Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

New Laptop :(

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Well, long story, but it looks like my baggage got misplaced. Probably in JFK.... My laptop was in there so it looks like I'm gonna need a new one. I'm pretty good with computers, but there are so many laptops out there I have no idea where to begin. I'm looking for a normal sized laptop with very good durability and good battery life. I'd be playing games, but not anything too heavy or modern. Don't do any picture editing or anything, just want normal everyday stuff. Is there a site that has a lot of comparisons or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

PS: iDontMac  

dumbell2424

RE: New Laptop :(

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Price range?

Also before you buy, check newegg.com or even some of the big-name stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart) instead of just the manufacturer's website. The big name stores can have special editions that were just made for their sale that can be priced fairly nicely and newegg can have some pretty sharp deals as well.

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 1):
check newegg.com

I'd avoid big box stores altogether. Just get whichever laptop has the best ratings/most reviews on newegg in your price range and you can't go wrong.

andz

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Okay I'll say it.... you checked your laptop? I guess you got what you deserved.

Unless this was your first flight and nobody warned you.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Springbok747

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 3):
Okay I'll say it.... you checked your laptop? I guess you got what you deserved.

Yeah..seriously..why did you put your laptop in checked baggage?!

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Thread starter):
m looking for a normal sized laptop with very good durability and good battery life. I'd be playing games, but not anything too heavy or modern.

If you're looking for mainstream manufacturers then how about Alienware (from Dell)? I have an Alienware M11x and it is awesome..small, portable and good battery life (I get about 9 hours at the moment, and my laptop is almost 2 years old). Toshiba also have a good lineup..so consider them also.

You can always get a Mac..but apparently they're coming out with a new MacBook Pro sometime next year (not sure..maybe our resident Apple expert..aka..Klaus   will shed some more light on this) so guess you'd need to wait a while before getting one.
אני תומך בישראל

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 3):

Unless this was your first flight and nobody warned you.

Long story, like I said! I ALWAYS carry on, I was last on the plane, non-reving, and was rushed on. The guy said he'd check it, and that is the last I saw of it. The one time it gets checked (or not) it gets stolen/lost! D:

Klaus

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 4):
You can always get a Mac..but apparently they're coming out with a new MacBook Pro sometime next year (not sure..maybe our resident Apple expert..aka..Klaus   will shed some more light on this) so guess you'd need to wait a while before getting one.

At your service.   

This is an excellent resource for that kind of question:
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

The status in short:
- MacBook Air: Buy Now! Product just updated
- MacBook Pro: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

All MacBooks are current technology-wise, however (all with Thunderbolt and current-generation CPUs).

CplKlinger

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:28 pm

My only advice is to stay away (far, far, far away) from Dell. In one year my wife's Dell was basically rebuilt (new HDD, battery, screen, inverter and motherboard) and finally replaced. They are junk, and their techs have no clue what they're doing.

Either pony up for a Mac or get an Acer, Sony or HP. Those are all equally well built and solid.

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 7):
My only advice is to stay away (far, far, far away) from Dell. In one year my wife's Dell was basically rebuilt (new HDD, battery, screen, inverter and motherboard) and finally replaced. They are junk, and their techs have no clue what they're doing.

Agreed.

Acer, Sony or HP. Those are all equally well built and solid.

My experience working with on all of those has not been much better than Dells.

ASUS, MSi and the higher end Toshibas are my top picks.

ShyFlyer

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 pm

I've owned Dell products for....gosh....eleven years now I suppose. Never did I have an issue with the hardware. The only software issue I've had is the video drivers for my 2008 vintage M1730. It's a minor issue, especially after I upgraded to Windows 7. Actually, since the upgrade I've had no video driver issues. Oh, and the original battery died after only about a year or so. The current battery is still good.

I'd probably buy another Dell.
I lift things up and put them down.

ltbewr

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 pm

You didn't have 'Lo-Jack' on it did you? Some computers have it free for 1 year with certain deals. If you do, it might help if someone gets it and tries to use it.

elbandgeek

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

The "big name" brands have a wide range with varying quality. I have an HP Envy 14 which is extremely well built and specced, but I wouldn't put much faith in a lower-end HP.

