Airstud
Topic Author

Facebook @#!&ed Up Facebook Again

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:00 am

When I log on to the Facebook, I want I should see my friends' status updates. That's really all I want; I don't want this "News Feed" crap that tells me Joe was tagged in Auntie Florence's album....

Yesterday, I could click on the "Most Recent" menu on the home page and select Status Updates. Now that's gone...anyone know where its equivalent can now be found?
Pancakes are delicious.

wilco737

RE: Facebook @#!&ed Up Facebook Again

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:27 am

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):

It is so annoying!!! Many posted already that they start using google+ a lot more now...

So sign up and add everybody you know 

P.S.: I am on google+ as well 

wilco737

N243NW

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 am

The two annoying things for me are two simultaneous news feeds - one in the "sidebar" on the right, and one in the larger main frame - and the fact that many of these "news" items have nothing to do with me. If X replied to Y's comment on Z's photo album, and I am friends with X but neither Y nor Z, why should I care?

Oh well...I better start getting used to it. People always bitch about this stuff for a couple days then forget that it was ever different beforehand. Judging by previous layout changes, it's not going back to the "old" way.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

joffie

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 am

haha yeah I know, went on today and im like what is this NEWS.. I thought yeah ok some real news, but I dont care about your stupid update....

hmm might need to try Goooooooooooooooooooooogle +++++

Ferminios

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 am

It's just like any other change to a major website. It's met with outrage e.g. OMG I'M LEAVING!

Except that in the end people don't leave. No worries, you'll get used to it  

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:07 am

Google+ goes public and &@#$ hits the fan at Facebook. This is going to be fun to watch. Could this be the beginning of a new cycle?   
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CrimsonNL

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 am

I know that a lot of FB changes are met with protest, but usually I don't really mind them. This one however, really sucks. I want to read the most recent posts, not the one FB thinks I'll enjoy on top!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

mke717spotter

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 am

Ugh, the changes they just made to Facebook are TERRIBLE!!! I pray to god that they change it back asap because seriously, is there anyone that actually likes this updated New Feed?

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
Yesterday, I could click on the "Most Recent" menu on the home page and select Status Updates. Now that's gone...anyone know where its equivalent can now be found?

I'm wondering the same thing, I like seeing posts/status updates in chronological order.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

wilco737

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 am

WEird things happen on fartbook now.

I posted a link to a picture on airliners.net but it disappeared from the news feed page completely... Can only see it on my own profile and that's it... Where is it?! :@

wilco737

QantasA333

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am

Not happened for me so far. I can still select what I can see on the News Feed. It might have something to do with the language you are using on Facebook. None of my friends have had the problems described above.

wilco737

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:51 am

Quoting QantasA333 (Reply 9):

Yes, I changed my language to English (UK) and all went back to the old version. I guess the US guys have to use the new one then 

wilco737

EA CO AS

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 am

Dear Facebook,

Thank you. No really, thank you. A lot!

Signed,
Netflix
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 am

WTFFFFF.... I see what you mean. My whole front page is filled with my little sister's friend talking to my sister... and it goes down 2 more page lengths. Seriously, I don't wanna see that, it's like forced ease dropping and stalking

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:32 am

I shifted Accounts setting back to English [UK] & things are restored back.........It was confusing after this modification.........
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

DunaA320

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:10 pm

I had it last week and it was awful! I logged in the next day and it was back to the old page, and currently is still the old style.... but for how long?!

wilco737

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Quoting DunaA320 (Reply 14):
but for how long?!

Not too long I guess. Once it is working fine at one place it will be introduced everywhere. So be prepared...

Google+ is the future.... Or not?!

wilco737

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 15):
Google+ is the future.... Or not?!

Facebook just made it easier for people to try something new. Just giving people a reason to jump ship. If it keeps up, I'm thinking it will be a quick and easy tradition of power.  
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

wilco737

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 16):
Just giving people a reason to jump ship. If it keeps up, I'm thinking it will be a quick and easy tradition of power.  

