of mine, sorry for the type in the title and lack of paragraphs);

Concorde Operational Evaluation Flifgt (by GDB Sep 15 2001 in Trip Reports)

(Not so apparent when I wrote this, that the events of that day was to be a major factor in ending what we were doing. After the flight, I returned to the crew-room in the hangar and watched the events unfold on the TV there. Shocking of course, really I was rooted to the spot long after I should have gone home. I did not dwell on that too much in the post at the time).

falstaff

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 pm

I was changing the oil on the school's box truck when the principal, who was a known joke teller, came out to the shop and told me what was happening. I didn't believe him, but he said he was serious. I climbed in the cab of the truck and turned on the radio and listened to the events unfold for the rest of my prep period. I later rigged up a classroom TV with an antenna that I made from wire and a screwdriver and my students and I watched TV the rest of the day. The classroom was mostly silent and everyone just watched.

I live under the approach for 21L3R at DTW and my house is filled with the noise of airplanes a lot. That evening it was eerily silent and remained that way for a few days.

I had flown home from SYR on 9-10-01 and was happy that I had decided to end my trip that day. I wouldn't have wanted to be stuck someplace, like so many people who traveled the next morning.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

kaitak

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I remember it quite well, still. I was still working for the same company I work for now; we were in a different building. I had just got back from lunch a few minutes before and my colleague, Alex, just came back after going to another department; we had a television in the lobby and she just said a small plane had flown into the WTC. I was in the middle of something at the time and for some reason it didn't "click"; maybe I just thought to myself, "bad luck" and thought about the B-17 back in 1945.

Then, I went out to the lobby and people were crowded around the television screen. It was clearly more than just a small plane. Then, news of the second plane was coming through and of course, once that hit (and news of an incident in Washington), we all knew it was a co-ordinated attack. I recall standing around the television and watching as the first tower collapsed and knowing that not everyone could have got out.

The odd thing was, about two weeks (not more) before the crash, we had a seminar about health and safety and fire prevention, given by an ex-RAF officer; I distinctly remember him saying that if a Trislander hits your building, you have another antenna, but if a 146 hits your building (he was relating it to aircraft operating at the time), then you have a serious problem (or words to that effect).

Northwest727

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:31 pm

I was in math class, 8th grade; a teacher came running in and told us about it...we all, teacher included, just stared into the TV. Almost all of my classes we watched in disbelief. Then there were those idiot teachers who just had to "teach us" their lesson plans for the day and would not let us watch the TV, nor talk about the incident. Yeah, like learning how to conjugate verbs in Spanish is soo important that it can't just wait another day.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 7):
Meanwhile, a.netters with an overly-inflated sense of self-importance were freaking out about a post I'd made almost a year before.

Oh yes, I remember that thread. I hadn't taken the plunge to join airliners.net yet.

KPHXFlyer

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

I was working in north Fort Worth TX, our office was immediately adjacent to the FAA FSDO office (which I had mistaken as a control facility). I had just gotten into the office and somebody said a plane hit the WTC. We had no TVs in our office and so I stayed on cnn.com and yahoo.com all day. Not much work was done that day as more information and pictures became available. I remember seeing pictures of the jumpers out of the tower. And the clouds of dust from the collapse. and the reaction shots of people watching the planes or the collapses.

Our company had an office in the North tower of the WTC at that time (only 6 employees) and from what I remember, it was in the lower floors of the building. We received an email saying that our employees were accounted for and safe. I was fortunate to not know anybody personally that perished or was injured.

After work, I went home and turned on the TV; tuned it to a news station and watched a compendium of all the video taken that day. I still remember the image (taken by a passenger on a ferry) of the United 767 banking into the south tower and the almost rocket-like sound as it thundered into the building.

I remember also getting an instant message from my parents that said something like "stay out of tall buildings". Up until a few months before I was working out of a tall building in Fort Worth.

I remember the skies being so quiet for those three days when the FAA still had the commerical traffic grounded.

I remember all the American flags that made their appearance on all the cars and trucks in all shapes and sides. While Texans are proud to be Texans, the American flag was in greater abundance than the similarly colored Lone Star state flag.

I remember going to the very first baseball game after 9/11 between the Texas Rangers and Oakland A's. They gave everybody that showed up a "We Will Not Forget" T-shirt with a MLB logo on it. Instead of the 7th inning stretch, they had three minutes of silence. It was completely eerie and it rocked me back on my heels to be in a MLB ballpark completely full and for it to be completely quiet. Just surreal.

I remember my own way of "not letting the terrorists win" was that I went scuba diving that weekend. After that day, I returned home to find a neighboring apartment building completely ablaze. I remember thinking as I drove up to the complex that I thought a bomb or something had happened.

That was just a surreal time to live through. As the various anniversaries have occurred, I tried to remember the intensity of that time and to never forget.

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Where was I that day?

I was at work in a nice area in Paris. It was already the afternoon our time when one of the boys in the office - he had one of the small radio receivers of the time - started telling us that airplanes were falling on skyscrapers in New York City.

From the many trips I had made to New York City by air and sea from crowded economy cabins to sheer luxury on Concorde, France and the QE2 and from my various stays in different areas of the city I had a difficult time believing what the office fellow was saying but the news kept coming in that airplanes had really hit skyscrapers in New York City causing much damage and deaths.

I excused myself to the big boss and told him I wanted to go home. He did not see any inconvenience so I left the office much earlier than usual and took a brisk walk along the river.

When I got home some 25 minutes later I immediately switched on the computer and went online. I had no TV. My AOL wasn't a fast connection but it was good enough and my internet did not get interrupted - not at any time - I looked at the news mostly through local NY channels and newspapers and found out what had really happened - the Towers destruction by the two airliners, one United and one American Airlines.

I could not believe what I was seeing but unfortunately it was real.

Hundreds of pictures were circulating mostly from newspapers and major news sites. I still have a file with myriads of 9/11 pictures I uploaded that day. I am keeping them as a testimonial of how evil some humans can be. I guess this is how human nature is made - it can go from the best to the worst.

I later found out that one man on board the United Airlines B-767 Boston-Los Angeles Flight 175 that crashed into the South Tower had the same first and last name as my brother: Louis Mariani. I knew it wasn't him but I really freaked out.

I always loved heights, skyscrapers and contemporary architecture, especially Twin Towers. I can still remember when the WTC Twin Towers were in construction - Architect and conceptor from Japan Minoru Yamasaki. I first saw them at Christmas/New Year's time in 1972. They would be inaugurated about 6 months later.

Some of my personal memories.

I was a former client at the Windows on the Word restaurant at 1 World Trade Center by day and by night on several occasions including the passage from 2010 to 2011 New Year's Eve always with a table by one of the floor to ceiling window with a view on the Empire State Building - either there or at the Greatest Bar on Earth one floor above the restaurant (1976-2001 RIP) with my countless visits, these places from where I could see the Brooklyn Bridge, the Statue of Liberty, most of Manhattan, the Atlantic Ocean, much of New Jersey, and all the way to Connecticut up to 90 miles away on a clear day.

Another most striking and unforgettable memory of the WTC Towers was that of French artist Philippe Petit in August of 1974. Philippe Petit was known as Le Funambule, "the Man on Wire". He went across the Twin Towers walking and dancing on his wire making stops in between. Some other people climbed the WTC Towers from bottom to top during about the same time period. Security was much less tight at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAVj2IVC9ko

So many personal memories and experiences that will never come again. I still have some items from the WTC including some high quality clothing I had bought in the WTC mall. It was the largest shopping mall in Manhattan. The mall will be reconstructed with the new tower project and it will be even larger than before.

No more Concordes landings at JFK. No more QE2 crossings. No more Twin Towers soaring to the sky.
New York City is definitely a different place.

RIP World Trade Center Twin Towers. I will never forget.

Then there was the Pentagon and the United 93 crash in Pennsylvania.

RIP 9/11 victims.

[Edited 2011-08-29 11:50:41]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

OA260

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:18 pm

I was on a Silversea cruise ship docked in Corfu , Greece. It was a lovely warm day and I was visiting Mouse Island near CFU Airport. I came back to the ship to see lots of people on the ship rushing around as most of them were Americans. My mate came running down to tell me what happened and it was on the TV. It was like watching a movie. One passenger in the suite next to us had her Son working in one of the towers. She was taken off the ship by medics. Never saw her again or found out what happened.

So I will never forget where I was that day .

ME AVN FAN

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:35 pm

All was normal into afternoon. But then, at a bit after 4pm, our Mr T.... (we only had one computer linked to the internet) complained that the internet was no longer working and that there was no access. I at a certain point decided to send the good man home, telling him he rather ought to do the work in question early next day. When he was out I checked the machine myself and took note that two small sports airplanes had flown into the WTC NY. I had to get out early and on the way switched from one radio station to the next. At destination, I handed over what I had to hand over, and went to a nearby pub where they had the TV on. And just when I went in there, saw the first tower collapsing, and not too long after came the second ! I cancelled my plan to do some phone-calls to the USA and went home. Mum, astonished about my early arrival asked "has something happened" and I told her that something HAD happened indeed.

