BAViscount
Topic Author

How Aware Are You Of Other A.netters?

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 am

I know it may seem like a totally random question, but I've just spent the last couple of hours looking at my old posts in TP&P (I was trying to find something that I could copy and paste to a recent thread) and got embroiled in reading stuff that I've posted since 2004 when I changed my username from andy_baker (from 2002) to BAViscount. One of the things I noticed was that a lot of the users that were around then and were replying to what I said, and to whose comments I was responding to are still around now.

It just made me wonder, how much of an impact do we make on each other? Some people will obviously make more of an impact than others, mainly because of how contentious or knowledgable they are, but then there are others who don't "stir the pot", but just say what they have to say and move on.

I know that there are groups of people that have become friends over the years - this has certainly become evident to me having attended a.net meets at LHR (or more specifically, the Green Man!), but aside from that, how aware are you of people that you've been interacting with for years?

Just curious! 
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

ShyFlyer

RE: How Aware Are You Of Other A.netters?

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:19 am

Well, yourself and LHRjc (I think) helped me understand the tube when I was over there. That was a gigantic impact on my life!

Then there was another member here that provided the motivation to start writing. There are a handful of now former members that have provided me with some valuable feedback on my writing as well.

I should also mention another former member who mailed me a set of metric screws to hang my TV when I had searched my city and came up empty handed.

I'm also involved in a little project of sorts with some former (and a few current) members.
I lift things up and put them down.

BAViscount
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
Well, yourself and LHRjc (I think) helped me understand the tube when I was over there. That was a gigantic impact on my life!

Ooh yeah, I seem to remember offering you advice on how to get from Wandsworth to the Green Man...happy that I made a difference!

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
I'm also involved in a little project of sorts with some former (and a few current) members.

Intriguing!  
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

mirrodie

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:56 am

I remain friends with a few local anetters, some of whom have broken bread in our home.

Many of us have come and gone, willfully or forcefully, yet we remain in contact, have even visited each other in different continents.

AS far as aware, just the other day we were running errands before an ensuing hurricane. Caught a familiar license plate that belonged to an Anetter. Guess we're pretty aware.  
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

sccutler

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:26 am

I have met a couple of A.net members, Superfly and TxAgKuwait. Good eggs, proud to know 'em.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Newark727

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:43 am

I've only ever met one. At SFO. Same day, same conditions, same cameras, his shots got accepted and mine didn't. He is now my mortal nemesis. [joke]

[Edited 2011-09-24 22:46:29]

jcs17

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:50 am

Not at all.

A.net isn't the place it used to be, to say the least.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Airstud

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:27 am

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 3):
broken bread

Ahem. Obey the rules.

Pancakes are delicious.

atrude777

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 am

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 3):
I remain friends with a few local anetters, some of whom have broken bread in our home.

and some who run into you at DFW Airport randomly!   LOL

I still can't believe how that worked out and wasn't even planned!

I am very aware of them, I have quite a few close friends from this website whom I hang out with in person quite often. I also have classmates on campus who post here (they know who they are!)

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

BNE

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:55 am

Quoting BAViscount (Thread starter):
I know it may seem like a totally random question, but I've just spent the last couple of hours looking at my old posts in TP&P (I was trying to find something that I could copy and paste to a recent thread) and got embroiled in reading stuff that I've posted since 2004 when I changed my username from andy_baker (from 2002) to BAViscount. One of the things I noticed was that a lot of the users that were around then and were replying to what I said, and to whose comments I was responding to are still around now.

Reflective mood eh, a few past and present a.net members I still talk to a fair bit over on Facebook. I don't know how you found the search engine on a.net I think that is one thing they could improve.

It just made me wonder, how much of an impact do we make on each other? Some people will obviously make more of an impact than others, mainly because of how contentious or knowledgable they are, but then there are others who don't "stir the pot", but just say what they have to say and move on.

Some have had a bigger impact on my thoughts than others, from what they have posted or said over the last few years, a few things have been said on non aviation or via PM that have changed my perspective.

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 6):
A.net isn't the place it used to be, to say the least.

It may not be the place it was 5 years ago, things and people change but I still find the place of interest and I have paid for First Class Membership. You get out of it what you put into it. There is quiet a few members I have met overseas I have met that I wouldn't have met because of a.net

Quoting sccutler (Reply 4):
I have met a couple of A.net members, Superfly and TxAgKuwait. Good eggs, proud to know 'em.

I think I have met about 20, and 2 have posted in this thread,
Why fly non stop when you can connect

connies4ever

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:07 am

Haven't met any A.netter face-to-face (to my ,knowledge) but I PM Baroque fairly regularly. We seems to have common ground on several political and military topics.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

vikkyvik

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:27 am

but aside from that, how aware are you of people that you've been interacting with for years?

Interesting question.

On a personal level, I've met a bunch of current and former A.netters (Mir, Aloges, CastleIsland/Logan22L, Superfly, KevinL1011, Logansgirl, Cadet57, LHMark, DXing, SaxDiva, Nicksair, AA**hvy (can never remember those numbers), possibly a few others) at a BOS meet, an LAX meet, and a Jeff Beck concert   .

Also on a personal level, I would likely never have gotten into photography had I not found this site back in 2002-2003 or so. So I'm eternally grateful for that. And the help of other photographers and the screeners in the AvPhoto and PhotoFeedback fora has been very, well, helpful, and much appreciated.

Even though I may not personally know others, it's always interesting to have brief glimpses into people's lives - especially those that have been here for some time.

And another major shout-out to the Tech/Ops crowd through the years - tdscanuck, starlionblue, david l, jetlagged, b747skipper, pihero, cxflyboy, zeke....that list goes on for quite awhile, and there's no way I would remember everyone.

Looking back on what I've written, I guess it's safe to say that A.net has played a significant role in my life in the last 10 years, and it still does.

Also interestingly enough, I found out last year that a rather well-known photographer here (or, at least, one whose name I've seen many times here) works with one of my good friends.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

CXB77L

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:55 am

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but as a regular on a.net chat (I'm usually on from about 1930-0000hrs GMT +8) I have become friends with quite a few of a.net's chat regulars who come on around that time, although I've never met anyone personally yet.

I think it's a pity that most a.net meets are on the other side of the world ... me being isolated here in PER makes it difficult for me to actually meet anyone face to face.
Boeing 777 fanboy

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

I sure have learned a lot & shared a few topics in Tech/Ops Forum.....
On the site....I have communicated with quite a few Anettters & Met some too.Thanks to Facebook this only Increased.

With time you know who are the people you can relate to...... 
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

wilco737

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:49 pm

It is a website and one leaves only a few people actually recognize it. I was very active in Forum and chat and then took a break of 1.5 years and I received 3 messages of people asking me where I was...

wilco737

baroque

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 10):
but I PM Baroque fairly regularly. We seems to have common ground on several political and military topics.

Confirmed (a Dalek tones!!). Would not miss Connies public and private comments for quids (and as I am writing this from the UK, Quids is the local currency!).

Two a.netters from the N Hemisphere have visited us in the wilds of Wollongong, bringing one might add NW European weather!!! But good company nevertheless.

Still correspond with the "late" Douggie Boy, if you take my drift, by Email. Poles apart on one issue but so interesting on so many others.

And best wishes to the numerous others I contact by the PM system - why PM and not IM I always wonder! Too complex to understand mayhap for such a simple soul.

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 14):
3 messages of people asking me where I was...

Depends on the extent of contact established too.....

Braniff747SP

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:21 pm

I enjoy A.net; one can learn a lot from certain members.

In terms of meeting members, I have at LAX.

I also talk to another once in a while via Y! Chat...
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

glid4500

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 17):
In terms of meeting members, I have at LAX.

haha lets not forget the time u spotted me driving the RTS through UCLA. Now that was funny !
http://www.facebook.com/ea90744

WindowSeat

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Some of my best friends are current/former A.netters. There comes a point when you move on from talking about just planes and become regular friends. Over the years, I've met many many A.netters (too many to name) across continents and some of them are now my closest friends. They have certainly made an impact on my life in more ways than one. I know I've made an impact in their lives. Also, fwiw, my partner is a former A.netter too.
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

Braniff747SP

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 am

Quoting glid4500 (Reply 18):
haha lets not forget the time u spotted me driving the RTS through UCLA. Now that was funny !

Ah, yes! Now that I would have liked to see inside of!

747400sp

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:50 am

I may have into some other A-netters, when visit my parents in Los Angeles and go to Imperial Hill.

jcs17

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:56 am

Quoting BNE (Reply 9):

It may not be the place it was 5 years ago, things and people change but I still find the place of interest and I have paid for First Class Membership. You get out of it what you put into it. There is quiet a few members I have met overseas I have met that I wouldn't have met because of a.net

Before a.net bowed to the PC Gods, this was a fun forum. We ripped on each other, ripped on every persons' numb-skulled ideas, and ripped on moderators. If it was in horribly bad taste it was deleted. Everything was all in good spirit. Non-Aviation should be a joke, it should be fun.

Why don't the ol'-schoolers post here? It's because everything was ruined.

-Waiting for my ban. -Josh
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

TSS

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:15 am

I was very active in Forum and chat and then took a break of 1.5 years and I received 3 messages of people asking me where I was...

I noticed your absence and wondered where you'd gone.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 16):
Depends on the extent of contact established too...

Exactly. Other than avidly reading Wilco737's well-informed posts in Tech/Ops and one very brief conversation in Chat, we had never had any direct correspondence.

Back to the topic at hand, there are a number of members here whose posts I look forward to reading, either because our opinions tend to be similar on many subjects, or because our opinions tend to be diametrically opposed on many subjects yet they state their case eloquently and allow me to see things from a different point of view without rancor, or because they are much more knowledgeable than I am and their posts are opportunities for me to learn, or simply because their posts are always good for a laugh.

[Edited 2011-09-26 00:16:57]
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

wilco737

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 16):
Depends on the extent of contact established too.....

Well, I was very active on a.net, as chat mod, forum mod, picture uploading, posting in forum, being in chat.

Quoting TSS (Reply 23):
I noticed your absence and wondered where you'd gone.

Long story, but I am back, so this is history 

wilco737

HT

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

took a break of 1.5 years and I received 3 messages of people asking me where I was...

And these 3 were too many or too few messages ... ?  
At least some of us had an understanding of what was going on.

how aware are you of people that you've been interacting with for years?

In case I get direct replies to any of my posts, I first read the answer and only check afterwards who has written the answer.
And, yes, I do take criticism to my point of view expressed differently if a) posted by some new member or if b) posted by some member who has been around for a prolonged period.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

wilco737

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 25):
And these 3 were too many or too few messages ... ?  
At least some of us had an understanding of what was going on.

Don't know  In the retrospective it was ok, then I didn't had to write so many replies why I left  

wilco737

mirrodie

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Quoting atrude777 (Reply 8):
and some who run into you at DFW Airport randomly!   LOL

Very small world. Even ran into former classmates halfway across the world in tahiti. I was between flights when atrude walked up to me and scared the crap out of me. Pretty funny to remember back!

Quoting BNE (Reply 9):
I don't know how you found the search engine on a.net I think that is one thing they could improve.

Yeah, amazing how things have evolved and yet the search function leaves lots to be desired.

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 22):
Before a.net bowed to the PC Gods, this was a fun forum. We ripped on each other, ripped on every persons' numb-skulled ideas, and ripped on moderators. If it was in horribly bad taste it was deleted. Everything was all in good spirit. Non-Aviation should be a joke, it should be fun.

Why don't the ol'-schoolers post here? It's because everything was ruined.

-Waiting for my ban. -Josh

You're right, it did get too PC. Moderating here was a balancing act that once required good faith, benefit of the doubt and working together with a good team of diverse individuals. You guys made it tough but fun.  
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Birdwatching

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I've been active on A.net since 2003 and I've met quite a bunch of A.net members in the real world, mostly at the various organized events.

One of them, PlymSpotter, has become a good friend as we both enjoy traveling and we've been to various places together, including Norway, Sweden, Ukraine, Moldova, Prague, Germany, Spain, Cornwall and most recently we almost went to Africa.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

sw733

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 pm

It just made me wonder, how much of an impact do we make on each other?

I hate you all

Except Superfly

ER757

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Met a bunch of fellow members a few years back when we had a meet in Seattle. I stay in touch with a couple of them. Met a pilot for HA through the site although he was heading the opposite direction (to SYD) the day I was flying back from HNL so he wasn't my driver. I've also met a few folks that work at Boeing since I'm in the SEA area and it's been beneficial as far as feeding my inner airplane geek. Gotten to have up close looks at lots of their "products" thanks to them. I've also learned a lot about aviation, airplanes and other subjects (labor relations, manufacturing in general, etc) over the years. If you avoid the trolls and stay out of the flame wars, the site can be good. For me, once I see the fanboys from either side taking over a thread, I move on.

cybergus

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 pm

I met a lot of them face to face back when the CCS-PMV meeting took place in 2007. It was great. I remain friends with all of them (some more than the other because of geographic reasons). It is great to have ppl that share the same crazy hobby as you.

Cheers
LAN Excellence in Flight

babybus

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, after all these years on here I can say that I realize that no one actually knows what they are talking about. We all have our own theories and interpretations.

That is a compliment as it means that anyone can join in and say what they want.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Braniff747SP

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 24):
Long story, but I am back, so this is history 

Trust me, I noticed... Glad you've been back now for some time.

safetyDemo

Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:33 am

I have been reading Airliners.net for almost 14 years now, and posting that whole time as well (under different user names). Some people I really enjoyed conversing with back then have moved on. Some new individuals whose posts I look forward to post regularly now.

I've made some very good friends along the way. Which might be another topic in and of itself - explaining to people how you met your friend from airliners.net!

I have, though, always wondered if someone from airliners.net was onboard my flight (I'm a flight attendant) and if so, would they be writing a Trip Report. Those are two milestones I have yet to knowingly cross!
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

TSS

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:06 am

Quoting safetyDemo (Reply 34):
I have, though, always wondered if someone from airliners.net was onboard my flight (I'm a flight attendant) and if so, would they be writing a Trip Report. Those are two milestones I have yet to knowingly cross!

Years ago, before this site became the property of it's current owners, there were always ads for Airliners.net T-shirts off to the side of the forum posts. I was on the verge of ordering a couple of them when the ads stopped appearing.
While wearing an Airliners.net T-shirt on a flight might be a somewhat un-subtle way to identify one's self to fellow A-netters in random situations, perhaps something a little less obvious like a small pin with the site logo on it could help us spot one another.

Quoting HT (Reply 25):
how aware are you of people that you've been interacting with for years?

In case I get direct replies to any of my posts, I first read the answer and only check afterwards who has written the answer.

I do the same thing. Also, when I'm quoting from someone else's post, I don't check from whom I got the quote until after I've entered my response.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

fbgdavidson

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 am

Compared to other aviation/frequent flyer fora I participate on I'm not nearly as active "offline" here.

I have met a few a.netters (though mostly because they post here and happen to post on other fora), and even had one sitting across from me on the same flight at the beginning of the year. We didn't know eachother but he came over and asked if I write for the site as he saw me taking what I thought was a stealthy picture...
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 am

Then theres always a picture on Facebook to the Username on Anet of a member....This helps in keeping in contact too.

steffenbn

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Funny... Just as i started to reading your post, some american guy came to me, and asked if i liked this website, he also uses this site to do some research and stuff. But he wasn't a First-Class Member!

Back To Topic!

There are always some people you remember more than others. Like FLY2HMO - for his non-lectural, topics/posts in the Non-AV forum

and the same people who always have to ask about the 757-Rebuilding /757NG stuff!! Or what about AS merging with Delta/United/Continental/SomeOther Airlines..

-Steffen Nielsen
A330, A319, 737,738,752,763,763ER,764ER,777-200LR

WindowSeat

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Quoting safetyDemo (Reply 34):
Which might be another topic in and of itself - explaining to people how you met your friend from airliners.net!

It's bad enough explaining how you met your friends on this site. Try explaining how you met your partner :P I met my partner on this website and when I say, we met online, they instantly think match.com or something of the sort. So we just say, we met through mutual friends now.
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

Curtisman

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:12 am

I've made some good friends on here that I've visited and still stay in touch with some.

One of my fondest memories was when a bunch of us from all over the world met for the 2005 Paris Air Show. A bunch of us stayed at the same hotel, we ate out together, did sightseeing together and of course did the Paris Air Show together.

Ahhh good times!
Citizen of the World

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am

This site has some very Intelligent people & some not so intelligent ones.....thats what makes it normal.  

N1120A

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm

I've met lots of people from A.net over the nearly 8 years I've been a member. Some in passing, but many that I consider personal friends to greater or lesser degrees. Sadly, due to a lot of the issues JCS17 talked about, some of the best aren't here anymore - and that is wrong.

Indeed, I talk to rather prominent current and former (mostly former) daily and count some among my best friends.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

sea2sky

Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:03 am

I have attended a few meets.. chatting with some VERY interesting people and still keep in touch with a bunch of them!! Some have hosted me in Europe and some talk to me on a daily basis! Its great talking to someone who shares the same passion as I do.. it can create such a great bond!

steex

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:07 am

I've not yet met anyone from a.net, and really only PMed a few people intermittently. I'm more of a fly on the wall most of the time. I'm sure circumstance will lead me to cross paths with someone at some point.

There are several members whose posts stand out to me and I tend to seek out their comments where applicable in a given thread. However, I tend to try to reserve comment for the few occasions where I'm at least somewhat informed on a discussion or have the ability to answer a question that nobody has yet, so I generally assume I'm not particularly recognized. I don't expect any different considering I've got only 800+ posts in over 4 years.

kiwiandrew

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 am

I used to be much more aware of other a.netters back when the site was run by a more, how shall I put it, user friendly administration. Sadly the site has changed a lot in character since it was sold to the current operators, and not for the better. A lot of the interesting posters have disappeared and I think those of us who have followed the site for a number of years know why... even if we dare not put it into writing for fear of a ban. I always harbour a hope that Johan will win the Euromillions and buy the site back, it would be nice to see it in the hands of someone who actually cares. Oh well, dreams are free. These days there are only a handful of regular posters who I pay much attention to, and only one who I interact with off site. As someone says in their signature ( apologies, I have forgotten who) "this game isn't as much fun as it used to be"

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 45):
A lot of the interesting posters have disappeared

True.....Thinking of it.....a lot of very Interesting people don't post here any more.......