Aloha717200
Topic Author

Hermain Cain Wins Florida Straw Poll

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:27 pm

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...y-as-winner-of-florida-straw-poll/

Well, this is interesting.

It's been said that every winner of the Florida straw poll has gone on to eventually win the GOP nomination. Today, Herman Cain walked away with a decisive victory over the other Republicans in the race, garnering 37% of the vote versus Perry's 15% and Romney's 14%. Very interesting.

If this straw poll ends up continuing the tradition of being a harbinger of things to come, then we might just be seeing Cain pull off the GOP nod for the Presidency. So, what are your thoughts? A lot of people don't put much stock in straw polls, especially at this early stage, but I think the Florida straw poll bears special significance to both the Republican party as well as the media outlets as they've focused on this one far more intently than the other straw polls in Iowa and California, for example.

for what it's worth, I agree with Cain's 999 plan and would love to see it set in motion. My main concern is that if Obamacare is to be repealed, I want it replaced with a plan that makes it possible for a person like me, with many pre-existing conditions and dire need for medical care that I can't afford, to receive the health care that I need to stay alive. That's my #1 issue in this election so I hope a President Cain doesn't leave people like me in the dust.

Aside from that, considering a possible matchup between Cain and Obama on the debate stand...I think Cain would absolutely smoke Obama in terms of debate performance. I also think that the question of "race bias" in the election would be eliminated entirely...if Obama loses no one could claim racism, and meanwhile race would no longer be a factor in choosing between the candidates. The issues would be the main consideration. And that's the way it ought to be.

[Edited 2011-09-24 16:28:19]

WarRI1

RE: Hermain Cain Wins Florida Straw Poll

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:03 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Thread starter):
I agree with Cain's 999 plan and would love to see it set in motion. My main concern is that if Obamacare is to be repealed, I want it replaced with a plan that makes it possible for a person like me, with many pre-existing conditions and dire need for medical care that I can't afford, to receive the health care that I need to stay alive. That's my #1 issue in this election so I hope a President Cain doesn't leave people like me in the dust.

Good luck. I would not put any faith in a Republican to help you with your medical problems. One of the big healthcare issues, pre-existing condiditions. I wish you the best of luck in the future. Cain is wealthy, he could afford the quick care he was talking about the other night.

[Edited 2011-09-24 17:10:01]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Dreadnought

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am

It's been said that every winner of the Florida straw poll has gone on to eventually win the GOP nomination. Today, Herman Cain walked away with a decisive victory over the other Republicans in the race, garnering 37% of the vote versus Perry's 15% and Romney's 14%. Very interesting.

Indeed. A clear signal that the GOP base is pretty upset at Perry's poor debate performance in general, his little fib about getting lobbied by a cancer victim, and his big fail on subsidizing the children of illegals to the tune of $100,000 per person. I think Romney suffers from being too much of being a Moderate Republican - i.e. Democrat Lite, like McCain and Bush. Classical political consultants will say that you have to be in the middle, but I don't think the middle is enough - Big Government Keynesianism is a big fat failure - and the GOP platform should be to start tearing it down rather than simply slow its growth a little.

for what it's worth, I agree with Cain's 999 plan and would love to see it set in motion. My main concern is that if Obamacare is to be repealed, I want it replaced with a plan that makes it possible for a person like me, with many pre-existing conditions and dire need for medical care that I can't afford, to receive the health care that I need to stay alive. That's my #1 issue in this election so I hope a President Cain doesn't leave people like me in the dust.

I agree, the US healthcare insurance system is crap. Real fixes will require either the states to step up to the plate or a constitutional amendment. Personally I hope the states take it up, just like Massachusetts did. The Massachusetts attempt was certainly not perfect, but lessons can be learned and applied.

Aside from that, considering a possible matchup between Cain and Obama on the debate stand...I think Cain would absolutely smoke Obama in terms of debate performance. I also think that the question of "race bias" in the election would be eliminated entirely...if Obama loses no one could claim racism, and meanwhile race would no longer be a factor in choosing between the candidates. The issues would be the main consideration. And that's the way it ought to be.

I wonder what Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others who complained that Obama wasn't "black enough" (no slave blood, didn't grow up in black american culture) would say about Cain. No need to guess - he'll be called an Uncle Tom. But I don't care about his color. I like his ideas, but I am bracing myself for the inevitable gaffes that will come due to the simple fact that Cain does not have a lot of political experience, and he's bound to step on his crank a few times.

A Cain/Gingrich ticket would be extremely interesting - Cain providing the vision, and Gingrich tasked with translating that into legislation and pushing it through Congress.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 2):
A Cain/Gingrich ticket would be extremely interesting - Cain providing the vision, and Gingrich tasked with translating that into legislation and pushing it through Congress.

This agree with. Gingrich is full of ideas and is an old-school Republican, a bit more moderate. I'd vastly prefer him as VP than someone like Dick Cheney.

I'm intrigued by one other thing that I've seen going on since basically the beginning of Obama's candidacy, but it's a bit of a fringe subject so let me preface this by saying that this is a mere curiosity on my part....but you know those crazies that have been going on for years about how Obama is the Antichrist or that he bears marks of the Beast on him and things like that, or pointing out that his name sounds like an evil arabic word or using his middle name as frequently as possible to connect him with Saddam Hussein....

How will those same people reconcile the idea of a President with the last name of Cain, which in the Bible represents evil as opposed to the name Abel representing good? Will they give him a free pass since he's Republican?

Again, it's just a curiosity. I don't put any stock in the idea of an antichrist or someone's "name" representing whether they are good or bad, just interested in how the people who fear the name of Barrack Hussein Obama will react to someone named Cain.

[Edited 2011-09-24 17:21:35]

WarRI1

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 3):
How will those same people reconcile the idea of a President with the last name of Cain, which in the Bible reprresents evil as opposed to the Abel representing good? Will they give him a free pass since he's Republican?

I will forward that idea to the DNC right away. Turn about is fair play. The hate that the right has spewed about Obama, certainly calls for this to be used against Cain.  

[Edited 2011-09-24 17:24:59]

CometII

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:30 am

I'm no deep conservative but I like Herman Cain, always have since I heard of him. He seems very articulate but in a plain, direct way, and quick to his feet. He has concrete ideas, many I won't agree with him on, others which are intriguing. And he does have charisma.

I always thought he was a dark horse, but I still somehow don't see him pulling through. I have no doubt that whoever is the republican nominee, Cain will be on the ultimate short list for VP.

The one thing he hasn't really explained is healthcare. He says that be liberating the free market in healthcare it will get better, I've heard that before, but what does that mean. American healthcare is a travesty, because I simply refuse to accept that in order to have innovation and good quality, we must have 50 million uninsured and tens of thousands every year going bankrupt beause of an illness.

WarRI1

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:45 am

Quoting CometII (Reply 5):
American healthcare is a travesty, because I simply refuse to accept that in order to have innovation and good quality, we must have 50 million uninsured and tens of thousands every year going bankrupt beause of an illness.

When you have the profit motive driving healthcare, that is the end result as usual. High prices, deprivation for the poor. The haves and the have nots. Show them the money, your medical coverage card, or screw off. Go to the social services, if you qualify, go to the accident room. Show me the money. As the economy goes South, the jobs go East, it is harder and harder to provide these essential services for yourself and your family, if you fall into the growing group, of the working poor. Listen to the cannidates, do you hear a solution? I hear more of the same.

[Edited 2011-09-24 19:00:18]

Mir

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 am

It's been said that every winner of the Florida straw poll has gone on to eventually win the GOP nomination.

Well, Mitt Romney didn't win the nomination in 2008, so I guess that sort of falls apart.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jcs17

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:33 am

I wanted to Herman Cain as the GOP candidate before it was cool   .

I actually never thought that Cain would gain any sort of momentum, so I kind of resigned myself to Perry or Christie (thinking he'd run). I can't say enough superlatives about Herman Cain. He articulates a clear and concise economic policy, he can hold his own in a foreign policy debate, and he's just a really smart conservative candidate (his positions actually remind me a lot of Charles Krauthammer's). My trouble is that he might attach himself to Newt, who is completely unelectable and a complete douchebag to boot.

Crackers for Cain! Honkies for Herman!
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

jacobin777

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:30 am

So, what are your thoughts?

He's a bigot   .

Gingrich is full of ideas and is an old-school Republican,

Gingrich is full of other things as well. He's another bigot   . The Republican party has a number of them.      
"Up the Irons!"

DeltaMD90

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Any ideas on how this would affect the black vote? I'm not making any generalizations (disclaimer) but much of the black vote went to Obama just because he was black. Interesting to see how it would pan out...

dxing

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:37 pm

I agree with Cain's 999 plan and would love to see it set in motion.

There a lot of things in that plan that if they had been adopted 2 years ago, would have helped us actually have a recovery instead of the limbo we find ourselves in. I especially like the line: When one party seeks to spend so that the other party must focus on cutting, we must unite around economic growth as it couldn't be more true. In order to right the ship both sides need to agree that both spending cuts and tax reform to increase revenue have to be worked out.

My main concern is that if Obamacare is to be repealed, I want it replaced with a plan that makes it possible for a person like me, with many pre-existing conditions and dire need for medical care that I can't afford, to receive the health care that I need to stay alive.

The pre-existing conditions part has been agreed on by both sides for many years now, actually going all the way back to Hillarycare. But insurance for pre-existing conditions is an oxymoron. You can't insure against something that has already occured. What there needs to be is a rate that gives you the discounted care that you need to survive while not adversly affecting premiums for the healthy.

I also think that the question of "race bias" in the election would be eliminated entirely...if Obama loses no one could claim racism, and meanwhile race would no longer be a factor in choosing between the candidates.

That's some wishful thinking. As with Justice Thomas and Secretary Rice, he will be considered a dupe or "not really black" if that's possible. Only those that flip, like Secretary Powell, suddenly become "black" again.

You would think that was one of the main reasons that Gore and Biden were chosen was to help someone who had no real or long lasting Congressional experience guide their Presidential legislative agenda through the processes, but neither had much success at that. Gringrich would probably fare no better as he has been out of Congress for a number of years and most of the people he might have had some pull over are either gone or strong enough in their own right to be able to ignore him. I would prefer Rubio as VP to set him up for his own shot in 8 years.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Ken777

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 pm

My main concern is that if Obamacare is to be repealed, I want it replaced with a plan that makes it possible for a person like me, with many pre-existing conditions and dire need for medical care that I can't afford, to receive the health care that I need to stay alive.

Dude, if Health Care Reform is repealed you have some major problems. The GOP will do what ever the health insurance wants (and pays for before the election) and you certainly don't fit well in their profit structure. Remember the cheers in the recent GOP debate about the guy without insurance? Definitely a Die Fast moment in the GOP. Get prepared for a lot more of those moments.

I think Romney suffers from being too much of being a Moderate Republican

Which means he has a chance of being a reasonable decent President, especially when compared to the Perry's or Bachmans in the race.

Real fixes will require either the states to step up to the plate or a constitutional amendment.

Trust the states? They elect governors like Perry and you want to trust them to ensure their residents enjoy equal protection under the law?

How will those same people reconcile the idea of a President with the last name of Cain, which in the Bible represents evil as opposed to the name Abel representing good? Will they give him a free pass since he's Republican?

If he will cut taxes then the Holy Rollin Right won't care what his name is. They are always going to put Cash before Christ when it comes to the moral standards of this country. Did you hear the cheers at the debate when the question was about letting the cancer patient die because he didn't have insurance? And did you see the failure of Ron Paul, a doctor who supposedly took an ancient oath, to straight those bums in the audience straight? Cash before Christ.

He says that be liberating the free market in healthcare it will get better,
Quoting jcs17 (Reply 8):

I wanted to Herman Cain as the GOP candidate before it was cool

And it might be Cool for another few weeks.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 10):

Any ideas on how this would affect the black vote?

Cain will need to bow to the Party in Costume and the Tea Party has never shown anything to impress people of color, people in the lower half of the income/wealth scale, or someone who is without a job. Cain cannot stand up for these non-Tea Party types and get the Tea Party vote. Without the Tea Party vote he will be history. Actually, Cain is black - why should he expect the Tea Party support when he has all that pigment in his skin?

Dreadnought

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 9):
He's a bigot .
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 9):
Gingrich is full of other things as well. He's another bigot . The Republican party has a number of them.

Evidence? Or are you just pulling the race card - no surprise that's what lefties do when they have nothing constructive to say.

Quoting dxing (Reply 11):
You would think that was one of the main reasons that Gore and Biden were chosen was to help someone who had no real or long lasting Congressional experience guide their Presidential legislative agenda through the processes, but neither had much success at that.

Gore and Biden were idiots. Gingrich, for all his personal failings, is not.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 12):
Which means he has a chance of being a reasonable decent President, especially when compared to the Perry's or Bachmans in the race.

Whenever someone as far left as you thinks of someone as being a "reasonable decent President", that is hardly an endorsement.

Trust the states? They elect governors like Perry and you want to trust them to ensure their residents enjoy equal protection under the law?

States are much more capable of making systematic changes tailored to their needs than a federal government, and they have the added benefit of being in competition with each other.

Cain will need to bow to the Party in Costume and the Tea Party has never shown anything to impress people of color, people in the lower half of the income/wealth scale, or someone who is without a job. Cain cannot stand up for these non-Tea Party types and get the Tea Party vote. Without the Tea Party vote he will be history. Actually, Cain is black - why should he expect the Tea Party support when he has all that pigment in his skin?

More race card crap. why am I not surprised?

doug_or

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm not making any generalizations (disclaimer) but much of the black vote went to Obama just because he was black. Interesting to see how it would pan out...

Saying you're not making a generalization doesn't make it true.

Anyway, I don't think black people voted for Obama en mass because of his race. The African American community has been solidly Democratic for decades, and the last election was no different.
When in doubt, one B pump off

dxing

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 13):
Gore and Biden were idiots. Gingrich, for all his personal failings, is not.

But the idea is that they would know who to talk to, to get things moving. Unfortunately both Presidents, Clinton and Obama did not use those assets. Clinton relied on his wife in his most significant piece of 1st term legislation, Hillarycare, and she ignored Congress to the bills peril. President Obama just handed the reigns over to Pelosi and Reid after giving them broad brush strokes and they had to ram things through using unconventional means.

Gringich problem would be that he has been out of the House for so long all his pull is gone. Rubio on the other hand gives you the pull and sets the party up for 16 instead of 8 years in power.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Dreadnought

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 15):
Gringich problem would be that he has been out of the House for so long all his pull is gone. Rubio on the other hand gives you the pull and sets the party up for 16 instead of 8 years in power.

That's OK, he can depend on the leadership in place for that. The function would be one of leadership and guiding negotiations. Gingrich has a justified reputation as someone who successfully balanced the budget and did some pretty tough reforms (like welfare reform) with, in the end, bipartisan support. He can be the administration's voice in the negotiating room, struggling through the meat of the legislation, without handing it off to staff or (in Obama's case) simply not getting involved. Even Democrats, if they can get over their hyperpartisanship, should be able to appreciate his participation as someone who's "been there, done that".

zhiao

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Cain the other day mixed up numbers and instead of calling his plan 999, called it 666. lol

Revelation

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:32 am

I'm not making any generalizations (disclaimer) but much of the black vote went to Obama just because he was black.

LOL, so you're honestly telling us that much of the black vote actually preferred McCain, Palin and the rest of the GOP, but went with Obama just out of some sense of racial loyalty?

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:25 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 14):
Anyway, I don't think black people voted for Obama en mass because of his race. The African American community has been solidly Democratic for decades, and the last election was no different.
Quoting Revelation (Reply 18):
LOL, so you're honestly telling us that much of the black vote actually preferred McCain, Palin and the rest of the GOP, but went with Obama just out of some sense of racial loyalty?

Uhh there was a historic black voter turnout last election, coincidence? And way to spam the forums Rev, maybe you should understand what I'm saying because posting 46 rolling smileys makes you look like an idiot

jcs17

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 am

And you voted for Barack Obama.

Either you were economically illiterate, as the Democrats job plans were, or you wanted to support the new, hip black dude who didn't work work behind the counter at Starbucks. Uggh.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Superfly

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 am

I think Romney suffers from being too much of being a Moderate Republican - i.e. Democrat Lite,

That is what I've been saying for a long time. For starters, look at RomneyCare.

They're both from Georgia. Isn't there a Constitutional clause that bars both President and Vice President from being from the same state?

The one thing he hasn't really explained is healthcare.

Well he talked about it in great detail with President Bill Clinton waaaay back in 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8tFGZFUEo

Any ideas on how this would affect the black vote? I'm not making any generalizations (disclaimer) but much of the black vote went to Obama just because he was black. Interesting to see how it would pan out...

Obama is losing some support in the Black community. The media will try to paint Cain as an Uncle Tom but many Black voters would go ahead and vote for Cain anyway. Obama would still win the Black vote but not by a 90%+ margin that most Democrats since Kennedy has won. It would probably be a 60 / 40 split in Obama's favor.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...s/2011/09/21/gIQAqzJdlK_story.html

Five months ago, 83 percent of African Americans held “strongly favorable” views of Obama, but in a new Washington Post-ABC news poll that number has dropped to 58 percent. That drop is similar to slipping support for Obama among all groups.

I don't think black people voted for Obama en mass because of his race. The African American community has been solidly Democratic for decades, and the last election was no different.

That is true but turnout was much higher than normal. I don't see Obama recapturing that enthusiasm in 2012.
Obama can kiss away the thought of winning again in Indiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio and Florida.
His loss of support in the Latino community is even greater. Obama could very well be the first Democrat Presidential candidate in history to lose the Latino vote. That would mean losing Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada.
Bring back the Concorde

MAH4546

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:42 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 13):
More race card crap. why am I not surprised?

Because Democrats are at the point where they are so desperate to win 2012, knowing it's near impossible, that their last hope is falsely tainting the other side with harsh accusations that, like most things Democrats say and do, have no basis in reality.
a.

Revelation

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 19):
maybe you should understand what I'm saying

I've read it over a few more times, and it's just as laughable a statement now as it was before.

There was a historic turnout for all races colors and creeds.

And you really think most blacks voted for Obama because he was black, and it had nothing to do with eight years of GWB and the thought of four years of McCain and Pailin?

windy95

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 1):
One of the big healthcare issues, pre-existing condiditions. I wish you the best of luck in the future. Cain is wealthy, he could afford the quick care he was talking about the other night.

Started out of the gate quickly with your class warfare and rich envy on this one.

Which means he has a chance of being a reasonable decent President,

Like GWB?

Cain will need to bow to the Party in Costume and the Tea Party has never shown anything to impress people of color, people in the lower half of the income/wealth scale, or someone who is without a job

More race rhethoric from the party of no ideas.

Actually, Cain is black - why should he expect the Tea Party support when he has all that pigment in his skin?

Because he believes in the Constitution...

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 22):
Because Democrats are at the point where they are so desperate to win 2012, knowing it's near impossible, that their last hope is falsely tainting the other side with harsh accusations that, like most things Democrats say and do, have no basis in reality

Bingo...Class and race warfare is all they have left.

dxing

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 20):

Either you were economically illiterate, as the Democrats job plans were, or you wanted to support the new, hip black dude who didn't work work behind the counter at Starbucks. Uggh.

I'd like to know where you copied that supposed quote of mine. I don't see anything remotely like it in reply 11, or anywhere else for that matter.

ALTF4

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 4):
I will forward that idea to the DNC right away. Turn about is fair play. The hate that the right has spewed about Obama, certainly calls for this to be used against Cain.

Wait, that means you would have to actually place some remote small piece of acknowledgement for something in the Bible.

Actually, Cain is black - why should he expect the Tea Party support when he has all that pigment in his skin?

Ken, I would expect better from you. I know it would be hard for you to admit, though, that the GOP is actually not against Obama because he's black if Cain is elected.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 23):
And you really think most blacks voted for Obama because he was black, and it had nothing to do with eight years of GWB and the thought of four years of McCain and Pailin?

Yeah I saw it with my own eyes. I know a lot of black people, thank you. I saw a bunch of instances on the news of black people voting for the first time in their lives just because Obama is black. They have freakin songs about having a black president. It DID matter to a lot of black citizens, might not be PC but that's just how it was. I come in this forum, ask a legitimate question without trying to incite anything, and you snap back acting like I'm accusing the whole black population for racism. But other posters have nicely answered my question, and I thank them. Please just don't reply back, you and people like you aren't worth my time.

Edit: PM me if you want to continue this pointless conversation before our posts get deleted

[Edited 2011-09-26 08:30:03]

[Edited 2011-09-26 08:45:51]

PHLBOS

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 25):
Quoting jcs17 (Reply 20):

I'd like to know where you copied that supposed quote of mine. I don't see anything remotely like it in reply 11, or anywhere else for that matter.

He got it from Reply 12, which actually came from Ken777. It might've been an unintential A.net bug. This has happened occasionally before on other threads.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):
He got it from Reply 12, which actually came from Ken777. It might've been an unintential A.net bug. This has happened occasionally before on other threads.

It's a very simple bug. If you highlight any text on the thread and click "quote text" from a different post, it will quote the highlighted text but under the user you hit the button from. It is a bad flaw, something the mods should address to the IT guys ASAP as it often derails discussions trying to figure out what happened

slider

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Love the Herminator!

I do think he's weaker in foreign policy than he shold be if he wants to be a viable candidate, but he's been boning up on this from all that I've been reading.

And I'm still uncomfortable with his position on monetary policy and his background with the Fed. This is where Ron Paul clearly outshines everyone in the field.

But on balance, I love Cain's eloquence, straight forwardness, and elucidation on policy issues. He connects with people and his experience speaking on the TEA Party stump has helped him a great deal. Plus, if it came down to it, Herman would clean Obama's clock in a debate, hands down.

casinterest

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 pm

It just means he highlighted the quote in Reply 12, but went back up and hit the "Selected Text Quoted" from Reply 11. Try it when doing your next posts. It might be a bug, but really it is a case of "un" intended consequences of the desinger's implementation of the select buttons. Not sure of a way around this for the designers due to their code design, and the limitations of HTML and JavaScript.

Indeed. A clear signal that the GOP base is pretty upset at Perry's poor debate performance in general, his little fib about getting lobbied by a cancer victim, and his big fail on subsidizing the children of illegals to the tune of $100,000 per person. I think Romney suffers from being too much of being a Moderate Republican - i.e. Democrat Lite, like McCain and Bush. Classical political consultants will say that you have to be in the middle, but I don't think the middle is enough - Big Government Keynesianism is a big fat failure - and the GOP platform should be to start tearing it down rather than simply slow its growth a little.

The GOP is having an indentity crisis. The candidates are suprisingly diverse in their approaches to many key platform issues. The straw polls and polling to date are indicating that although the GOP wants Obama out, they aren't quite sure who should run the final leg of campaign.

I don;t think Keynesianism is a failure. I thin the real failure is that the Government has not balanced it's budgets, which makes almost all policy changes for economics mute.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 22):
Because Democrats are at the point where they are so desperate to win 2012, knowing it's near impossible, that their last hope is falsely tainting the other side with harsh accusations that, like most things Democrats say and do, have no basis in reality.

That is not where this issue stands. Both sides are guilty of doing this(Birthers anyone? ) ,but it is not what will ultimately decide the race. This race will be based on the Economy and who has the clearest plan going forward for Medical Care and Jobs.

Herman Cain has some interesting ideas,
but the following statement is complete BS in a world of Free Trade, Oil, and Offshoring,

3.Measurements must be dependable.
◦A dollar must always be a dollar just as an hour is always 60 minutes.
◦Sound money is crucial for prosperity
Where ever you go, there you are.

Mir

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 27):
I saw a bunch of instances on the news of black people voting for the first time in their lives just because Obama is black. They have freakin songs about having a black president. It DID matter to a lot of black citizens, might not be PC but that's just how it was.

There's a difference between that and changing your vote from another candidate just because of race. Those people who it mattered to probably weren't going to be voting for McCain anyway - the black community has historically been strongly democratic.

-Mir

Dreadnought

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 31):
The GOP is having an indentity crisis. The candidates are suprisingly diverse in their approaches to many key platform issues. The straw polls and polling to date are indicating that although the GOP wants Obama out, they aren't quite sure who should run the final leg of campaign.

In spite of what the Left has tried to convince people, the GOP is a Big Tent party, with a wide variety of stands. Hence the whole primary process.

I don;t think Keynesianism is a failure. I thin the real failure is that the Government has not balanced it's budgets, which makes almost all policy changes for economics mute.

Firstly, Keynesians advocate an activist stabilization policy to reduce the amplitude of the business cycle, using both monetary and fiscal policy. The basic problem with this is that it requires a great deal of discipline on the part of government to do this. If fiscal stimulus (i.e. deficit spending) can help - even a little bit - when the economy is struggling, then shouldn't it help also when the economy is doing well? Let's say that a 5% (of GDP) stimulus package is worth 1% of the unemployment rate (a relationship which I doubt, but anyway...), What politician is going to resist having that 1% when times are good?

For those of you who are Star Trek fans, you might remember the Prime Directive. It is a rule that cannot be broken, ever. It was written because before that rule, people were free to make certain decisions that almost invariably proved disastrous in the long run, in spite of the best intentions.

I think the Federal Government should also have a prime directive. Aside from pursuing those duties that a government is mandated to do (defend the country, enforce laws in an equitable fashion, provide for basic infrastructure such as roads, enforce anti-trust laws, etc), the government shall not, under any circumstances whatsoever, invest in or loan money to companies in the private sector, or engage in economic activity whose primary motivation is to stimulate the economy (such as buying millions of widgets that it doesn't really need).

That ties to my second reason. The reason we want to stop the government from such activity is that it tends to be too little, too late. As we learned from Obama's brief seconds of candor a few months ago, there were no "shovel-ready jobs". To this day, there are still billions of dollars out of the original 2009 stimulus plan that have not been spent - and some of the money that has been spent never produced any jobs - they just added to the job backlog of some construction companies.

Here's a perfect example for all us airplane nuts - Let's say we wanted to "stimulate" the airplane manufacturing industry by subsidizing the sale of, (or buying outright) 1000 Boeing 777s and 737s. Boeing will say thank you very much, and will add the orders to their backlog, which will now be filled all the way to 2025. They probably will not be setting up new factories and hiring tons of new people.

And never mind the money that got thrown down the drain, like Solyndra. All keynesian stimulus really does is accentuate the economic cycle - it makes the troughs deeper, and might the highs higher, but at the cost of massive increases in public debt.

Keynesian stimulus should be disallowed, maybe even by Constitutional amendment. I believe that in the long run, an economy which does not enjoy such "stimulation" will still have peaks and valleys, but they will be much less severe.

Herman Cain has some interesting ideas,
but the following statement is complete BS in a world of Free Trade, Oil, and Offshoring,

3.Measurements must be dependable.
◦A dollar must always be a dollar just as an hour is always 60 minutes.
◦Sound money is crucial for prosperity

Let's remember that Herman Cain once was a member of the Board of Directors at the Federal Reserve, including 2 years as Chairman. He does know something about monetary policy. Can you expand on your reasons for calling his ideas BS, or were those just drive-by shootings?

casinterest

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 33):
In spite of what the Left has tried to convince people, the GOP is a Big Tent party, with a wide variety of stands. Hence the whole primary process.

the whole Political spectrum is a tent. The GOP though and tea party especially have a problem with trying to define what a GOP member is and isn't. Then label everything outside of it as Left. Also left to right is very 2 dimmensional for Polical parties that encompass multiple issues, social and economic. it becomes problematic for the GOP when they label 70-75% as left and then alienate folks that might very well agree on critical issues.

Aside from pursuing those duties that a government is mandated to do (defend the country, enforce laws in an equitable fashion, provide for basic infrastructure such as roads, enforce anti-trust laws, etc), the government shall not, under any circumstances whatsoever, invest in or loan money to companies in the private sector, or engage in economic activity whose primary motivation is to stimulate the economy (such as buying millions of widgets that it doesn't really need).

I disagree, the markets are not just driven by Mathematical issues and balance problems, but by emotional short term distress, Could you imagine how bad the economy and budget would have gotten had the stimulus not been done?

Remember 1929?

And never mind the money that got thrown down the drain, like Solyndra. All keynesian stimulus really does is accentuate the economic cycle - it makes the troughs deeper, and might the highs higher, but at the cost of massive increases in public debt.

It doesn't make the trough deeper, it makes it shallower, and that is the plan.

It would work if Congress would stick to tax plans and predictable spending patterns. If you are going to launch a war that costs X, you need Revenue to offset it or cuts to other programs. Our governemnt hasn't attempted to balance it's most basic issues of funding in the last 30 year.

A dollar is not a dollar . Especially when it is supposed to float freely in a world market. The recent European meltdown and oil prices have proven that

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):
There's a difference between that and changing your vote from another candidate just because of race. Those people who it mattered to probably weren't going to be voting for McCain anyway - the black community has historically been strongly democratic.

True. I've seen both, however, which is my point originally (black Republican-leaning voting for Obama because he's black.)

[Edited 2011-09-26 12:30:23]

dxing

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 29):
It's a very simple bug.

Comonnn...you guys are kidding right? A.net have a bug? Nevvvverrrrrr........

Quoting casinterest (Reply 34):
Remember 1929?

Different scenario in one major area, back in 1929 you were able to buy much more on margin than today. That is what got so many in trouble, the margin call came due and they had nothing but worthless paper to their name, not to mention they had borrowed against that worthless paper. The only corelation to today would be the homeowner who borrowed up to 110% on his home only to see that appraised price fall by 20 or more percent leaving him 30 or more percent upside down in his loan.

Mir

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Keynesianism is fine - the problem with it now is that it was implemented too late. In order to make it really work, we would have had to have been shoring up the federal coffers during the pre-2007 boom (spending cuts and/or revenue increases) so that when the economy did take a turn for the worse there was something there to dampen out the swing with. If one waits for the downturn to start trying to find something to dampen out the downturn with, you're fighting from behind.

The basic problem with this is that it requires a great deal of discipline on the part of government to do this. If fiscal stimulus (i.e. deficit spending) can help - even a little bit - when the economy is struggling, then shouldn't it help also when the economy is doing well? Let's say that a 5% (of GDP) stimulus package is worth 1% of the unemployment rate (a relationship which I doubt, but anyway...), What politician is going to resist having that 1% when times are good?

It's part discipline, but I'd argue that it's mostly a loss of long-term thinking in the country. Politicians don't just create policies in a vacuum - if there's no public support behind them, they won't stick with them. So if you really want to look at the lack of discipline, look at the public. I doubt that many people would stand for the government running a surplus during the good times (which is what Keynesianism requires) - they'd want that money returned to them via tax cuts or additional spending. And then they'll want even more money, on the hope that the economy can grow enough to make it back. And the politicians are all too happy to oblige, even if that sets the country on the road to a point where the economy can't grow enough, and the whole thing collapses into a big mess because people want as much as they can get now and aren't worried about what that means for the next few years down the road (and further than that).

A party that likes to brand some of its members as "in name only" doesn't strike me as one tolerant of a wide variety of viewpoints.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 35):
I've seen both, however

I'm sure such people exist, but they're by no means the majority, and thus it's not really right to make the generalization that the black community only voted for Obama because he's black (which you did). That's merely the other side of the "Republicans only hate Obama because he's black" coin that some on the left like to throw out, and it's just as wrong.

-Mir

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 37):
thus it's not really right to make the generalization that the black community only voted for Obama because he's black (which you did).

In my very first post I said:

I'm not making any generalizations
Quoting Mir (Reply 37):
I'm sure such people exist, but they're by no means the majority

I know, but there are quite a few and I was wondering about them. Doesn't matter, it's been covered already in earlier posts

Dreadnought

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 37):
Keynesianism is fine - the problem with it now is that it was implemented too late. In order to make it really work, we would have had to have been shoring up the federal coffers during the pre-2007 boom (spending cuts and/or revenue increases) so that when the economy did take a turn for the worse there was something there to dampen out the swing with. If one waits for the downturn to start trying to find something to dampen out the downturn with, you're fighting from behind.

Name a single Democrat - or a pregressive - or a Keynesian from either party, who advocated in 2006 or 2007 when things were rather peachy, for spending cuts so that we could shore up for the future. Remember that in 2006, we were looking at balancing the budget in just a couple more years.

I put it to you that no democracy can show that sort of discipline. Which you seem to agree with when you say:

Quoting Mir (Reply 37):
It's part discipline, but I'd argue that it's mostly a loss of long-term thinking in the country. Politicians don't just create policies in a vacuum - if there's no public support behind them, they won't stick with them. So if you really want to look at the lack of discipline, look at the public. I doubt that many people would stand for the government running a surplus during the good times (which is what Keynesianism requires) - they'd want that money returned to them via tax cuts or additional spending. And then they'll want even more money, on the hope that the economy can grow enough to make it back. And the politicians are all too happy to oblige, even if that sets the country on the road to a point where the economy can't grow enough, and the whole thing collapses into a big mess because people want as much as they can get now and aren't worried about what that means for the next few years down the road (and further than that).

So basically, Keynesianism would work fine in a benevolent dictatorship, where the government doesn't need to care about re-election, and can shore up reserves in boom-times and release them in a recession. You might be right.

So the choice for long term economic prosperity is Keynes/Dictatorship, or Free Market/Democracy. Mark me down for the latter.

Revelation

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 27):

Yeah I saw it with my own eyes. I know a lot of black people, thank you. I saw a bunch of instances on the news of black people voting for the first time in their lives just because Obama is black. They have freakin songs about having a black president. It DID matter to a lot of black citizens, might not be PC but that's just how it was. I come in this forum, ask a legitimate question without trying to incite anything, and you snap back acting like I'm accusing the whole black population for racism. But other posters have nicely answered my question, and I thank them. Please just don't reply back, you and people like you aren't worth my time.

Still a laughable statement. Just because you know "lots" of black people, just because you saw a news story showing "some" black people voted for Obama because he was black, you assert "much of the black vote went to Obama just because he was black"?

Sorry you don't have the strength of character to withdraw your words, instead you just put down people who call you on it.

As for racism, I won't toss that very explosive word around, but if someone posted that they weren't making any generalizations (disclaimer) but much of the white vote went to McCain just because he was white, what conclusion would the neutral observer draw about white people?

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 38):

And other kind people have told you:

Saying you're not making a generalization doesn't make it true.

casinterest

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 36):
Different scenario in one major area, back in 1929 you were able to buy much more on margin than today. That is what got so many in trouble, the margin call came due and they had nothing but worthless paper to their name, not to mention they had borrowed against that worthless paper. The only corelation to today would be the homeowner who borrowed up to 110% on his home only to see that appraised price fall by 20 or more percent leaving him 30 or more percent upside down in his loan.

But, the 1929 event itself was a trigger without the safeguards off today. it was a "Free Market" whim. Without the regulations of today, could you imagine what would have happened during the "Flash Crash" of 2010?

Margin calls would have been the least of the problems.

Free Markets are fully succeptible to manipulation and disaster without controls, and that is the point I was making about 1929 in regard to Dreadnought's assetion of Keynesian economic issues. You can't have an extreme. You need balance between regulated and free markets. Where that border is , has been defined over the years by disasters occurring at the edges.

Dreadnought

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 41):
Free Markets are fully succeptible to manipulation and disaster without controls, and that is the point I was making about 1929 in regard to Dreadnought's assetion of Keynesian economic issues. You can't have an extreme. You need balance between regulated and free markets

No question. But let's keep it real. How many pages of regulations are there regarding Wall Street? 10s of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? It's humungous. I would bet you that you could take any industry - banking, farming, whatever, take the thousands of pages of laws and regulations, and squeeze them down to maybe 5-10 pages of the really important stuff - AND THEN ENFORCE THEM.

Liberals like to talk about conservatives wanting to eliminate ALL regulations. Nothing is further from the truth. We want regulations that are simple, to the point, ensure safe, fair and competitive business practices, and don't require an army of lawyers and "compliance specialists" (yes, that is a new corporate role, in addition to finance, legal etc) to comply with. You just need high school English.

I watched an interview with a relatively small Wall Street investment firm. He apparently has offices on Wall Street, of course, and also London, Paris, Hong Kong, San Francisco and a half dozen other places. He claimed that his US federal Compliance department costs far more than the rent he pays all around the world. Sorry, but that's simply wrong. There is a point between the government providing justified oversight and regulation, and government just being needlessly anal and bureaucratic.

Mir

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 38):

And then you went on and made a generalization. You can disclaimer all you want, but if you're saying that much of the black vote went to Obama because he is black, that's a gross (and untrue) generalization.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 39):
So basically, Keynesianism would work fine in a benevolent dictatorship, where the government doesn't need to care about re-election, and can shore up reserves in boom-times and release them in a recession.

That would be one way for it to work. The other (and more preferable) way would be for people to use long-term thinking when deciding what policies the country should take. It's possible that that's unrealistic to expect. But if that is the case, then the free market system isn't going to work either, since free markets based off of short-term thinking are also doomed to eventually fail.

-Mir

Dreadnought

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
That would be one way for it to work. The other (and more preferable) way would be for people to use long-term thinking when deciding what policies the country should take. It's possible that that's unrealistic to expect

Democracy provides an incentive for politicians to entertain people's short term desires. "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years." This quote is attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler. In 1814, John Adams said "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
But if that is the case, then the free market system isn't going to work either, since free markets based off of short-term thinking are also doomed to eventually fail.

No. First of all, separate the two components, government and private industry. Private industry will take care of itself - for example a company that produces shoddy quality or too high prices compared to the competition will quickly go out of business, or fix itself. Government will still be in place to ensure basic regulations such as safety - Nobody is arguing to get of that.

A government properly restrained by a Constitution (you know - the one we USED to follow) would not directly get into things that will get them into trouble - namely income redistribution, insurance etc.

Look at Switzerland. It's been a democracy for over 700 years, has a free market, and does not have all the trouble we have - why? Because their federal government is severely limited by their constitution. They let the cantons (states) deal with most of the social programs etc, and that way you have competition between the states - a poorly run canton loses taxpayers, well run cantons gain them. Why can't we do that? Hell, the Swiss Constitution was based on the American one.

WarRI1

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:20 am

Quoting windy95 (Reply 24):
Started out of the gate quickly with your class warfare and rich envy on this one.

I would ask the questions, were pre-existing condiditions one of the Big problems for people who have them to obtain health insurance, adults and children? I cannot wait for your answer. Is not Cain wealthy, and able to pay for his own healthcare? He was a tad off when he said he would be dead, if under Obamacare. Does anyone think that when you have a cancer diagnosis such as he had, that you would be in the back of the line? Ridiculous! We also all know that his wealth most certainly gauranteed speedy and the best healthcare. Rich envy? I suggest you get a new line.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 26):
Wait, that means you would have to actually place some remote small piece of acknowledgement for something in the Bible

I would only be repeating a story, certainly not based on fact, but maybe blind faith. I would only be advocating using a tactic employed by the "right" to discredit Obama. I just watched a piece on Obama and the belief that he is the Anti-Christ, by some Bible Readers, or should I say Interpreters.

[Edited 2011-09-26 18:23:01]

MAH4546

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:45 am

That is not where this issue stands. Both sides are guilty of doing this(Birthers anyone? ) ,but it is not what will ultimately decide the race. This race will be based on the Economy and who has the clearest plan going forward for Medical Care and Jobs.

There is no race. The GOP nominee will win in 2012, and the GOP will takeover the Senate. It's already a given.
a.

WarRI1

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:46 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 46):
There is no race. The GOP nominee will win in 2012, and the GOP will takeover the Senate. It's already a given.

When the folks finally wake up to what that would entail, Republican control. I think that the given of which you speak, maybe not a given. One could end up with egg on ones face. Time will tell, as usual.

Superfly

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:21 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 46):

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The media is still very much in love with President Obama and very protective of him. The GOP candidate will not be a shoein even though Obama's numbers should be in the low 20s instead of the upper 30s.

Let's remember that Herman Cain once was a member of the Board of Directors at the Federal Reserve, including 2 years as Chairman. He does know something about monetary policy.

I didn't know that. The more I hear about Herman Cain, the more I like him. Although I'm not a fan of his religious views and I think Godfather's Pizza taste a bit stale.
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 40):
As for racism, I won't toss that very explosive word around, but if someone posted that they weren't making any generalizations (disclaimer) but much of the white vote went to McCain just because he was white, what conclusion would the neutral observer draw about white people?

I would agree. There is still much racism prevalent. Sorry I'm not PC enough for you.

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
You can disclaimer all you want, but if you're saying that much of the black vote went to Obama because he is black, that's a gross (and untrue) generalization.

Well I've seen it with my own eyes. Much does not mean most or even a significant majority. When you are talking about elections, even 1% is significant.

I'm not trying to pull the reverse race card. I've seen it done, it's as bad as the race card itself, and if it comes off like that, I'm sorry. I guess you can either believe me or not, I've got no reason to lie.