Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Are You Living Your Dream?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 am

What did you dream of doing as a kid? Are you doing it now?
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

FingerLakerAv8r

RE: Are You Living Your Dream?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:37 am

As a kid I wanted to be something different every week. Am I doing it now? Nope. Am I upset/saddened by it? Nope! Love my career and don't plan on leaving it!

aloges

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 am

At the moment, I am.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

wilco737

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:46 am

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):

I must say, at the moment all is near perfect. I am engaged to the perfect woman... I have the job I always wanted, flying the airplane I always wanted. I am healthy... So what else do I need?!

At the moment I can say: I live my dream.

wilco737

GQfluffy

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:50 am

I live across the street from the beach, just got married, but am unemployed (besides free-lance), so in a way, two out of three ain't bad. I refuse to quit unlike so many other people in my country, though.
This isn't where I parked my car...

YVRLTN

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:50 am

Yes. Is it what I expected it would be? No... but it is interesting and it more than pays the bills.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:53 am

Hmmmm... while I did reach my life long goal off being a pilot it has been a very rough road to get there. I only got my first pilot job little over a month ago, that is 3 years AFTER I graduated college mind you, which I would categorize as the worst years of my life for many reasons. Now I have a CFI job that pays peanuts and provides me with some extremely handicapped students, but it's a mean to end till something better comes along. Could be worse I guess, but I'm still far away from being overly happy about it.

[Edited 2011-09-12 21:54:11]

texan

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 am

According to my parents, my original goal was to become a garbageman. I am not a garbageman. So that's a no in the literal since of my first dream job.

But I'm pretty much living a dream. Great, exciting job in a place I've always wanted to see doing something I've wanted to do since I was about 8.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Springbok747

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 am

Yeah..pretty much.

I wanted to learn to fly..did that (have my PPL). Also wanted to be a doctor...doing that (will get there in about a year or so). Its been a long, hard road, but things are good now.
אני תומך בישראל

RJLover

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:06 am

The dream that I had as a young kid? Probably not, I honestly don't remember. Do I have an awesome life now, anyway? Absolutely! The only thing I'm missing is a good woman.....

Superfly

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 am

When I was a kid, my dream job was to be a pilot for American Airlines 747-100.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

Those dreams were shattered when American retired their 747s in 1984.
I do have the car I wanted since I was a kid.

Things, interests, desired change as you get older. I love the work I do and the city I live in. I am so happy to be single and have no children at the moment. Some many women to choose from.
I am so glad that I am not with the girl I had a crush on as a kid. Today she is big as a house and is still bossy!   
I still want to get a white 3-piece polyester suit with bell-bottoms but I need to wait for that to come back in style before I start wearing it.

I still want to own a large, ranch style Eichler home or Frank Lloyd Wright styled home in northern California, Minnesota or Wisconsin. I'd never buy such a house here in Thailand due to floods and snakes. I do plan on owning a modest size condo here in Bangkok within a few years.
Bring back the Concorde

thomil13FRA

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:56 am

As a kid I dreamt about becoming a pilot, and that still hasn't changed. Did I become one? No, for various reasons.

That being said, I'm more than happy with what I've reached so far. Ten years ago I was unemployed, a high school dropout (the German/Austrian counterpart, anyway) without any job experience and chances of ever getting a paying job.
Now, I'm working for a global logistics company in their IT Helpdesk as assistant supervisor, earn a decent salary (not as much as I'd like, though   ) and have enough money on the side to afford some little luxuries on the side. What's more, I earned everything I own today, as well as every promotion, transfer and payraise, and that always gives me a reason for a satisfied smile.

The last ten years were an interesting rollercoaster ride. I wonder where the next ten years will take me.

Cadet985

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 am

No way. I've been through so much @#$% in the past few years that the only way my life could be considered a dream, would be if we were talking about nightmares.

