Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1
Topic Author

Does God Speak To You Directly? He Does To Mrs.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:31 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#44897010

I was very surprised to see Mrs. Perry invoke the council of the Almighty into the Presidential race at a prayer breakfast. Is this something that she should be doing? I think we have enough problems with our politics already. We all know the uproar over religion, which happened in the last few days. Click on Politics.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

NASCARAirforce

RE: Does God Speak To You Directly? He Does To Mrs.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey God spoke to Bush too - told him to invade Iraq. God told Palin to kill wolves since wolves are terrorists too. God spoke to Bachman just to be a nut job.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 1):
Hey God spoke to Bush too - told him to invade Iraq. God told Palin to kill wolves since wolves are terrorists too. God spoke to Bachman just to be a nut job.

In an indirect way, you have touched on the subject. A very divisive subject.

comorin

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am

I really want to know what God's voice sounds like - anyone have an mp3? I'm going with deep baritone - like James Earl Jones.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:40 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 3):
I really want to know what God's voice sounds like - anyone have an mp3? I'm going with deep baritone - like James Earl Jones.

When he spoke to me, I could not really say, how his voice was? I was terrified.  

comorin

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:33 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 4):
When he spoke to me, I could not really say, how his voice was? I was terrified.

Haha! Shows you who's the Boss!

God has not spoken to me yet and I'm hoping he'll get around to it. I'll probably get left behind in the Rapture so it may not matter that much. I don't want to spend Eternity hanging around with smug folks anyway.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:37 am

The real problem with these so-called religious persons is that they often have some very narrow, bad and contradictory beliefs.

I bet she is a total supporter of the most absolute bans on abortion but totally for the death penalty. She probably despises Muslims, GLTB's, is totally opposed to same gender marriage or legal partnerships. She probably believes the government should not help the poor or protect workers, is totally anti-union, but pro corporation and pro oil. She would I bet support massive cuts to government workers decent pay and benefits yet gives 1000% support of our military, our wars in the Iraq and Afghanistan and would agree to bombing Iran's nuke sites. She probably rejects the possibility of Climate change. I also have issues with those that rely on 'God' as a crutch, as their key decision maker and not in pragmatic and secular way. I which she had kept in the background and quiet, I think it just hurts her husband more than he did to himself.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 5):
I don't want to spend Eternity hanging around with smug folks anyway.

Yes, Eternity is a long time to hang around with anyone.

Dreadnought

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:56 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Thread starter):
I was very surprised to see Mrs. Perry invoke the council of the Almighty into the Presidential race at a prayer breakfast. Is this something that she should be doing?

Why not? It's her right.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 6):
I bet she is a total supporter of the most absolute bans on abortion but totally for the death penalty. She probably despises Muslims, GLTB's, is totally opposed to same gender marriage or legal partnerships. She probably believes the government should not help the poor or protect workers, is totally anti-union, but pro corporation and pro oil. She would I bet support massive cuts to government workers decent pay and benefits yet gives 1000% support of our military, our wars in the Iraq and Afghanistan and would agree to bombing Iran's nuke sites. She probably rejects the possibility of Climate change. I also have issues with those that rely on 'God' as a crutch, as their key decision maker and not in pragmatic and secular way. I which she had kept in the background and quiet, I think it just hurts her husband more than he did to himself.

Thy name is prejudice.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:59 am

The real problem with these so-called religious persons is that they often have some very narrow, bad and contradictory beliefs.

I am not the most religious person. I find these types kind of scary. There is faith, and there is blind faith. Those with blind faith are the ones who tend to preach against others faith, or lack of. They tend to be on a mission.

FingerLakerAv8r

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:59 am

Godd lives in my neighborhood! He's a nice guy about 58-62 and looks young for his age. Retired from CSX and now spends his days with his wife gardening, making good homebrew beer and visiting his kids and grandkids! Believe it or not his hair is not white but black and he has no beard. Godd is very fond of blue jeans and his Carhart jacket as opposed to long white robes. Godd is also a member of the Republican Party but did vote for Obama! He could care less if gays get married, thinks the ecomony is screwed regardless of who's in office and really wants smaller government as long as the pesky kids stay off his lawn! (actual quote lol) Godd's BBQ's in the summer are legendary since his rib recipe is a secret and he breaks out his home brew for all to have! Godd also plows out driveways in the winter as a courtesy and loves is brand new Dodge Ram.

Godd's voice is masculine yet soothing and has yet to smote anyone or anything on our street!

** Mr and Mrs. Godd have lived 4 houses down from me since I moved to my current location. Their dogs are named Abraham and Magdalin as an added bonus lol **

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 8):
Why not? It's her right.

Absolutely, never said it was not. I questioned the propriety of it, in an election. She gave a devine blessing to her husband. Do you not think that is an overeach? If she had said that he was smart, honest, brave, handsome, good, I would say she loves her husband. Who would not, a devoted wife. ( Damn, I wish my wife would say that about me) I find her invoking God, beyond the pale.

Mir

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:11 am

I really want to know what God's voice sounds like
http://youtu.be/MQ692MAPU3I

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

EDICHC

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):

Nope it is here, fast fwd to 3.24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNVBb...playnext=1&list=PL25A2DC5803B466BB
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

MadameConcorde

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 am

J.S. Bach is God.

He speaks to me every time I listen to his works.

It never fails.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ALTF4

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 11):
Absolutely, never said it was not. I questioned the propriety of it, in an election. She gave a devine blessing to her husband. Do you not think that is an overeach? If she had said that he was smart, honest, brave, handsome, good, I would say she loves her husband. Who would not, a devoted wife. ( Damn, I wish my wife would say that about me) I find her invoking God, beyond the pale.

So you should be happy about their actions, since you don't like them anyway. Seriously, what's the big deal? The more you draw attention to it, the more you enable people.

Whether or not I agree with them, I completely support her actions. Why? Because she probably acts the same way in her private life. You all are profiling them as a God-fearing bunch of folk, so don't try to say this is just an act - you already proved your point otherwise. I, for one, would rather have people be who they are in both their public and private lives, and not switch hats to appease people.

Nobody is going to agree with everything anybody does. Hell, I bet you don't agree with everything you do; you probably regret a lot of decisions, just like I do. That's what makes us different makes life enjoyable.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ42IMu7HIQ

I have little more to say.

Fred

signol

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Doesn't God sound like Angelina Jolie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_of_Arabia

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

WrenchBender

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm

I thought god sounds like this:
http://youtu.be/tA3dzBrXYtc

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

OA412

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Thy name is prejudice.

Such hypocrisy! If someone claimed any form of racial or sexual discrimination, you'd be among the first on here to tell them that they're overly sensitive, taking things out of context, misconstruing, and otherwise justifying that form of discrimination. But when it comes to supposed religious discrimination, you cry foul at every opportunity.  
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

seb146

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:14 pm

So, at a religious (presumably Christians) gathering, Rick Perry's wife talked about her Christian god. And the problem is....? My biggest problem is: In a country that is supposed to be non-religious, political leaders put so much emphasis on religion. I want to know where EXACTLY in the Constitution it says our political leaders HAVE to be one strain of religion to hold office?

Another issue I have is: I think it is funny how, when a political leader says "God spoke to me and said..." people take it seriously. However, when a homeless person says "God spoke to me and said..." people make fun of that person. Back in the day, God spoke to the common people. Not Pharoh or Pilate.

She also made room for tons of jokes about the "burning bush" comments, but this is a family forum.... (just trying to inject a little humor!)
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

connies4ever

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 4):

But what I want to know is, how do you know that He's a He ? What if He's a She ?  
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

comorin

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):

-Mir

Sounds like a pre-boarding announcement for The Ark!  

Thanks all for the various links.

johns624

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:04 pm

This sounds just like when two Black politicians are running against each other and they start arguing over who is "Blacker" except in this case it is who is more "Christian".

seb146

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 21):
But what I want to know is, how do you know that He's a He ? What if He's a She ?

I know you are being clever, but in all seriousness, God is a being. Neither man nor woman, as I understand it. However, the Bible was written by men. So, God is a man.

Another question: What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus, just trying to make His way home?

johns624

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 24):
What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus, just trying to make His way home?

If He was in Detroit, he'd never get there, our transit system sucks.

comorin

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 25):

He continues to suffer for our sins.

connies4ever

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:46 pm

I know you are being clever, but in all seriousness, God is a being. Neither man nor woman, as I understand it.

Actually, as I was saying to someone at work this afternoon (someone who has crossed the gender barrier, btw, male -> female), I was trying to cozy up to the concept of God being GLBT.

In all seriousness, God might be a being. The atheists have a different idea you know. And the agnostics really can't get excited about it. Which I suppose might cause God some consternation.   
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

comorin

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 27):
I know you are being clever, but in all seriousness, God is a being. Neither man nor woman, as I understand it.

Actually, as I was saying to someone at work this afternoon (someone who has crossed the gender barrier, btw, male -> female), I was trying to cozy up to the concept of God being GLBT.

