Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp
Topic Author

Should I Be Embarassed?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:42 am

My GF and I got fired from being church ushers today!...the Elders of our church basically told us we are too stern and uncompromising and that should try something else. All this came about because there was an incident last week where a lady attacked me with a tambourine because I wouldn't let her make change in the collection plate and my GF ending up punching her lights out in the middle of service like she was my little Manny Pacquio (god I love her). I have never been fired from anything in my life...should I be embarassed by this outcome? I am a little.

zrs70

RE: Should I Be Embarassed?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:13 am

Let me make sure I understand...

Your girlfriend, while ushering in the church, punched a worshipper in self defense (because she was being attacked with a tambourine).

Did I get it right?

Yes, you should be embarrassed, and yes, you should be fired.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

tz757300

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 am

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 1):

That is all.

BAViscount

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:17 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Thread starter):
All this came about because there was an incident last week where a lady attacked me with a tambourine because I wouldn't let her make change in the collection plate and my GF ending up punching her lights out in the middle of service like she was my little Manny Pacquio (god I love her).

In light of the evidence presented, yes, you should indeed be very embarrassed...shame on you and your girlfriend.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:22 am

My GF and I got fired from being church ushers today!...the Elders of our church basically told us we are too stern and uncompromising and that should try something else. All this came about because there was an incident last week where a lady attacked me with a tambourine because I wouldn't let her make change in the collection plate and my GF ending up punching her lights out in the middle of service like she was my little Manny Pacquio (god I love her). I have never been fired from anything in my life...should I be embarassed by this outcome? I am a little.

You should be embarrassed for even thinking about starting a thread asking others to make up their minds for YOU whether YOU should be embarrassed   

mal787

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 am

...should I be embarassed by this outcome? I am a little

To right you should be, what guys lets his girl have a fight for him ??
OMG hope they dont make Tamborines weapons of mass distruction, I will never feel safe around the salvo's again
mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

Cadet57

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:38 am

Ah a.net the more things change, the more they stay the same. You can't even make this crap up!
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Gatorman96

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 am

should I be embarassed by this outcome? I am a little

Absolutely not! That hag got what was coming to her...

BAViscount

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 am

Quoting mal787 (Reply 5):
To right you should be, what guys lets his girl have a fight for him ??

That aside, not letting the woman "make change in the collection plate" is unforgiveable to start with. I understand that you didn't go into the detail of what happened there, but I'm guessing that she was only prepared to donate a certain amount but didn't have enough change to be able to donate that amount. A little understanding is all it takes to diffuse such a situation.

I'm hoping that this thread isn't a wind-up...the more I think about it, the more it seems that it is.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

JBirdAV8r

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 am

whiskey tango foxtrot......................?
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

tz757300

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 am

From the other thread, these are more of a better reaction...

concluding with

flymia

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:48 am

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 1):

Your girlfriend, while ushering in the church, punched a worshipper in self defense (because she was being attacked with a tambourine).

Did I get it right?

where a lady attacked me with

Well in defense he was attacked by a lady so probably better that the girl took care of it. Never hit a lady unless you really feel likes its a threat and a lady with a tambourine should not be a threat IMO. Man this is too funny.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:53 am

I don't know whether to laugh or... screw it, hahahahahahaha man that's messed up. Shame on you and your girlfriend! Something doesn't quite add up with the tambourine attack.... Regardless, thanks for the laugh!

Quokka

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 am

and my GF ending up punching her lights out in the middle of service

This thread is useless without the You Tube video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcMBjiILTRk

usflyer msp
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:32 am

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 1):

Did I get it right?

I was the one being attacked with the tambourine. My girlfriend was ushering on the other aisle and after she saw all the commotion jumped over some pews like Wonder Woman and saved me because she knows I would never hit a Woman.

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 8):
That aside, not letting the woman "make change in the collection plate" is unforgiveable to start with. I understand that you didn't go into the detail of what happened there, but I'm guessing that she was only prepared to donate a certain amount but didn't have enough change to be able to donate that amount. A little understanding is all it takes to diffuse such a situation.

The problem wasn't that she was making change...the problem was that she was taking too long doing it and inspecting almost every bill. I was only halfway down my aisle when everyone else was already done because of her. I gave her the opportunity to save her money and take care of the change after service was over but she didn't like that answer and basically accused me over talking down to her.

BMI727

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 am

Exactly what part of that story wouldn't be embarrassing?

All this came about because there was an incident last week where a lady attacked me with a tambourine because I wouldn't let her make change in the collection plate and my GF ending up punching her lights out in the middle of service like she was my little Manny Pacquio (god I love her).

...and that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 14):
My girlfriend was ushering on the other aisle and after she saw all the commotion jumped over some pews like Wonder Woman and saved me ....

hOMSaR

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:51 am

Quoting mal787 (Reply 5):
OMG hope they dont make Tamborines weapons of mass distruction

I hear the TSA is now banning tambourines from all carry-on baggage.

Quoting Quokka (Reply 13):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcMBj...ILTRk

Priceless!
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

BAViscount

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:55 am

The problem wasn't that she was making change...the problem was that she was taking too long doing it and inspecting almost every bill. I was only halfway down my aisle when everyone else was already done because of her. I gave her the opportunity to save her money and take care of the change after service was over but she didn't like that answer and basically accused me over talking down to her

I'm not generally a religious person, but if I was, I'm sure I'd want to be able to go about my business in church without worrying about whether I might be smacked upside my head by your "Wonder Womanesque" girlfriend for taking my time and being cautious.

FighterPilot

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:56 am

Ahhhhh Religion...

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

OA412

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:57 am

This thread has got to be a joke. I just don't see this actually happening, anywhere, anytime, ever.

I was the one being attacked with the tambourine. My girlfriend was ushering on the other aisle and after she saw all the commotion jumped over some pews like Wonder Woman and saved me because she knows I would never hit a Woman.

I mean, really, I have a hard time with this. If this really happened, you're girlfriend has some serious anger management issues.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 4):
You should be embarrassed for even thinking about starting a thread asking others to make up their minds for YOU whether YOU should be embarrassed

In the event that this story is true, this is the correct response!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:11 am

Both of you guys are not fit to be ushers to begin with. You and your GF should have handled the situation in a better way and of course the lady was out of line but that doesn't give your GF the licence to punch her and she being an usher makes it even worse.

usflyer msp
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:12 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 18):

I'm not generally a religious person, but if I was, I'm sure I'd want to be able to go about my business in church without worrying about whether I might be smacked upside my head by your "Wonder Womanesque" girlfriend for taking my time and being cautious.

Write a check or have your money counted out ahead of time and there wont be any problems.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 20):
I mean, really, I have a hard time with this. If this really happened, you're girlfriend has some serious anger management issues.

She does NOT have anger management issues. She is actually quite gentle and sweet. She looks out for me just like I look out for her. I would have done the same the same thing if a guy was attacking her. She would have pepper sprayed the woman but she didn't have any with her last Sunday.

Mir

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:49 am

Should I Be Embarassed?

Hardly. In fact, you should be proud of the extra publicity that you've given your church. Think of how many new people are going to want to attend the services now that they have tambourine attacks, punching and Wonder Woman-esque ushers to distract them from the more mundane proceedings.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 15):
...and that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

Sorry, just have to ask...YOU listen to NPR?   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BMI727

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Sorry, just have to ask...YOU listen to NPR?

No, CDs and books, plus I saw Garrison Keillor live once or twice. Most of his Lake Wobegon stories could have come out of my childhood. Pontoon Boat is especially good.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Airstud

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:30 am

IIRC, this same poster eats at the Popeye's on Lake Street after church where he receives homosexual overtures from the cashier. I haven't fully stitched this together with him needing WonderWoman to protect him from the evil Queen of Tambourine, but by no means am I ruling out a connection.
Pancakes are delicious.