Yeah and today google+ was made available for everybody. So sign up, add people and there you go.

wilco737

ALTF4

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:42 pm

The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 17):
Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 16):
Just giving people a reason to jump ship. If it keeps up, I'm thinking it will be a quick and easy tradition of power.  

Yeah and today google+ was made available for everybody. So sign up, add people and there you go.

wilco737

Exactly. Upsetting their users the same day an alternate option became available was a bad move. Just made it easier for the competition to gain momentum.

AirPacific747

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Am I the only one here who likes the new update?

Quoting Ferminios (Reply 4):

It's just like any other change to a major website. It's met with outrage e.g. OMG I'M LEAVING!

Except that in the end people don't leave. No worries, you'll get used to it

BTW. Not gonna use Google+... They already have too much power. They have my e-mails, pictures on picasa, they can see what I search for, etc. And Google+ is just too late at the game.. I know only a handful of people who use it.

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 20):
BTW. Not gonna use Google+... They already have too much power. They have my e-mails, pictures on picasa, they can see what I search for, etc. And Google+ is just too late at the game.. I know only a handful of people who use it.

As more people try Google+, if they like it and their friends like it and it becomes where they spend a lot of time, it will catch on. Late to the game? I'd say good timing. People want to see something new. FB has been at the top for a few years now and if you look at MySpace as an example, the only way for FB is down. It's a cycle.

I'm not saying FB will fall overnight or anything. But it will be interesting to see what happens. Yeah right now only a handful of your friends use Google+ but until yesterday it was a invite only beta. Now that it's public the real battle begins. It's a social medium...so you get what you put into it. Once people start realizing Google+ is where "everyone else" is starting to spend time, they will want in too. Unfortunately for FB, they tweaked something that isn't going over well with most users and those users might be curious to try the new product. Google+ couldn't ask for more on their first day.

[Edited 2011-09-21 07:56:30]

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:10 pm

I don't know, Google + sucks in my opinion, which disappoints me greatly. FB's news feed and some other stuff is really messed up, but what I think is the most important (and what FB does correctly) is the actual profile. Things are lined up and in their own sections, have pictures, sorted, etc. Google +'s is a hodgepodge of text IMO

redflyer

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Quoting N243NW (Reply 2):
If X replied to Y's comment on Z's photo album, and I am friends with X but neither Y nor Z, why should I care?

That is exactly my problem with FB, and why I never use it nor do I understand how some people are addicted to it. If I want to spread some news about myself to some close friends and family, do I really want some jackass I don't even know to see it by virtue of his connection with a casual friend of mine? I never understood this business model.

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 15):
Google+ is the future

They already have too much power. They have my e-mails, pictures on picasa, they can see what I search for, etc. And Google+ is just too late at the game

No one is forcing you to use Gmail, Picasa, etc. You can spread those services among different providers. But, really, if you understood FB's business model, you should fear FB even more. And it seems FB still hasn't resolved some of their security issues as there seems to be another change every month or two that addresses a security concern regarding personal information being shared.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

LAXintl

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:32 pm

With all the complaints you people have about Facebook, why even use it?

Imo FB is nothing more than a silly wall for people to lose their anonymity on share their laundry on.
Life is so much better without FB or any-other 'social' sites.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 24):

Best thing we got right now

Imo FB is nothing more than a silly wall for people to lose their anonymity on share their laundry on.

True, people do go overboard

Your opinion. I never Facebook my good friends, I hang out with them. It's great for the friends that have gone off in different directions in life and it's the only way I keep in contact with them

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 23):
That is exactly my problem with FB, and why I never use it nor do I understand how some people are addicted to it. If I want to spread some news about myself to some close friends and family, do I really want some jackass I don't even know to see it by virtue of his connection with a casual friend of mine? I never understood this business model.

Exactly why I hate Facebook. Enter ex-girlfriend into the equation...yeah, not cool.

I don't use Facebook and my life is just fine. I still keep in touch with my old friends back home via phone/text and it works fine.