Airstud

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:21 am

Siiiigh... When I was four years old I started banging out tunes on the piano. They were "actually quite melodic," my mother reported (yeah yeah yeah, what's the kid's mother GOING to say; but the truth is that she actually proved over the years to be a very selfish and mean-spirited person, in addition to sometimes just being unparentally frank about my shortcomings). I couldn't sit still for piano lessons (I wasn't a Mozart, churning out symphonies at age 5, but I sure was doing cooler stuff than the Twinkle Twinkle and Hot Cross Buns they demanded of me).

Our dad indoctrinated sis and me on the cast recording of A Chorus Line, and even took us to New York to see the show on Broadway. I enjoyed it if only for the same reason any boy enjoys something his dad actually makes time to share with him, but man was I encouraged when I found out that the composer, Marvin Hamlisch was Jewish (obviously this was before it became apparent to me that every Broadway score under the sun was written by Jews   ). It isn't every day a Jewish kid in rural Massachusetts gets to see his Jewishness as a source of inclusivity!!

I wasn't allowed to use the piano after bailing on lessons after the enforced one-year minimum, but after Sis went away to college I had the house to myself in the afternoons (and most evenings to, when Mom was out at AA meetings ), so I spent every possible waking moment composing new tunes.

My fantasy would be to see my name after "Music by" on a Broadway marquee or program. My dream (assuming that the difference between one's dream and fantasy is that the dream is attainable) would just be to write an excellent score. I don't control what shows get produced on the Great White Way, but I do control whether I write any music or not. Problem is I'm not doing that (ain't got a piano; might be part of the problem).

I'm working as a mainframe/IT ops analyst for a big-ass bank - with no regrets; it's an honest day's work and the pay is nice. I just need to pay off a couple of steep debts and then...start piano lessons (at age 39 - life seems silly sometimes. But Monty Python is silly, and it's also a blast).
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:45 am

OK so that was TMI, but now it's too late to edit the post.  
Pancakes are delicious.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 am

Quoting texan (Reply 7):
I am not a garbageman

I am...kind of  

My childhood dream was to be a chef or a truck driver, and I have done both. So in a way I have fullfilled my childhood dreams.

Today I'm developing new solutions for waste handling, IT strategy in the municipailty and audit ISO 9000 and 14000 systems. None of those 3 are likely dream job candidates for kids of today  

Wife, 3 beautiful kids and a good hobby is what makes me feel like I'm living my dream anyway!
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

mandala499

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 am

Quoting thomil13FRA (Reply 11):
As a kid I dreamt about becoming a pilot, and that still hasn't changed. Did I become one? No, for various reasons.

Didn't become a pilot (childhood dream), but my work is related to aviation, which is a lot more than just pilots... but I still enjoy a good read on aircraft FCOMs and performance manuals, and pilots of various experience ask me for help when their checkrides or reviews come up... I read the books, they do the flying..   

So, working related to aviation, not having to commute 9-5 everyday (Jakarta is a nightmare for it), I can enjoy my life better than a lot of the pilots and still not throw the passion away...

I am living a different dream from my childhood dream...
Don't get fixated on a dream, but adapt your dream as you go along, and don't give up doing whatever you like doing (which isn't always the same as the original dream itself).

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Exactly.......Fixing Aircraft......Although it was different when I was a small boy..........But similiar in a certain way too  
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

CXfirst

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Very happy at the moment. Studying engineering at university, but am starting flight lessons, and hope to get commercial licence eventually, and become an airline pilot, which is my dream (have just last week been promised the cash to do it from parents as a loan, which was the problem before).

Getting aviation medical next week, and then we'll see!

-CXfirst

poz2brs

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 pm

I always wanted to be a comedian. Fortunately I realised that this possibly wasn't the best career option and earned a degree in something far more useful. For a while I did work as one of the house entertainers at a club in Vancouver, and I do a stand up routine utilising Polish stereotypes in the UK which I perform perhaps twice a month, so I guess you could say that I live my dream sometimes, and work a not unpleasant job for the rest of the time.
I'm finding it hard to believe, I'm in Devon.

