Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fr8mech
Topic Author

"hanging On A Tree.”?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:37 am

So, Rep. Andre Carson (D-IN), an officer in the Congressional Black Caucus says that:
- Some in Congress would “love to see us as second-class citizens”
-“some of them in Congress right now of this tea party movement would love to see you and me ... hanging on a tree.”
-the tea party is stopping change in Congress, likening it to “the effort that we’re seeing of Jim Crow.”

Rather refreshingly, his office stands by his statements and he has not tried to put them 'in context'.

The man is sure acting like a racist, a race-baiter, a fear monger and hate monger.

Oh, let's not forget Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), also a member of the Congressional Black Caucus:
-that the tea party “can go straight to hell.”

I wonder how Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), Chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus will respond.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/62396.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ee/2011/08/30/gIQAFztmqJ_blog.html
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...e-black-americans-hanging-on-tree/
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20099889-503544.html

[Edited 2011-09-01 23:00:16]

[Edited 2011-09-01 23:00:50]
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

san747

RE: "hanging On A Tree.”?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 am

I knew this was going to be posted eventually.

Quoting fr8mech (Thread starter):

The man is sure acting like a racist, a race-baiter, a fear monger and hate monger.

Yes he sure is. I look forward to a thread full of angry conservatives describing how blacks and Democrats are the ones perpetuating racism now.

(And before anyone starts on me, yes, I do not condone the comments made. They were out of line.)

Ahh, A.net, you can be so predictable sometimes!   
Scotty doesn't know...

aloges

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 1):
angry conservatives

Now that's a tautology if I've ever heard one! 

describing how blacks and Democrats are the ones perpetuating racism now.

Sadly, I think you'll be proven right.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Maverick623

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:42 am

Some in Congress would “love to see us as second-class citizens”

A true statement.

some of them in Congress right now of this tea party movement would love to see you and me ... hanging on a tree.

A partially true statement, when put into context.

(Note the use of the weasel word "some". While he's technically right, the vast majority hold no such beliefs.)

I look forward to a thread full of angry conservatives describing how blacks and Democrats are the ones perpetuating racism now.

As a slightly pissed off... actually, my political leanings can't be categorized... , there are some (heh heh) darker-skinned folk that would have you believe racism is as prevalent now as it was in the 1950s. And in my experience, the ones that use that card the most are, in fact, just bad people looking for a free ride.

I wouldn't go as far to say that racism by blacks (or Hispanics, or any other "ethnic" group) is worse or more prevalent than racism by whites non-"ethnic" people, but it's gotten to the point where we can literally single out individuals (or small groups), instead of putting down an entire category of people.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

2707200X

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 am

I will not defend his statement on "hanging on a tree" that Democrat Andre Carson said, it was wrong but it is sure no damn excuse for the crazy stuff that "sum" of the tea party people say. We have yet to hear denounciations of these kinds of statements here.

[Edited 2011-09-02 01:40:20]
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 4):
the crazy stuff that "sum" of the tea party people say.

Ok, I'll play your game...cite some things that "some" members of the Tea Party Caucus have said that even comes close to this level of rhetoric (if it is rhetoric).

Rep. Carson (D-IN) has accused fellow Congressmen (Congresspeople?) of, not only racism, but wanting to return to an era of racial violence.

Where is the CBC leadership on this?

describing how blacks and Democrats are the ones perpetuating racism now.

Do you deny that there are blacks and self-described Democrats that make their living keeping racism alive and well here in the US?
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

san747

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:21 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):

Do you deny that there are blacks and self-described Democrats that make their living keeping racism alive and well here in the US?

Do you deny that there are whites and self-described Republicans that perpetuate existing racism by pretending it doesn't exist?

Ok, I'll play your game...cite some things that "some" members of the Tea Party Caucus have said that even comes close to this level of rhetoric (if it is rhetoric).

If by Caucus, you mean supporters (because the Tea Party has no centralized leadership, its more a collection of various fringe groups that hold extremist beliefs), then here you go:

http://youtu.be/jRJ2UmyHhxI

Those are "some" Tea Party members. Are all Tea Party members like them? No. Are all Democrats and/or black people like Congressman Carson? No.

This is a dumb little diversion tactic conservatives love to play. Every side has extremists. The more we pay attention to them, the more we legitimize them, and that will only make things worse.
Scotty doesn't know...

windy95

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes he sure is. I look forward to a thread full of angry conservatives describing how blacks and Democrats are the ones perpetuating racism now

Way to stand of for the racist congressman...