[Edited 2011-09-21 08:52:49]

Mir

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 18):

Brilliant.   

Am I the only one here who likes the new update?

I'm sure it's not that bad. Problem is, I was just getting comfortable with previous layout, and now it gets screwed up again. I doubt that the new layout is that much better than the old one to justify making such substantive changes every couple of months. Pick something that works and go with it for a while - how difficult can that be?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

redflyer

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:03 pm

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the second. As long as the user has control over who sees their posting then there is a lot of value to a social site. Social sites by their nature allow you to share information with a group of people in almost real time. I have about 25 close family and friends that I like to keep up with and a good social site can afford me the ability to keep them updated and for them to keep me updated on an almost daily basis. Otherwise, I would not hear from them nor they from me for long periods of time.

The problem with FB is that the information you share is broadcast wide and far and reaches people you may not know, or may not want to know what you are up to. That is the inherent fault of FB. The inherent beauty of Google+ - it allows you to control who sees what. I NEVER used FB (albeit I do have an account) and have posted, maybe at most, three times on my wall over the years. Since I joined G+ about a week after its rollout in July, I've been addicted to the site. I have no fear over posting information because I get to control who sees it.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

HorizonGirl

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Exactly, the first thing I thought when I saw the sidebar was, "Not only do I not care about ANY of this, but how is it my business to see it?" How is it really ok for me to see the activity between an acquaintance, and their friends which I have never heard of? I really don't like how Facebook has decided that this would be interesting to me. I was ticked off enough when they began dredging up old, irrelevant status updated from years past, but this may be the last straw.

I would have gotten rid of it long ago. But sadly, it seems to be the method of choice for communication for my aviation community. I use it to stay in the loop with them, but that is about it. In fact, they're the only people I talk to on there anymore.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 22):
I don't know, Google + sucks in my opinion, which disappoints me greatly. FB's news feed and some other stuff is really messed up, but what I think is the most important (and what FB does correctly) is the actual profile. Things are lined up and in their own sections, have pictures, sorted, etc. Google +'s is a hodgepodge of text IMO

The idea of a profile is becoming less relevant. It's all about the real-time updates and photos. That's all people care about.

gigneil

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:01 pm

NS

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 30):
The idea of a profile is becoming less relevant. It's all about the real-time updates and photos. That's all people care about.

Lol that's probably why I'm unhappy.

Quoting gigneil (Reply 31):

Touche, sir

AirPacific747

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 21):
As more people try Google+, if they like it and their friends like it and it becomes where they spend a lot of time, it will catch on. Late to the game? I'd say good timing. People want to see something new. FB has been at the top for a few years now and if you look at MySpace as an example, the only way for FB is down. It's a cycle.

I will give it a try just to see what it is like, but the problem is, I would think that it is too much of a hazzle having to build the friend list from scratch once again. I guess that doesn't only apply to me, hence why google will have problems convincing all fb users to use google+

No one is forcing you to use Gmail, Picasa, etc. You can spread those services among different providers. But, really, if you understood FB's business model, you should fear FB even more. And it seems FB still hasn't resolved some of their security issues as there seems to be another change every month or two that addresses a security concern regarding personal information being shared.

True. I have taken many steps to protect my personal information. My profile is hidden from google, and you can't find me unless you are friends with one of my friends. Plus, I only have a very limited amount of pictures uploaded to fb. But on the other hand, you also have to protect your Picasa profile so that not everyone can see your pictures there.

Quoting Mir (Reply 27):
I'm sure it's not that bad. Problem is, I was just getting comfortable with previous layout, and now it gets screwed up again. I doubt that the new layout is that much better than the old one to justify making such substantive changes every couple of months. Pick something that works and go with it for a while - how difficult can that be?

I follow you. But if I could change anything, I would change the profile back to the one before the previous one. It was in my opinion the best layout of them all.
The good thing about the new design is though, that you can sort the updates from your contact list and it is easier to create new lists and then only see their status updates.