If I were in the market for a new one right now I would be looking at the new Samsung Series 7 that was just announced (don't think it's actually out just yet). Impressive looking build quality and the specs can't be beat for the price. A quadcore i7 in the base model for $999 (in comparison, my Envy has an dual i5 which was 50 bucks to upgrae from an i3 on the base model which is also $999, which was still a good deal when I got it)
On top of that, Samsung displays are hard to beat. 1600x900 standard (mine is the same but was extra) and they managed to fit 14 and 15 inch displays into 13 and 14 inch chasis.

stasisLAX

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 8):
ASUS, MSi and the higher end Toshibas are my top picks.

I have a mid-range Toshiba Satellite L655S laptop that replaced an old company issued POS Dell Latitude laptop.

I've had the Toshiba about 6 weeks and have been extremely pleased with it. It got 4.25 stars and has an 85 percent "recommend to a friend" response. Got a great deal on mine at Staples.com on sale. Really enjoy the user experience - nice full sized keyboard, decent battery life, and decent sized screen with good (but not great) graphics.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Springbok747

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:53 pm

My only advice is to stay away (far, far, far away) from Dell.

I've had Dell computers for almost 12 years now..no issues with any of the machines I've owned (I think we've bought about 6 laptops and 2 desktops in that time). My old Inspiron 700m is 8 years old and still going strong..not one issue with it. Same with my Alienware..have had it for about 2 years now, no issues..either hardware or software wise...love Win 7..(way way better than the crap that was Vista). I'll probably buy another Alienware/higher end Dell when its time to replace my current laptop.
אני תומך בישראל

n229nw

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 am

And I have had great luck with Dells.

I am typing this on a 7-year-old Dell laptop that I abuse daily. Granted, I've replaced a lot of failed parts as it got old (esp power supplies and hinges), and upgraded others (bigger hard drive, more memory, etc.), but the great thing about Dell business machines is that the parts are plentifully available and super-cheap (on ebay, etc.).

While the machine was under warranty, Dell service was amazing by the way. My wife fried the motherboard with a cup of tea and they showed up the next day at our door and replaced it for free. And the other time they came was great too.

I guess every company will have people who have had good and bad experiences, but I've had several Dell machines at work and at home, and they have done better than the Sony's, Averatecs, and other brands that have come through our household. Had good luck with Toshibas too...

If I don't get another Dell when the time comes to replace this, I would probably go with Asus, Samsung, or Toshiba.

Anyway, I'd follow Fly2HMO's Newegg advice.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Geezer

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:22 am

What I'm about to say will no doubt start a big "bru-haha" on here, but I'll say it anyway;

To me, I like to get "the best deal"; not just price, but also "terms". My fiance' ( Miss Arlie ) is an avid fan of QVC; never in a million tears would I have thought to look on QVC for a computer. But 3 days ago, I did just that; reason being, we wanted to get a "not cheap", but "not high end" laptop; she mentioned that QVC had "this deal"..........2, 3. 5, and some 6 no interest payments..........same as $$$$$$$.

So I looked.......and looked, and looked; Dells, HP's, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo, ( and a few I never heard of ) all in all, must have been 500 listed. I started a thread to ask about some CPU nomenclature, got some very good info, ( thank you again Klaus, plus a few more ) ( see thread about CPU's )

I ended up ordering a Dell; 17 inch, 6 GB Ram, 650 GB HD, i5 CPU, 4 yrs of McAfee AV, PS Elements 9, few more things I forget just now, (Oh, and free shipping) PLUS.............5 equal (no int pmts) of $202 (and that includes the tax)

People think they "hate" QVC because the sell "girlie stuff"........yeah, they do; but who gives a rat's butt ? not me !
I'm only interested in what I'm interested in; this week it was a laptop; they have 'em ! Their deal was good; so I bought one.

I buy a lot of camera stuff; some from B&H in NYC; lately, I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon; almost always get free shipping. Always a good price. In the past, I bought a lot on eBay; still do some, but eBay has changed a lot; not like it used to be.

