Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

Blackberry's Strengths?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Heard that Blackberry 9850 will be in Asia soon. How does this compare with 9900?

Which one is better? Blackberry or I phone?

From what I heard, Blackberry is much stronger in e-mails and business functions. Can anyone please explain why/whether or not this is true?

BMI727

RE: Blackberry's Strengths?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
Can anyone please explain why/whether or not this is true?

They have dedicated servers for more secure communications. I know that India, the UAE, and several other countries have taken issue with this though China is not on that list, yet.

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
Which one is better? Blackberry or I phone?

Android.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

northstardc4m

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

All Blackberry traffic is at least scrambled (most is actually encrypted).
The new 9850 and 9900 are nice. 9850 is the new all touch screen torch (no keypad at all)
I like my keypad but... iphone vs 9850 is all preference. What are you going to use it for?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

planeguy727

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 pm

When I had the choice of iPhone or Blackberry I went BB. It gives me the option to create and edit Word, Excel, & powerpoint files from my mobile device. Because I use it for business functions it was the most logical choice. Additionally, it is quite robust with the e-mail and I have a MASSIVE preference for the keyboard over typing on the touchscreen.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

kl838

Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:03 am

After owning a Blackberry Bold 9700 for 2 years now, all that I could say is that the phone is very buggy and is very cheaply built. I was honestly disappointed after purchasing it, and will be making the switch to the iPhone once the next one is released.

I just really think they are falling behind, and they fail to notice the small bugs they have in their touch screen phones like with the torch. When you are in a phone call the touch screen is still active and will either mute, cancel, or activate speaker phone during the call. The OS itself has improved a lot with 6 and should be even better with 7, yet it just seems all together quite boring.

The blackberry messenger and the push email, is the two major strengths and are seamless and easy to use. Since Apple will release iOS 5 with iMessenger, I think BBM might have its days numbered. Blackberries are generally okay phones but they lack the fun and wow factor of the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy line. It just seems they aren't trying hard enough.

wukka

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:11 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):
Android.

Huzzah!   I second that.
We can agree to disagree.

bill142

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 am

Quoting kl838 (Reply 4):
Since Apple will release iOS 5 with iMessenger, I think BBM might have its days numbered.

Single platform messenger apps have their days numbered.

NWAESC

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:30 am

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 3):
Additionally, it is quite robust with the e-mail and I have a MASSIVE preference for the keyboard over typing on the touchscreen.

+1000

I also prefer the BB for the office functions it has on it...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

wukka

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:48 am

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 7):
Additionally, it is quite robust with the e-mail and I have a MASSIVE preference for the keyboard over typing on the touchscreen.

+1000

Once you swype...

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 7):
I also prefer the BB for the office functions it has on it...

The iPhone and the Droid can outfunction the hell out of the current BB on office apps. Document integration, Exchange integration... hell, you can mirror a presentation off of some Droids via HDMI output so you don't even need your laptop!

What can a BB do that an iPhone or a droid can't? I converted, and am blown away that I missed *that* much being a BB user. Drink the kool-aid, man. Anything is better than a BB. RIM is a sinking ship. Grab the life preserver while you can!
We can agree to disagree.

swissy

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Quoting kl838 (Reply 4):

After owning a Blackberry Bold 9700 for 2 years now, all that I could say is that the phone is very buggy and is very cheaply built. I was honestly disappointed after purchasing it, and will be making the switch to the iPhone once the next one is released.

Got one over 2 years ago...still works great, as for cheaply build...compare it to all the other cr.. out there 2 years ago, it is not like the Iphone 3 is built and feels like a RR or Bentley. Wife's galaxy same thing... My oldest BB is over 6 years old and it still works  Wow!, all in all I have 6 of them, non of them had any hardware or software failure, some had software "issues" but they all got fixed by BB. Lets not forget every phone has his challenges and issues, all manufacturers are working hard to please us all  

Just got my new "Torch II" and I must say so far a fantastic step up from the first version, OS7 works great, running on the G4 networks rocks  
It gives me the option to create and edit Word, Excel, & powerpoint files from my mobile device. Because I use it for business functions it was the most logical choice. Additionally, it is quite robust with the e-mail and I have a MASSIVE preference for the keyboard over typing on the touchscreen.

Same here   call me old school but I sure love the keyboard and with the Torch I can slide it out and have a full screen to work with, if needed...

But the big question is: why are we always trying to turn a BB into a Iphone and a Android into a BB/Iphone? A BB is a BB, the Iphone is a Iphone a Android is a Android... As soon Apple brings a version out with a keyboard I sure will try it out!!!  