[Edited 2011-09-21 14:25:53]

Revelation

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Not gonna use Google+... They already have too much power. They have my e-mails, pictures on picasa, they can see what I search for, etc.

And if you have an Android phone (where having a google account is mandatory), they have a shitload more.

Indeed. You would think FB would be doing quite well without these kinds of privacy leakages, but the fact that they keep these kinds of leaks open and are always changing their policies to make you have to search out new leakages really bothers me.

Quoting redflyer (Reply 28):
The inherent beauty of Google+ - it allows you to control who sees what.

Except for Google itself.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

seb146

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 pm

I looked at google+ earlier and it looks crazy. I don't understand it or something. I think FB is easier. Nothing has changed with it, really. Not that I can see, anyway. I also looked at Myspace at the same time this morning and it looks even worse than google+. I will stick with Facebook, thankyouverymuch...
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

mke717spotter

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 pm

lol this is great
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

UltimateDelta

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

I will admit I really haven't given a damn about any of the other changes they've made since I joined. But this one does really annoy me because it seems...well, forced. Also, it's way more obtrusive (at least in how it shows up on my page) than other sidebars used to be. Other than that, I'm fine with whatever FB decides to throw at us.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 35):
I looked at google+ earlier and it looks crazy. I don't understand it or something. I think FB is easier.

I heard similar things about Facebook back when everyone was using MySpace.

ShyFlyer

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 pm

I've found that clicking the little triangle in the corner and selecting "this is not a top story" has helped. Tedious and unnecessary, sure but it at least seems to work. For now.  
I lift things up and put them down.

gigneil

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Everyone realizes they can shrink the news part to be less than one line of the sidebar, right?

NS

gigneil

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Oh, and it can be entirely hidden?

NS

RGElectra80

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 am

Right now: Facebook changed its layout again! I'm never going to use it again! I feel entitled to be angry about a free service!!! SMASH!!!
Two minutes later: Well, I suppose I'll have to get used to it so I might as well dig in.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

LFutia

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:11 am

Nothing has changed for me, well maybe thats because my Facebook is in Nederlands sigh... im sure that will change eventually too

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

redflyer

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:13 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 34):
Quoting redflyer (Reply 28):
The inherent beauty of Google - it allows you to control who sees what.

Except for Google itself.

Welcome to the digital age. Unless you encrypt your email and everything else you do through a connection out to the world wide web, even that is not safe regardless of which provider you use. (And I suspect even with encryption someone at the NSA can view even those.)

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 am

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 42):
Right now: Facebook changed its layout again! I'm never going to use it again! I feel entitled to be angry about a free service!!! SMASH!!!
Two minutes later: Well, I suppose I'll have to get used to it so I might as well dig in.

Ahem.

I, for one, did not say "Everyone switch to google +," or "I'm never using the facebook ever again."

Allllll I said, see, was, "Anyone know where I have to go now to just see status updates?"
Pancakes are delicious.

einsteinboricua

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 am

I am really starting get ticked off right now. This new interface just plain sucks! However, I'm not willing to jump into Google+ just yet, though I have my account (since before it opened to everyone else, thank you very much. Feel free to add me...)
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bohica

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:21 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 17):
today google+ was made available for everybody.

Thanks for the info. I have been waiting for this day.

wilco737

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 47):

Looks like google+ slowly starts to grow. Since yesterday I went from 1 to 8 people in my circle 

wilco737

MadameConcorde

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

It seems that people are reluctant to adapt to change - as a whole.

Why restart another whole new thing on Google?

It's up to each person of course but such a waste of time. Only good for those who have a lot of time to spend on social networks and starting new accounts every new thing that comes.

There was MySpace, then Facebook, then Twitter... now they are coming up with Google... what next?

I never had a MySpace. I am not buying in to the Google thing as I find FB changes aren't too dramatic or too difficult to deal with. These companies do market studies worldwide before they make these changes.

Time will tell.

[Edited 2011-09-22 02:11:19]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde