woady
Topic Author

Who Donates To Charity?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi all,

Just been to some training to do with my job and charities. Was just wondering how many of you donate to charity? We're working with one of the UKs leading childrens charities to enable kids to have a Christmas.

Personally, we donate things we dont use anymore rather than cash. What do you do to help?

Jon  
A300-600R, 737-300, 737-800, 757-200, 767-200/300/ER, ERJ145, ATR72

B6JFKH81

RE: Who Donates To Charity?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I donate stuff to the Salvation Army and Good Will, I donate money to some not-for-profit organizations that help gay youth and AIDS prevention/testing/support for all.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

FingerLakerAv8r

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 am

I donate to Goodwill and only to local charities that I know use all the money for those in need. Too many charities out there that use some or most of your donation for administrative costs.

Ken777

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 am

We have some charities calling for "gently used" stuff and normally have some things for them. Prevent Blindness and DVA are the top two in this area.

I've gotten really tired of the professional fund raisers mailings, though, and don't respond to them any more. When we do send money it is cash with no return address. These days that is normally John 3:16.

Otherwise it is the Salvo's Christmas Kettles, The MS Firemen and stuff like that.

WarRI1

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 am

I donate cloths and money. Toys for Tots. My favorites are the food Bank, and cancer, as well as others.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

canoecarrier

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:58 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 1):
I donate stuff to the Salvation Army and Good Will, I donate money to some not-for-profit organizations that help gay youth and AIDS prevention/testing/support for all.

I grew up in a Salvation Army family. Before my parents met, my mother was an officer in the SA. After she got married she worked in one way or another for them over 20 years. So, as a kid I grew up delivering food on Thanksgiving to elderly people and disadvantaged folks. Although I personally don't do much for them anymore, I still have a lot of respect for the organization.

Now, I do as you and donate things to the Goodwill, occasionally organize blood drives for the Red Cross, and when asked will donate my time. As an aside, over 10 years ago, when I was in my 20's I found myself unemployed, traveling across the country more as a tourist. I ran out of money for 1 day in Billings MT. And, having grown up around a homeless shelter my mom helped run, I spent a night in the Montana Men's Shelter. They cleaned my clothes, gave me a hot meal/bed, and said I didn't even have to help clean up since I was only there for a night. I did anyway. In the 4 months after I backpacked across AK and Canada, that meal was the best I had. My life is much different now.

There's a lot of good charities out there. Many need time and muscle just as much as money.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 3):
Otherwise it is the Salvo's Christmas Kettles

And I boycot any store that won't actually let them use the bell anymore. Just plain stupid to make them use a cardboard cutout of a bell because the noise bothers people.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

WarRI1

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:04 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 5):
And I boycot any store that won't actually let them use the bell anymore. Just plain stupid to make them use a cardboard cutout of a bell because the noise bothers people.

You learn something every day. I have never heard of that. A cardboard bell? We have had, stores/ malls that did not allow them at all in the past. It seems to change every year. I guess a cardboard bell still works, as long as they collect money.

canoecarrier

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 6):
You learn something every day. I have never heard of that. A cardboard bell? We have had, stores/ malls that did not allow them at all in the past. It seems to change every year. I guess a cardboard bell still works, as long as they collect money.

Target was one of the more high profile stores that did that last year. Glad the OP started this thread. I run a small organization on my spare time in Seattle, I think we'll sponsor a couple families through the SA for Christmas this year. Easy to do, big upside and not a whole lot of work and/or money.

WarRI1

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 7):
Target was one of the more high profile stores that did that last year. Glad the OP started this thread. I run a small organization on my spare time in Seattle, I think we'll sponsor a couple families through the SA for Christmas this year. Easy to do, big upside and not a whole lot of work and/or money.

I wish you luck with your endeavor. The need gets greater every year. Something profoundly sad about that.

Springbok747

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 am

I donate only to the Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières.
אני תומך בישראל

canoecarrier

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 9):
I donate only to the Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières.

