Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trav110
Topic Author

What Is Your Biggest Irrational Fear?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 am

So I just finished watching the movie Poseidon and reflecting on the horrific nature of being trapped inside a sinking vessel in the middle of the ocean. It got me thinking about how I would never, ever, under any circumstances, ride a boat or ship into open water. I am convinced that as soon as land disappeared over the horizon that something terrible would happen causing me to either drown or become shipwrecked. I realize that a vast majority of ocean going vessels make it back in one piece with everyone on board, but I don't care.

So, what are some of your irrational fears? This should be interesting  

san747

RE: What Is Your Biggest Irrational Fear?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 am

For me, probably death and earthquakes. I live in SoCal and have experienced earthquakes, but at least once a day, I'll feel a sense of earthquake "vertigo" where I feel like something is about to happen and will even "feel" movement beneath me. As for death in general, the finality of death and the fact I have no idea when it will come really gets to me.
Scotty doesn't know...

fr8mech

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:54 am

My irrational fear also has to do with water.

I have no fear of the open ocean, but put me in the water next to a large vessel (ship, large boat, etc) and I get all wadded up. I don't know what it is. I have no problem next to small craft, but large craft....scary.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

trav110
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 1):
I'll feel a sense of earthquake "vertigo"

It's strange how your mind can sometimes play tricks on you... Kind of like when you swear your phone just vibrated, when nothing actually happened.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 2):

Yeah... getting diced up by a giant underwater propeller would surely ruin your day  

[Edited 2011-10-04 23:59:00]

[Edited 2011-10-04 23:59:57]

fr8mech

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 am

Quoting trav110 (Reply 3):
Yeah... getting diced up by a giant underwater propeller would surely ruin your day

It's not the prop...it's the mass of the vessel. A massive wall in the water extending up an own. Though, I don't have a problem when I dove a reef wall or anything like that.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

travelavnut

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 am

Wasps, not spiders, not bees, no other flying insects, but wasps scare the living daylight out of me. I'm not allergic, only been stung a handfull times when I was younger. But for some reason these $%^#$% insects always make me do the funny dance, doesn't matter if I'm chilling on my balcony or on a full terrace with friends, I will run, jump, dance and generally look really scared.

I have no fear of the open ocean, but put me in the water next to a large vessel (ship, large boat, etc) and I get all wadded up. I don't know what it is. I have no problem next to small craft, but large craft....scary.

For some reason I know exactly what you mean!
Live From Amsterdam!

wukka

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 am

Blood pressure cuff (sphygmo). Period. I hit stroke numbers at the doc's office, even with a benzo.

...and I'm a Nurse. Talk about a pathetic whitecoat hypertensive. You're lookin' at him.

I have no clue why, but it happens. I can feel my kidneys pound. I know it, I realize it, I try to rationalize it, but I can't.

Sucks balls. How's that for irrational?
We can agree to disagree.

aero145

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 am

Mine is beeing sucked blood out of, especially unknowingly, by mites, or flies (insects of the Diptera family) such as the “horse flies” and the mosquitos – other flying insects, or insects at that, do not bother me, neither do spiders: actually I like knowing to have spiders around because they ensure that at least some of the flies will be eaten.

flyAUA

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 am

Jellyfish!   

I am terrified of them, and if I ever spot one in water, I go hysterical  
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 am

Probably Loniliness.....Nothing else.....
I Hate the thought of being all alone one day......
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

trav110
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 am

Quoting wukka (Reply 6):

I know what you mean. Those sit-down blood pressure cuffs at pharmacies can be uncomfortable

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 8):

Jellyfish are awful. When I was a kid I went on vacation with the family (can't recall where) and made the surprising discovery that even dead jelly fish washed up on the beach can still sting the hell out of you. I only made that mistake once  

Charlienoble

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:08 am

SHARKS are my irrational fear. Even swimming in a pool by myself my imagination takes off. I think I saw JAWS when I was too young or something.

It may also be linked to some kind of aquatic agoraphobia because the big open deep end of a pool is frightening to me when I look underwater, even though I am a very good swimmer.
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

Boeing744

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Not really a fear, per se, but I have an irrational dislike of all shellfish, only if I can see the shell. I'll eat clam chowder, or something with shrimp or crab in it if it is in a soup or sushi, as long as I cannot see the shell. I even enjoy it. If I can see the shell, it repulses me.

To be fair, I do find the actual animals themselves - lobsters, crabs, etc - quite nasty, but I am not terrified of them. You would be hard pressed to get me to touch one (clams are fine), but I can at least be near them.

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I only have one: Relationships.

It's not like I can't talk to women or that I tremble in fear when I see them, but I've had some life scarring experiences with several psychobitches, specially when a certain bitch decided that the correct response to me politely telling her we should go our own separate ways was to lock me up in her room and proceed to beat the shit out of me to a point where I damn near had to go to the hospital. It's made me so paranoid that even when I come across what surely is a real sweetheart I just don't want to put up with the bullshit anymore. At my current rate I don't think I'll ever find anyone worth reproducing with and marrying.

I've come across a few girls since then (about two years ago since I got mauled) where I hit it off pretty well with, but I just put little to no effort whatsoever on furthering a relationship. I just don't want to bother unless it's blatantly obvious we're both extremely into each other from the start, which never happens. And I guess it's irrational because relationships have to be cultivated, or so the "Experts" say  

Anyways, part of me is pretty damn happy to be single and not put up with the drama of a relationship, but the other side of me really misses waking up next to a cute face every morning and having somebody to cuddle with (as lame as that sounds).

[Edited 2011-10-05 07:35:39]

desertjets

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Needles.

I had to have a tetanus shot a few years back when I returned to grad school, what should have been a 5 minute affair at the doctor's office ended up taking about an hour as I turned white as a ghost even before the needle was out. To her credit the nurse was really great and patient with me. I still feel bad that I didn't send a little note to the medical director thanking her.

It also kept me away from the dentist's office for too long a time. To the point that I had two basically broken teeth, turned out the worst part was just the sitting in the chair forever while the dentist worked (root canal and crown prep) and then paying the bill afterwards.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Quoting trav110 (Thread starter):

I have a fear of irrational fears...
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

travelavnut

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 15):
Quoting trav110 (Thread starter):

I have a fear of irrational fears...

Thank you, now I fear the onset of fear of irritational fears  Wow!
Live From Amsterdam!

FingerLakerAv8r

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:07 pm

The Ocean. Too many sharks, jellyfish, stingrays, ugly poisonous critters...... *shiver* And how about those deep sea fish with the big nasty teeth that GLOW. *shiver*

You can go surfing or swimming. My margarita on the beach under a umbrella won't consume me whole.

ALTF4

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:45 pm

lots of water-related ones. I would be totally freaked out in the water next to a huge ship as well. I don't even like getting on a motorboat from the back when the engine is off. Put me in or around any other huge mechanical something, and I don't mind. Similarly, I also don't like being in the deep end of a pool if there is a large-ish drain in the deep end. Freaky freaky.

I also hate being in front of other people. I've gotten better over the years, but the funny thing is I play an instrument and compete - and that involves lots of public performances. I get violently nervous, so nervous, in fact, that I have thought about getting beta blockers.

I'm not even scared of failure when I'm playing, either - I'm scared that I will be so nervous I can't breathe steadily (I play a wind instrument) - and the nerves make me start breathing quickly, and then it just goes downhill. The only reason I get nervous to start with is that I'm nervous I will become nervous. Messed up, I know.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

TSS

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 13):
I've had some life scarring experiences with several psychobitches, specially when a certain bitch decided that the correct response to me politely telling her we should go our own separate ways was to lock me up in her room and proceed to beat the shit out of me to a point where I damn near had to go to the hospital.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... I have not heard you mention that particular episode before, and you're one of the members here whose posts I always make a point to read. After that experience, a fear of relationships is not only not irrational, it is in fact both prudent and justified.