As for apps? care less, so much rubbish out there....

So it is a question of what do you want to use it for?

Klaus

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Quoting swissy (Reply 9):
But the big question is: why are we always trying to turn a BB into a Iphone and a Android into a BB/Iphone? A BB is a BB, the Iphone is a Iphone a Android is a Android...

That is not the point – the platform manufacturers just attempt to round out their own with the specific features they were still missing: RIM seems to try gaining app capability, Apple is trying to make the iPhone as capable and as secure for business use as the Blackberry. Both of course try to retain what strengths they already had.

As soon Apple brings a version out with a keyboard I sure will try it out!!!

You should probably not hold your breath about that.

It seems the interest in tiny mechanical keyboards is pretty much limited to some of the people who've gotten used to those already, which is a shrinking audience as a fraction of the total.

As for apps? care less, so much rubbish out there....

Most people care more about the interesting or even brilliant apps than for the mediocre ones. And there are many high-end apps in the App Store – both for personal and for business use.

elbandgeek

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Devil's Advocate Time
I replaced my old BlackBerry with a Windows Phone (HTC Trophy) about 3 months ago and wouldn't think of going to another platform at this point. It runs smooth as glass, the app selection is growing at a very good rate (about as fast as iOS as much faster than Android at this point in their respective lives), and the Mango update releasing in a few weeks is going to fill in the few shortcomings it has and then go well beyond.
Email through Exchange/Outlook is as good or better than BlackBerry and native support for Windows Live Messenger and Facebook Chat are coming in Mango, both of which are much more useful than BBM or iMessage based on the virtue of being cross-platform, and they integrate seamlessly with with the SMS app. One little button switches between them within the same conversation thread. Native Skype will be in a future release as well once the merger is settled but in the meantime they'll have an app available.

swissy

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Guten Tag Klaus  
Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
That is not the point – the platform manufacturers just attempt to round out their own with the specific features they were still missing: RIM seems to try gaining app capability, Apple is trying to make the iPhone as capable and as secure for business use as the Blackberry. Both of course try to retain what strengths they already had.

Exactly   , Apple does it with one style of phone, two since launch IIRC, BB has about 6 "new/newer" styles on the market, Android....close to endless choices

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
Most people care more about the interesting or even brilliant apps than for the mediocre ones. And there are many high-end apps in the App Store – both for personal and for business use.

What would that be Klaus? 5-10 or 15% tops, the way I see it is simple, quality over quantity, sure, no argue BB is lacking way behind in apps, but as soon BB's can access/run the droid apps different story.

Quoting wukka (Reply 8):
RIM is a sinking ship. Grab the life preserver while you can!

IIRC, it was not too long ago people said the same thing about Apple... I enjoy the battle between all of them because I believe, we the end users will benefit from it.

Cheerios,

Klaus

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Quoting swissy (Reply 12):
What would that be Klaus? 5-10 or 15% tops,

With more than 425000 apps in the store, even just 5% would still mean 21250 high-class apps, and in the App Store that is actually not unlikely – since these more than 425000 apps are all vetted and validated, there aren't ripoff, malware or plagiarized copies among them, so the worst you can get is mediocre apps, but no outright junk.

the way I see it is simple, quality over quantity,

I agree.

sure, no argue BB is lacking way behind in apps, but as soon BB's can access/run the droid apps different story.

Even if it should run Android apps somewhat properly: Where's the really high-class Android software? Is there any? Most business apps are made exclusively for iOS; Only very few even make it to Android (usually in lower-grade versions). Is that really much of a gain, particularly from the perspective of RIM?

IIRC, it was not too long ago people said the same thing about Apple...

Sure. But where's the Steve Jobs for RIM? And where is the opportunity to exploit?

I enjoy the battle between all of them because I believe, we the end users will benefit from it.

Indeed. But that alone doesn't help any Blackberry user if RIM should kick the bucket.

NWAESC

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Quoting wukka (Reply 8):
Once you swype...

Don't like swype, either. Guess I'm just too big a fan of an old fashioned Qwerty keyboard...

Quoting wukka (Reply 8):

The iPhone and the Droid can outfunction the hell out of the current BB on office apps. Document integration, Exchange integration... hell, you can mirror a presentation off of some Droids via HDMI output so you don't even need your laptop!

That may be, but I send I *prefer* the BB's suite. To each his own, I guess.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

swissy

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):

What would that be Klaus? 5-10 or 15% tops,

With more than 425000 apps in the store, even just 5% would still mean 21250 high-class apps, and in the App Store that is actually not unlikely – since these more than 425000 apps are all vetted and validated, there aren't ripoff, malware or plagiarized copies among them, so the worst you can get is mediocre apps, but no outright junk.