Sadly, I think you'll be proven right

Sadly you proved us right by not condemning these statements

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 3):
A partially true statement, when put into context.

(Note the use of the weasel word "some". While he's technically right, the vast majority hold no such beliefs.)

Can you prove that? Or is that your opinion?

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 4):
crazy stuff that "sum" of the tea party people say

Please..indulge us with the rhetoric of tea party congressman/woman.

Quoting san747 (Reply 6):
Do you deny that there are whites and self-described Republicans that perpetuate existing racism by pretending it doesn't exist?

Once again deflecting and refusing to stay on track with the thread. This is about the Congressman who should be sent packing for these types of comments about his fellow congressional members

casinterest

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I see this thread om the subject is already approaching the deletion level of comments just as the last one got deleted. '

The statements by Carson were over the top, and instead of specifically discussing the policies that affected certain members of his constituency, he decided to play the race card which should not have been played at all.
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Didn't Rush say we (the right wing) should put Obama "in his place" recently? That is not racist? In his place would be...? And it is okay to apologize and stand up for this kind of thinly-veiled racism. Cue the apologists in 3... 2... 1...
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Question, did Representative Carson mean "hanging on a tree" like christmas ornament or 'hanging from a tree' like a ... ?

2707200X

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 7):
Please..indulge us with the rhetoric of tea party congressman/woman.
http://www.theitem.com/news/article_...a-572c-5016-bb32-0b2144127323.html

I wonder if any of the Tea Party members here on anet have the courage to defend or denounce this joke about a death threat!
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

san747

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Way to stand of for the racist congressman...

That's interesting, because I totally said this in the very same reply you quoted:

(And before anyone starts on me, yes, I do not condone the comments made. They were out of line.)

Nice try, buddy. I said from the beginning that what Carson said was inappropriate.

Once again deflecting and refusing to stay on track with the thread. This is about the Congressman who should be sent packing for these types of comments about his fellow congressional members

If I'm wrong, why not respond to the relevant question I asked? How come every time someone attacks conservatives on here, they're instantly regaled with arguments that liberals/Democrats do things just as bad/inappropriate, but when the situation is reversed, it's "deflection"?

If what I did is deflection, I don't want to hear a peep about the Democrats in the next thread concerning the Tea Party, Republicans or conservatives then.
Scotty doesn't know...

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 pm

If by Caucus

No, by Caucus I mean these folks. You know members of Congress, just like Carson (D-IN) and Waters (D-CA), who also happen to be members of the CBC.

Quoting san747 (Reply 12):
How come every time someone attacks conservatives on here, they're instantly regaled with arguments that liberals/Democrats do things just as bad/inappropriate, but when the situation is reversed, it's "deflection"?

This is not about anybody but sitting elected Congressional members. I could care less what the average moron on the street says. This is a, supposedly respected member of Congress and an officer in the CBC.

Still nothing from Cleaver (D-MO).

Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):
Didn't Rush say we (the right wing) should put Obama "in his place" recently? That is not racist?

Yes, we should put President Obama in his place. His place being the head of a co-equal branch of government, not a dictator. Or, more realistically, his place being the unemployment line in 2013.

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 11):
I wonder if any of the Tea Party members here on anet have the courage to defend or denounce this joke about a death threat!

I'll defend it, because I've heard it about Bush I, Bush II, Clinton and Reagan. I've heard it where the principals were union members/leaders. I've heard where they are corporate leaders. I've heard where they're politicians. I've heard it referring to various sports teams/owners. It's an old and versatile joke. Are you claiming we're not allowed to make these jokes? If not, why?

There probably are. Whether they perpetuate it by denying it is up for debate, but the crux of my question (or assertion) is that these people (the race-baiters on the Left) make their living by ensuring that there is racial tension in the US. And, they are, almost exclusively, Democrats. And they are lauded as heroes by the media and their followers.

san747

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 13):
but the crux of my question (or assertion) is that these people (the race-baiters on the Left) make their living by ensuring that there is racial tension in the US. And, they are, almost exclusively, Democrats.

So admitting that racism still exists is race-baiting? Just because most on the right ignore it doesn't mean the problem doesn't still exist.

And there are plenty of Republicans that make their living exclusively on galvanizing and polarizing the American public. It's a way of getting votes and getting headlines- people on both sides do it.
Scotty doesn't know...