Hmmm... irrational fears...
The only one I can think of for myself is black/dark water where you can't see the bottom. Not so much oceans and lakes, but smaller bodies. Years ago I worked at a place that had a paint booth with a water curtain to remove paint residue from the exhaust, and the booth's several hundred gallon reservoir (think giant bathtub about 3' x 3' x10' or so) used to creep me out something awful because it was painted black inside and had no apparent bottom.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DeltaMD90

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Open water. Me and my girlfriend swam around a pier off the beach, maybe only 50 meters to swim around it, but when we were that far out, the ocean under me terrified me, I don't know why. Put me in a dinky boat that far out I'd be fine, but being in the water that is dark like that over my head (by a lot)...  

ogre727

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Darkness... I am 35, not terribly dumb... not too uneducated (although maybe these things have nothing to do with anything), fairly rational-thinking... etc... but you put me in a basement with no light whatsover and I will curl into a fetal position, with my eyes closed, hands covering my eyes and sit there waiting to be rescued.
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

Dreadnought

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 20):
Open water. Me and my girlfriend swam around a pier off the beach, maybe only 50 meters to swim around it, but when we were that far out, the ocean under me terrified me, I don't know why. Put me in a dinky boat that far out I'd be fine, but being in the water that is dark like that over my head (by a lot)...

I remember getting that feeling some years ago when I was on a yacht between Charleston and Puerto Rico. We had fouled our prop (don't ask how) and I volunteered to help cut it loose. While I am an experienced scuba diver, I realized when I was in the water that unlike normal dives where you have the bottom 50-200 feet below you, we were now in something like 15,000 feet of water. It felt like walking along the parapet of a skyscraper rather than along the edge of the sidewalk.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:49 pm

put me in the water next to a large vessel (ship, large boat, etc) and I get all wadded up. I don't know what it is.
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 4):
's not the prop...it's the mass of the vessel. A massive wall in the water extending up an own

I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE. It's unreal - being in the water next to anything large (a dam, a pier, a large ship) just freaks me out.

My absolute worst irrational fear, though? Throwing up. Seriously, I'd rather have a broken arm. It absolutely terrifies me.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AM744

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Being bitten by a shark. I do go out and swim or snorkel in the sea, but not that much and when I do there´s always that irrational (probably NOT that much) fear in the back of my mind. I'm afraid of rats too. I wouldn´t want to confront one. They seem too big and aggressive to be considered mere 'bugs'.

Speedbird741

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Spiders. I repulse those things with such intensity that I am not even able to google pictures of tarantulas, for example. I just can't be in front of those images. I dance myself to hell if someone places a plastic spider on my shoulder, even if I am fully aware that it is plastic. Imagine how much I fear the real thing. It is becoming more serious and is now at a point that I am checking my entire dorm room with a lantern every time I go to bed.

Speedbird741
Boa noite Faro, Air Portugal 257 climbing flight level 340

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 19):
. I have not heard you mention that particular episode before,

I have very occasionally, not something I like to remember. What pissed me off even more is that I just had to sit there and take the beating, I was scared shitless and could have broken her skull if I really wanted to, but I still was cool enough to think that if I so much put a scratch on her, it was MY ass that would end up in jail, not hers, despite the fact she initiated it and it was totally unprovoked. Of course I would have no evidence to back it up and her being the crazy bitch she is I bet she would have invented some bullshit story about me trying to rape her or who knows what.

Doesn't help that society paints us guys as the abusers. Women don't ever do it, say the feminists. Ya right  Yeah sure And if I had gone to the police I probably would've just been laughed at and she would've gotten a slap in the wrist at best. So much for gender equality, feminists can rot in hell for all I care.     

[Edited 2011-10-05 12:24:59]

ER757

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 25):
Spiders. I repulse those things with such intensity that I am not even able to google pictures of tarantulas, for example.

Ditto that for me. Spiders freak me out.

