Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luv2fly
Topic Author

Which Airline Brought American Hikers Home

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Curious as I have seen no mention who did the honors.
You can cut the irony with a knife

sw733

RE: Which Airline Brought American Hikers Home

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm

A lot of times, these "diplomatic rescues" of sorts use chartered private jets

gigneil

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:15 pm

They took an Omani military jet to Oman and a private jet home.

NS

COSPN

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 am

Who paid for that ????

US Tax dollars at work !!!!

wedgetail737

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:50 am

I believe they left Oman on a BA 777.

washingtonian

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:55 am

Pretty sure it was BA, and they flew into JFK.

gigneil

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:14 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 3):

Who paid for that ????

I'm extremely proud my tax dollars went to liberate illegally captured fellow citizens.

Anyone who isn't is not a real American.

NS

GQfluffy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:02 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 6):
I'm extremely proud my tax dollars went to liberate illegally captured fellow citizens.

Now you're saying the US can ignore another sovereign country's laws? They were stupid and they got caught whether they were doing anything illegal or not. I'm pissed we had to pay for them to come home, and if we really want to get in to a pissing match, I'm more American that you.
This isn't where I parked my car...

gizmonc

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 am

AMERICAN AIRLINES got THE HONORS:

per this article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/25/national/main20111332.shtml

gigneil

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 am

So wait.... They got caught not doing anything illegal, so we should have left them there?

NS

GQfluffy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:18 am

What makes these three more special than Amanda Knox?

gigneil

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:22 am

One is a murderer? The others were detained for being spies, but clearly were not.

We're totally off topic here... We seem to have the answer the poster was looking for.  Smile

NS

[Edited 2011-09-25 20:23:56]

etops1

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:10 am

Who paid for that ????

Sorry .(And mods, You can delete if you want ) But your a tool to even post that . Seriously . How would you like if it was you stuck over there ??? I just don't get people sometimes ..Geeez!!

kgaiflyer

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 3):
Who paid for that ????

I am seriously glad they are home and reunited with their families.

But . . .to the young life is a reality show. Do go hiking on the border between two warring countries.

And if something happens, scream "help me, help me" and the Marines will come and save you from yourselves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, are we sure they didn't return on a Vision Air 762?

(I'm told) V2 does that kind of work for the State Department, and as of last night one was missing from its stand at IAD.

GQfluffy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 11):
One is a murderer?

Then why is she in the midst of a retrial? Why is it every sane lawyer, judge, and legal scholar in the US of A say there's no proof she's involved yet still she remains over there? Huh, guess I can put on your hat and claim Italy is just doing this to stick it to an American much like Ahmadinejad did for two years.

jetjack74

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:36 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 9):
So wait.... They got caught not doing anything illegal, so we should have left them there?
Quoting etops1 (Reply 12):
Sorry .(And mods, You can delete if you want ) But your a tool to even post that . Seriously . How would you like if it was you stuck over there ??? I just don't get people sometimes ..Geeez!!

What bothers most people is, that these clowns were hiking, in a hostile region they really had no business being in. And while nobody knows how or why they were nabbed, they put themselves in danger and now, we have to pay for their stupidity. There are a million places in the world to hike, why did they have to go there? And furthermore, now these 3 fools will probably write a book about, and get paid for their story in the press. There are alot of people who believe the families of this group should be the ones shouldering the cost of them getting home.

I don't get people either. I don't get people who have no problem when our tax dollars are used to bargain to to get 3 idiots who went and GOT themselves into trouble. When people are taken hostage, through no fault of their own, then I have no problems with it. But if you or your kids go traipsing off to a hostile country, putting your own safety at risk, and you get captured, then you or your family should shoulder the cost.
Made from jets!

Max Q

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:00 am

Hey, lets go hiking, what about the Grand Canyon, Appalachian Trail, or the great Wall of China etc,

Are you kidding ?

Iran is where it's at..

[Edited 2011-09-25 22:13:12]

[Edited 2011-09-25 22:13:48]
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

dlramp4life

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:32 am

I give it a year until the book comes out....

jetjack74

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:00 am

Bollocks, you just think they're good-looking guys. If they were ugly, over-weight pigs, you wouldn't care one inkling about them.
Made from jets!