The Mrs. is a much better volunteer than I. She's traveled to Russia, the Ukraine, China and Pakistan doing medical volunteer work with an organization that does heart surgeries on kids. I just toss a few hours a year at it. But, she's a nurse.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 8):
I wish you luck with your endeavor. The need gets greater every year. Something profoundly sad about that.

No doubt. But, I really hadn't thought about how easy it would be to get 100-200 people to donate just a little to sponsor a couple families for Christmas until this thread. Think about that, $20 for a gift card from 20 of those people would make a nice Christmas gift.

SmithAir747

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:41 am

My favourite charity is the Children's Craniofacial Association (CCA), a nationwide umbrella support/advocacy group focusing on children's craniofacial deformities, ranging from simple cleft lip/palate to more complex syndromes like Treacher Collins syndrome.

http://www.ccakids.com

Since I have Treacher Collins syndrome myself, I have been active in the CCA. I participate by going to the CCA Cher's Annual Family Retreat at the end of June each summer, where I fellowship with and encourage other people with craniofacial differences, including the affected children themselves and their parents, as well as adults like me who have these anomalies.

So, in essence, I donate my time and my life experience to CCA.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

WarRI1

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:01 am

[quote=canoecarrier,reply=10]No doubt. But, I really hadn't thought about how easy it would be to get 100-200 people to donate just a little to sponsor a couple families for Christmas until this thread. Think about that, $20 for a gift card from 20 of those people would make a nice Christmas gift.

I agree. I have sent cash to people who are neighbors, who are out of work. I do this by mail, in a Christmas Card, unsigned. I do not like thanks. I was helped when I was young, I never forget.

jcs17

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:47 am

Besides donating clothes, I throw a few dollars at the local bums if I have cash on me -- rarely. It probably goes to their booze arsenal, but whatever, if I lived on the streets I'd drink heavily too.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

canoecarrier

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:36 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 11):
So, in essence, I donate my time and my life experience to CCA.

You're working on your PhD right? Seems like a pretty good use of your time sharing your personal experiences with people who share a common affliction.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 12):
I agree. I have sent cash to people who are neighbors, who are out of work. I do this by mail, in a Christmas Card, unsigned. I do not like thanks. I was helped when I was young, I never forget.

Probably the best way to do it. I'm sure they may be embarrassed if they knew who it was, but I remember when I was right out of college and broke, I had a lot of people chip in to help me when I knew I could never pay them back. I'm a better person for it. Good on you.

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 13):
Besides donating clothes, I throw a few dollars at the local bums if I have cash on me -- rarely.

That's a tough one for me. Not that they don't need the help. One of the same stores that won't let the SA ring a bell in front of it during the Christmas season has people camped out with a sign, panhandling every day next to the door. I'd rather give the money to an organization I at least had an idea where the money was going. But, this is one of those things that comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

runner13

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 am

I'm not a big donater. During the Nashville floods of 2010 my wife and I did donate though. It was a month before our wedding, and we both volunteered to help our city. I drove a big u-haul truch with nothing but bleach and went to the hardest hit neighborhoods. When they first said it was 20 pallets full of bleach I was confused, but then realized how important it was. By the end of the day my truck was empty. The people were so happy just to have free bleach, it really put things into persepective for me. I thought we had it bad because we couldn't leave our apt for 2 days and was rationing water. Also instead of getting bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts we used that money for Hands on Nashville during the flood. I think it was better served that way instead of getting my already alcoholic groomsmen another flask. I don't mind donating money but only to local charities, we always do the angel tree each year but only ones that want coats or shoes. Something useful you know, some of those kids want the new Madden for PS3. Sorry but if you have a PS3 you don't need help from me.

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 2):
Too many charities out there that use some or most of your donation for administrative costs.