Doona

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 25):
but by no means am I ruling out a connection.

I'm thinking we might be looking at a "Narrator/Tyler Durden"-type situation, ie. Mr. Tambourine Man and Wonder Woman being one and the same person.

Also, this would make for a nice spectacle at the Popeye's afterwards, no doubt prompting the cashier to show concern for the poor gentleman, which is then interpreted as an advance.

You've just been Sherlocked. You're welcome.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 am

I wouldn't let her make change in the collection plate and my GF ending up punching her lights out in the middle of service

Didn't you know that churches are supposed to be peaceful places? Gosh, I could imagine every single pair of eyes in the place were on the squirmish, which is what it sounded like.  Wow!  Wow! I can visualize all the jaws dropping at once! Your girlfriend should be ashamed of herself.

Now you probably should consider switching congregations because even a year from now people will look at your GF and think "Oooh, there's that girl who started that fight during the service!" even though she may not started it, she DID throw the first punch according to your story.

Quoting Doona (Reply 26):

I'm thinking we might be looking at a "Narrator/Tyler Durden"-type situation, ie. Mr. Tambourine Man and Wonder Woman being one and the same person.

This is one of the funniest comments I have seen here on a.net just because it's so true!   

[Edited 2011-09-11 23:36:53]

[Edited 2011-09-11 23:39:06]
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Rara

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:10 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 22):
She would have pepper sprayed the woman but she didn't have any with her last Sunday.

That's the spirit! Pepper-spray those tambourine fiends! The tambourine is generally underestimated as an attack weapon, compared to other musical instruments such as the trumpet (Jericho!) or the baseball bat.

Anyway, nice trolling.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

CanadianDC10

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 am

Why wouldn't you let her make change out of your collection plate? That's ridiculous. And your gf punched a lady in the face? What is wrong with her? Yes, be very humiliated and you both deserved to be fired.

Doona

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:36 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 28):
The tambourine is generally underestimated as an attack weapon, compared to other musical instruments such as the trumpet (Jericho!)

As I understand it, they first tried it with tambourines. However, the Tambourines of Jericho were deemed less effective than trumpets...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Kiwirob

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 am

She does NOT have anger management issues.

For a woman who

jumped over some pews like Wonder Woman

And assaulted someone sure sounds like she has a problem.

Someone should submit this to The Onion.

travelavnut

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:49 am

Am I the only one smelling a troll here?!

I mean, this can't be serious right? lol

[Edited 2011-09-12 03:50:41]
Live From Amsterdam!

poz2brs

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:04 am

.should I be embarassed by this outcome?

That depends. Did your girlfriend pop-out a solid left jab before launching a right handed haymaker to despatch the tambourine-wielding fiend? If not, then yes I would be fairly embarrassed. Back to the gym for her!

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 32):

Forum dead? Site activity down? Why not activate some dusty old accounts and post nonsense threads to get the participation levels up again....
I'm finding it hard to believe, I'm in Devon.

travelavnut

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:17 am

Quoting poz2brs (Reply 33):

Forum dead? Site activity down? Why not activate some dusty old accounts and post nonsense threads to get the participation levels up again....

Aawww a forum-conspiracy  
Live From Amsterdam!

seb146

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 pm

If you have to ask if you should be embarassed, then you should be embarassed.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:07 pm

should I be embarassed by this outcome? I am a little.

You should be.

You and your girlfriend should listen to more of the new testament instead of operating from the old testament.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Revelation

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 8):
That aside, not letting the woman "make change in the collection plate" is unforgiveable to start with. I understand that you didn't go into the detail of what happened there, but I'm guessing that she was only prepared to donate a certain amount but didn't have enough change to be able to donate that amount.

Having ushered in a church before, it's not unheard of to have people take more from a plate than they put in. You don't have to be too deft of hand to do it. That's why many churhes have gone to using collection bags instead of plates, because it's hard to root around in there without being noticed. Also it gives the congregants a bit of privacy: the next person doesn't get to see exactly what you put into the plate. OTOH some churches that are into guilt might want the next person to see!