LAXintl

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:14 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 15):
What bothers most people is, that these clowns were hiking, in a hostile region they really had no business being in.
we have to pay for their stupidity.

And sadly these are not the first idiots, nor will be last ones that will end up on the wrong side of a border.

Remember those two women that ended up in North Korea couple years back?

Situation reminds me of these guys.

But if you or your kids go traipsing off to a hostile country, putting your own safety at risk, and you get captured, then you or your family should shoulder the cost.

Amen.

I hope any monies made by these two clowns goes back as restitution for all the work behind the scenes by the US and our foreign allies.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

B6JFKSEA

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 3):
Who paid for that ????

Who's to say that US Tax Dollars were used? I haven't seen anything in any newspaper article to indicate that tax dollars were used. Maybe American Airlines donated the seats.

COSPN

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 am

Hope they sell many books then they can repay Oman or the US Government, for 2 First Class one way tickets ....

People need to be responsible for their own actions, simple as that, I hope their Passports are Cancled untill they repay the Money...that is what they do to any other US Citizen that needs funds from the Govt to return home...

Passport is stamped "not valid for travel" untill you re-pay the state dept for your "loan"

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 9):
o wait.... They got caught not doing anything illegal, so we should have left them there?

Whether or not they were doing something illegal, of all the places to go hiking, why would you pick the Iraq-Iran border? That's just plain stupid and if tax dollars were spent, then it was an unnecessary spending and they should repay every cent.

IMO, they should have been left there for a little while longer. All they did was create more propaganda for the Iranian government where now they'll say how Iran is a peaceful and benevolent country that forgives its enemies as well.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

janmnastami

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 14):
Then why is she in the midst of a retrial?

Because in Italy the judicial system has three different grades: roughly speaking, trial > appeal > appeal to the Supreme Court.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 14):
Huh, guess I can put on your hat and claim Italy is just doing this to stick it to an American much like Ahmadinejad did for two years.

Sure, the fact that also an Ivorian citizen (Guede) and an Italian citizen (Sollecito) have been found guilty is a minor detail.

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 18):

Bollocks, you just think they're good-looking guys. If they were ugly, over-weight pigs, you wouldn't care one inkling about them.

I disagree with you, and I never saw what they look like... still think they're idiots though but they're still American citizens abroad in need

Stealthz

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 pm

And amongst the first statements they make on their return to the land of the free...

Quote:
''The irony is that Sarah, Josh, and I oppose US policies towards Iran which perpetuate this hostility.''
Quote:
''We do not believe that such human rights violations on the part of our government justify what has been done to us,'' Mr Bauer said. ''However, we do believe that these actions on the part of the US provide an excuse for other governments, including the government of Iran, to act in kind.''

My opinion is that they went there in the hope of causing an incident to further their agenda, didn't turn out the way they hoped, played the innocent abroad card until they were returned to where they(and others) have the freedom of speech and will now make all the political mileage they can from it!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

lychemsa

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Gignell:

Actually they consistently speak against America. I don't support using tax dollars to help them.

washingtonian

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Quoting GizmoNC (Reply 8):
AMERICAN AIRLINES got THE HONORS:

I'm still pretty sure it was British Airways. All the media was outside T7 at JFK. Perhaps somebody saw the American Airlines codeshare and the media ran with the "American Airlines" story.

Springbok747

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 pm

These idiots were extremely lucky. Who in their right mind goes "hiking" near a war-zone?!

Upon release one of these guys made a statement to the effect that he was now hoping for the release of all political prisoners around the world and in the United States. The State Department should see if the Iranians will take him back.
אני תומך בישראל

jetjack74

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 24):
still think they're idiots though but they're still American citizens abroad in need

I did too, and they should be served the bill for it. I'm not sure if what was written below is an accurate quote:

Quoting stealthz (Reply 25):
And amongst the first statements they make on their return to the land of the free...