Perhaps, I as an end user define "junk" different then you because of your job you can see deeper then I ever will or want too   into these apps 

It is just ridicules bragging about 400K+ apps when in reality perhaps 5% are usable and justify the cost behind it...but hey that is just my own humble somewhat outdated BB user opinion   and 400k sounds way cooler then 21k  
Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
Even if it should run Android apps somewhat properly: Where's the really high-class Android software? Is there any? Most business apps are made exclusively for iOS; Only very few even make it to Android (usually in lower-grade versions). Is that really much of a gain, particularly from the perspective of RIM?

Well Klaus, bottom line is, BB is lacking large to capture the "average Joe" attention and I think it is mostly because of the app hype, with Android they will be sure to eliminated one big draw back, the almighty apps or lack of them, regardless of the quality of some of these apps.... and perhaps RIM and Android will be able to make it work and the sky is the limit .

Based on some comments perhaps Android has good apps, but what do I know...I am just that poor guy without all these cool apps  

Like I s said before, saying RIM is dead in the water is just ignorant, cannot believe that people have forgotten where Apple once was and look at them today, now do you think they will forever be up there? No... history has proven that, RIM's finances are sound and they do not need a "Steve" to make it work, neither does Apple need the "Steve Man", Apple is way more then Steve...

Cheerios,

gigneil

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:38 am

The next two major Blackberry devices, based on their new QNX derived OS, won't even support BES at release.

That is indicative of a dead Blackberry product line to me.

NS

mandala499

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:18 am

They have dedicated servers for more secure communications.

That means your data has to go to a RIM server (Canada for countries without a local server), and then back to the phone again... the BB packet data does not seem to go peer to peer... even if it does, well, running 2G IM messages over 2 sets of phones reaching the target before BBM messages over 2 sets of 3G BBs is... baffling...

I know that India, the UAE, and several other countries have taken issue with this though China is not on that list, yet.

Several countries want control over data transmitted to/from devices (ie: able to bug it), and has asked for RIM to locate a server in the country. China is just too big of a market for RIM not to comply to that request before it hits the headlines...

Android.

Yummy!

When I had the choice of iPhone or Blackberry I went BB. It gives me the option to create and edit Word, Excel, & powerpoint files from my mobile device.

Hmmm... I enjoy working from my Galaxy more than from BB...

Keyboard? It's not always better to have a keyboard. I have my Galaxy and my BB, each has its ups and downs for keyboard usability.

Quoting kl838 (Reply 4):
The blackberry messenger and the push email, is the two major strengths and are seamless and easy to use.

Push email for Android, grab MailDroid and it works as well as the BB push email (and yes, we got faster push notification on the Android)... but, the default Android mail client sucks!

My office has a policy of "No BB for work email", and that email-on-the-move should be catered through a phone of another system. Why? Well, we've managed to ground several BBs to a halt with the amount of emails with attachment we send through... Nokias, iOS and Android devices don't have a problem... the BBs did.

The kinds of emails we exchange, seems to eat up the processor power of the BB (in several instants, encryption/decryption processing on the phone ate up so much battery that it needed charging every 3 hours)... BES users seems to have it better... but then, no BES for my company.

I have 1 of my email accounts pushed to the Galaxy and the BB... the BB always gets the notification LAST!

Quoting gigneil (Reply 16):
The next two major Blackberry devices, based on their new QNX derived OS, won't even support BES at release.

I think BBM is what got them to the size they're at now, but, it's also what's preventing them from going further...

iPhone are eating the BB market on the upper end of features. Android is eating the BB on the middle and lower end of the features. Symbian is hanging on to it's robustness... and BB is beginning to lose ground.

According to one of the senior analysts at one of the gadget magazines in Indonesia, "unless RIM comes up with something, it's dominance in our market will crumble even faster, by 2012, Android will have the fastest market growth in Indonesia, and by 2014, it will no longer be the biggest in Indonesia. RIM is a victim of its own success, it has driven its competitors to innovate to save themselves, now, it's RIM's turn whose growth in Indonesia has been based on seamless email, social media and chat. The others are beginning to be better at that."

We'll see... it's gonna be an interesting few years ahead.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

signol

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:36 am

Android

Agreed

I have a MASSIVE preference for the keyboard

The HTC Desire Z has a full Qwerty keyboard.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

dumbell2424

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Quoting kl838 (Reply 4):
After owning a Blackberry Bold 9700 for 2 years now, all that I could say is that the phone is very buggy and is very cheaply built.

I have the CDMA version-the 9650, and had issues until I upgraded firmware....have you tried that?

