Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SomedayTrijet

RE: What Is Your Biggest Irrational Fear?

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 am

Mushrooms...  Wow!   

Especially the big and poisonous ones, makes me totally white and sweaty...
Flown on: ATR72-5, E190, E195, A319/20/21, A332/3, A380, 734/6/G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, 763ER/4ER, 772ER/LR, Q300, RJ100

PanHAM

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:52 am

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 8):
ellyfish!

I am terrified of them, and if I ever spot one in water, I go hysterical

I can't go hysterical because of jelly fish, first because I never do and secondly because I would lose face with my Chinese hosts. But I really don't like the stuff on my plate for dinner, never did. Thank God there's always a glass of Brandy or Whisky to wash it down.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Charlienoble

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 49):
Quoting CharlieNoble (Reply 46):
I'm amazed by how many people are terrified of big ships,

For me, it's not the a fear of the ship, it is a fear of being in the water next to the ship.

Roger - that makes sense.

On a side note, I took a cruise to the Bahamas once...when we were docking people were throwing coins in the water and these boys would dive in and grab them. Really talented guys...but one of them cut it close and almost got smashed between the hull and the pier. Being a human fender is not what you want to do!
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

CplKlinger

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:13 pm

I cannot stand water that I cannot see the bottom of. The idea of being out in the middle of the ocean on a boat is ok, but being in the water would petrify me. I can't even stand lakes with muddy water.

I also have a fear of falling. Not heights, but falling.

And strangely enough, answering machines/voicemail. I don't like talking to them, can't explain it. Often if I can't get a real person I just hang up.

RGElectra80

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 34):
I have an irrational fear of turbulence. Way back in my childhood, I was in a private plane and we hit a gust front off of an Oklahoma storm and it felt like we hit a rock. Books and briefcases from the rear of the aircraft flew forward and hit the cockpit window it was so bad. My dad was flying the plane and we turned around and diverted.

Ever since then, when anything gets turbulent, my mind starts racing about as fast as my heart beats. I know that they are just "Bumps in the road" but I start thinking of crashes. It's particularly bad when I'm out over the ocean, say on a transpacific flight in a thunderstorm at night. I get quickly disoriented as it is black below and above with flashes of lightning. Flew LAX-SYD last year and it was the worst turbulence along the equator going south and I was just doing my best to grip the seat in front of me with sweaty palms. Those big 744 wings flapping about didn't help things. I know that nothing will happen, but I get really freaked out.

UAL

Wow, me too! This exact reaction to a tee, though I have no clue where it originated as it was never a problem for me until two or three years ago. What has helped me is sitting by a window, preferably near the center of the plane but not necessarily over the wing (for the reason described above), so I can see some point of reference in the horizon and talk myself out of it.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

RGElectra80

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:51 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 13):

Normal relationships aren't dramatic. Sure, no one has a conflict-free relationship, but managing relationships with people who don't always share your views on any one particular issue is a part of life.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 am

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 55):
Normal relationships aren't dramatic. Sure, no one has a conflict-free relationship, but managing relationships with people who don't always share your views on any one particular issue is a part of life.

Control what you can & not get affect of what you cant control is the secret....
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MadameConcorde

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:59 am

None that I can really think of. I have pretty much become "Zen" with all the years...
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

flyAUA

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:55 am

Just though of another irrational fear because tomorrow is D-Day for me  

I am absolutely terrified of MRIs! I do not suffer from claustrophobia or anything, but put me in one of those tunnels with the belts strapping me down and the headphones and I start freaking out/hyperventilating.

Tomorrow I have another one, and I just inquired how far into the tunnel my head would be. Unfortunately my suspicious have proven correct and I will be right in the middle, which means I will not be able to see either openings and it will be a horrible 20 minutes again *shudders*
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

aloges

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 am

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 58):
Unfortunately my suspicious have proven correct and I will be right in the middle, which means I will not be able to see either openings and it will be a horrible 20 minutes again *shudders*

Perhaps they can give you a sedative.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

flyAUA

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 59):
Perhaps they can give you a sedative.

I don't like being dramatic! My friend works at the radiologists practice and is doing the MRI! She keeps saying "don't you dare hit the panic button and embarass me" LOL  
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

aerdingus

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Flies, like even small ones turn me into a screaming mess. I have more empathy for spiders.

Seaweed, if it touches off me in the sea or even on the ground.

Heights....even though I love flying & looking out the window @ fl370...the escalators in T2 @ DUB are so steep they have me more nervous than the flight.

Space. Yep when I was a kid I was terrified @ the thoughts of goin into space....luckily I think I'll be spared that due to intellectual/financial reasons  
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Molykote

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 2):
My irrational fear also has to do with water.

I have no fear of the open ocean, but put me in the water next to a large vessel (ship, large boat, etc) and I get all wadded up. I don't know what it is. I have no problem next to small craft, but large craft....scary.
Quoting travelavnut (Reply 5):
For some reason I know exactly what you mean!
Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 18):
lots of water-related ones. I would be totally freaked out in the water next to a huge ship as well. I don't even like getting on a motorboat from the back when the engine is off. Put me in or around any other huge mechanical something, and I don't mind.
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 23):
I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE. It's unreal - being in the water next to anything large (a dam, a pier, a large ship) just freaks me out.
Quoting GBLKD (Reply 29):
WHOA!!!!!!!

I have exactly the same fear. About the biggest vessel I can go anywhere near in the Isle Of Wight ferry (Wightlink that is, Red Funnel is too close to the liners and cargo ships for my liking). Even standing on the quayside I also get, as you put it "wadded up"
Quoting Babybus (Reply 37):
Same here. I have a terrible fear of the side of big boats.
Quoting BAViscount (Reply 43):
Wow!! I'm amazed that so many people have that fear, I thought it was just me (oh, and as I found out years later, my Mother too!).
Quoting CharlieNoble (Reply 46):
I'm amazed by how many people are terrified of big ships, that is absolutely a new one for me.
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 49):
For me, it's not the a fear of the ship, it is a fear of being in the water next to the ship.

Geez. I'm not alone.

I don't fear the ocean (love it in fact) or other instances where I'm awed by the magnitude of something. I also don't mind being on ships or any other boat. For me, I think it's that being beside a large ship, particularly at or in water level really drives home the massive physical domination that such an object has over a person. Even just being beside a ship on a pier, watching the mooring lines take up tension makes me realize the omnipotence (if you will) of the vessel beside me. Though I don't fear the ocean, being at or in water level probably adds to the sensation when the scale of the ocean comes into the equation at the same time.

Last October I jumped off a ship about ~2 miles off the coast of Buzios, Brazil. It was probably an 80-100ft boat but I had no issues at all (swimming beside it, climbing back onto it, etc). I think the very clear water may have helped in that it takes away some of the unknowns that I associate with a massive ocean liner of unknown tonnage/displacement hovering in murky water.

I also floated about while snorkeling near the German freighter Antilla off the coast of Aruba. No problems with this either.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Aloha717200

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:17 pm

I have a few...some of which I have no explanation for.

1. Death. The idea of dying petrifies the absolute crap out of me. Strangely enough, having this fear means I think about death often. I developed this one at an early age and it's continued through adulthood. I just can't get around the idea of being comfortable with death.

2. Heights. (To a degree). I'm OK being on tall buildings, bridges, etc...perfectly okay with flying, but if I walk out onto my balcony and look up at the sky, my body begins to panic. I don't emotionally panic, but all of my nerves tense up and my body braces, it's actually similar to having shooting pains go down your legs and butt. Everything tenses. If I look down, though, I'm fine. So I guess I'm afraid of being high up and unable to see the ground. Weird.

3. Darkness. No, I don't fear monsters or anything, but something about being in pitch black dark unnerves me. I think this is related to the heights fear...I need to be able to see where I stand in relation to my surroundings or I freak out.

4. Hot Air Balloons and other Large Objects: I once had an opportunity to ride a hot air balloon when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. As I approached it, I suddenly began shaking and crying and freaked the hell out. Never got to ride it, and came to find that standing near other large objects really scares me. I'm not afraid of aircraft, though, nor am I afraid of tall buildings. But some large monuments scare me, hot air balloons still unnerve me, and a few other random things. It really seems to be selective, I never know if I'll be afraid of a large object until I'm standing next to it.

5. Spiders: Yep, I do the dance when I see them as well. I never let them live i I can afford to. I don't check the house before bed though as one poster mentioned, but they freak me out and I hate them. That said, I'm still the one that rescues my fiancee from spiders.  

6. Pedestrians. I know this sounds weird, but I have a very valid reason. I pay attention to the road when I drive, but it seems to me that pedestrians and cyclists often are completely oblivious to their surroundings and tend to walk or ride into traffic at will, and expect me to be able to predict their moves. One time, one of these guys wasn't so lucky. He was riding his bicycle against traffic, on a blind corner, in the rain, and I turned onto the street just as he turned around the corner. He smacked into my car, flew over the hood, and got knocked unconscious. He survived, but at the time I was terrified that I'd killed him. Ever since then, I'm very suspicious of anyone walking or riding on the side of the road. Just yesterday I was about to make a left turn, and was waiting for someone to clear the crosswalk as they walked to the left side of the road. They reached the sidewalk and I made my turn, only to find that they began to cross the side street that I was turning onto without even waiting. I damn near hit them. And of course, they glared at me for being an "asshole". They don't realize that they need to keep their eyes open, too.

Seriously, I worry one of these days I'm going to kill one of these people, too focused on their iPods to worry about safety.

7. Open ocean. I never knew I had this fear until I stood on the beach in San Diego and looked out at the Pacific. It scared the crap out of me, all that open water with no landmark. A few years later, standing on the beach in Oregon, same thing happened. I still want to go on a cruise someday though, so I'm not sure how I'll react if I'm a boat in the middle of the ocean, considering the ocean scares me. And yes, I do worry about sharks and jellyfish as well but since I can't swim in the first place, I'm unlikely to meet them.

8. Strangers that approach me out of the blue. OK, this one is fairly rare. I love to meet new people and make friends. But when someone I've never met before suddenly comes up to me being sickly sweet and stuff, I immediately raise my guard. This comes from being conned a few times in my lifetime. I've developed a mistrust of strangers. If someone comes on too strong, I think they want to con or manipulate me somehow.

9. People walking behind me. Seriously, someone following closely behind me activates my fight response. I have been mugged before, so if someone follows behind me I'm mentally preparing for a fight. Fortunately I've only been mugged once in my life, but that alone is enough to keep you on your guard.

10. Airliners.net. You guys scare the hell out of me sometimes.   (nah, just kidding   )

Acheron

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Open Pool Reactors freak me out for some reason along with Fountains at night(or deep fountains) where you can't see where exactly the lamps are at.

Also these things
http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/monticello_dam_drain_glory_hole_usa4.jpg

ThrottleHold

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 am

Clowns.

They're all planning to kill me!

BNE

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 am

Quoting trav110 (Thread starter):
what are some of your irrational fears?

2 rational fears, they aren't irrational at all.  
Quoting flyAUA (Reply 8):
Jellyfish! I am terrified of them,
Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 9):
Probably Loniliness.....I Hate the thought of being all alone one day......
Why fly non stop when you can connect