2707200X

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:35 pm

I'll defend it, because I've heard it about Bush I, Bush II, Clinton and Reagan. I've heard it where the principals were union members/leaders. I've heard where they are corporate leaders. I've heard where they're politicians. I've heard it referring to various sports teams/owners. It's an old and versatile joke. Are you claiming we're not allowed to make these jokes? If not, why?

So you are excusing death threats jokes at a sitting leader because other people say the same thing, this is pettiness not character or courage.

There probably are. Whether they perpetuate it by denying it is up for debate, but the crux of my question (or assertion) is that these people (the race-baiters on the Left) make their living by ensuring that there is racial tension in the US. And, they are, almost exclusively, Democrats. And they are lauded as heroes by the media and their followers.

Bull, look at Rush and Glenn Beck and all the other right-wing freaks, don't deny you don't have racists in your party and Tea Party movenent while you accuse us of being almost the exclusive race baters. Yeah I can admit we have stupid people problems but don't deny it for your party and Tea Party movement.

At least I and other Dems, liberals and RINOS can take respinsibility for the s### that some people say. I am not defending clowns like the other side is doing. I think that says a lot about the right-wing wreckless rhetoric in this country.

[Edited 2011-09-02 14:19:05]

seb146

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 pm

His place being the head of a co-equal branch of government, not a dictator.

Not that Bush/Cheney/Rice, etc. ever did anything like that....

fr8mech
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 15):
Bull, look at Rush and Glenn Beck and all the other right-wing freaks, don't deny you don't have racists in your party

I would really like for you to post some citations that show that Limbaugh, Beck, Medved, Bennett, and all the other 'right-wing freaks' are racists.

I'm pretty sure it's time to lock this thread because it's just spinning off onto tangents.

Oh, by the way...has Cleaver (D-MO), Chairman of the Black Congressional Caucus, made a statement concerning Carson's (D-IN), the CBC's Chief Vote Counter, inflammatory and racist statements?

san747

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:57 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 17):

I'm pretty sure it's time to lock this thread because it's just spinning off onto tangents.

Why? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you brought this up to discuss racism by public officials (though I'm sure a little liberal/Democrat-bashing was part of the motivation). Are you upset because we're bringing up the obvious fact that some Republicans and Tea Partiers are racist as well as some Democrats?

I would really like for you to post some citations that show that Limbaugh, Beck, Medved, Bennett, and all the other 'right-wing freaks' are racists.

You make this too easy, though I'm sure you'll dismiss them as jokes or out of context or something infantile like that:

http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane...lla/top-10-racist-limbaugh-quotes/
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/limbaugh.asp
http://colorlines.com/archives/2010/...8/glennys_greates_racist_hits.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...n-becks-obama-racist_n_253264.html
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/08/beck-slavery-slavery-everywhere
http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2...sm-michael-medved-defends-slavery/
http://articles.cnn.com/2005-09-30/p...le-thing-black-baby?_s=PM:POLITICS

Would you like more?
Scotty doesn't know...

2707200X

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:28 am

Medved

Medved is one of the sane ones, I have given citations before on the rhetoric. If you are going to deny the s## that they say that is your absence and the Tea Publicans absence from reality, not mine. Anyway the quotations are above.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:16 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 18):
You make this too easy

You're right, that was easy and you took it. Your research skills rock. Now do the same thing for those on the left that spew racial hatred in the name of racial equality. I think you'll find that the folks you locate are a lot closer to the power structure than Limbaugh, Beck, et.al.

Quoting san747 (Reply 18):
Why? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you brought this up to discuss racism by public officials (though I'm sure a little liberal/Democrat-bashing was part of the motivation). Are you upset because we're bringing up the obvious fact that some Republicans and Tea Partiers are racist as well as some Democrats?

Actually, no. I know Carson (D-IN) and Waters (D-CA) are racists and hate-mongers. I was wondering why Cleaver (D-MO), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, hasn't called them to task on their statements. Especially the statements of Carson, who leveled a clearly scurilous attack on his esteemed colleagues.

And to be fair, I ask myself why Speaker Boehner (R-OH) hasn't said anything.

We really do need to hold these elected officials, both Left and Right, to a higher standard.

san747

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:27 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 20):

You're right, that was easy and you took it. Your research skills rock. Now do the same thing for those on the left that spew racial hatred in the name of racial equality. I think you'll find that the folks you locate are a lot closer to the power structure than Limbaugh, Beck, et.al.

Well I researched those particular people because you named them, but I can come up with examples of racial hatred by Republicans in power as well (Doug Lamborn, Trent Lott, Steve King, Michael Steele come to mind immediately).

And while obviously there are examples of Democrats using racially charged arguments, once again, just because you think racism against the black community no longer exists doesn't mean that is the case.

I was wondering why Cleaver (D-MO), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, hasn't called them to task on their statements. Especially the statements of Carson, who leveled a clearly scurilous attack on his esteemed colleagues.

That is a good question.

We really do need to hold these elected officials, both Left and Right, to a higher standard.

Agreed. Race is still a sensitive subject in American politics, and all statements like Carson's do is undermine efforts to further equality to his own community. Going to extremes on either end will accomplish nothing but unfortunately, it's all we're doing.
Scotty doesn't know...

flyingclrs727

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 am

Allen West of Florida May Quit Black Caucus Over ‘Race-Baiting’

http://politic365.com/2011/09/01/all...it-black-caucus-over-race-baiting/

fr8mech
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:42 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 21):
just because you think racism against the black community no longer exists doesn't mean that is the case.

I don't think it doesn't exist, but it doesn't exist to the level that Revs. Sharpton & Jackson, Rep. Jackson (D-IL), Kweisi Mfume, Rep. Lee (D-TX) among others, claim it does. To them, anything involving a black person is racially motivated. And the media hails them as heroes.

wukka

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 am

Answering a question with a question is not really productive. That said, I'll fall into the trap. Don't you think that democrats who perpetuate the existing racism are fools for bringing up straight garbage that will probably die off in the next generation? Oh no... wait... you can't.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):
Didn't Rush say we (the right wing) should put Obama "in his place" recently? That is not racist?

If you interpret, "in his place," as being racist, you're a sick individual. "In his place" most certainly refers to back on the street and out of the White House by vote of the American public. You're being simplistically racist by implying that that's even remotely racist!

Quoting san747 (Reply 14):
Just because most on the right ignore it doesn't mean the problem doesn't still exist.

This is simply hilarious! You mean that because someone might be on the right and pay no attention to the race issue, somehow it's still race based? Damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh? Ridiculous. Can't someone ignore it because it just doesn't matter?!?

Quoting san747 (Reply 14):
It's a way of getting votes and getting headlines- people on both sides do it.

Oh. So now since, "both sides do it," it's acceptable to be the wheel that gets the grease. Didn't you just say that if you ignore racism, you're racist? Broad brush you paint with.
We can agree to disagree.

san747

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Lord, when I'm right I'm right! Angry conservatives have spent the whole thread telling how blacks and Democrats are the only purveyors of racism now.

Quoting wukka (Reply 24):
That said, I'll fall into the trap. Don't you think that democrats who perpetuate the existing racism are fools for bringing up straight garbage that will probably die off in the next generation? Oh no... wait... you can't.

Polls have frequently showed this generation of young people is more conservative than past generations, so I severely doubt racism is dying off within the next 20 years. Even if racist attitudes were something that could just "die off," are you saying we should do nothing to work on the problem in the meantime because it will just "solve itself"?

Because historically political issues involving race discrimination and equality have totally done that.  

Oh. So now since, "both sides do it," it's acceptable to be the wheel that gets the grease. Didn't you just say that if you ignore racism, you're racist? Broad brush you paint with.

All I ever hear from conservatives here when criticism is laid against conservative politicians is that "the other side does it" and that is a perfectly acceptable response. Shit, that's been used as an excuse in this thread when I pointed out instances of conservatives making racist remarks! ...but when I do it, I'm being hypocritical? Sorry, friend, you don't get special treatment.

You mean that because someone might be on the right and pay no attention to the race issue, somehow it's still race based? Damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh? Ridiculous. Can't someone ignore it because it just doesn't matter?!?

I've said it before and I'll say it again- why is it always white people who say there is no longer any racism (except of course against them) or that it is no longer relevant?

If you aren't white, I apologize, but I have never heard a minority say they believe racism no longer exists in America, and honestly, I'm more inclined to believe them on the subject than a white person who has never faced systemic discrimination in their lives.

So since racism still exists and has tangible implications against minority communities, I think it DOES matter quite a bit. Remember, just because you might not be racist, doesn't mean all people like you aren't.
Scotty doesn't know...

seb146

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 25):
I have never heard a minority say they believe racism no longer exists in America, and honestly, I'm more inclined to believe them on the subject than a white person who has never faced systemic discrimination in their lives.

I find it interesting the right wing acts as though racism never existed. When they read the Constitution on the floor of The House, they left out all the racial parts; like a Black man's vote only counts as 3/5 of one vote. Also, they make racial comments without qulifiying any of what they say and then get offended when someone calls them racist.