Quote:
''The irony is that Sarah, Josh, and I oppose US policies towards Iran which perpetuate this hostility.''
Quote:
''We do not believe that such human rights violations on the part of our government justify what has been done to us,'' Mr Bauer said. ''However, we do believe that these actions on the part of the US provide an excuse for other governments, including the government of Iran, to act in kind.''

My opinion is that they went there in the hope of causing an incident to further their agenda, didn't turn out the way they hoped, played the innocent abroad card until they were returned to where they(and others) have the freedom of speech and will now make all the political mileage they can from it!

Well, if this is indeed an exact quote, then I hope they do something stupid like this again and get caught. And this time, their appeal to evil United States falls on deaf ears

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 28):
Who in their right mind goes "hiking" near a war-zone?!

They aren't in their right minds. It appears that an Omani prince may have shelled out the $500,000 for their release, and if that is the case, then I have absolutely no beef with their release

[Edited 2011-09-26 16:41:31]
Made from jets!

TheCommodore

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 29):
These little turds, crapping on their country. Well, I hope they do something stupid like this again and get caught again. And this time, their appeal to evil United States falls on deaf ears

Isn't this supposed to be the greatest thing about the U.S....   

Free speech ?

Not everyone will have the same opinion on things.

Obviously, with a statement like you made above, you don't agree ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

jetjack74

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 30):
Obviously, with a statement like you made above, you don't agree ?

I clarified my statement as I haven't been able to find a quote of them saying what was written above, so I tempered down my opinion until I can confirm that this is a verbatim quote

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 30):
Isn't this supposed to be the greatest thing about the U.S....   

Free speech ?

Yeah, it is. And here's my free speech, they're turds for doing what they did. I never said they didn't have the right to say what they want, but that doesn't I have to respectfully disagree.
Made from jets!

777way

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:52 am

I as a muslim and someone who would blend in would never venture into those places for a million dollars, infact I wouldnt even do that in my own country, what prompted these people to go? there have been cases of Americans having overstayed their visa and living in places in Pakistan that I have never even heard of till it was reported, and they're not spies either.

[Edited 2011-09-26 19:54:49]

willzzz88

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 am

It was probably a combined BA/AA oneWorld ticket from Muscat of Muscat-London LHR-New York JFK with the last trans-Atlantic (simple) leg flown by AA. First leg by BA.

BA still flies to Muscat correct!?

Or whatever, Oman Air flies daily.

It doesn't matter, simple commercial air ticket transaction...

sw733

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 33):
BA still flies to Muscat correct!?

Indeed, I used to frequent that flight and still take it once in a while, most recently this past summer. Currently a 777 via AUH

Type-Rated

Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 am

What bothers most people is, that these clowns were hiking, in a hostile region they really had no business being in

Some people think that if they follow the rules it'll kill them. They are one step out of synch with the rest of the world.

What was their reason for being there in the first place?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jetjack74

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:06 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 35):
What was their reason for being there in the first place?

No sane person on earth can come up with a reason. These fools were probably exposed to Iranian troops by Iranian sympathizers in villages along they stayed in along their hike and probably were just waiting for them. Iranians cross the borders between Iraq and Iran all the time and just look for people to take hostage. It's happens with missionaries frequently in South America, Africa. They're warned not to go by the State Dept, and they go anyway, and they get grabbed. Sometimes it turns into international incidents, and some are unknown. It all depends on how influential the captors are and their motives. I can't imagine what people in Iran are probably thinking, that this trio is a bunch of douché-bags for running around out there, places where regular Iranians won't go.

[Edited 2011-09-27 22:07:05]
Made from jets!

3DoorsDown

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:18 am

I'm totally amazed anyone with half a brain would go do something as stupid as hiking in that area. If our tax dollars did pay their ransom, then the two amigos and one chickydee needs to pay it back. Perhaps take that Cal- Berkeley Liberal Arts Degree and get a job. Oh wait..

Quoting gigneil (Reply 11):
The others were detained for being spies, but clearly were not.

Clearly? I would suspect all three were spies.

Quoting etops1 (Reply 12):

Most normal people would not be stupid enough to hike over there.

they put themselves in danger and now, we have to pay for their stupidity.

BINGO!!!