YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Dutch Rail Plan To Introduce "pee-bags" On Trains

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:05 am

I read the followowing story in the Straits Times the other day.
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...s/World/Story/STIStory_720911.html

Seeing someone use these things on a train must be a pretty sight. Does anybody by the way know how these things look like?

Dreadnought

RE: Dutch Rail Plan To Introduce "pee-bags" On Trains

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:14 am

Quoting YokoTsuno (Thread starter):
Seeing someone use these things on a train must be a pretty sight. Does anybody by the way know how these things look like?

Puts a whole new spin on the phrase "brown-bagging to work".

(for those not familiar, brown-bagging was a term for taking your lunch with you, traditionally in a brown paper bag)
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Aeroflot777

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:15 am

''Are you serious? No, no ways, I just can't see myself doing 'it' in that,' one unnamed female passenger told its NOS morning journal programme."

The article specifically mentioned that this will be used exclusively in dire situations when a train is stranded. I am 100% confident that the 'one unnamed female passenger' will gladly accept that bag as she is sitting on a stranded train for a few hours all while wanting to pee.

Once again unnecessary and unjustified responses by over-opinionated individuals. I commend Dutch rail for providing such a service considering there are no present alternatives. Sure getting trains with restrooms is the better option - but that requires a long-term company strategy. This a great service in the meantime.

Aeroflot777

Cadet985

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:52 am

To quote Jay Leno from last night's monologue, "...Southwest Airline's reaction to this was 'why didn't we think of that?' "

Now seriously, if I was on a stranded train and couldn't hold it, I would just walk to the nearest door (on commuter trains here in Philly, the boarding doors are still manual for the most part) and do my business. I certainly would NOT use a bag.

Marc

Jalap

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 am

It wasn't their smartest move to get these trains without toilets.
Pee-bags are so absurd. Maybe they'll now need a pee-bag-deposit-room  

vandenheuvel

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:25 am

I assume they'll be using a variant of the Travel John. I simply don't understand the complains about the lack of toilets on trains. The only time I've ever used one was on a 5 hour train ride into Germany. Subway rides can also take more than an hour without lavatory access.

Usage of the bag will be done in the conductors 'office' which are on board of every train.

[Edited 2011-10-09 03:27:32]

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Sssh, don't tell Michael O'Leary.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

petertenthije

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Next up, for those who need to do number two.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8695/f9dd7e55kakzak.jpg

Transalted: "for your convenience, the shitbag"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Edited 2011-10-09 06:22:57]
Attamottamotta!

KaiGywer

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:24 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 3):
Now seriously, if I was on a stranded train and couldn't hold it, I would just walk to the nearest door (on commuter trains here in Philly, the boarding doors are still manual for the most part) and do my business. I certainly would NOT use a bag.

Just watch out for the third rail  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Wolverine

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

I think this is a good idea. Sitting on a train without a toilet for hours, while you have to pee, is not a nice thought. And you don't have to do it in front of all the other passengers, so I don't see the problem..
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

jcs17

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 am

How can Dutch trains not have toilets? NYC commuter trains, where the majority of people are traveling an hour or less, have facilities on board. Even more confusing, Dutch trains actually show up to the minute of their departure. Here the train is on time if it shows up within 10 minutes of the schedule.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

petertenthije

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:34 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 10):
How can Dutch trains not have toilets?

I'm affraid this is gonna sound a bit like a rant.

The problem is politics and money.

About twenty years ago the Dutch railways were "privatized". The Dutch national railways (NS) are owned by the government, but it is no longer considered a state run company. They got a large degree autonomy.

With the "privatization" the NS where awarded most of the network, including the full long distance network and the regional lines in the densely populated West and South. The more rural areas in the North and the East were put up for tender. They are now run by third parties including Syntus, Arriva and Connexxion.

These local companies have been running trains on their respective networks for a long time now. In some cases without toilets. For instance, Syntus running amongst others the Arnhem-Doetinchem-Winterswijk franchise (eastern Netherlands), has been using trains without toilets for at least 10 years. This was initially met with some complaints, but people learned to live with it. This was no doubt helped by the presence of more important concerns like extreme undercapcacity and ongoing cancellations and delays due to crappy signalling (even now this is a big issue on the route with almost every month two or three days with complete chaos due to signal failures, the infrastructure autorities focus their investment budget on the west of NL). Bare in mind, from Winterswijk to Arnhem is 1,5 hours, and most of the train stations on the route are unmanend, and do not have toilets either.

Syntus decided not to install toilets to save money. You don't need to maintain the things and you can add additional seats for added revenue. The train service is a "stoptrein" (local service) so technically it is booked as a short distance train, even though there are several "sneltrein" (express service) services that take a shorter time. But Syntus managed to convince the local autorities that not having a potty was no problem since it was merely a local service. The autorities agreed. At least part of the reason they agreed is because they forgot to specify toilets in the tender for this service. They could of course change the contract, but that would mean they would share at least part of the costs. After all, a contract is a contract and you can't just unilaterally change it because you were stupid and forgot something.

Having set a precedent, the NS figured they could do the same. So the next batch of trains they ordered for local services (the "Sprinter" train) did not include toilets either. This was kept kind a quiet, till the first trains where delivered. And then the shit hit the fan.

When Syntus ran their toilet-free service it did not matter to a lot of people. It was only a local service in the outback, that it is the busiest local service in the country is not well known. But now the potty-free train service would go nation wide. With the amount of people now affected, it suddenly became a popular subject for politicians, the railyway union and various action groups (for elderly, for commuters, for young parents etc). They raised enough of a stink that the NS is now searching for options. They have amended their train order so the trains still on order will include toilets. What to do with the trains that have already been delivered is still a big question. Retro-fitting them is possible but expensive.

Even more confusing, Dutch trains actually show up to the minute of their departure.

ROFL
Attamottamotta!

shamrock604

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Even more confusing, Dutch trains actually show up to the minute of their departure. Here the train is on time if it shows up within 10 minutes of the schedule.

Absolutely shocking behaviour! Those crazy Dutch with their damn punctuality!  

In Ireland, I believe we use "Airline standard" for our trains - ie a fifteen minute delay is considered acceptable ;-(

YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 6):
Sssh, don't tell Michael O'Leary.

Too late the damage is done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...oard-loos-provide-extra-seats.html