I completly agree and think the best example of this is Susan G Komen. While I think it's a great organization with a great cause it has gotten way to big, and have heard several negative things about the organization. They just have way too much overhead in my opinion and I don't know how much of a donation actually goes to the cause.

Springbok747

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:57 am

Quoting runner13 (Reply 15):
I completly agree and think the best example of this is Susan G Komen. While I think it's a great organization with a great cause it has gotten way to big, and have heard several negative things about the organization. They just have way too much overhead in my opinion and I don't know how much of a donation actually goes to the cause.

I think most of the charities do this..at least in this part of the world. When the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami happened..people donated like crazy...and I read somewhere that only a small percentage of those donations actually reached the people on the ground in Indonesia and other countries affected by the tsunami..apparently several millions of $ were unaccounted for..don't know how much of this is actually true. Also, the charity scams (which happened during the Queensland floods here in Australia) makes me think twice about donating to any charity. Only exceptions are the Red Cross and MSF. I have worked for both these organizations and have a fair idea of how they operate.

http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/n...01/beware-charity-flood-scams-accc
אני תומך בישראל

baroque

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 7):
I run a small organization on my spare time in Seattle, I think we'll sponsor a couple families through the SA for Christmas this year. Easy to do, big upside and not a whole lot of work and/or money.

That would attract me. So many of the others have become either so commercial or so political. I used to support the Salvos only to have them turn on the BAN INJECTING ROOM TRIALS stunt. Sorry Salvos, recover your lost virtue.

MSF still seems above criticism. Any that ring asking - out!

fr8mech

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:05 am

We donate cash to the Church and various charities. The biggest charitable cash contribution goes to The United Way, but we use directed contributions. We've also stepped up our charitable giving to our local YMCA.

We also donate any clothes that we don't wear anymore and whatever the kids have outgrown or stopped using. I can't remember the last time we threw away an article of clothing that wasn't underwear.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

CrimsonNL

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:19 am

I don't support any charities financially. However I donate blood on a regular basis, and am a registered stem cell donor. And should I get hit by the bus on my way to work then they can have my organs as well.
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Starbuk7

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

We donate to our church.

Every year we donate clothes and items we no longer use in the house to Goodwill.

We also donate to the Navy/Marine Corps Relief (which helps Sailors and Marines) and to Hearing Charities since my daughter was born with a hearing disorder in her left ear.

EDICHC

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Three charities that are very close to my heart..

Salvation Army
Medicins Sans Frontiers
Amnesty International

... to all of which I have regular payment plans.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

ajd1992

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I donate when I can (poor student) to the Meningitis UK charity. My mum died from meningitis/septicaemia/organ failure so I do my bit when I can. I have those rubber wrist bands as well and I wear one quite often to show my support.

RobertNL070

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:05 pm

The Salvation Army gets a tidy sum of money in the run-up to Christmas and at other times discarded but serviceable clothing - washed and folded - and shoes.

The Dutch branch of Oxfam International
The World Wildlife Fund
The Dutch Red Cross
UNICEF
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

na

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Since very long I donate money to children help funds regularly, just this week for East Africa. Sometimes I donate in the church if they collect for the poor.

connies4ever

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I contribute monthly to MSF, World Vision (sponsoring a teen there, soon to go to uni on my nickel), also Cdn Diabetes FOundation (in my family) and St Boniface Hospital Research Foundation (one of my best friends died there from cancer). Plus occasionals to several other charitables. In total, about 3% of my gross income. Not a Christian, so technically not tithing. But it's the right thing to do.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

canoecarrier

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 17):
MSF still seems above criticism.

The Mrs. does her volunteer work for the International Children's Heart Foundation. They've been to the Sudan, Haiti, Nicaragua, etc. One of her more colorful trips was to Pakistan when she stayed in at a military base in Abbottabad just up the street from OBL in '05 or '06. They've been featured on the Discovery Channel for doing surgeries around Chernobyl repairing birth defects in kids hearts. I'd say they're pretty up and up if you're looking for another one similar to MSF.

