willzzz88

RE: Non-Americans: Thoughts On Shopping In The US?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:38 am

Kiwirob

Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 am

Quoting signol (Reply 26):
Personally, I hate the fact that prices are listed before tax, so you never know exactly how much something costs.

I've never been able to work out why they can't price the goods with sales tax included, every other country manages to do it.

PanHAM

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 38):
All of this traveling overseas to purchase things..............does anyone in Europe ever order things from "Amazon" ( no sales tax, and almost everything I buy is free shipping, plus the lowest prices anywhere ? ( I have no idea about shipping to Europe ) I have probably bought $ 1,000 worth of stuff on Amazon this year; ( very pleased with everything, mostly camera "stuff" )

of course you can buy from Amazon here but they charge 19% VAT for German residents. You can buy anything in the net and get it shipped to Germany but you will pay duty if applicable and always 19% VAT on the declared value. UPS, FX DHL and German customs make sure of that.

Fpor those flkying overseas and returning with goods in their baggage an amount of about € 400,00 er person is free of duty and VAT.. In the USA in certain stores there is no sales tax for overseas visitors, same is here where visitors can apply for a VAT refund at the airport. They get 16,5% minus handling fee back from the gross amount.

Depending on what you buy, you might get the cost of the ticket back but the real value has to be seen that you get a short break from daily routine, see a grand city like NY and catch th spirit. Otherwise it is simply not "woith it".

Things are still comparativley cheap in Germany and in the big cities you get everything, all overseas brands from cheap to high price. There's really nothing you cannot buy in places like Frankfurt Munich etc. Even Abercrombie and Fitch and they let you wait - if you're stupid e nough - 2 hours before they let you into the store.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

ACDC8

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 40):
I've never really gone shopping in Washington State, but I have in Nevada and California. Nevada was the cheapest. The same items were literally 50%-75% cheaper. Eg: The Adidas shoes I mentioned are around $70 up here, but at the Adidas store in Vegas they were $32. Another Eg: IZOD golf shirts that are $40 at the Bay here, are $15 at the IZOD stores in Nevada.

I was thinking of driving down to Vegas next summer ... if I do expect a PM from me for a list of stores you'd recommend  

One thing I did notice that was a lot cheaper in the US is non-prescription drugs such as Tylenol and such. For example, a pack of 24 generic brand of 150mg Zantac costs me $9 at Walmart here in Canada, if I cross the border and go to the nearest Walmart there, I can get the same generic brand of 150mg Zantac for $4 and thats for a pack of 65.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Geezer

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:44 am

[quote=ACDC8,reply=53]One thing I did notice that was a lot cheaper in the US is non-prescription drugs such as Tylenol and such. For example, a pack of 24 generic brand of 150mg Zantac costs me $9 at Walmart here in Canada, if I cross the border and go to the nearest Walmart there, I can get the same generic brand of 150mg Zantac for $4 and thats for a pack of 65.

This is just unbelievable ! People from Canada coming to U.S. for cheaper non-prescription drugs, and we're going to Canada for cheaper prescription drugs ! It's beyond me.....................
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

jcs17

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 am

I ran into a young Irish family the other night at a wine bar near Penn Station.

They said they just wanted to buy American fashion... and that was it. They like American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie, and so forth. They came with no checked luggage, they bought a few cheap knockoff luggage for $200 just to transport their loot.

It's hilarious. I love how Europeans dismiss American culture, but will buy it freely.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

pilotsmoe

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:50 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 24):
1. The price! The same item south of the border is usually much cheaper than up here. With CAD at or near parity with USD there's a lot of savings

Every time I go to see my aunt in Canada I get my meds for a tenth of the price as here does that count?

pilotsmoe

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:55 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 54):
This is just unbelievable ! People from Canada coming to U.S. for cheaper non-prescription drugs, and we're going to Canada for cheaper prescription drugs ! It's beyond me.....................

That's just for generics though. My $133 vial of Lantus insulin costs $30 in Canada

Airontario

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:46 pm

I have a Friend who lives out in South Surrey, BC. (a suburb of Vancouver on the US/Canada Border). They do all their shopping in the USA, from gas to groceries, because it's so much cheaper than in Canada. Obviously this is not a big deal like flying from across an ocean, but it just goes to show the difference in taxes and mark-ups.

Where I live in Toronto, it's very common for people to drive down to Buffalo for the day for the sole purpose of shopping. Since I'm in the airline industry I prefer to go to Philadelphia, where I have family, and drive down to Delaware where there is no sales tax if I feel like shopping.

Gingersnap

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 18):
It's pretty expensive, as an American, to travel to Europe pretty much all the time. At least that's my observation.

I once bagged a £35rtn LHR-BOS with VS a few years back.

I was literally just on the website pricing up various things, and came across Boston for £35 return. I can't even get to Glasgow from Stansted for that little.

Better yet, only 120-ish pax on the outbound...and 83 pax on the return. Both flights operated by a 744 

[Edited 2011-09-25 09:25:03]
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

ACDC8

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:51 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 54):

Guess it has to balance out somehow  
Quoting airontario (Reply 58):
I have a Friend who lives out in South Surrey, BC. (a suburb of Vancouver on the US/Canada Border). They do all their shopping in the USA, from gas to groceries, because it's so much cheaper than in Canada.

Where do they go shopping? All the times I go down to WA, most groceries are just as expensive as they are here.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

zhiao

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 29):
If you think Europeans doing a shopping trip to the US is crazy you haven't seen rich Arabs shopping in Europe.

Even when they have Dubai? Of course, I think the experience in Paris is 100x better than in Dubai, so perhaps that makes up for it.

Quoting Babybus (Reply 35):
The Norweigians actually get paid decent, realistic, liveable wages, unlike the Brits. Everywhere in the world will be too expensive for the Brits very soon.

Britain is basically tied with Norway when it comes to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Gross_Wages_.26_Salaries_.28PPP.29

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 55):
It's hilarious. I love how Europeans dismiss American culture, but will buy it freely.

I think you are being paranoid. But you are right, there is a bit of this love-hate contradiction going on, but I think most Europeans do not dismiss US culture at all, but rather embrace it via consumption.

zhiao

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Question: How does US shopping compare to Dubai and HKG when it comes to prices, variety, and quality?