In the end..........I do a LOT of research, I ask a lot of questions, I look all over at prices, and I've found out who you can trust and who you can't. ( You can trust QVC )

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 am

Haha thank you everyone for the advice. Sorry I caused a big argument / ruckus!

Klaus, although I'm more of a Windows user, I also had my iPod in the suitcase so that link really helps me on the iPod front. It is interesting to see the opinions on Dell, I've heard both good things and bad things about them (split opinions, just like on the forums.) I never gave Toshiba much thought but many here have recommended them. Also, I have never even heard of some of these brands getting good recommendations.

It must have been my destiny to lose that bag. I've only checked luggage 2 or 3 times in my life (all gate checked) and the odds of a lost bag being lost for good are very very low, so it's just one of those things in life.... My iPod is gone, my computer, my really good suitcase, half my clothes, my camera, a bunch of irreplaceable photos (probably my biggest loss,) my car was totalled the other day. At least I got my Navy OCS and flight school date last week, gotta stay positive!

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 19):

I've had Dell computers for almost 12 years now..no issues with any of the machines I've owned (I think we've bought about 6 laptops and 2 desktops in that time). My old Inspiron 700m is 8 years old and still going strong..not one issue with it. Same with my Alienware..have had it for about 2 years now, no issues..either hardware or software wise...love Win 7..(way way better than the crap that was Vista). I'll probably buy another Alienware/higher end Dell when its time to replace my current laptop.
Quoting n229nw (Reply 20):

I guess every company will have people who have had good and bad experiences,

This is true however I've noticed those that have never had problems with dells are people that actually know about computers. My first computer in college was a Dell as well and had no problems (then again I do build computers after all), but for some reason and I can't put my finger on why, Dells and most other big box names just don't seem to take the abuse of the computer illiterate as well as other brands for whatever reason.

Quoting Geezer (Reply 21):
4 yrs of McAfee AV

Ditch it. Mcafee blows. Speaking from experience.

Get Avast. And ZoneAlarm. And Malwarebytes. Never have had problems using that combination even when purposely downloading shady files from shady places.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 am

I've got a Toshiba Satellite A665 that I've had for over a year, and it has been absolutely bulletproof so far - fast, great graphics, and for the CPU (i7) the battery life of about 90 minutes is decent.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend any of the Toshiba Satellite series.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Nimish

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 am

I've been using a Lenovo X220 for about a month now and absolutely love it - it's really small light and powerful!
Incredible India!

Rara

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Obviously this is all anecdotal evidence anyway, so I can as well join in:

I've always made good experiences with Asus. Bad experiences with Dell and (especially) Acer.

That being said, I don't own a laptop anymore, and I don't think about buying one. Nowadays, at least for me, the combination of a desktop computer (unrivalled for comfort, stability and durability) and a smartphone works much better. If anything, I'd probably add a tablet to the mix. All this assuming, of course, that a laptop for work can be obtained from the company for presentations etc. In many years of using a laptop, I've always found it an unsatisfactory compromise between usability and portabity...
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

flanker

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:54 pm

You should check out Newegg.com

When I build computers or order stuff, its always from there. My next laptop, which I mainly use for gaming will be from there.

Great website!!!!

geekydude

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm

ASUS seems to have garnered a good reputation recently. Personally I have been using Lenovo Thinkpad T-series laptops for years and they have never failed me in the slightest. They are not necessarily more expensive than other premium lines, especially so during periodic promotion campaigns in the US.

Check out the reliability survey ratings below.

http://smidgenpc.com/2010/05/07/lapt...ch-laptop-is-really-most-reliable/
FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Quoting geekydude (Reply 24):
Personally I have been using Lenovo Thinkpad T-series laptops for years and they have never failed me in the slightest.

I always forget Lenovo, but yes they are damn good too. I was worried that Lenovo would cheapen up IBM's bulletproof Thinkpads when they took over production but alas quality is as good as ever, if not better.

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice, but they found my bag! Thank you DL bag staff! 

Klaus

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 24):
Thanks for all the advice, but they found my bag!

Excellent! Congratulations!