Quoting san747 (Reply 1):
For me, probably death and earthquakes

I wouldn't consider fearing earthquakes irrational. Unless you obsess about them all the time. I live in an area prone to quakes and I do fear the "big one" but I don't let it change the way I live my life.

san747

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Quoting Speedbird741 (Reply 25):
Spiders

That reminded me of another one- any flying insect bigger than a bee. Large moths, junebugs, wasps, etc. all freak me the hell out if they fly near me. I will evacuate the room if one flies in, that's how bad it is.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 27):

I wouldn't consider fearing earthquakes irrational. Unless you obsess about them all the time. I live in an area prone to quakes and I do fear the "big one" but I don't let it change the way I live my life.

Yeah, I don't let it change my life, but I occasionally get really paranoid about it. Just happened about an hour ago when I was in class- someone slammed a door across the hall really hard and it made a loud rumble, and I had a mini-freakout for a few seconds.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 26):

Doesn't help that society paints us guys as the abusers. Women don't ever do it, say the feminists. Ya right Yeah sure And if I had gone to the police I probably would've just been laughed at and she would've gotten a slap in the wrist at best. So much for gender equality, feminists can rot in hell for all I care.

You're hanging around the wrong feminists then. Not saying I disagree with you about the cultural perception that only guys can be domestic abusers, but not all feminists are bitter and vengeful against men.
Scotty doesn't know...

GBLKD

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 pm

My irrational fear also has to do with water.

WHOA!!!!!!!

I have exactly the same fear. About the biggest vessel I can go anywhere near in the Isle Of Wight ferry (Wightlink that is, Red Funnel is too close to the liners and cargo ships for my liking). Even standing on the quayside I also get, as you put it "wadded up"

I used to work for a company that had contracts with Cunard and P&O to take people to Southampton. I used to hate it having to park the coach at the terminal that close to the liners. As soon as West Quay shopping centre came into view the colour would drain from me and I couldn't get the people and luggage off fast enough. I didn't last long in that job.

I'm now in the process of taking my class 1 HGV and really hope I never work for a firm or agency that gives me a ladder trailer and sends me off to Felixstowe to pull containers.

jetblueguy22

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Quoting desertjets (Reply 14):
Needles.

Yes.
I am also afraid of heights, I love flying and I trust planes, but something about bridges and roller coasters just freak me out. I know its weird but also breathing through my nose only. When I'm at the orthodontist and they tell me to do that I just start panicking, I have no idea why.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

ER757

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 30):
I am also afraid of heights,

While I have never had a fear of heights per se' (I used to be a roofer as a summer job in college) I remember riding in a glass elevator that went up a really tall hotel in Atlanta (The Marriott maybe) and I really got the creeps when we got up above all the surrounding buildings. I wasn't scared but just got this very weird sensation. I get a similar feeling when standing close to the edge of a cliff when I'm out hiking. Can be quite un-nerving.

vhqpa

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Mine are really bizarre

I get a fear from making outgoing telephone calls. If it's someone I know well like a close family member or a friend it's not a issue. But if I'm arranging a ebay pickup, ringing a business, calling a friend I haven't spoken to in a while or even calling extended family interstate I will often worry about what I'll say or how I'll be perceived. I'll often hesitate and put off calling them as long as I can although once I've actually spoken to the other person for a few seconds I can start to relax it's just the lead up and the hesitation that gets me. I'm not so bad anymore I will eventually make the call but five years ago my mother was seeing this guy who would tell me I was being irrational and would say things like "stop being stupid and just make the fucking telephone call" It made it worse it got to the point where I'd have a panic attack and someone else would have to make the call. Although incoming calls don't seem bother me. Although I can never can figure out how it came about. It's really ridiculous.

Also I had a minor accident in February where a truck rear ended me at the lights. Ever since then I get really uneasy driving around trucks, buses or other large vehicles. I'll even go as far as changing lanes if I'm approaching a set of lights and there is a truck in my lane further behind me.

My partner is deathly afraid of spiders once he woke in the middle of the night to find a largish huntsman (around 10 cm/4" in diameter) on the wall we woke up wanting me the kill it. The animal lover inside of me couldn't kill it so I spent half an hour looking for a suitable container+piece of cardboard and then chasing him along the wall so I could rescue it and put him back outside.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

flyAUA

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Quoting trav110 (Reply 10):
Jellyfish are awful. When I was a kid I went on vacation with the family (can't recall where) and made the surprising discovery that even dead jelly fish washed up on the beach can still sting the hell out of you. I only made that mistake once

Can totally understand you! I used to believe what the diving instructors said, until one day something went wrong. Now I question everything, as a matter of principle!
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

UAL747

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I have an irrational fear of turbulence. Way back in my childhood, I was in a private plane and we hit a gust front off of an Oklahoma storm and it felt like we hit a rock. Books and briefcases from the rear of the aircraft flew forward and hit the cockpit window it was so bad. My dad was flying the plane and we turned around and diverted.

Ever since then, when anything gets turbulent, my mind starts racing about as fast as my heart beats. I know that they are just "Bumps in the road" but I start thinking of crashes. It's particularly bad when I'm out over the ocean, say on a transpacific flight in a thunderstorm at night. I get quickly disoriented as it is black below and above with flashes of lightning. Flew LAX-SYD last year and it was the worst turbulence along the equator going south and I was just doing my best to grip the seat in front of me with sweaty palms. Those big 744 wings flapping about didn't help things. I know that nothing will happen, but I get really freaked out.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

DeltaMD90

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting vhqpa (Reply 32):
Also I had a minor accident in February where a truck rear ended me at the lights. Ever since then I get really uneasy driving around trucks, buses or other large vehicles. I'll even go as far as changing lanes if I'm approaching a set of lights and there is a truck in my lane further behind me.

I got rear ended a couple months ago, now my eyes are constantly in the rear view mirrors whenever I hit my breaks, and I always brake super gradually and have a bunch of emergency space in front of me when I come to complete stops. Not really a fear, just extreme paranoia

Springbok747

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Dogs, cats. pets in general. I am terrified of pets, especially dogs..and if I have to go to somebody's house who has a dog/car/pet monkey/whatever...I'll first ring them up and ask them to put the critter away..lock it up in the back or something. I've tried some therapy for this but nothing seems to work. I don't know where I got this fear from..I was never bitten by a dog or anything.

Open water. The thought of being stranded in the ocean is just terrifying.
אני תומך בישראל

babybus

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Same here. I have a terrible fear of the side of big boats.

Worst of all is a big boat out of the water, like a ship wreck or in dry dock. Just the thought makes me feel sick.

Is that big ship still on its side in Istanbul? I came across that one night and it freaked me out for months.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

RobertNL070

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Pteronophobia. The fear of feathers.

Many, many years ago - around 1966 - as a small child I was playing up in a local corner shop. To shut me up the proprietor of the shop pushed a feather-duster in my face. According to all accounts I went into a state of mild shock. I recovered rapidly but it left me with this trauma. Maybe not so irrational.

The funny thing is that while I am fond of birds and love to have them feeding in our gardens, I cannot abide their plumage and don't like them in my proximity.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

HorizonGirl

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 5):
Wasps, not spiders, not bees, no other flying insects, but wasps scare the living daylight out of me. I'm not allergic, only been stung a handfull times when I was younger. But for some reason these $%^#$% insects always make me do the funny dance, doesn't matter if I'm chilling on my balcony or on a full terrace with friends, I will run, jump, dance and generally look really scared.

Oh yeah, this is me all over. If a wasp even comes near me, I will run a mile. And it's not even that I think it's going to sting me, I just can't stand them them. Here's a fun story. The other day. I accidentally left the window open a crack when a light was on in my room when it was dark out. I come back 30 minutes later, and to my horror, there were FIVE wasps flying around in there! I swear nearly had a heart attack. They were caught and let free unharmed, but I will never leave the window open in my room again! Ever!   

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 26):
Doesn't help that society paints us guys as the abusers. Women don't ever do it, say the feminists. Ya right

While I don't entirely agree with your point about feminists, that is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard. Sure, male on female abuse tends to be more frequent, but how does that mean that cases should be less believable when it's the other way around? Quite a disgusting display of sexism if you ask me.

Now for my strange irrational fear? I hate garbage disposals! I hate, hate, HATE them!!! This is probably because at one point in time, I had a crippling fear of germs, and nothing bothered me more than drains. I would actually become sick whenever I had to do anything involving a sink. My other greatest fear? Rotten food. Garbage disposals create the potential to combine the two. I have come miles in my germ phobias, but garbage disposals still one thing I can not stand in any way.

Unrelated to germs, and slightly more rational, is my fear of electricity. For some reason, I seem to attract electricity and get shocks often. I'm not talking about static shocks either. If there is an uncovered live wire, I will not want to be in the same room as it. The sound of electrical buzzing makes me very uneasy as well. I also took Electronics when I was in high school. I got an A, and it was actually my favorite course. My teacher said I could have a career in the field, which I think is hilarious.  

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

comorin

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 13):
Anyways, part of me is pretty damn happy to be single and not put up with the drama of a relationship, but the other side of me really misses waking up next to a cute face every morning and having somebody to cuddle with

Very well put! Don't worry, the human mind tends to forget the painful past, and hopefully your genes and hormones will drive you into the arms of someone really worth cuddling!

Son, you have some advise:

1. Stay away from lookers. Watch same face 24x7 forever is long time. Person also watch her own face 24x7.

2. Beautiful is one who like you.

3. Big mistake for cuddle is Regan form 'The Exorcist'.

4. Settle in career, then they come for you, even if you ugly.

5. Better single than miserable.

Airport

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 pm

My irrational fears?

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 5):

I am exactly the same way. Word for word.

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 17):
The Ocean. Too many sharks, jellyfish, stingrays, ugly poisonous critters...... *shiver* And how about those deep sea fish with the big nasty teeth that GLOW. *shiver*

Yep, same here.

This is going to sound weird, but I have a fear of looking through a telescope and off into space. It's really bizarre because I love astronomy and I love looking at photos of astronomical objects, but when it comes to actually looking through a telescope, I just get this incredible sense of vertigo. It's not because I'm afraid I'll see a UFO or something I shouldn't see, but more because it's so incomprehensibly vast and huge, and something about that just terrifies me.

aloges

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:23 pm

being sentenced to jail or worse despite being innocent

Every time I read about a bunch of vengeful bastards murdering someone in the name of "justice" (i.e. a convict is put to death), I wonder if that'll be me one day. What if I got framed as an easy scapegoat with little access to legal defence in a foreign country? What if I rubbed e.g. a bureaucrat in a dictatorship the wrong way and was sentenced to death within 15 minutes? What if someone clandestinely used me as a drug mule and customs surprised me by finding the "cargo" in my luggage?

I know that all of these scenarios are pretty unlikely to occur, but as long as judicial murder is legal in various parts of the world that I might visit at some point, the underlying fear will remain.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BAViscount

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I have no fear of the open ocean, but put me in the water next to a large vessel (ship, large boat, etc) and I get all wadded up.
Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 18):
I would be totally freaked out in the water next to a huge ship as well.
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 23):
I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE. It's unreal - being in the water next to anything large (a dam, a pier, a large ship) just freaks me out.
Quoting GBLKD (Reply 29):
I have exactly the same fear. About the biggest vessel I can go anywhere near in the Isle Of Wight ferry (Wightlink that is, Red Funnel is too close to the liners and cargo ships for my liking).
Quoting Babybus (Reply 37):
Same here. I have a terrible fear of the side of big boats.

Wow!! I'm amazed that so many people have that fear, I thought it was just me (oh, and as I found out years later, my Mother too!).