Braniff747SP

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:35 pm

I was 4 years old. I remember my mother getting a call from my grandfather in Spain, to see if we had seen what was happening. We had just gotten up, so we went and turned the T.V. on, just in time to see United flight 175 hit the other tower... Even though I was four, I grasped the situation somewhat.

I was worried, as my dad was due to be on a flight to New York that day, from MXP.. I called, and I found out that his flight had been cancelled.

I'll never forget the day; I remember it very well...
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm

In my 7th grade Spanish class when our homeroom teacher entered and whispered the situation to our teacher who then told us.

Needless to say that the following days were very somber even though none of us lost family or friends.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NorthstarBoy

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm

I was 34 years old working the overnight shift at a travel agency in California. The call came in from Tommy, an agent in Florida, that a plane had hit the world trade center. We assumed it was a small plane and thought nothing more of it at first. A while later, he called back to say a second plane had hit and that the news was saying it was commercial airliners. I thought he was just messing with me. I honestly couldn't think there could be any possible scenario where someone would fly a commercial airliner straight into a high rise. Then a corporate traveler called in and said the same thing that commercial airliners had hit the world trade center. Finally, I called my dad and asked him to go turn on the TV, that i was getting reports of commercial airplanes hitting the world trade center and I wanted to know whether or not i was being snowed.

It became "real" when the boss brought in a tv and plugged it in, then things at work pretty much went crazy as flights started being canceled and airports started closing.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

lhr380

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Back then I was working for a stationers in the town where I lived. HOT day, and their had been a power cut. Power came on about 1 hour after they had collapsed, and was very confused with what the radio were saying. Called my mum who was at home and she told me the full story of what was going on. We closed early and I spent the next 12 hours glued to the tv not believing what I was seeing. Very sad day  
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

Longhornmaniac

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 pm

I was with my mom driving to school in my 3rd week of 7th grade, and we heard on the 8:00 news update that a "small plane" had crashed into one of the towers. I hopped in the back seat of my car, and flipped down our little TV, and tuned to one of the network stations (I believe it was ABC), just in time to watch the second plane fly into the second tower live. I informed my classmates when I got to school, we found a TV, and watched the towers collapse.

What a terrible day, that I'll never be able to forget.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

ogre727

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:09 pm

I was 25 at the time. Was actually living in Montreal were I was supposed to be learning French. By then I had decided to go to Venezuela to try and find a job there and I actually was flying that day YUL-EWR-CCS on Continental. As the flight was only in the afternoon I was getting ready to go out and buy some stuff my mom had asked for when it happened. I actually was brushing my teeth watching CNN and I remember that I was watching their regular programming; at that point I had started to turn around to go back to the bathroom when they broke the news.

Having gone to the twin towers many times (I love tall buildings) I knew that the hole wasn´t from a small plane, but I never ever thought it could be a terrorist act. In fact, after the SECOND plane hit, I just entered into a "blank" state, I couldn´t think anymore. One of the news presenters actually had to say "this must be some type of terrorist act" for me to get it. I just couldnt believe it.

I was dating an RCMP guy and was actually staying at his place. He worked in the money laundering department and his office was in Ottawa, and I remember talking to him while his building was evacuated. It was awful.

I was glued to the TV for the next two days. What I remember the most is the desesperation of the families looking for their loved ones. I couldn´t stop crying.

I also remember visiting some relatives who live in Montreal and who are communists, and they were celebrating with chamapgne. I left their place in tears of anger and sadness.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

76794p

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:27 pm

I was seven at the time and remember what happened quite well. I was at school in first grade and a few kids got picked up and i figured they had appointments then a ton of kids left and i knew something was not right. Since there were so few kids left we all sat in my classroom and played with lego's. My mom picked me up at the end of the day and told me that something had happend in New York and that i could not watch TV that day. Then my came home and we played catch. My parents watched TV all day. I also remember after 9/11 that my mom told my told to look out for anthrax in the mail and a post office near my house had gotten mail with it in it.
There's always money IN the banana stand.

wilco737

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm

On 9/11/01 I was home, just came 5 days ago from the US and was sitting on my couch, watching "the weakest link" when the show was interrupted for the horrible pictures from NYC. I was watching all day long the news, called friends, family and nobody believed me what happened...
I saw the impact of the 2nd airplane live on TV... It was like a shock.

The world has changed a lot since then....

R.I.P. to all those who perished that day... We will never forget you.

wilco737