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:26 am

Which is the one with both keypad and touch screen? I mean the upcoming model. 9810?

dumbell2424

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:50 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 20):
Which is the one with both keypad and touch screen? I mean the upcoming model. 9810?

The 9900/9930, or the Bold 2.

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-bold-9900-9930/

swissy

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 20):

That is the Torch II, it has the slide out keyboard

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 21):
The 9900/9930, or the Bold 2.

Looks and feels rock solid, have a few friends that have the Bold I since ever and they did not want to upgrade until Bold II is/was available, so far they are happy with version II  

Cheerios,

Klaus

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 am

To little surprise (see above), the sharks are smelling the blood in the water:

RIM shareholder calls for strategic shake up | Money | Toronto Sun

Quote:
Research in Motion may have a shareholder revolt to add to its woes.

Jaguar Financial, an investment banking shareholder in the technology giant, urges a major strategic shake up, including a possible sale of the BlackBerry maker.

The bank, which invests in poorly performing companies and pushes for change, said RIM needs to appoint a special committee to examine all possible options following the collapse in the company’s share price.

[...]

"The status quo is not acceptable. The company cannot sit still. It is time for transformational change,” Jaguar chairman and chief executive Vic Alboini said in a statement. “The Directors need to seize the reins to maximize shareholder value before more market value is lost."

Probably aiming at the standard slice-and-monetize approach of corporate carrion feeders.

n6238p

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 am

My favorite part of my BB Torch is that if I ever get heat stroke, I can put the phone down my shirt, it's always frozen.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

gigneil

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 17):
Symbian is hanging on to it's robustness... and BB is beginning to lose ground.

Nah, Symbian is dead. Nokia has pretty much pulled the plug.

NS

swissy

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:52 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 23):
To little surprise (see above), the sharks are smelling the blood in the water:

What a coincident... sound similar like it did when Apple "went" down the tube... It was not long ago Apple was "the odd" one... Look at them today...

Do not think we can compare the Symbain/BB...

BB's market has shrunk because they "ignored" the fact what average Joe was/is looking for... new products are coming fast...improved compare to the old versions...

I give BB/RIM the same chance I gave Apple to pull out of the hole being the "odd" one  

Cheerios,

yowza

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:38 pm

I am a former iPhone user that has switched back to BB. I have both the 9900 and the 9850 and believe it or not OS7 is surprisingly good. With both handsets I find battery life is better than I enjoyed on my iPhone. The 9900 has an awesome keyboard - reminds me of the original bold keyboard - I can text without looking which is nice. Browsing on both is better than on any BB before - almost but not quite iPhone quality. BB has pulled their socks up in terms of sex appeal. Both handsets are nice looking and don't feel cheap.

Full disclosure: I am required to use a BB for work reason, if I had my pick of the litter I would likely be rocking a Galaxy S2  

YOWza

Klaus

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Quoting swissy (Reply 26):
What a coincident... sound similar like it did when Apple "went" down the tube... It was not long ago Apple was "the odd" one... Look at them today...

Hence my questions above: Who could conceivably save them, and by exploiting what opportunity in the market?

The same questions were valid in 1997 with Apple, but it is exceptionally rare that they find a positive answer, let alone a meteoric rise like Apple's since then (and yes, of course it remains to be seen how Apple will fare from here onwards, even though I see little cause for concern so far).

swissy

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:50 am

Quoting yowza (Reply 27):
I have both the 9900 and the 9850 and believe it or not OS7 is surprisingly good.

The 9900 is next on my list   it is a very nicely build phone and yes the OS7 is running very good on my Torch too.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
Hence my questions above: Who could conceivably save them, and by exploiting what opportunity in the market?

I guess it is more like, Who and What would save BB... Re invention/innovation, Apple, Android  .

Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
The same questions were valid in 1997 with Apple, but it is exceptionally rare that they find a positive answer, let alone a meteoric rise like Apple's since then (and yes, of course it remains to be seen how Apple will fare from here onwards, even though I see little cause for concern so far).

Agree Klaus, I, a humble BB user have no concerns with Apples future  , it sure is slightly different for BB since they "only" compete in the cell phone/tablet market. Trends however are, these devices are going to be the future, mobile all the way. It is just fantastic how Apple is/was able to gain so much momentum/market with 2 phone/tablet models so far. Like the I-phone 2 very much...the only thing missing is the keyboard   to make it work for me  

Cheerios,

tommy767

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I lost my droid 2 on a roller coaster at Universal in Orlando. Ever since then I got a blackberry because it was cheaper and DEEPLY regret my decision.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA