mirrodie
Topic Author

IPhone Basics/use/app Recommendations

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:18 am

If you're an iPhone hater who's just going to drag this off topic, please stop reading now and save yourself some time and energy.

SInce our phones are near death,

and the timing was just there, we went and got those new iPhones.

Some background rant:

I have loved my Nokias. They were tough as nails and easy to maintain. PLus, I use a phone as a phone, so texting and music on a phone has never been a large part of its use. And to be honest, I was never really big on texting cuz I hate typing but with Siri, looks like I may be sending out more texts.

I've been pretty anti-smartphone.... In fact, I call them dumbphones simply because people allow themselves to become complete imbeciles with these things. I mean its one thing to have a tool and use it. Its another to have to rule your life, to the point it affects your driving and interpersonal skills.

That said, I am asking for advice. I think I should get some physical protection for the phone.

A-any recommendations on impact bearing covers?

B-What are some of the more useful apps (not games) that are out there to truly help one's life? (I know its too easy to list games and such, but trying to steer away from that.) For example, someone told me of apps that help translate, which could help my everyday work.

C- Oh, I have not added protection yet, but I can add Verizon protection or Applecare. Big difference there? Experiences?

Oh, BTW, to be blunt, I'm very big on family. I nearly blow my stack when I go to settings or outings and see parents with their face in a cell screen and not even looking at the best thing on earth, their kids!! Turn it off, imbeciles, there are moments in life being missed! I have always felt that such tech can take away from family (I saw it here when I moderated as well.)

Not to mention the problems it causes: A week ago, my daughter got a shiner from a kid in the playground in a red shirt. My daughter was screaming. Turns out the little guy in the red shirt was one of a PAIR of twins in matching shirts. And father, who was watching them, had his face in a screen. He finally looks up, hearing some commotion but without a clue.

[Edited 2011-10-07 19:39:04]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

jcs17

RE: IPhone Newbie

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 am

1. Don't get AT&T as your carrier, for the love of God.

2. See #1
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

N776AU

RE: IPhone Basics/use/app Recommendations

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:58 am

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
What are some of the more useful apps (not games) that are out there to truly help one's life?

Not a game or anything, but if you like radio "TuneIn Radio" is an amazing app. I know I have one show I love, and I record it when I'm in class and other such things.

Wikipedia is nice for quick references.

"Red Laser" is also amazing. When it scans a bar code it looks up prices from everywhere and display them. My clarinet professor had a book for me to get this semester, so I just scanned the bar code and ordered it on the spot.

Depending on your TV provider some of them have apps too. We have Comcast and I can change the channel or set the DVR on any TV in the house. Good if you forget to set something (or if you feel like messing with your family   )

Oh, and all the airline apps are pretty awesome too   

For example, someone told me of apps that help translate, which could help my everyday work.

I have the Google Translate app, but I don't know if that's what you're after or not. I'm sure either way there's something for you in that department.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

AI121

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:54 am

Go through online user guide to learn few shortcuts and tricks. Here's list of few apps you might like,

Pulse news (Great for reading news, blog articles, etc.)
Genius Scan (Scans and saves documents as pdf)
Dictionary.com
CamCard (Scans and Saves Business Cards)
Instagram (Great for photos)
dhRuv

spudsmac

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:11 am

we went and got those new iPhones

The new ones are not out yet.

lhr380

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:28 am

Imetar
Translator (I use it for basic translations at work now and then)
Flashlight (For those times U need a bright light)
Dropbox (Good app for sharing stuff and moving files around. Install in on your PC/Laptop and anything u put in the app u see anywhere else u have the app)
PlaneFinder (Must have app)
LiveATC
Airline apps (I have BA and AAs apps as well as the Heathrow Pro app)
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

UPS707

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:49 am

As far as protection, I have one name to mention.. Otterbox. I dropped my phone right before Christmas and of course it landed face down and the screen shattered into literally hundreds of pieces. I had seen others with Otterboxes and decided to go with one to avoid having to replace the screen again. Yes, they are bulky. Yes, they are heavy. But I have dropped it a few times again since then, and nothing.... not even a little scratch. They are expensive, but I got a great deal on mine on Amazon.

In addition to some of the apps already mentioned, the apps I use the most are:

Grocery IQ (Grocery list software... can sync between multiple devices and also up datable via the web)
Directv (allows me to set my DVR from anywhere when someone mentioned a show I have to watch)
My-Car (tracks auto expenses and gas mileage)
PingChat (free texting between iPhone/iPod/iPad and Android devices)
LiveATC (how could we forget that one   )

bookishaviator

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:58 am

Apps that I use most frequently and find particularly useful:

Instapaper -- saves webpages to read later/offline
Things -- for creating and managing to-do lists (great desktop app too if you have a Mac)
Consume -- usage monitor for different accounts (mobile phone, broadband, etc.), although I note it doesn't list as many US providers as it does Australian ones

any recommendations on impact bearing covers?

Not sure about impact bearing covers specifically, however Sena (www.senacases.com/) make some pretty awesome leather pouch cases for the iPhone. My current and previous iPhone are entirely scratch and shatter free despite being dropped on the floor and thrown around numerous times.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

Zkpilot

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Single most used app I use is: Whatsapp (txt,pxt,video,etc free using data/wifi)
Other communication apps are: Viber and Heytell along with Skype.
Converter+ is great (converts everything), Bump is ok too.
Healthwise I use: iMapmyrun, if you ski one of the best apps on the iPhone for anything is Ski Tracks,
Flixster is a movie app that ties in with Facebook etc speaking of Facebook is a must have app (even though it is slow).
VLC player plays videos etc that the iPhone doesn't always play.
Soundhound is great for working out the names of songs you hear.
Redlaser is great for shopping, the likes of Groupon have their own apps too.
Bigoven has lots of recipes etc
Cameraplus and iCropforfree are must haves.
Skyscanner and AviationABB are handy.
Nav Free have a range of maps that work like google maps without needing data and are good for in car nav etc.
Wifi finder is also handy.

Hope that helps!
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

Klaus

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:17 pm

and the timing was just there, we went and got those new iPhones.

Nice... I guess you've ordered them but haven't received them yet? Mine is supposed to arrive next Friday the 14th which is, I believe, the general start of actual availability of the 4S.

In the meantime availability has already moved on from "October 14th" to "1 or 2 weeks", so it really was a good idea that I had mine pre-ordered and confirmed yesterday.   

I've been pretty anti-smartphone.... In fact, I call them dumbphones simply because people allow themselves to become complete imbeciles with these things. I mean its one thing to have a tool and use it. Its another to have to rule your life, to the point it affects your driving and interpersonal skills.

That always depends on yourself first and foremost. If you're prone to getting distracted and being socially unresponsive, a smartphone may just enhance that tendency. If you know what you're doing, on the other hand, it can be a great tool to enhance the good parts of your life.

Always having a snapshot and HD video camera with you at all times can be a great opportunity for a parent, and FaceTime could also be a nice way to keep in touch even when you're away from home.

I've never used one with my iPhone 3GS which always lives in my pocket "as is" when I'm not at home and which is now about 26 months in use. And while its plastic back has accumulated some very small and faint scratches, the display side is still completely pristine as on the first day.

But of course I never carry any hard objects in the same pocket and I'm just not likely to drop things (although the iPhone has nevertheless seen a few drops, but always survived unscathed).

It will depend a lot on what your habits and your surroundings are like, and how you weigh the risk of acidental damage against making the phone bulkier than it is on its own. The iPhone 4/4S shell is extremely compact for a smartphone, but it is much less "slippery" than its predecessor, so I personally see little point in starting to use a cover.

The "Bumpers" from Apple are probably the least onerous protectors, cushioning the iPhone's edges, which should be enough for just drop protection.

B-What are some of the more useful apps (not games) that are out there to truly help one's life?

Beyond the ones already mentioned and beyond the standard built-in ones:

Some which I find very practical are specific to Germany, but I expect you'll find comparable ones over there:

- railway and local transit routing and schedules
- weather (including precipitation radar, both during the past hours and projected)
- mobile usage tracker (mobile provider-specific app which displays your consumption of voice/data/text within the month)
- public phone book

Generally usable ones:

- iCab mobile: an excellent alternative browser with fullscreen reading and navigation, ad filters, downloading capability and many, many options for customization; somewhat slower than Safari, but much more convenient and capable
- Good Reader: a document and data manager / reader / editor
- Pages / Numbers / Keynote: office apps (viewing of office documents is already standard iOS functionality)
- EyeTV: streams digital TV to the device from a TV tuner available in your local WiFi network
- Air Video: streams any video files to your device locally (the matching server application on your computer automatically transcodes the video on the fly)
- IMDB
- Shazam: music title identification through the microphone
- App Advice: what it says (a bit like a newspaper)

- Radio Paradise: an excellent internet radio station's app (ad-free, donation-supported, very nice music selection), with album art and more
- Tunemark, Radio: general internet radio apps
- Remote: free remote control app for iTunes on your computer

C- Oh, I have not added protection yet, but I can add Verizon protection or Applecare. Big difference there? Experiences?

Apple Care extends the manufacturer warranty and phone support to two years.

I don't know Verizon protection specifically, but some network providers offer additional insurance which may also cover theft, accidental damage and even total destruction which Apple Care does not cover (Apple Care+ now has some limited coverage of accidental damage included). Some of them may also cover most of what Apple's warranty would provide, but the support aspect of Apple Care will generally not be contained.

In the end you always pay a premium above the average risk across all customers. If you believe your own risk is higher than average or if you like the additional support features, the insurance/warranty extension may be a good deal for you. If you think your specific risk is low enough for you to bear it yourself, you may want to save the premium in case the risk never materializes after all.

I don't think I could give general advice either way, just know what you're paying and what you're getting in return.

greasespot

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Find My Iphone.

We used this to locate a stolen phone a few weeks ago. We were able log on with our own phones to locate it for the owner. Also can be used to find lost one.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

mirrodie
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Got verizon.

Quoting spudsmac (Reply 4):
The new ones are not out yet.

I know. We've pre-ordered. To be received on the 14th.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 8):
Whatsapp (txt,pxt,video,etc free using data/wifi)

What? So wait, you're saying you get around paying for texts by using that app?

Quoting Klaus (Reply 9):
If you know what you're doing, on the other hand, it can be a great tool to enhance the good parts of your life.

THe challenge will be not to become one of those idiots. Shouldnt be a problem, as I tend to keep my phone aside when with family.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 9):
Always having a snapshot and HD video camera with you at all times can be a great opportunity for a parent, and FaceTime could also be a nice way to keep in touch even when you're away from home.

I know. I am starting to embrace the various positives it may bring. To no longer leave the house wondering if we took the camera, etc. TO lighten our load.

Quoting greasespot (Reply 10):
Find My Iphone.

Oddly enough, this story has been running in NY since this morning. Sounds like a similar app.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/...ect-arrested-thanks-to-igotya-app/

Quoting AI121 (Reply 3):
Go through online user guide to learn few shortcuts and tricks.

THanks. Wondering if there is one available online yet to start reading up on?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

U2380

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:48 pm

I like Air Tycoon Two and Plane Finder  
As for impact protection, I use a silicone case and screen protectors. I've found them effective.

Stabilator

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 pm

I have a Spek case for my 4. It seems much more durable compared to the Incase I almost bought. If I recall, it was upwards of $40 at the local Apple store.

Useful apps that aren't games:
Wells Fargo (my bank but almost all major banks have an app)
Wikipedia
Fox News
WSJ
I Heart Radio (can listen to your fav. local radio when you are traveling)
Soundhound (Hold iPhone up to speakers when a song is playing and it will identify the song)
Spotify
Netflix (If you use it)
The Weather Channel (Default weather app is CRAP)

Aviation Apps:
Live ATC
AeroWeather (TAFs and METARS)
ForeFlight
AOPA

A bit of advice: treat your iPhone like a newborn. They aren't durable at all. Despite what anyone here will tell you. Keep it in the case. Don't drop it.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Zkpilot

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 am

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 11):
Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 8):
Whatsapp (txt,pxt,video,etc free using data/wifi)

What? So wait, you're saying you get around paying for texts by using that app?

exactly. Well I have unlimited txts anyway but when overseas I use it all the time. Also like I said for sending pictures, docs etc. Has a few other handy features. Great app.
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

Klaus

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 13):
A bit of advice: treat your iPhone like a newborn. They aren't durable at all. Despite what anyone here will tell you. Keep it in the case. Don't drop it.

Yes, they are very durable. Two years without a case and without a single scratch on the display even after a few drops give testament to that.

The glass is extremely tough and very difficult to scratch, but it's still glass. If you drop it on concrete at just the wrong angle, it may still break. Which is not the end of the world, however. A broken back or display can be repaired.

A cover may be sensible or it may be redundant. It just depends on how frequent and how severe your device accidents tend to be and how irritating you find the case vs. the remaining risk.

[Edited 2011-10-09 06:00:22]

mirrodie
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Quoting U2380 (Reply 12):
Air Tycoon Two and Plane Finder

I've already played Angry Birds, Air Traffic Control and some of the "landing the plane" games. You guys are the worse COKE pushers out there!   Enablers!

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 13):
Useful apps that aren't games:
Wells Fargo (my bank but almost all major banks have an app)
Wikipedia
Fox News
WSJ
I Heart Radio (can listen to your fav. local radio when you are traveling)
Soundhound (Hold iPhone up to speakers when a song is playing and it will identify the song)
Spotify
Netflix (If you use it)
The Weather Channel (Default weather app is CRAP)

Dude, thanks. You hit most of my interests in one swoop. And I am appreciating all the other recommendations as well. WE are ordering cases today so that we are prepared once the thing comes in the mail.

mirrodie
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh, random question.

Re: Apps. My bro in law was just asking me and I wasnt sure. What is it that makes apps work so well? They are not all made by apple, right? I would think there are 3rd party software apps for apple but they must be approved or something?

Klaus

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 17):
Re: Apps. My bro in law was just asking me and I wasnt sure. What is it that makes apps work so well? They are not all made by apple, right? I would think there are 3rd party software apps for apple but they must be approved or something?

Every App in the App Store (and every one of their updates) was vetted and approved by Apple, primarily excluding malware, shoddy quality, legally dubious and erotic/controversial apps, with the last criterion on the one hand removing most legal risks for Apple but on the other hand being the source of most of the "censorship" complaints.

It is mostly Apple's strict oversight of the market in conjunction with the attractive terms for developers and the stable software platform which makes the iOS app ecosystem so attractive. The relatively high safety level is one of the consequences of that: For the benefit of the developers it is not easy to pirate apps, for the benefit of the users there is practically no malware risk. ("Jailbreaking" the device can get rid of some of the remaining limitations, but it also destroys both of these benefits.)

With browsers and other apps you can of course still access whatever content you like; Apple just restrics the content they are distributing themselves when it's directly built into the apps.

Almost all apps are from 3rd party developers. Apple takes a 30% cut (effectively just about covering payment processing and operating expenses in total) and the remaining 70% of the purchase price go to the developers, which is a lot more than they could get from most physical box distributors. There are also many free apps, among them some being ad-supported. Apple's costs for these are cross-subsidized by the paid ones.

Only a small handful are actually made by Apple themselves (Remote, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, Garage Band, iBooks and only a few more).

After you've bought an app, you have lifelong free update support for that app (if the developer provides additional updates, which many do). You can use it on as many iOS devices linked to the same iTunes account as you want with no additional cost (which would probably make it sensible to have a shared family account) and you can delete and re-download it for free as well.

[Edited 2011-10-09 07:23:52]

aznmadsci

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:31 pm

I will second OtterBox as a bulky cover. I transitioned from working in a quiet laboratory to the on-the-go food truck and my iPhone 4 has gotten tossed around and stuff spilled on it by accident and it has held up nicely!

B-What are some of the more useful apps (not games) that are out there to truly help one's life? (I know its too easy to list games and such, but trying to steer away from that.) For example, someone told me of apps that help translate, which could help my everyday work.

I've downloaded most of the airline apps available, but mainly use CO's and UA's, which a basically the same app now with the CO app going away. The Star Alliance FareFinder app has started to become helpful finding fares when I just want to travel on Star flights.

For photography, I like Camera+ and ShakeItPhoto. Camera+ I use when I take pictures of the food I have done, while ShakeItPhoto makes pics reminiscent of old Polaroid pics.

For Utilities, I like 2Do, aNote, and Recorder Pro. When I was studying I would use the app Flash My Brain to make flashcards.

I can do onlne banking and love that I can make check deposits over my mobile. I use the Starbucks card mobile app to pay for anything at Starbucks. I can program my DVR using one of the AT&T apps. I can make payments to insurance and other companies that have an app.

As a Chef, I also have lineup of culinary apps at my disposal such as Epicurious, Cooks Illustrated, and Food Network.

While on the truck, I stream Pandora while we serve food and also like Shazam to figure out the name of songs.

Hope that helps.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.