CplKlinger

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Even now I can't pursue my ultimate dream (kinda hard to be a shuttle pilot when NASA discontinues the shuttle program...), but I'm not upset about it. I own my own home, have a beautiful and smart wife (seriously, 4.0 student) and a beautiful daughter who's showing an interest in her dad's silly hobby. I even recently accepted a position in the same line of work (retail) with another company that should prove to be an awesome move for all of us. I'd say all in all, things have turned out just fine.

DeltaMD90

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Wanted to be a pilot and have a great wife. Now, I'm scheduled for Navy flight school next year and have a great girlfriend of 2.5 years. So my prospects are looking pretty good! 

Gemuser

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:45 pm

No because it's still g=1, not g=.2! Damn it!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

AGM100

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 pm

Dreams ? Nah life for me has been survival. A constant uphill fight from living poor to providing for my family. Working all the time , pushing shoving and making the jack. Feed kids , keep em safe , pay ex wife and taxes stay out of jail ... die. That's it boys ! . Dreams ....   
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

steeler83

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Yeah...

I'm living my NIGHTMARE!

My nightmare is that I'd be stuck in a depression-causing dead-end job even with all the education I have. Yep, I'm doing just that.

This weekend I get to have fun with alzheimers residents...

When am I going to wake up?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Superfly

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 23):
Dreams ? Nah life for me has been survival. A constant uphill fight from living poor to providing for my family. Working all the time , pushing shoving and making the jack. Feed kids , keep em safe , pay ex wife and taxes stay out of jail ... die. That's it boys ! . Dreams ....

...and that is why I stay single and refuse to get married. It's a lose, lose situation.... at least in the US/EU/AS/OZ....I'm sure you get my point...
Bring back the Concorde

lhr380

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Yes!

I work at the worlds 3rd busiest airport for an airline that is in the top 10 biggest airlines list, so yea, Im living my dream.
It has good days and bad days, but what job does not.
Was actually talking about it to work mates today when they asked why I liked my job so much. Im known as a geek and people come to me for plane questions all the time, and info on carriers in the same alliance. I like it  
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

AGM100

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
...and that is why I stay single and refuse to get married. It's a lose, lose situation.... at least in the US/EU/AS/OZ....I'm sure you get my point...

Super ... you missed your calling . Psych therapist ... or counseling ! I feel allot better thanks ! 

I guess I have just out grown my dreams ... I guess I forgot them somewhere.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Got2fly

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 am

I am extremely lucky to be living my dream. Currently a First Officer for a very orange UK airline at the base of my choice. Sometimes I still can't believe it!

I had always wanted to be a pilot after my first flight as a 9 year old and visiting the flight deck. It took a while, lots of hard work, determination and lots of bank loans but I can certainly say I'm living the dream! ( with the exception of the loan repayments lol).

EGGD

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 am

I'm living my dream also. It may be tragically cut short within the next two months but I am not worried. The permanent contract will be the cherry on the icing on the cake.

jessbp

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 am

Am I living my dream? Kind of.

I wanted to be a pilot when I was growing up, but I failed my medical with the caa so that put pay to even my ppl. Add in a few years of depression thanks to bipolar disorder and my 20's was not fun. However, I'm married to great person, and a career change in my early 30's has left me feeling quite happy. I work as a freelance writer and just this year I got a job working for a flight sim magazine, so I get paid to fly virtually and write about it. So I got my dream in a roundabout way. And life couldn't be better.

WildcatYXU

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:57 pm

While I don't really remember what work I was dreaming about as a kid, I'm definitely not doing it. As a kid in post 1968 communist Czechoslovakia I wouldn't even dream about living in a different country on a different continent and working for the largest brewing company of the world. And I definitely didn't know what gas chromatography is 

One childhood dream did come true though: I always dreamed about having a pool in the backyard (unheard of in Czechoslovakia at the time). Now I have one.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

GBLKD

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 am

Quoting thomil13FRA (Reply 11):

Likewise.

At the moment I'm not living a work dream. At home I have my wife and son who are everything to me so from that point of view I'm living the dream, I couldn't and wouldn't be without them.

However, work wise I'm not happy. I drive a coach for a living here in Britain and have been in the public transport industry for 21 years now. It's just something I fell into, I was an out of work 18 year old with a driving licence and saw an ad for bus drivers with full training provided. Seemed like a great stop gap and 21 years later here I still am.

I turned 40 this year and I suppose I had a bit of a mid life crisis. The job pays badly and dealing with the public is bloody hard work. I'm not natrually a "people person" and prefer my own space and thoughts. Let's not even go into the daily ritual of cleaning up the mess they leave behind them.

So I realised that I like driving large vehicles, money, and peace and quiet.

I'm now in the process of taking my class 1 HGV licence. The pay is infinately better, and no dealing with the public.

I have a new goal in life now:

I'm aiming for either Stobart's or the supermarket chain with yellow units and a big letter M on the back of the trailer.

The career change will give me the income I need to pursue my other goals which are take my wife and son to visit my relatives in Canada, restore my 1969 Beetle to factory condition, and join my local gliding club. Those are all things I'll never be able to afford to do in my current profession.

Theory exams on tues 20th sept, failure is not an option.

AirPacific747

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 am

Well I am working on my A320 type-rating at the moment.. it's a nice aircraft, but I still don't have a job, and I don't live in the area where i would like to live because I have to save money at the moment.. so working on getting there, but still far away.. everything is very uncertain unfortunately.

san747

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Quoting jessbp (Reply 30):

I wanted to be a pilot when I was growing up, but I failed my medical with the caa so that put pay to even my ppl. Add in a few years of depression thanks to bipolar disorder and my 20's was not fun.

Your story is pretty similar to mine, but for minor details. I wanted to be a pilot as well, but I failed my FAA physical required for enrolling into the ERAU pilot program due to colorblindness, which meant I could never fly for an airline. I was devastated. While I have a family history of depression and probably always had it in my youth, that particular incident was the catalyst for my first major depressive episode.

With no direction (at the time), I half-heartedly started at the local community college, only to drop out 2 semesters later and work full-time. When that didn't work out, I moved (for the 2nd time in 1.5 years) out to NY to be with relatives and this time attend a 4-year school. That fall (2008), I had another major depressive episode and left THAT school to return to CA.

I finally had an epiphany sometime early in 2009 and realized I wanted to be a therapist/counselor. It's the perfect thing to do with my life- I'm empathetic, kind, forgiving, and always willing to listen and have a genuine desire to help others. So since then, I have worked hard (but still struggled) toward that goal, and in 4 months, I should be returning to a university to complete the final 2 years of my Bachelor's (and beyond).

So long story short, no. But I'm making a new dream for myself, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might have in the past.
Scotty doesn't know...

sfbdude

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Never had a specific goal when I was younger. I didn't even know what I wanted to do after I graduated high school... I went to college for many years trying out different things, changed majors several times and still couldn't find that "dream job". I always had a 'thing' about airports every time I went to one. I always got excited about it. Not sure what exactly it was but, I guess there was always that hidden interest. I have worked as a ramp agent for many years now and I enjoy doing it. Not necessarily the area nor the company I currently work for but, hopefully the amount of experience I have will help me find better opportunities out there when the time comes. Not sure if this is what I would consider my dream job but, you never know what the future holds and where this will take me.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:23 am

Quoting GBLKD (Reply 32):

I've been driving both coach and semi trailers and there are pro's and con's to both.
Driving a coach the cargo loads and unloads itself, no standing outside in freezing cold slurries.
Driving a semi the cargo don't whine if you break too hard, or if you had too much fried onion on your lunch break  
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

ShyFlyer

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Not even close. I'm surviving, so I've got that going for me.
I lift things up and put them down.

747400sp

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 am

I was bless to work on an US aircraft carrier, I had a chance travel to Singapore, Europe, Hawaii, Dubai and Canada. So I live part of my dream to travel over seas and work on an aircraft carrier. Now that I am a civilian again, I am thank god that I had that opportunity.

Superfly

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:17 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 38):
I was bless to work on an US aircraft carrier, I had a chance travel to Singapore, Europe, Hawaii, Dubai and Canada. So I live part of my dream to travel over seas and work on an aircraft carrier. Now that I am a civilian again, I am thank god that I had that opportunity.

Sounds awesome!
You deserve better than a Honda Ridgeline. 
Bring back the Concorde

747400sp

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Sounds awesome!
You deserve better than a Honda Ridgeline.

You may be right, too bad Caddilac stop building the STS, I like that car also.

Superfly

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 40):
You may be right, too bad Caddilac stop building the STS, I like that car also.

It just went out of production this year but there are tons available to purchase. Lots of new old stock and used models with very low miles and far below MSRP.
See if you can find a used STS-V.
Bring back the Concorde

idealstandard

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm

I am not living my dream, installing toilets is not for me.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):

What is your line of work??

TR1

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:13 pm

I would say yes.

I always knew I wanted to something with the airlines and airplanes. I even remember playing Flight Attendant when I was very young. When I was finishing college the airlines were in a downturn and were not hiring. Air Force ROTC officer training didn't pan out. By the time I graduated college the airlines were starting to hire again so I decided to make a shot at it. Interviewed multiple times over a several year period at all the major airlines and didn't get hired. Then 20 years ago a call from the Red Tail changed my life.

Its still a great ride despite the ups and down of the industry (including a merger) and sometimes being reminded by some that my chosen field is not a career but just a job.

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Not yet.

I always wanted to be an Astronaut.
Only I was brought up in the wrong family for it.
I got on Concorde +++ but not yet to an orbital flight.

I have not given up. I might get lucky.. who knows?
Never give up hope.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

safetyDemo

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 pm

I've wanted to be a Flight Attendant since as long as I can remember. When I was 20 I was hired by a regional airline. I used to sit on that jumpseat and think to myself "I'm 20. I have my dream job. What is left to accomplish in life?"

Little did I know! Six years later I am in a very happy relationship, moved from the Midwest to a major east coast city, and now am a Flight Attendant for a major airline. I've also had multiple opportunities to work in various capacities related to the Inflight department at both airlines I've flown for and am very excited for my future career prospects. It is wonderful to go to work every day and love what I do. I may never get rich flying - but I knew that before I started (I'm a third generation airline employee). The happiness with what I do is far more important to me than the money.
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

lhr380

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting safetyDemo (Reply 45):
The happiness with what I do is far more important to me than the money.

I can not agree more with that comment.

Thanks  
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

tb727

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 am

Heck yeah, when I was a kid I wanted to fly 727's. So I did it. Lots of luck and hard work got me where I am. It was tough as they really started disappearing the last 10 years. I just haven't had much luck in my life outside work but that is what I am working on next. It took my entire 20's to get to where I wanted to be in my career so now I can start looking harder for a wife and get a family going while also deciding what's next with my flying.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Superfly

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 am

Bring back the Concorde

shaq

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:32 am

Well , When I was a little kid , I wanted to be garbagemen , fire fighter , doctor , accountant , teacher , bus driver , pilot , teacher ,Gosh!! so many things!
But now , I think I'm decided and I want to be a pilot .   Flying my favorite aircrafts , the 747-8 and the 777!
Long live the 777!
I'm a teen , I hope me family can get the money for my pilot courses   Very expensive , but well, life goes on.
I'm healthy , have good family and friends. What can I ask for ? Ahh yes , I remembered , money

Studying hard, for flying right!