I discovered that I had a fear of being next to large ships when my Dad, sister and I did a boat tour of the naval dockyards down in Plymouth, Devon back when I was about 15 years old. We were on a pretty small boat (probably held 20 people, tops) and I just remember having a feeling of total fear and dread as we approached a massive aircraft carrier that happened to be in port at the time. I totally freaked out and just wanted to get off the boat ASAP. My Dad, who had been in the Navy in his youth, thought it was funny, but I just couldn't describe to him what I was feeling and why it was bothering me so much.

Eight years later I was on a boat tour of the River Fal in Falmouth, Cornwall with my Mother and various other family members. All was fine until we headed up a tributory of the Fal which they seemed to use for storing ships, cross-channel ferries etc. that weren't in use at the time. It was totally unexpected and as usual I had a feeling of total anxiety as we got closer and closer to those massive ships. But then I noticed that my Mother had suddenly gone as white as a ghost and very quiet. When I asked her what was wrong she confessed to not wanting to go any closer to the ships as they scared her to death!!

The strange thing is, I'm fine being next to them when I'm on dry land, just not when I'm on the water.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

HorizonGirl

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 41):
This is going to sound weird, but I have a fear of looking through a telescope and off into space. It's really bizarre because I love astronomy and I love looking at photos of astronomical objects, but when it comes to actually looking through a telescope, I just get this incredible sense of vertigo. It's not because I'm afraid I'll see a UFO or something I shouldn't see, but more because it's so incomprehensibly vast and huge, and something about that just terrifies me.

I nearly forgot about this one! Back when I lived in Newfoundland, we used to live in a place where there was almost zero light from the city, and the level of detail in which you could see the stars was incredible. I used to love looking up and being able to see every little thing in the sky, but I could only stand to do so for a very short period of time before I would become uneasy. It's just something about the sheer size of it all, and how little we understand about it, what is out there.. I can't quite find the words. Just thinking about taking a telescope out on one of those nights makes me feel a little queasy!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

fr8mech

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 am

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 44):
It's just something about the sheer size of it all, and how little we understand about it, what is out there..
Total Perspective Vortex

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 43):
The strange thing is, I'm fine being next to them when I'm on dry land, just not when I'm on the water.

Same here. So long as I'm dry, I'm good. I don't ever recall it even being an issue when I'm on a smaller boat. Just when I'm in the water.

Charlienoble

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am

I'm amazed by how many people are terrified of big ships, that is absolutely a new one for me.

I also do not like the sensation of falling. I could never bungy jump, not because of a fear of injury, but the actual feeling of falling is very unpleasant. Same with high diving boards. I think it also has to do with having a lot of empty space under me.
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

AR385

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:20 am

I have an irrational fear of butterflies. Can´t explain it. I don´t remember being traumatized by one as a child. They don´t sting, they´re pretty, they´re important in nature but I hate them. They scare me and I can´t stand the yearly Monarch Butterfly migration that passes through my city, for example. If I let a window open and one gets in, the room is off limits to me until someone comes an takes the thing away. Sort of lame, but then, it wouldn´t be a phobia I suppose.

Charlienoble

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 42):
being sentenced to jail or worse despite being innocent

Every time I read about a bunch of vengeful bastards murdering someone in the name of "justice" (i.e. a convict is put to death), I wonder if that'll be me one day. What if I got framed as an easy scapegoat with little access to legal defence in a foreign country? What if I rubbed e.g. a bureaucrat in a dictatorship the wrong way and was sentenced to death within 15 minutes? What if someone clandestinely used me as a drug mule and customs surprised me by finding the "cargo" in my luggage?

I know that all of these scenarios are pretty unlikely to occur, but as long as judicial murder is legal in various parts of the world that I might visit at some point, the underlying fear will remain.

I think this is a pretty rational fear, not a phobia!

fr8mech

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 am

Quoting CharlieNoble (Reply 46):
I'm amazed by how many people are terrified of big ships,

For me, it's not the a fear of the ship, it is a fear of being in the water next to the ship.