Also was an usher at a church where one of the worshipers stole the entire proceeds. Thankfully I wasn't there that day. Now the church does things in a lot more secure fashion.

My girlfriend was ushering on the other aisle and after she saw all the commotion jumped over some pews like Wonder Woman and saved me because she knows I would never hit a Woman.

She just gave that woman a chance to turn the other cheek!

She would have pepper sprayed the woman but she didn't have any with her last Sunday.

Silly girl - everyone knows to make sure they're packing pepper spray before they head out to church!

Quoting Quokka (Reply 13):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcMBj...ILTRk

LOL! Almost as good as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

zrs70

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 36):
You and your girlfriend should listen to more of the new testament instead of operating from the old testament.

Is it possible to disagree both with the OP as well as a poster who also disagrees with the OP?

Are you saying that those who embrace the original scripture but not the new testament are more apt to engage in foolish behavior?

vikkyvik

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 20):
This thread has got to be a joke. I just don't see this actually happening, anywhere, anytime, ever.

I mean, this can't be serious right? lol

With all that said, I have one (ok, two....well actually, three) questions:

1.) Who carries a tambourine to church?
2.) Who attacks someone with said tambourine?
5.) How, exactly, does one attack someone with a tambourine? It would not be my weapon of choice for causing harm.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

casinterest

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 39):
Are you saying that those who embrace the original scripture but not the new testament are more apt to engage in foolish behavior?

I made no such statement or claim. Just an observation about the poster and his girlfriends actions. Not sure where you are making such a false logic jump unless you believe your own statement.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

zrs70

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 41):
I made no such statement or claim. Just an observation about the poster and his girlfriends actions. Not sure where you are making such a false logic jump unless you believe your own statement.

Thanks for the response! What, then, does it mean to "operate from the Old Testament"?

casinterest

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 42):
Thanks for the response! What, then, does it mean to "operate from the Old Testament"?

Eye for an Eye and brute force/ God's wrath vs peace love and understanding of the new testament.

My real poins is that OP and his GF haven't paid enough attention to the message of their church. Therefore it might be better for them to sit amongst the faithful, than usher , and have their attention diverted from the "message"

zrs70

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 43):
Eye for an Eye and brute force/ God's wrath vs peace love and understanding of the new testament.

Ah, ok! New Testament = peace. Old Testament = wrath.

While I disagree with this, at least I have clarity with what you are saying.

casinterest

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 44):
Ah, ok! New Testament = peace. Old Testament = wrath.

While I disagree with this, at least I have clarity with what you are saying.

It is by far a oversimplification, and not necessarily the way the stories are layed out, but I was just trying to make a simple point.

lewis

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm

This thread cannot be serious! You and your girlfriend are ushers (meaning you must have some interest in God, religion, whatever) and you act that way? A great example of "religious" people whose actual actions have nothing to do with church and its teachings - exactly like the video with the stupid monks that someone else posted. You should be more than ashamed for those actions and yes, you definitely should be fired, as ushers you are part of the church and you are representing the church. Even if someone in church acts violently, you should not drop down to their level.

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 42):

Probably the "eye for an eye" vs "turn the other cheek" of the New Testament.

KFLLCFII

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:37 pm

This thread is worthless without pics.

(The girlfriend, of course, not the Tambourine Lady.)
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Moose135

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:01 pm

My girlfriend was ushering on the other aisle and after she saw all the commotion jumped over some pews like Wonder Woman and saved me because she knows I would never hit a Woman.

You should buy your girlfriend a snowglobe to thank her for protecting you from the Tambourine Lady.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Airstud

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 43):
force/ God's wrath vs peace love and understanding of the new testament

The New Testament of course contains Revelation 20:15, in which people are cast into a lake of fire.

How peaceful and loving.
Pancakes are delicious.