Quoting runner13 (Reply 15):
I'm not a big donater. During the Nashville floods of 2010 my wife and I did donate though.

When I worked at a municipal airport in the 90's the Missouri River flooded our building under 13 feet of water for a month. Until you've seen that, you don't realize just how much help people need to recover after a big flood.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 16):
When the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami happened..people donated like crazy...and I read somewhere that only a small percentage of those donations actually reached the people on the ground in Indonesia and other countries affected by the tsunami..apparently several millions of $ were unaccounted for..don't know how much of this is actually true.

This is why it's always good to call first before you donate after an emergency. From what I've heard if you write on the check to an organization like the Red Cross they do spend it on that specific need. Otherwise it gets put in a general fund and (not altogether bad) could be spent on a family that gets burned out of their house, etc. But, not why you originally donated the money.

stratosphere

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:44 am

Most of my charities are animal. I do donate to St Judes Childrens hospital however a friend of mine makes the wagons that parents pull the kids around the hospital. I give to ASPCA and others. I do like the Salvation Army also and give to them during the holiday season. All the employers I have worked for push to give to the United Way but I refuse to give to them. I pick my own charities I don't want to be told who to give to.

RussianJet

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 am

I donate to orbis, the flying eye hospital. They do good work - people deserve to see.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

AviRaider

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:54 pm

My wife and I regularly give to our church who supports two local food banks, two local missions, a local crisis pregnancy center and others. We support a 9 year old girl in Ghana through WorldVision. We often donate items to Goodwill. I've done a couple of Habitat for Humanity projects. Give to a Mitten Tree every Christmas. I often donate to Angel Tree which provides Christmas gifts for a deserving child or elderly shut-in. Given to United Way a few times.

[Edited 2011-10-13 10:58:01]

sccutler

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Most of my charitable giving is through Rotary - almost everywhere you go, there are Rotarians who know their communities and who coordinate the effective and efficient distribution and administration of funds and resources donated - typically, with no overhead at all.

Not like so many "charitable" organizations which, by the time they are done with the administrative overhead, have nickels and dimes remaining for the actual charitable cause.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

falstaff

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Quoting woady (Thread starter):
What do you do to help?

I donate clothes and household items to groups like Goodwill and the Salvation Army. I also buy a lot of stuff from those places. Right now my sport coat, slacks, and shirt came from second hand stores. You can look sharp if you have some taste. I get compliments all the time on the clothes I get used.

I give money to my church, of which I am a vestry member (board of directors). I also participate in various gift giving things at Christmas too.

I never give money to individuals because I have seen so many scams over the years. I even see "homeless" people trying to rip off our church. One thing I have learned in life is than there are a lot of people who are needy because of poor choices they have made and continue to make. I don't have sympathy for anyone who puts themselves in a bad situation. I have made poor choices and had to live with it.

At work we have a canned food drive every year and I am usually one of the best contributors. I tell my students that I will match what they give. If my class brings in 250 items, so will I.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

1stfl94

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm

I've done a few events for Mencap who I work with quite closely now, and means getting other people to donate for me!

Type-Rated

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 pm

I donate old clothing to Goodwill. I wouldn't give the Salvation Army anything due to their views on gays.
I also donate to several no-kill animal shelters in our area. I have also helped fund relocation flights for dogs to parts of the country where there is a shortage of dogs to adopt. I also donate some of my canine behaviorist skills to our local county shelter too. In the past I have also donated to various aviation museums.

[Edited 2011-10-14 11:44:56]
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

HAWK21M

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Quoting AviRaider (Reply 29):

My wife and I regularly give to our church

The same here.....Charity in form of cash/clothes/Fresh dry food can be donated to the church & same is distributed to the poor who que out in the church for it.....The poor can be from any religon.
There are a lot of poor out here & I'm glad the Churches/Temples/Mosques/Gurudwaras out here help them out.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)