FingerLakerAv8r
Topic Author

Do I Want To Live In Boston?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Sorta ripping off gigniel's title but it will do lol.

Came in to work today and found out I'm being transferred to BOS! Now, I love Logan Airport (i'm wierd) and I love Boston but I have to make a decision... Do I want to live in BOS full time or do I want to stay where I am now (The Finger Lakes) and commute? I have the option of doubling up shifts and getting a crash pad which means I work 3 days a week and fly home. However I feel like I would'/t be able to enjoy all of what Boston has to offer if I am only there to work.

I know Boston is MUCH more expensive than where I am now. If I move to Boston full time I go from paying 475/month for rent to live alone to paying anywhere between 600-1000/month with roommates. Cost isn't an issue really but location is. If I move there full time I will not be bringing my truck so I will need to live near the "T". I''ve been told to avoid living in Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan.

So... what part of Boston should I check out if I decide to move there? (Happily single, heterosexual, and big fan of live music especially Irish tunes)

Cadet57

RE: Do I Want To Live In Boston?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Boston suburbs aren't bad. I live about a hour from the city. My friend lives about 20 mins south of Boston in Weymouth. His rent is HALF of what it is in the city and he lives in a really nice place.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

PHLBOS

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Thread starter):
I''ve been told to avoid living in Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan.

Some of the other adjacent towns (Lynn, Revere, Chelsea) aren't that great either.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
Boston suburbs aren't bad.

If you want to do suburbs, I personally would recommend most towns at or near the Route 128 corridor. However, so of the ritzier suburbs in the area will likely have higher rents.

If one looks outside of 128 (but inside 495), you might find some lower priced-rents; but rents for the whole eastern Massachusetts area (inside 495) has skyrocketed over the last decade or so.

One may find better-priced rents beyond 495, but then your commute will be longer. Note: the T does have a commuter rail system that stretches out to 495 in some areas.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:39 pm

I love Logan Airport (i'm wierd)

Me too, though growing up there definitely has something to do with it.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
I live about a hour from the city.

Must...not....say.....anything......

I''ve been told to avoid living in Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan.

I don't know Roxbury and Mattapan well (and I'd probably avoid living there as well), but Dorchester does have some decent pockets. But the area in general isn't great.

So... what part of Boston should I check out if I decide to move there? (Happily single, heterosexual, and big fan of live music especially Irish tunes)

If cost is no object and you want to be within walking distance to stuff to do or near the T, I'd check out the West End, Charlestown, South End, Back Bay/Fenway, Bay Village, Allston, Brighton, Beacon Hill, Jamaica Plain (all of those are within Boston), and then Cambridge, Somerville, Watertown, Brookline, Newton, etc.

I grew up in Boston's northwest suburbs, about 15 miles from the city. The suburbs are generally pretty nice and quiet, but very much family-oriented, so not as much to do as there is in/near the city.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Cadet57

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 2):
If you want to do suburbs, I personally would recommend most towns at or near the Route 128 corridor. However, so of the ritzier suburbs in the area will likely have higher rents.

Like I said, my buddy is in Weymouth off of 93/3 and has a very nice place for really decent rent compared to the city. Its under a grand per month. Weymouth/Quincy is a nice area overall.

Cadet57

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 3):
Must...not....say.....anything......

We have running water now!

Revelation

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Do I want to live in BOS full time or do I want to stay where I am now (The Finger Lakes) and commute?

City life is not my cup of tea, but there's a reason rents are high in Boston: there's a lot of people that will pay a lot of money to be in/near Boston.

Some of that's due to the large number of universities, and some of that's due to the fact that there are a lot of decent paying jobs Downtown (Fidelity et al).

In my mind it does come down to whether or not you want to a city lifestyle. As cities go, Boston is a pretty good one, IMHO.

PS: Don't forget to factor in the cost of having a car in Boston if you plan to do so. Parking can easily cost you a couple hundred dollars a month in the city itself. Once you get further out, parking is less of an issue, and Boston does have decent mass transit. You should study the transit maps when considering where to live, and avoid driving in the city like the plague.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Cadet57

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 6):
and Boston does have decent mass transit.

Sure, we can go with "decent". Yeah, lets go with that....  Wink

[Edited 2011-09-13 09:51:07]

keagkid101

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I moved to Boston over a year ago, and I love it. Of course, I decided not to live in downtown, as it is was to expensive. I live about 45 minutes south, in Fall River (I do NOT recommend living here)

Places to Live:
Braintree (About 10-15 minutes outside of Boston, that is, without traffic, which there always is before 10am and after 3pm)
Medford (About 15 minutes north of Boston, but rent still might be high there)
Weymouth, Quincy, Boston are all suburbs of Boston and are all really nice
If you don't mind commuting about 25-35 minutes, and don't need the "big city" feel I'd recommend Bridgewater and Stoughton. AVOID BROCKTON.

Things to Do:
There is ALWAYS something to do in downtown. The House of Blues always has great entertainment, and the TD Garden brings in those big name artists.

Cadet57

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Quoting keagkid101 (Reply 8):
I live about 45 minutes south, in Fall River (I do NOT recommend living here)

I see you've discovered all Fall Rivah has to offer  

keagkid101

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 9):

I see you've discovered all Fall Rivah has to offer

I honestly don't mind Fall River. I'm not one of those people who hates it. But I live in the "rich" area, per say, so I don't know if I got the "full" experience.

airportugal310

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I live in Quincy and hate this place. After growing up in the burbs, this place just all around blows. Wollaston is pretty cool but I think thats about it.

Id rather live deeper into the South Shore

My two cents
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

n229nw

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 pm

YES! You want to live in Boston. It is IMHO the best city in the USA (I often wish I still lived there). And for God's sake, if you are moving to the city, don't move to the suburbs! You'll have less living space for more money, but you can walk out your door and do anything. Live right on the T in Cambridge, Brighton, the South End or somewhere really central. And Dorchester has nice parts too.

My 2 cents, since you asked   

PS: I love Logan airport too.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

BOStonsox

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm

I grew up in Walpole and then went to school in Dorchester and then Worcester, and I once for fun compared rents of one place in Walpole to Harbor Point in Dorchester and they were about the same (Walpole is between 128 and 495). Dorchester isn't so bad if you're by the water. I like City Point, South Boston, but Southie gets rough as you near the Red Line. Avoid Mission Hill and the area around Forest Hills has a bad notoriety also. Anywhere else in the city itself is fine.
2013 World Series Champions!

Pyrex

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 12):
YES! You want to live in Boston. It is IMHO the best city in the USA (I often wish I still lived there). And for God's sake, if you are moving to the city, don't move to the suburbs! You'll have less living space for more money, but you can walk out your door and do anything. Live right on the T in Cambridge, Brighton, the South End or somewhere really central.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree, Boston is an awesome place, wish I could still live there.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Revelation

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 7):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 6):
and Boston does have decent mass transit.

Sure, we can go with "decent". Yeah, lets go with that....

Decent, meaning there is some and it more or less works. I don't think there's any place in the US that can claim to have excellent mass transit. The best I've seen is the DC Metro, but the problem is there just isn't enough of it to call it excellent, and it's been subsidized out the wimwam to get as far as it's gotten.

apodino

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 pm

I grew up in Boston, and if you are going to be based in BOS, living in a location with easy transit access is a must, since the Employee Parking is in Chelsea which is not terribly close to the airport.

I don't know what your budget is, but for access to the Subway...Somerville near Davis Square, Brighton, Malden, Medford, Newton, and Brookline are all very nice. Some parts of Dorchester are to be avoided, but if you end up somewhere near Neponset Circle or in the Lower MIlls, its not bad at all. West Roxbury and Roslindale are nice as well. On the South Shore, Quincy, and Braintree are really nice.

Areas I would avoid would be Roxbury, Mattapan, and the western part of Dorchester. Jamaica Plain isn't bad, but because it is served by the Orange Line which can be a little rough at night in the southern part, I would probably avoid it as well.

Those are Subway access. If you want to live a little further out and use Commuter Rail, Logan Airport is much easier to get to from the South than the North by train due to South Station having a direct connection via the Silver Line. Areas I would recommend would be Norwood (The Windsor Gardens complex even has its own station), Canton, Weymouth, and Stoughton. As people have mentioned, try to avoid Brockton.

FingerLakerAv8r
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanx for all the info guys! If I do move to BOS I will NOT be bringing my truck (08 Siverado) since parking it in my driveway right now is a pain lol. So Parking is not an issue.

Where are the best Irish Pubs with the best Irish music locaded?

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 16):
West Roxbury and Roslindale
Those are Subway access.

Although they may have access to the subway through a bus, or have commuter rail access, West Roxbury and most of Roslindale don't have direct subway access. The Orange Line terminates at Forest Hills in Jamaica Plain.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

LONGisland89

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Do I Want To Live In Boston? 

Not if you're from New York and happen to like the Yankees.

FingerLakerAv8r
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 19):
Not if you're from New York and happen to like the Yankees.

HATE the Yankees. My Dad is from Portland, Maine lol

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 20):
HATE the Yankees

Then you'll fit right in!

BOStonsox

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 17):
Where are the best Irish Pubs with the best Irish music locaded?

Where all the Irish are, Southie, Dorchester, the Neponset Valley and the South Shore. Yeah, if you don't end up in the city itself, it seems like south is the way to go!
2013 World Series Champions!

nkops

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:05 am

As a Yankees fan, it pains me to say this..... but, I love Boston!! great drinking town and nice town to walk around (sucks to drive around though)
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

jcs17

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 am

It's a shame that places like Cape Cod and the Berkshires have to be stained by being in the same state as Boston   . Boston is nice enough to visit, but I don't think I could live there -- having to deal with Boston sports fans and the accent.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

keagkid101

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:30 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 24):
Boston is nice enough to visit, but I don't think I could live there -- having to deal with Boston sports fans and the accent

I find this offensive. Sports are big here, but you don't have to follow them. No one really cares if you don't. And the accent? Would you say the same about moving to S. Africa? "Oh, don't move there because of the accent." Boston is a great place to live!

FURUREFA

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:42 am

I grew up in Boston, and if you are going to be based in BOS, living in a location with easy transit access is a must, since the Employee Parking is in Chelsea which is not terribly close to the airport.

Honestly]y, I recommend living somewhere with T access to Logan. I live in Cambridge (Harvard Sq.) and it's much quicker for me to take the T to Logan. Our parking lot, although different, is also in Chelsea. Driving there takes 15-20 minutes at most, yet it takes another 15-20 minutes from the lot to my terminal (and I'm the only stop) because of the stupid Chelsea Bridge construction.

Live somewhere where you can take the Blue/Silver lines in - you'll be thankful for it!

airportugal310

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:22 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 24):
It's a shame that places like Cape Cod and the Berkshires have to be stained by being in the same state as Boston   . Boston is nice enough to visit, but I don't think I could live there -- having to deal with Boston sports fans and the accent.

No one really gives a shit what you think
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

LONGisland89

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:16 am

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 27):

ROFL...I literally pooped my pants when I read this. Be right back, gotta get some new undies.

vikkyvik

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:48 am

Quoting keagkid101 (Reply 25):
And the accent? Would you say the same about moving to S. Africa? "Oh, don't move there because of the accent."

I grew up in the Boston area, and as much as I love it, even I find the accent annoying. Just like I find a New York accent annoying.

Blunt and honest! Just the way Bostonians should be!

Cadet57

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Perfect.

Airportugal310. The new definition of Masshole  

gift4tbone

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:30 pm

It seems to me the northshore didn't get any love in this thread. If the commuter rail is an option, vs. the T, I'd recommend Wakefield. My boyfriend is from there, and its a beautiful little town, with all the conveniences you would need (fast food, grocery, etc). The lake in the center of town is also wicked nice to walk around, year-round. They also do kayak rentals during the summer months. It's about 10 miles north of BOS.

Also, parts of Malden are very nice, with close T access. If you decide to bring your truck, I'd recommend Woburn. It's a bigger town, north of the city, and the rents are relatively cheap there. There are parts to avoid, but you will find that in most any town/city anywhere.

I hope you make the best choice for you, good luck!

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 2):
Some of the other adjacent towns (Lynn, Revere, Chelsea) aren't that great either.

I just couldn't resist. But: "Lynn, Lynn, city of sin, you never go out the way you went in."

[email protected]
Top 3 airports: PVD 22.1%(142 flights), PHL 13.6%(87 flights), PHX 9.3%(60 flights)

Cadet57

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Quoting gift4tbone (Reply 31):
wicked

You know you're from MA when....  
"Lynn, Lynn, city of sin, you never go out the way you went in."

LOL. I learned what is meant by that a couple months ago while going to Nahant. What a shithole Lynn is.

Revelation

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Lynn, Lynn, city of sin, you never go out the way you went in

Apparently the next few lines go:

Quote:

Lynn, Lynn, city of sin
You never come out the way you went in.
Ask for water they give you a gin
the girls say no but always give in

As above, I'm not a city person anyhow, but most people I've talked to say Lynn is a shithole.

PHLBOS

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:55 pm

It seems to me the northshore didn't get any love in this thread.

North Shore native speaking here: Given the OP's parameters AND budget; most of the North Shore communities, while nice (I grew up in Marblehead) tend to be more expensive. This has been, for the most part, true since the mid-80s Yuppie Revolution. A lot of North Shore towns litterally priced themselves out of reach for younger workers.

Addtionally, T subway access is a bit more limited: the Blue Line only goes as far as Revere (Wonderland stop), which is below Lynn. While many communities are served via commuter rail, the frequencies of those trains are less than the comparable subway... especially on nights and weekends.

Wakefield

Are the rents in Wakefield in the OP's price-range? IIRC, most of the communities along the 128 corridor tend to be pricey. They were when I moved out of the Bay State in 1990.

To the OP: Assuming that your place of work is actually IN Logan Airport; one town northeast Boston that often gets overlooked is Winthrop; which is located adjacent to East Boston. There are some pockets of nice areas in the town and there's a Blue Line station (Orient Heights) located in neighboring East Boston. If one doesn't want to drive to the station (a 2-mile drive MAX. from the northern part of Winthrop), there is a T bus that serves the area as well.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 32):
Nahant

Not a bad town to live at either but access and amenities are limited. There is only one convenient store, Richdale's, in town and there are NO gas stations. One has to drive to neighboring Lynn or Swampscott for other items. There are a couple of nice restuarants (the Tides & Sea Gales) in town.

There's only one T bus that serves it from Lynn. I'm not sure if that bus route offers through service to the Wonderland Blue Line station.

Then again, because it's a coastal town (more like an island sans the Causeway); rents could be higher.

Lynn, Lynn, city of sin, you never go out the way you went in.

Know that phrase all too well. I was born in Lynn Hospital... which is no longer there.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 33):
Apparently the next few lines go:

Since I learned the first 2 lines as a little kid; neither of my parents told my brother and I those next 2 lines.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

tommy767

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:31 pm

I've been to BOS a few times and I really enjoyed Cambridge -- probably my favorite area of the city hands down. Also I got a really good vibe out of Jamaica Plain which is a good 20-30 minute subway ride out of the city. They have some awesome cheap Victorian homes that are on the cheaper side for rent.

Overall, I think Boston itself is overrated. It's not a "fun" city, the city shuts down around Midnight (along with the T), the people are pretty snotty, and I don't pride myself on higher education -- something that I feel most people on Boston brag about have 2 or 3 master degrees (ok I'm joking now.) Then again I'm not a fan of many cities in the Northeast, NYC included.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA