propilot83
Topic Author

UN 66th General Assembly

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:43 am

Beginning next week of 13th September 2011, the UN will hold the 66th General Debate, world leaders will gather, and once again New York city will be under tight gridlock. Adrenaline will be high, streets will be closed, detours set, Secret Service, DSS, FBI, local NYPD officials have already set security apparatus and security details for President Obama and other world leaders. Here we go again baby, get ready for loud sirens, honks, traffic jams, mayhem and chaos in one of America's busiest cities. Sniper teams, counter-assault teams, emergency response teams, SWAT, get ready to bust as* in NY city once again. FAA securing NY airspace, check their website for more information. Dont you just love the action?  http://www.un.org/en/ga/

www.faa.gov

Mir

RE: UN 66th General Assembly

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:37 am

Quoting propilot83 (Thread starter):
Adrenaline will be high

Umm, UN week is pretty much like any other week, actually.

Here we go again baby, get ready for loud sirens, honks, traffic jams, mayhem and chaos in one of America's busiest cities.

All these things happen in NYC on a daily basis. Really nothing unusual.

Dont you just love the action?

There would have to be action to love. As it stands, my reaction is more of the "meh" variety. Not to say that what actually goes on in the UN isn't interesting, but that has little to do with the scene outside (which is, as I said, pretty mundane).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bill142

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 am

What's the point of this thread? Is it about the UN General Assembly or about how peoples lives are, or apparently aren't, going to be inconvenienced by it?

ltbewr

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:27 am

The 66th UN GA will be it's usual circus as to security and of highly controversial leaders or national representatives visiting often bashing the USA, Israel and other mainly rich countries along with large groups of protesters in allocated areas around the UN's buildings.

This GA will have the President of Iran visit, a very unpopular person here and in Israel and one who abuses the GA access to bash the USA, Israel and other countries. The Israeli PM Nethenheu will also be here, adding more heat than light as to the Israeli-Palestitian issues and bashing Iran. Of course, USA President Obama will speak, with it's security circus and USA right winders getting another thing to bash him over.

The big issue that will dominate will be the proposed change in the status of the Palestinian Authority to be treated as a separate State, one that will get a huge majority in the GA vote, but will be killed off by the USA in the Security Council, with resulting fallout for the USA and Israel.

I would love to see the GA get into the serious issues of sexual abuse and exploiation by UN aid workers in Africa and elsewhere that has been going on for years.

It ought to be a interesting session.

einsteinboricua

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:52 am

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how the Palestinian delegation will be treated. The US is threatening to veto Palestinian membership, but with many Arab countries threatening actions if the veto occurs, will the US follow through or abstain?

Upgrade to non-member state (as opposed to the current observer status) will be Plan B for them, which will de facto recognize that a Palestinian state does exist, and is virtually guaranteed since only a simple majority in the General Assembly is needed.

Other than this (which will be the main event this week), we can expect the usual Israel-Iran bashing and other empty words from many world leaders.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

comorin

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Adrenaline will be high

Umm, UN week is pretty much like any other week, actually.

Here we go again baby, get ready for loud sirens, honks, traffic jams, mayhem and chaos in one of America's busiest cities.

All these things happen in NYC on a daily basis. Really nothing unusual.

Obviously NOT an East Sider  

propilot83
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 5):

Hahahaha, your right dude! your funny, I am from the west coast baby, California' yaeh! Thats right yaeh! not yeah!
Well if NYC is crazy everyday, it will get even worse on UN week! Basically add more fuel to the fire!

jcs17

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:19 am

Quoting propilot83 (Reply 6):

Hahahaha, your right dude! your funny, I am from the west coast baby, California' yaeh! Thats right yaeh! not yeah!
Well if NYC is crazy everyday, it will get even worse on UN week! Basically add more fuel to the fire!

Haha. He meant East Side of Manhattan, where the UN is located, where traffic is horrific during the General Assembly or any other UN event. I have a meeting in East Village today that I'll probably take a cab to. I think I'll have to "remind" the cab driver to head south first before cutting over.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Mir

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 5):

I don't live there, no, but I have family who do (a couple of blocks south of the UN area) and I pay them visits every so often, including over UN week. And I've never had trouble.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

propilot83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 7):
Haha. He meant East Side of Manhattan, where the UN is located, where traffic is horrific during the General Assembly or any other UN event. I have a meeting in East Village today that I'll probably take a cab to. I think I'll have to "remind" the cab driver to head south first before cutting over.

OMG!!!   man man man, am I bad?

Geezer

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:00 am

I just read the OP's post; haven't read any replies yet. I would just like to say, I can't imagine how we would ever manage to "get along" without the United Nations ! ( but I sure as hell would love to try ! )

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Though not directly related....But the UN should represent the current world senario and represent the true human population nation wise with no veto.

leave 1945......go to 2011.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ltbewr

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Today, Palestitian President Abbas has spoken to the UN GA and asked for 'full statehood' in the UN as to Palestine. I wonder if anyone walked out of this speech? This ought to get all the crazies wound up.

Here is an interesting point I would like to make as to recognizing a state of Palestine: Yes, the leadership and it's leading parties are or have been involved in acts of terrorism and war as to Israel and other countries, but is that any worse than dozens of other countries that are members of the UN as well with their internal and external wars as well as serious human rights violations ? [This is not to ever condone terrorism of innocents by anyone]

If you are a group of people who have been pushed or for political reasons made some choices to abandon what what became Israel, put into camps that still exist generations later, lost in wars several times and had more land taken for settlements from Israel, you might be a violently angry as well as demanding of your own state too. Of course, the USA and some EC reps on the Security Council will veto it, but then you ticked off the rest of the ME and Islamic world causing more hate against us.

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:13 pm

I hope Palestine will get their own nation. I don't see why Israel was allowed their own nation and not Palestine. Palestine is such an old entity from back in biblical times.

I hope this error will be rectified this time around and they will get the necessary number of votes to be successful in establishing their own country.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde