Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747
Topic Author

Who's Watching "Pan Am" Tonight On ABC?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:47 am

Well, tonight is the debut showing of the TV series, "Pan Am" on ABC. I'm excited to watch, and particularly interested in how well they research aircraft, routes, and if they pay attention to aviation details. I will be very disappointed if they don't. So who's watching?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

sw733

RE: Who's Watching "Pan Am" Tonight On ABC?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 am

You couldn't pay me to watch what will likely be a terrible, terrible show for anyone who knows anything about aviation.

flymia

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:06 am

I will give it one shot. One of the executive producers was a former Pan Am FA. Also read in the Miami paper they did a lot of research in the Pan Am archives kept at the University of Miami. So we will see how they do. I am not expecting much.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ShyFlyer

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:10 am

I'll probably catch it online later this week. Ice Road Truckers is taking priority tonight.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 1):
likely be a terribl

From the previews it doesn't look too great. My expectations are low.
I lift things up and put them down.

IFlyTWA

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:15 am

I'll give it a shot tonight...
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

Cadet985

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:18 am

I'll give it a shot, but as soon as the show is over, I'll be interested to come here to read all the mistakes lol.

Marc

Moose135

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:20 am

I'll give it a try, if only to see what they used of the scenes they filmed with the DC-7 at FRG earlier this year.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 1):
...likely be a terrible, terrible show for anyone who knows anything about aviation.

It's not targeted to the average A.netter. To paraphrase the tag line from the old Sports Night show:

"It's about aviation. The same way Charlie's Angels was about law enforcement.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

GrahamHill

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:28 am

By the way, I saw last Friday in Montreal a woman with the Pan Am costume going into a van with people who seemed to be in a filming business. Any possibility that an episode might happen there? Or do they shoot interiors in the Montreal movie studios?
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

steeler83

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 am

I'm checked in, and awaiting departure for the 10 pm premier meself!  
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ltbewr

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 7):
By the way, I saw last Friday in Montreal a woman with the Pan Am costume going into a van with people who seemed to be in a filming business. Any possibility that an episode might happen there? Or do they shoot interiors in the Montreal movie studios?

Maybe they use Montreal for scenes that are supposed to look like Paris or some other European city. The producers may also use Canadian facilities to hold down production costs, critical for a 1 hr. drama.

I am afraid they will just push too much about the sex lives of the F/A's and a lot less about being authenic. I do hope they point out the USA politics as to Pan Am and place in that.

Okie

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 am

Interim report
Oh my, Snowglobe spotted  Wow!

Okie

Moose135

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:38 am

Quoting okie (Reply 10):
Oh my, Snowglobe spotted

I saw that - so obviously, someone from the show was checking out A.net to ensure accuracy!  

washingtonian

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:00 am

I enjoyed it! I noticed some authentic details, like Runway 31L at Idlewild. And the Pan Am building looked great!

Moose135

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:05 am

It was pretty good - a pilot episode (no pun intended) is always going to spend some time setting up the story and the characters, but they did a good job here. I didn't see any outrageously wrong aviation stuff, and the scenes from FRG were decent. In addition to the DC-7, the C-47 belongs to the American Airpower Museum, and was something of a bonus for the film crew. And the tower with the rotating beacon? I've been up there (and shot from there) many times!

I'll stick around for a while.

steeler83

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:09 am

Good show! My favorite part was where the sister became a run-away bride to work for Pan Am! Hilarious!!   
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Cadet985

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 am

I didn't notice any mistakes...looks like they did a good job with accuracy. Like Moose135, I think I'll be sticking around, too.

Marc

flymia

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:12 am

Not too bad. Guy looks a bit young to be a captain.
Local news here in Miami is having interviews with Pan Am FA's and Pilots from the 60s-80s on now talking about the show. They had a watch party at Pan Am Flight Academy in MIA. Pan Am is still a pretty big deal down here with so many former employees living in the Miami area.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

elbandgeek

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 am

Well I enjoyed it.
I know a lot of people were hyping it up to be like Mad Men but to me it felt more like 60s era Gossip Girl, which I am perfectly ok with (since GG is one of my favorite shows already). I'll definitely keep watching it.

Klima

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:28 am

I enjoyed it. I'll keep watching it.

I liked reading some of the comments about the show on its facebook fan page from former employees:

"There needs to be more smoking in the cabin. Flying back then was like sitting next to a camp fire..."

"3 weeks seniority and she's on a daytime New York-London flight..."

I guess you can't please everyone  

blink182

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 am

Really? Captain's first flight is on a brand new aircraft on IDL-LHR? I'm not a historian, but that doesn't seem right.
I would have thought that a first-time captain would have been flying the same DC-6 between Podunk and Pigsknuckle that he evacuated Cuba with .

Otherwise, I thought the show was a lot of fun to watch. I think the writers should throw in a lot of historical events eg. flights to the USSR and other special missions. Fictitious, yes, but could make for some great entertainment.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 16):
Not too bad. Guy looks a bit young to be a captain.

I thought the same thing. You would think that Pan Am would have put one of their most senior captains on the IDL-LHR run. Heck, that kid looks barely old enough to be a rookie flight engineer.

Also thanks to HD TV in one quick shot you could see the holes for piercings in the captains ear. I assure you, back in 1963 no Pan Am captain had ear piercings.

I think the show had the distinctive Aaron Spelling feel to it, which should assure a hit. I wonder if he had anything to do with it before he passed on? It kind of reminded me of the old Hotel show.

The show was definitely better than the reboot of Charlie's Angers. That sucked big time!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

washingtonian

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:43 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 16):
Local news here in Miami is having interviews with Pan Am FA's and Pilots from the 60s-80s on now talking about the show. They had a watch party at Pan Am Flight Academy in MIA. Pan Am is still a pretty big deal down here with so many former employees living in the Miami area.

Is there any way you could find a link for the rest of us? Or film it yourself and post to youtube or something?! Sorry to ask this, but it would be awesome if the rest of us could see it!

747400sp

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:46 am

I liked "Pan Am"! It had a good plot, but a 20 or 30 something years old captain flying a 707 in the early 60's for Pan Am, I don't know about that. I will keep watching this great show about a great airline.

FighterPilot

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:51 am

Saw the first episode, nothing spectacular. Probably won't watch it again.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

maxpower1954

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 am

Quoting moose135 (Reply 6):
It's about aviation. The same way Charlie's Angels was about law enforcement.

Or the same way "I Dream of Jeannie" was about the U.S. space program.

I had it on while I was working out in my shop, but I DVRd it so I could watch it closer later. The boy captain did seem a little jarring. In the real world, TWA did have a Convair 880 captain who was only 24 later in the 1960s. And of course that was a DC-7B (four-bladed props) not a DC-6 in the Havana scene, which no one in the target audience could care less about.

I thought the CGI was barely adequate - I guess the heavy smoke of a JT-4 would have been more than the budget allowed. The 707 cockpit and cabin looked the part, I thought. But all these techinical details are easily overlooked if it's a good show. Once I sit down and actually watch it I can make a judgement!

rwy04lga

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:27 am

I remember vividly that catwalk onto the aircraft. It was great seeing that.
Two thumbs up      
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

JFKPurser

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 am

FC lounge was in the complete wrong location -- it was always across from the forward galley -- not in the center of the cabin between FC and economy as depicted incorrectly. And JT4 powered 707s were no longer in production in '63, so this brand new Jet Clipper would have to have been a JT3D powered -321B or -321C.

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:43 am

We'll have to see all the mistakes when some a.nutter watches the show frame by frame and examines each for accuracy. Who know, they might find something like reversed nav lights on an aircraft!

A commentary from a former Pan Am stewardess:

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15...emembers-golden-age-of-flying.html
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

beeweel15

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:53 am

Quoting JFKPurser (Reply 26):
FC lounge was in the complete wrong location -- it was always across from the forward galley -- not in the center of the cabin between FC and economy as depicted incorrectly. And JT4 powered 707s were no longer in production in '63, so this brand new Jet Clipper would have to have been a JT3D powered -321B or -321C.

No matter it still brought back memories from back in the lat 60's when I first flew. I will watch this show. LETS SAVE THE ROTUNDA OF T3

maxpower1954

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:12 am

Nice article from the former PAA stewardess. I think the author (not her) made the mistake of thinking only Pan Am flew abroad. There was once a litltle airline called TWA, you see...

"Pan Am flight attendants were considered an elite class in particular because the of the airliners’ rigorous standards, both academically and appearance-wise, but also, because these women were the face of the only American flight carrier overseas at the time. It felt like, and was, a prestigious role, according to Milliken."

modernArt

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:21 am

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 29):
made the mistake of thinking only Pan Am flew abroad. There was once a litltle airline called TWA, you see...

..and another called Braniff, and one more named Northwest Orient.  

maxpower1954

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 20):
Also thanks to HD TV in one quick shot you could see the holes for piercings in the captains ear. I assure you, back in 1963 no Pan Am captain had ear piercings.

At my un-named airline, we had a 757 captain named Vondale Plunkett, I swear to God that was his name. I was his F/O once when he showed up for a trip with a pierced diamond earring. During the crew briefing the F/As couldn't take their eyes off that!

Once in the cockpit, he laughed and took it off - it was one of those magnetic type earrings - no hole required! A great guy and a hard act to follow but I'm doing my best...

milesrich

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 am

I noticed the DC-6 rather than DC-7 reference, which was kind of silly. They used the EAL DC-7B to shoot the outdoor shots and although the last scheduled MIA-HAV PA flights were operated with the DC-6B, some of the refugee flights were operated with the DC-7B's as I remember, so the dialogue was the thing that should have been changed. I loved the shots of the PA Rotunda at IDL and I thought the interior mockups of the DC-6B/DC-7B were very good as well. That certainly is not N836D, as that aircraft has NW DC-9-30 seats and no overheard racks. The only real problem I saw with the PA 707-321 mockup interior was the size of the over head "starlight" oval recessed lights, they are too small. All in all, a pretty good show. I hope it is as successful as Mad Men has been.

Squid

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 am

I think the Trans Global 707 cabin from the movie Airport was much more realistic that the 707 cabin in "Pan Am." Also did I see glass ware and glass bottles sitting out in the lounge during take-off? Also the lounge was in the wrong location. Also, I too took notice of the new Captain piloting a brand new 707 on their most prestigious run. And yes, the new 707 should have has JT3D's. Finally, weren’t most of Pan Am’s pursers men?

maxpower1954

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 am

Quoting ModernArt (Reply 30):
..and another called Braniff, and one more named Northwest Orient.

Of course.... I was thinking of Europe only which was goofy on my part. Which included National in 1970, but that's after the time frame in the article, I think.

Cadet985

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:07 am

You know, watching this show, I wish airlines would be more like this today. I mean on domestic airlines, you're lucky if you get a soda for free. I could probably count on one hand the number of F/A's I have seen that actually look like they're enjoying their jobs. You don't generally see this today, unless you're travelling on an international carrier where the service and everything is better.

Marc

ghifty

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:15 am

The show was surprisingly accurate, though I find it comical that the show ended with the PAA stewardesses boarding their next flight at Idlewild, when they should still have been in Rome.

The CGI was absolutely terrible, Fringe's pilot episode had the graphics in this show beaten to a pulp (with the poorly masked NWA 747).

Plot.. seems like Desperate Housewives: In the Air. Mad Men is still the best '60's "period" drama.

Quoting milesrich (Reply 32):
I hope it is as successful as Mad Men has been.

It will be, but because this show appeals to ABC's demographic, silly Drama. Mad Men is successful for an entirely different reason.. (oddly enough, Draper was offered a job with AA).

[Edited 2011-09-25 23:18:07]
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

bluejuice

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:30 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 35):

You know, watching this show, I wish airlines would be more like this today. I mean on domestic airlines, you're lucky if you get a soda for free. I could probably count on one hand the number of F/A's I have seen that actually look like they're enjoying their jobs. You don't generally see this today, unless you're travelling on an international carrier where the service and everything is better.

Airlines ticket prices were highly regulated by the CAB back in days portrayed by the show. Fares were insane compared to what we pay today. If a transcon today from JFK-LAX still costs $2,000 or more factored for inflation, flying would still be a luxury. Rather than fly on a plane, most people would still be "Riding the Dog" AKA the taking the Greyhound bus. While I do not doubt there are many unhappy cabin crew out there, the level of passenger courtesy has dropped significantly as well leading to some of the attitude. Most FAs like their job.

As an example, I flew a round trip US domestic transcon this week. My all in ticket price was $280 or $140 each way. That is the equivalent of $40 roundtrip back in 1963. My upgrade cleared into first class and I had a nice meal and a few drinks. I actually spent two hours in the galley chatting with the cabin crew. They were all happy and chipper despite deadheading 3 hours just to work the flight I was on. They all love their jobs and treated all the pax great. Sure none of them were under age 40 but I wasn't on the flight looking for a date.

As for the show, here is a screenshot I took and posted in another thread. So much for accuracy and attention to detail.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8533/panam.png
Not biased against vacuum flush.

BMI727

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 am

I haven't seen the show yet, but it's on the DVR. Frankly I'm tempering my expectations. The show could be a success and I hope that it is, but I think it could have been better.

In my opinion, they should have tried less to emulate Mad Men, simply using historical events as a backdrop, and done something more in the docudrama genre like Boardwalk Empire, which was adapted from a book. The real history of Pan Am is more than dramatic enough for a TV show (Jimmy Smits as Juan Trippe?).

And perhaps even better, someone should adapt Splash of Colors as a TV show or miniseries. The most difficult part might be convincing people that all the events and people were real.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Moose135

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 am

That certainly is not N836D, as that aircraft has NW DC-9-30 seats and no overheard racks.

They installed mocked-up overhead racks made of foam and wood in it for the filming at FRG. They may have done some filming in a fuselage mock up, but they absolutely used the real airplane for much of it.

airport1970

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 am

Quoting
Quoting blink182 (Reply 19):
first-time captain would have been flying the same DC-6 between Podunk and Pigsknuckle
You would think that Pan Am would have put one of their most senior captains on the IDL-LHR

.etc
History lesson... At the time Pan Am only flew international.

[Edited 2011-09-26 00:03:15]

[Edited 2011-09-26 00:05:12]

ghifty

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:05 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 38):
In my opinion, they should have tried less to emulate Mad Men, simply using historical events as a backdrop, and done something more in the docudrama genre like Boardwalk Empire, which was adapted from a book. The real history of Pan Am is more than dramatic enough for a TV show (Jimmy Smits as Juan Trippe?).

They did not even try to emulate Mad Men, and if they did it completely went under my radar. Mad Men is a show that on the outside, looks like nothing greater than the normal house-wife drama, but it has so many layers of intricacies (do not read as love triangles or romance) that it's not. Pan Am is just straight up Desperate Stewardesses.

I agree though.. I went into the show hoping for a "history" TV show. Forgetting that this is ABC we're talking about, I went out wishing AMC adapted Pan Am to Mad Men's story.. it would be cool to have one tributary episode.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

airport1970

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:15 am

Quoting Klima (Reply 18):

I liked reading some of the comments about the show on its facebook fan page from former employees:

lol
There are Pan Am Stewardesses from 1963 on facebook???!!!

[Edited 2011-09-26 00:16:18]

spacecadet

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:55 am

I thought the same thing. You would think that Pan Am would have put one of their most senior captains on the IDL-LHR run.

I think what some people here are forgetting is that this is a network TV drama. It is not a documentary, it is not a show about the history of Pan Am. It is a human drama with the 1960's and Pan Am as a backdrop.

Having a 65 year old pilot would clearly take him out of the running for having a romantic involvement with any of the stewardesses, and he's obviously got something going with Bridgette... who just happens to be a British spy.

On the other hand, I think some others here are giving the show short shrift by calling it "Desperate Stewardesses" - this was a pilot, which naturally serves as a character introduction episode, but even already there are quite a few historical references flying around that are clearly going to be part of the plot moving forward. I mean, we've got the Bay of Pigs not just being mentioned but actually shown, we've got two stewardesses acting as spies, one for the CIA and one for MI6, and we've got all sorts of Cold War references (both spoken and acted). This is not just going to be Desperate Housewives set in the air, unless we find out this season on Desperate Housewives that two of the residents of Wisteria Lane have really been spies all along and their entire relationship has been a sham.

This show is going to be, as I said in the earlier thread, a combination romance/Cold War spy thriller.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Tassieboy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:59 am

I would LOVE to watch it but I don't think it will be aired in Australia     

MAH4546

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:37 am

If Sony did not license aircraft intellectual propertly fom Boeing and the like, there has to be inaccuracies in plane design, or Sony risks violating the law. So I wouldn't expect anything perfect.

Quoting ghifty (Reply 36):
The CGI was absolutely terrible, Fringe's pilot episode had the graphics in this show beaten to a pulp (with the poorly masked NWA 747).

I agree. I enjoyed the show, but poor CGI.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 9):
Maybe they use Montreal for scenes that are supposed to look like Paris or some other European city. The producers may also use Canadian facilities to hold down production costs, critical for a 1 hr. drama.

So far, everything is shot in New York City, at Steiner Studios in Brooklyn. I know the producers did originally plan to spin the show to more locales, starting with Miami, if it succeeds.

I hope it is as successful as Mad Men has been

It won't last if its ratings were as low as Mad Men. It needs at least double the ratings - this is broadcast, not cable.

Quoting Tassieboy (Reply 44):

I would LOVE to watch it but I don't think it will be aired in Australia

Nine has picked up the broadcasting rights to the show in Australia.
a.

b737100

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 am

Like others, I thought the actor that played the captain was too young. The PA chief pilot flew the first B707 NYC to PAR if I'm not mistaken. The crew in "Come fly with me" looked pretty realistic and this show could have had the co-pilot play the romantic lead. As a gate agent, I would sometimes meet captains and tell them that if I worked in central casting and was requested to find an actor to play an airline captain, I would send them. We all had a good chuckle out of it. However, this is entertainment and certain liberties are taken. If ABC pays attention to the small details like "Madmen" does, I'll be pleased.

I was so excited to hear about the series and it was great to see all those things brought back to life and really enjoyed the show and wish it great sucess! The PA building looked great!

[Edited 2011-09-26 04:53:14]

[Edited 2011-09-26 04:54:17]

[Edited 2011-09-26 04:55:40]
Boeing 737 sunjet service

Okie

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 43):
This show is going to be, as I said in the earlier thread, a combination romance/Cold War spy thriller.

I believe you are correct, with Pan Am as the backdrop then there can be constant shifts in Captains, F/O's, F/E's, cabin crew, passengers to fit the drama, romance, spy thriller, destination. The possibilities are pretty endless.

So we have the ability to attract a lot of demographics.

GF likes it, so obviously Okie will have to relinquish the remote control for the Big Screen when it is on.

Okie

Jackbr

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 am

Purser (Lead FA) at L2 instead of L1.

Heh.

vhtje

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 pm

I enjoyed watching it. I particularly like the use of the Pan Am font on the credits - I thought that was a lovely touch.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.