Yes, racism still exists in America. As a White man, I see it every day. Against Whites, against Latinos, against Blacks, against Indians.... Don't be ignorant.

wukka

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:51 am

All I ever hear from conservatives here when criticism is laid against conservative politicians is that "the other side does it" and that is a perfectly acceptable response. Shit, that's been used as an excuse in this thread when I pointed out instances of conservatives making racist remarks! ...but when I do it, I'm being hypocritical? Sorry, friend, you don't get special treatment.

That is not an acceptable response. It is finger pointing at the worst, and turning tables at best. And yeah, you're a hypocrite. You're playing the same damn game, brother! If that's not hypocrisy, what is?

Remember, just because you might not be racist, doesn't mean all people like you aren't.
people like you
people like you
people like you

"People like you". Shit man, you have no idea who I am. Another stroke with your broad brushes. Time to go get another palette.

See ya.
We can agree to disagree.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Polls have frequently showed this generation of young people is more conservative than past generations, so I severely doubt racism is dying off within the next 20 years.

So, you're equating Conservatism with racism? I'm not offended (being offended at everything is the province of the Left); I'm saddened that you, a seemingly intelligent person, has been duped by those that would perpetuate racism in this country. They want polarization along political lines.

Dreadnought

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):
So, you're equating Conservatism with racism? I'm not offended (being offended at everything is the province of the Left); I'm saddened that you, a seemingly intelligent person, has been duped by those that would perpetuate racism in this country. They want polarization along political lines.

I echo your sentiment, with the exception of the "seemingly intelligent" part. The very last thing the Left wants to see is the effective end of racism. It's the same thing with the Union Business - The last thing they want to see is for labor and management to get along well and work together productively, because that would eliminate the need for the union. They thrive on conflict and hatred, and take every opportunity to stoke the fires.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

san747

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting wukka (Reply 27):

"People like you". Shit man, you have no idea who I am. Another stroke with your broad brushes. Time to go get another palette.

I used the phrase "people like you" once, not 4 times as you quoted, and not in a derogatory manner. Are you not conservative? All your posts historically indictate so, but if I'm wrong I apologize. I'm not here to be confrontational or judgmental.

Quoting wukka (Reply 27):

That is not an acceptable response. It is finger pointing at the worst, and turning tables at best. And yeah, you're a hypocrite. You're playing the same damn game, brother! If that's not hypocrisy, what is?

Fine. You're right. I shouldn't do that.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):

So, you're equating Conservatism with racism?

I'm equating conservatism with old-fashioned thinking and the idea that because this generation is less racist than in the past, race is no longer an important issue. No conservative in this thread has shown me they believe otherwise yet. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):
They thrive on conflict and hatred, and take every opportunity to stoke the fires.

You say liberals thrive on conflict and hatred, and yet one sentence before that you say this-

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):

I echo your sentiment, with the exception of the "seemingly intelligent" part.

...that's not taking a (completely un-called for) opportunity to stroke a fire? Not even subtly implying that I'm stupid because I have a different philosophy on how to solve our problems? I'm not one to take things personally, but you really don't need to stoop to such comments, OK?
Scotty doesn't know...

Maverick623

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 26):
When they read the Constitution on the floor of The House, they left out all the racial parts; like a Black man's vote only counts as 3/5 of one vote.

A little clarification:

Quote:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

Firstly, non-free people were not allowed to vote. The clause was used so that slave states could get some extra Representatives, but not effectively overrun the free states in the House.

Secondly, while Blacks made up the majority of slaves in the 18th and 19th century, there have been sizable populations of Chinese and Native American slaves. Racism didn't (and doesn't) just exist against Black people.

a white person who has never faced systemic discrimination in their lives.

I'm a White Catholic of Irish ancestry (traced partially back to 1864 at Ellis Island). You better believe my ancestors faced discrimination when they came to the US, and you better believe that so-called "affirmative action" programs are inherently racist and systematically deny White people admission into colleges, scholarships, and jobs.

Yea, we may not have had it nearly as bad as Blacks did until the 1960s, but to deny that there has NEVER been discrimination, and that we are therefore disqualified from having a valid opinion, is friggen ridiculous.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

san747

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:21 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 31):

Well I apologize then. I'm clearly in the wrong on this issue, so I'll concede to you guys who seem to be better informed. Like I said before, I'm not here to be judgmental or confrontational. I hope I can learn from all of you.
Scotty doesn't know...