In all seriousness, God might be a being. The atheists have a different idea you know. And the agnostics really can't get excited about it. Which I suppose might cause God some consternation.

Guys, I really need to put an end to this debate. As you all know the female of GOD = GODDESS. This proves beyond any doubt that God is a HE.

You're welcome.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:11 am

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 15):
So you should be happy about their actions, since you don't like them anyway. Seriously, what's the big deal? The more you draw attention to it, the more you enable people.

I do not do things out of hate, I disagree, I argue, I do not hate people in the US. I do not agree with her, or him politically. I do not hate them. They are my fellow American's, with a right to speak their mind. I do not like people invoking the name of God in politics, terror, or murder. She essentially said that God spoke to her and basically endorsed her husbands cannidacy. Politicians like endorsements, no doubt, but this is the Mother of all endorsements. I just do not think God belongs in politics. Any God, any politics. We see the problems that causes in other countries, other religions. We do not need that here.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:18 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 21):

I do have a failing, pointed out by my wife over and over, and over. I tend to be a Chauvinist, I look at most things as male. I never make that mistake about ships though. I might have to sail on one.  

Fly2HMO

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:46 am

I like how we have declared war on religious fanatics yet we allow religious fanatics to run this country.           

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:54 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 31):
I like how we have declared war on religious fanatics yet we allow religious fanatics to run this country.

I think you will have to clarify that statement. I tend to agree, although I am not sure what I am agreeing with.  

Confuscius

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:08 am

Another question: What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus, just trying to make His way home?

...or a Hispanic steambath attendant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-k5mDhwjfs
Ain't I a stinker?

Fly2HMO

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 32):
I think you will have to clarify that statement. I tend to agree, although I am not sure what I am agreeing with.

We declared war on religious extremists that have caused us harm (9/11) yet in our very own congress we have bible thumpers and similar if not more backwards thinking people.

It's hypocrisy.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:24 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 33):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 24):Another question: What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus, just trying to make His way home?
...or a Hispanic steambath attendant.

I certainly would not ask, if he was legal for sure.  

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:34 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 34):
We declared war on religious extremists that have caused us harm (9/11) yet in our very own congress we have bible thumpers and similar if not more backwards thinking people.

Now that, I can certainly agree with. It is pure hypocricy. I sometimes wonder myself, how can this be? We condemn, but we have.

seb146

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:50 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 29):
I just do not think God belongs in politics. Any God, any politics. We see the problems that causes in other countries, other religions. We do not need that here.

A-freakin'-MEN!!

Confuscius

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:54 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 35):
I certainly would not ask, if he was legal for sure.

Just imagine if Jesus came to Arizona or Alabama today. A brown-skinned man from the Middle East with a Hispanic name and without a green card. Hmmm...   
Ain't I a stinker?

NASCARAirforce

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:29 am

What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus, just trying to make His way home?

What if God Smoked Cannibis?

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 33):
...or a Hispanic steambath attendant

That's Jesus pronounced HAY ZUES

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:42 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 38):
Just imagine if Jesus came to Arizona or Alabama today. A brown-skinned man from the Middle East with a Hispanic name and without a green card. Hmmm... Ain't I a stinker?

That would be a terrible dilemma for some folks. It would not be a problem for others. Those who speak with certainty, might be in trouble. I am trying to be diplomatic here. It is hard. I still say, God does not give endorsements to anyone. It is wrong to claim he does. I think that Mrs Perry may have mispoke in the heat and stress of the campaign. We will see, if she repeats that claim. I think it hurts her husband, not helps.

comorin

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:02 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 40):
I still say, God does not give endorsements to anyone. It is wrong to claim he does. I think that Mrs Perry may have mispoke in the heat and stress of the campaign. We will see, if she repeats that claim. I think it hurts her husband, not helps.

Sorry to drift off-topic! You may be right about Mrs. Perry. The norms in her surroundings could e quite different.

God heard you asked me to cheer you up. GOOD NEWS! There is a new, redesigned BMW 3 -series for 2012. See CNET article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...0654-48/bmw-unwraps-2012-3-series/

Pyrex

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:02 am

I bet she is a total supporter of the most absolute bans on abortion but totally for the death penalty.

You mean just like "liberal" extremists who defend late-term abortion but are against the death penalty for even the most vicious of crimes and think Obama should have instead asked Pakistan to arrest Bin Laden and follow their own processes for extradition before being shipped over to the U.S. to do 3 to 5 for naughtiness?

She probably despises Muslims,

Might be, Then again, many liberals seem to be of the persuasion of supporting all religions (and associated barbaric "cultural" customs) just as long as they are not Christian (because it reminds them too much of the identity of the country they despise).

government workers decent pay and benefits

And by decent you mean way better than anyone can ever dream of getting in the private sector.

yet gives 1000% support of our military,

You don't?

our wars in the Iraq and Afghanistan

I will give you Iraq (the way the Iraqis behaved against each other after the fall of Saddam clearly shows they were not worthy of the 5,000 american lives wasted in trying to free them) but Afghanistan? Come on... you do remember a couple of buildings that used to exist in downtown Manhattan, don't you?

and would agree to bombing Iran's nuke sites.

Again, you wouldn't?

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 9):
There is faith, and there is blind faith.

No there isn't, they are one and the same thing, but for some reason religion is the only choice / hallucination given constitutional protection against "discrimination", so unfortunately employers cannot use it as a test of someone's ability to exercise rational thought and good judgement.

Quoting comorin (Reply 26):

Quoting johns624 (Reply 25):

There is suffering, and there is riding the bus in Detroit suffering... can't we go with something a little less extreme, like nailing him to a cross and leaving him out on a hill to die, or is that too deja-vu?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

wn700driver

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:25 am

Thy name is prejudice.

Except it really isn't. The truth is that right wing politics not only fits everything said by ltbewr, but it is also very insecure with regard to how these things are dealt with, and does not tolerate dissent among its ranks at all. It's this structure that's essentially allowed the GOP to be hijacked by fundies and corporate anarchists.

I'm not real wild about the democratic party either, as there are some pretty major hypocrisies there as well, but as long as they form an effective (and frankly more powerful and mainstream) counter weight to the GOP, that's good enough these days.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 19):
If someone claimed any form of racial or sexual discrimination, you'd be among the first on here to tell them that they're overly sensitive, taking things out of context, misconstruing, and otherwise justifying that form of discrimination. But when it comes to supposed religious discrimination, you cry foul at every opportunity.

I totally agree. I'm not by any means picking on or singling out Dreadnought (especially as I'm refering to life outside of/beyond the internet anyway...)here, but I've noticed that a lot of the right wingers are becoming increasingly aggressive with their opinions and desires. It's a big concern for this country to say the least...

It is interesting. Especially when we realize that left without proper supervision, the GOP would undoubtedly turn this country into something between an american taliban and the complete anarchy of somalia.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

wukka

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 am

I'm lost here. Is this anti-God, or anti-Christian-God?

Seems like when the concept of religion comes up, it's all about right wing US politics.
We can agree to disagree.

comorin

Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Quoting wukka (Reply 44):
I'm lost here. Is this anti-God, or anti-Christian-God?

For me, just a bit of harmless fun! I'm sure He wouldn't mind...  

johns624

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 42):

There is suffering, and there is riding the bus in Detroit suffering... can't we go with something a little less extreme, like nailing him to a cross and leaving him out on a hill to die, or is that too deja-vu?

We're all going to hell...

photopilot

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

So what would you like ME to say?  

seb146

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Quoting wukka (Reply 44):
Seems like when the concept of religion comes up, it's all about right wing US politics.

The right seems to think this is a Christian nation and only certain flavors of Christianity will be practiced here and the right are the party of God and Christianity.

many liberals seem to be of the persuasion of supporting all religions (and associated barbaric "cultural" customs) just as long as they are not Christian (because it reminds them too much of the identity of the country they despise).

Actually, no. What "liberals" support is the acceptance of ALL religion and ALL barbaric "cultural" customs. Even Christian ones. The reason many on the right think "liberals" hate Christians is because so many on the right are endoctrinated to believe this is a Christian nation and only certain flavors of Christianity are allowed to lead this nation. Christianity has been the dominate religion in this nation's government for a very long time. Yet, we claim to be a free and open nation. With a hatred for Hindus, Muslims, Buhddists, Sikhs, Athiests, Voodoo and anything else that does not resemble Christianity.

just like "liberal" extremists who defend late-term abortion but are against the death penalty for even the most vicious of crimes

I live in one of the most "liberal" areas of the country and I have yet to meet anyone who is for late-term abortion. Heck, as a "liberal" myself, I am for the death penalty in certain cases.

Confuscius

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 40):

If Jesus wants to come to the U.S., should he just miraculously appear here or should he go through the legal way by getting a visa and go through a port-of-entry? I wonder what christian conservatives would like him to do.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 47):
So what would you like ME to say?

Give me the effin' winning lottery numbers!
Ain't I a stinker?