Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSA53
Topic Author

Major Power Outage In SoCal

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:45 am

I'm surprised that no one hasn't post this.

At 3: 38 pm PST,a major disruption of power like ones seen out NY has happen to San Diego County,Southern OC,portions of Riverside County into AZ and New Mexico and Baja Mexico.It was not caused by San Onofre Nuclear plant.But it did shut down or come off line.Experts say no suspicion of terrorism and has been ruled out.My sister is without power as I had called her.This is going to be a great inconvenience to many as most on TV/radio are saying that power will not be restored until Friday.I wonder if this has disrupted cellular service in the effected areas since none of our A.Net friends have not responded.

BTW-That means SAN missed POTUS speech. I hope everyone gets by ok.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

HOMER71

RE: Major Power Outage In SoCal

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 am

Yep, trying to get a hold of my folks in Oceanside

Nice timing on the power outage, the one time of year where temps are approaching the 90s in SAN...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

ltbewr

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:12 am

Quoting homer71 (Reply 1):
Yep, trying to get a hold of my folks in Oceanside

Nice timing on the power outage, the one time of year where temps are approaching the 90s in SAN...

That may be a factor that triggered this outage, due to heavier than normal demand in the region for air conditioning.

Apparently it made a mess of 'rush hour' traffic. Below is another news link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44446563...san-diego-hit-major-power-failure/

joffie

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:14 am

Quoting PSA53 (Thread starter):
m surprised that no one hasn't post this.

Maybe they cant post cause their power is out   

oldman55

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:27 am

Quoting joffie (Reply 3):
m surprised that no one hasn't post this.

Maybe they cant post cause their power is out

A lot of people in the South and East are out of power+ up to their keisters in floodwaters........soo some people in CA having to sweat a little bit is no Big Deal :P.
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart

Okie

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 am

.It was not caused by San Onofre Nuclear plant.But it did shut down or come off line.

I just do not get the paranoia about the Nuclear power plants, maybe because we do not have one close.
I mean if a squirrel shorts out a transformer on elm street and disrupts power to three houses the headline is that it was not caused by the nuclear power plant.

Apparently SAN airport is shut down due only having emergency power and no way to operate jetbridges or TSA equipment.

.I wonder if this has disrupted cellular service in the effected areas since none of our A.Net friends have not responded.

Most cell towers have a back up power system, the only problem is if they have large enough fuel tanks to operate for extended periods of time. I suspect they only meet some minimum standard, I would hope that would be 24hrs. You just have to rely on your automobile charger for your cell phone. Land lines should be good, however I do not know many people who have a directly connected telephone anymore, most have a recorder/telephone system that plugs into the wall.

Okie

Silver1SWA

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:04 am

I'm in Vegas tonight...not sure I'll be able to fly back to SAN tomorrow. We just reserved a car just in case.

I have had a hard time reaching friends and family due to phone disruption. From what I hear traffic all over is at a stand still. My brothers car is in the shop stuck on the lift. My other brother has no gas and can't fill up...so they are stuck and hungry with few food options. Crazy stuff. Glad I'm not working since SAN shut down, but now I have to figure out how im getting home.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dragon-wings

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:21 am

According to CNN the power went out because a high-voltage power line between Arizona and California was tripped out of service.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/08/cal...power.outages/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Starbuk7

Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:47 pm

I got power back at 1:30 in the morning in the Miramar section of San Diego. At that time still had no cable or internet service. Got about 3 hours of sleep before coming to wirk this morning. Would still rather have the power outage than the floods, hurricanes and tornados.