RE: I Just Walked By Occupy Wall Street

Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 48):

Occu-Pie!  

WarRI1

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:56 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 43):
You have been espousing Hayek's views for years on these threads. Apparently without knowing it.

Suddenly, I am not really liking this Hayek guy and his views. It must be something that I have read.    

canoecarrier

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 am

Folks there's another thread about all this that's more political. Let's keep this one more fun?

Quoting comorin (Reply 50):
Occu-Pie!  

I think you need to go visit and give us an idea how good the food is down in Liberty Plaza Comorin. I want to know the protestors contingency plan in case of a November blizzard and how good the Occu-pie and organic soup are! I'm sure you can borrow a 99% sign long enough to taste test the food and get some intel?

If you play your cards right you might even get a free shower! Because:

Quoting comorin (Reply 29):
As they say: Personal Hygiene - so Mainstream!

comorin
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 am

Quoting JL418 (Reply 49):

Good post, man. I'd like to keep this thread free from the usual single-minded zombie attacks. I know Wall Street from the inside and it has been very kind to me. Even so, and more so, I am not a big fan of Vampire Squids taking over our lives.

The big problem with regulation of too-big-to-fail firms is that while one would not like them to get so big that the Government has to bail them out, is that if you regulate, capital will just move overseas and create even more havoc.

I hope with your post we can go back to just trying to understand this new movement. I'll see if i can head over there tomorrow and organize a burning of Ayn Rand's books as the first step towards sanity in our country.

baroque

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:37 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 51):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 43):
You have been espousing Hayek's views for years on these threads. Apparently without knowing it.

Suddenly, I am not really liking this Hayek guy and his views. It must be something that I have read.

There was a lot to the interaction between Hayek and Keynes. Also look at some who he taught (eg Galbraith) as well as those who followed rather narrowly SOME of Hayek's suggestions (Thatcher, Reagan and Milton Friedman).

Given a choice between Hayek and Keynes I will indeed chose Keynes, but there is value in what Hayek wrote.

I drew attention to him mostly to point out that while economics theory can be hotly contested, some of the greats were strongly influenced by their apparent opponents, at least at the personal level.

I think I know enough of you from the "pages" or a.net WarRI1 to say that you might have differed with F v Hayek, but you would have got on well with his son Larry.

Pyrex

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:13 am

One Nobel laureate and one of the most influential thinkers of the last century...

So were Yasser Arafat and Adolf Hitler, respectively. That doesn't make any of them worth following just on face value...

More to the point, I have written that, in my opinion, investment and retail banking should never have been allowed to merge together, forming too-big-to-fail corporations like BofA or Citi.

"Too-big-to-fail" has nothing to do with merging investment banking and retail banking, but simply to do with size. You can be "too-big-to-fail" (not my words) being only an investment bank (e.g., Goldman Sachs), a commercial bank (Wells Fargo) or a mix of both. Having the two activities under the same umbrella actually provides you diversification and helps reduce the chances of failure.

Oh, and the only reason banks are big is because customers recognize the need to have a large, global bank they can do business with and that has the available resources to help them when needed. As much as it costs many people to accept, Boeing will never run their trade finance operations through the Puget Sound Credit Union.

Yes? Can you give me more evidence about that?

Total deposit volume in the U.S. - 8.2 trillion. If the repeal of the laws allowed savers to get compensated on their money an extra 0.5% (conservative estimate) that is $41 billion a year.

Don't banks decide who's fit for a mortgage and who isn't? The system has been working for many, many years. It works similarly to the steps one takes before investing in a company's bond, doesn't it?

And that is precisely the crux of it - as many metrics as you want to put on it, in the end of the day the underwriting process of any loan is subjective. What for you might be an unacceptably dangerous risk for someone else might be a perfectly acceptable business opportunity. Saying something like "subprime mortgages shouldn't have ever happen" is overly simplifying the discussion.

The State is not the underwriter of a mortgage but is simply acting in order to give people access to credit at low rates,

OK, so technically true - the government does not underwrite, they just give the money out without any underwriting. Every time someone receives a loan guarantee that allows them to borrow below market, the cost does not disappear, it just gets transferred to someone else. If you don't believe loan guarantees have a cost, just ask Solyndra.

You have similar forms for student loans

Which leads to massive inflation of education costs, people graduating school with worthless degrees and $200K in debt, etc.

WarRI1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 54):
think I know enough of you from the "pages" or a.net WarRI1 to say that you might have differed with F v Hayek, but you would have got on well with his son Larry.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freee...2010/12/american_economic_policy_0

I certainly do not agree with Hayek. I do tend to get along with Larry

KPDX

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:35 am

http://youtu.be/X6YDA52gkpg

Like something out of the Colbert Report...

WarRI1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:56 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 57):

The whole country is a laughing stock, while dealing with a no laughing matter economy. It would be funny, if it was not so tragic.

comorin
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:09 am

Non-partisan update:

OK guys, dissension is appearing in Occupy Wall Street as per New York Magazine. The incessant drumming is driving everybody nuts, but in a flat organization you can't tell anyone to STFU!

So let's see if this utopian crowd can hold it together:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10...ccupy_animal_farm_the_organiz.html

canoecarrier

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:20 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 59):
OK guys, dissension is appearing in Occupy Wall Street as per New York Magazine. The incessant drumming is driving everybody nuts, but in a flat organization you can't tell anyone to STFU!

Interesting article.

I did catch this part "And as I spoke to Michael Glaser, a 26-year-old Chicagoan helping lead winter preparation efforts, a physical fight broke out between a cleaner and a camper just feet from us."

So they are preparing for winter! Are they going to cut down the city's trees to build log cabins and stay Valley Forge style in the middle of the city?

WarRI1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:30 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 60):
So they are preparing for winter! Are they going to cut down the city's trees to build log cabins and stay Valley Forge style in the middle of the city?

With enough money and food, anything is possible. The can go to the net and use Price Line.Com to get a cheap rate, take turns using the rooms to warm up, wash up. The hotel is happy, they are happy.

[Edited 2011-10-20 19:57:53]

comorin
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:52 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 60):
I did catch this part "And as I spoke to Michael Glaser, a 26-year-old Chicagoan helping lead winter preparation efforts, a physical fight broke out between a cleaner and a camper just feet from us."

Now that is going to be very interesting! It does get bitterly cold down there because of the west winds howling across the Hudson. However, NYC has a network of steam pipes that supply heat to buildings, so perhaps our intrepid protesters might be able to tap some of that heat to survive. Hopefully they will just head South and become Occupy Palm Beach.

baroque

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:27 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 56):
I certainly do not agree with Hayek. I do tend to get along with Larry

Ah yes, but a different Larry. The Larry I referred to obviously knew about F Hayek's thoughts, but was pretty much with thee and me WarRI1. And there certainly are parts of F Hayek's ideas that we would all be better off had they been heeded from say 1945 to 1965. But the excessive/slavish following some of his ideas from about 1980 on was even worse. As with most things, balance is all and we do tend to see saw far too much.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 58):
Quoting KPDX (Reply 57):

The whole country is a laughing stock, while dealing with a no laughing matter economy. It would be funny, if it was not so tragic.

Well really it is both tragic AND funny, the funniest thing being they don't really seem to know what they would like to defend (either one could say!!).

BTW, we are seriously missing the Colbert Report here.

comorin
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:37 pm

OK, fickle public now more interested in "Hipster Cop" than OWS:

We have a police officer in plain clothes who wears Ralph Lauren and Burberry ties and has become an internet hit. If you forgive him for the fact that he wears Converse sneakers, he cuts quite the figure at the protest. He says his preferred style is "Country Gentleman", a nice counterpoint to the Grunge-y attire of the protesters. From article at GQ:

mbmbos

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 2):
It's not democracy. It's a bunch of people who can't live off the system and people who don't get to do what they want and make tons of money for it.

Face it, if these people put half the effort into finding a job and working that they've put into their "protests", they would be productive people.

I just had to laugh at this. When I was ten years old (1970) I had a Sunday School teacher who said, "Them hippies say they want peace. Well, they want a piece of this and a piece of that - and they don't want to have to work for it!"

Same old line pulled off of the shelf of stereotypes and platitudes to be used again and again. It's depressing when people use ad hominem attack when they don't agree with other peoples' messages.

canoecarrier

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 61):
With enough money and food, anything is possible. The can go to the net and use Price Line.Com to get a cheap rate, take turns using the rooms to warm up, wash up. The hotel is happy, they are happy.

They're getting food sent to them, and they have something like $500k in funds. That's a lot of showers downtown.

Quoting comorin (Reply 64):

Yes, but Hipster Cop is wise.

From the GQ article, ".... everyone in the Park has their own agenda of why they're here. Like I could talk to a guy and he could be upset that he gets taxed, and I can understand that because I get taxed every two weeks when I get paid. But somebody else might be into, like, Communism or something. Which I'm not really into. I can't relate politically that way. But people have their right to voice their opinion in America. They have a right to demonstrate. It's a good thing. But there's probably 200 people in the park right now and 400 different opinions of why they're here."

The Hipster Cop memes are hilarious.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/12-p...hat-tell-us-more-about-hipster-cop

canoecarrier

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 61):

They're getting food sent to them, and they have something like $500k in funds. That's a lot of showers downtown.

Quoting comorin (Reply 64):

Yes, but Hipster Cop is wise.

From the GQ article, ".... everyone in the Park has their own agenda of why they're here. Like I could talk to a guy and he could be upset that he gets taxed, and I can understand that because I get taxed every two weeks when I get paid. But somebody else might be into, like, Communism or something. Which I'm not really into. I can't relate politically that way. But people have their right to voice their opinion in America. They have a right to demonstrate. It's a good thing. But there's probably 200 people in the park right now and 400 different opinions of why they're here."

The Hipster Cop memes are hilarious.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/12-p...hat-tell-us-more-about-hipster-cop

WarRI1

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 63):
Ah yes, but a different Larry

That was an attempted fake out, obviously I substituted my Larry, because I could not find information about your Larry.   

[Edited 2011-10-21 22:13:06]

JHCRJ700

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:38 am

It's not democracy. It's a bunch of people who can't live off the system and people who don't get to do what they want and make tons of money for it.

Face it, if these people put half the effort into finding a job and working that they've put into their "protests", they would be productive people.

THANK YOU!

Pyrex

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:57 am

Quoting JHCRJ700 (Reply 69):

THANK YOU!

My biggest gripe I have against them is that they seem to be demanding that most ethereal of things, a "job", as if it was their God-given right. I don't care how many Master's degrees you have, until you understand that a job is nothing but a cost center to a company and as such not something you can demand (just like a supplier can't just demand the company buy copper/oil/rock salt/adult diapers from him), you are not prepared to work in the real world, full stop, and no amount of whining and jamboreeing will change that.

WarRI1

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 70):
My biggest gripe I have against them is that they seem to be demanding that most ethereal of things, a "job", as if it was their God-given right. I don't care how many Master's degrees you have, until you understand that a job is nothing but a cost center to a company and as such not something you can demand (just like a supplier can't just demand the company buy copper/oil/rock salt/adult diapers from him), you are not prepared to work in the real world, full stop, and no amount of whining and jamboreeing will change that.Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
http://news.yahoo.com/americans-thin...-occupy-wall-street-152400361.html

The movement is alive, it has fair support, read this article.

airtran737

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 pm

I went by there yesterday and I have to say that I am vindicated with my preconceived notion that it was going to be mainly dirty hippies, and the new generation of unwashed loudmouths. I think a few water cannons could do some good on these people for mutltiple reasons. Many of them need a shower, and it would break up their little drum party.

steeler83

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 70):
My biggest gripe I have against them is that they seem to be demanding that most ethereal of things, a "job", as if it was their God-given right. I don't care how many Master's degrees you have, until you understand that a job is nothing but a cost center to a company and as such not something you can demand (just like a supplier can't just demand the company buy copper/oil/rock salt/adult diapers from him), you are not prepared to work in the real world, full stop, and no amount of whining and jamboreeing will change that.

I do have a job. Grated it's not very high paying, but it does give me health insurance among other things. As good as it is having a job, the one I have just continues to suck the life out of me...

I'm not sure about what to say about some of those guys who are unemployed tho. Yeah, you kinda feel bad for people like that, but at the same time even jobs aren't something you're entitled to. Am I saying that everyone should have a job? Not by any means. I just think the chances of seeking more desirable employment should be a little higher.

And yes, I am very much aware that labor is the biggest cost to just about every industry... The big thing, then, shoud be "what can big government do in order to make domestic labor more feasible and viable for the private sector..." My solution: back the hell off; drastically cut the corprate taxes -- they're among the highest on the planet, arent' they?

Eh, then again, someone has said that demand is relatively higher in certain fields as opposed to others. Coming back to my current job, the thing that especially sucks is that demand is very high for nurses/nurses' aides -- particularly men...

If THIS was my calling, I'd be set...

2707200X

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 am

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 72):
I went by there yesterday and I have to say that I am vindicated with my preconceived notion that it was going to be mainly dirty hippies, and the new generation of unwashed loudmouths. I think a few water cannons could do some good on these people for mutltiple reasons. Many of them need a shower, and it would break up their little drum party.

I guess the first amendment does not apply to those who you disagree with?

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 72):
mainly dirty hippies, and the new generation of unwashed loudmouths.

Because we all know teachers, first responders and others are paid too much and bitch to much and pay to little taxes, they should be happy that they have a job and that they are paid at all.

PSA53

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:21 am

DiamondFlyer

I agree 100% of what you're saying in both replies you noted of the protests.I do not and will not endorse any of these "fake" protests which seems to be hiding a very unsavory crowd of system haters.And several times the media,yes the mainstream media,has even posted of groups waving racist signs blaming the Jewish community of all the problems.Unlike the Tea Party supporters,these folks do not appear to be planted.

But I do believe that there has to be overhaul of abuses of Wall St.,the banks and financial houses.Banks executives are criminals to me who created this economic mess in the first place,padding the they're own interests while people are tossed out of their homes.

But I can't support this protest which is,IMHO, in control of renegades,who as usual,know they're get attention by stirring trouble up.

[Edited 2011-10-26 19:43:00]

WarRI1

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 75):
But I do believe that there has to be overhaul of abuses of Wall St.,the banks and financial houses.Banks executives are criminals to me who created this economic mess in the first place,padding the they're own interests while people are tossed out of their homes.

I agree, how do you propose that this is to be accomplished? Republican control of congress? Democratic control of congress? These people are at the very least, shining a light on Wall Street. Maybe someone will wake up and see what has happened, is happeining, nothing has changed to stop these thieves. Business as usual, they love it. The consumer Protection Agency is a case in point. We cannot even get that going. Of course to some, why do we need it? Obviously not Democrats.

PSA53

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 76):
how do you propose that this is to be accomplished?

Some suggestions:

1) Never mind class action law suits.Those are a joke.Lawyers win-win.Nobody else.
2)Minimum wages are on workers.Now put them on CEO's and executives pay and bonuses until economy turns upward.
3)Eliminate short selling on Wall St..Why should a investor be rewarded for a companies misfortunes and declines?
4) A percentage of reported profits must be re- invested into re-fi/w interest or write off of devalued equity to fix horrible loans such as World Savings/Wachovia/WF multi payment plans.
5)Executive core may hold stock but frozen until departure or retirement of company and after only audit of company.
5b) CEO and executives are no longer allowed to hold stock ,or very little of the companies they represent . But may invest into non-conflict of interest companies.But subordinates may be allowed to buy, given bonuses of stock or stock options.
6)Put more SEC employees aboard to audit.The government failed.It gave way to much trust to the financial community and looked the other way.
7)Victims or people caught in the middle of a possible fraud are absolved.

The most important thing is #4.Mortgage meltdown began this mess.The banks need to take their losses,write off upside mortgages devalues until the loan is right side and that will put people back in they're homes that is now becomes affordable and would restart the economy.If they don't,I would threaten the banks with the big bad "N" word.NATIONALIZE them!!!!!Until the problem is solved.

That's my opinion.

BMI727

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 77):
2)Minimum wages are on workers.Now put them on CEO's and executives pay and bonuses until economy turns upward.

As long as the corporation complies with minimum wage and labor laws, the government gets no say in the compensation of executives or any other employees.

3)Eliminate short selling on Wall St..Why should a investor be rewarded for a companies misfortunes and declines?

It's a legitimate financial move. People should be allowed to bet against companies and securities just as they can bet on them. Short selling is the counter move to being part of a bubble. And short sellers aren't really investors, more like future investors.

4) A percentage of reported profits must be re- invested into re-fi/w interest or write off of devalued equity to fix horrible loans such as World Savings/Wachovia/WF multi payment plans.

Banks already took a huge hit on defaulted loans.

5)Executive core may hold stock but frozen until departure or retirement of company and after only audit of company.

I'm pretty sure most executives are only allowed to trade their company's stock during certain periods after public disclosures. I'm sure it is different with different companies, but there are protections against insider trading.

5b) CEO and executives are no longer allowed to hold stock ,or very little of the companies they represent .

Again, compensation for employees of private companies is just that: private. There is no real reason why executives should not be able to hold stock, particularly since they are often the founders (or their family) of a company. Even if they aren't there is no conflict of interest, in fact the exact opposite. When the shareholders win, the executives win.

If they don't,I would threaten the banks with the big bad "N" word.NATIONALIZE them!!!!!Until the problem is solved.

That is just about the worst possible option. Banks, and all other companies for that matter, need to stay private.

Starbuk7

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

canoecarrier

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Do you think they're ready for the snow forecast for this weekend yet  

steeler83

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 75):
.I do not and will not endorse any of these "fake" protests which seems to be hiding a very unsavory crowd of system haters.And several times the media,yes the mainstream media,has even posted of groups waving racist signs blaming the Jewish community of all the problems.Unlike the Tea Party supporters,these folks do not appear to be planted.

But I can't support this protest which is,IMHO, in control of renegades,who as usual,know they're get attention by stirring trouble up.

I haven't seen such posters of racism, but if you've seen it then who am I to argue against it. That kind of crap I do not go for. Jewish people are to blame? Really? Yeah, Hitler used that one in his campaign to rebuild Germany back in the 1920s and 1930s. Do we need to rehash how that turned out for him?

"The Jews hold a disproportionately large amount of the wealth." Well, if the Christians and Muslims all made the investments the Jewish people made, I guess they'd be the ones to blame then, too... My father-in-law is the 3rd generation of ownerhsip in his family's company. Yeah, shame on him and my great grandfather-in-law for starting a business...   

PSA53

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/22/ny...-for-flashes-of-anti-semitism.html

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 81):
I haven't seen such posters of racism, but if you've seen it then who am I to argue against it.

Here's a link to some of it.Local TV was showing a much wider scope in some other areas of the problem.

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 81):
"The Jews hold a disproportionately large amount of the wealth." Well, if the Christians and Muslims all made the investments the Jewish people made, I guess they'd be the ones to blame then, too... My father-in-law is the 3rd generation of ownerhsip in his family's company. Yeah, shame on him and my great grandfather-in-law for starting a business...

Yeah,shame on them.Independent minded folks actually getting off their butts and starting a business.    Bravo!

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:33 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 80):
Do you think they're ready for the snow forecast for this weekend yet

The NYPD and FD just swung by and removed space heaters and thirteen gasoline cans as they were worried about the tarps catching fire. Needless to say, the OWS protesters were more than co-operative.

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:26 am

Here is a clip about OWS energy usage and how they plan to build 11 bike-generators to sustain their needs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXBgZ1gAPs&feature=player_embedded

Electrical Engineers of the World, unite!

ltbewr

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:05 am

Earlier tonight (Friday), from about 6:30 to 7:15 PM, I walked around and throught the NYC 'camp'. Some of my observations:

While many of the people there believe in the 'core' values, some real leftist extrmeists are also there, the kind that may turn off many fellow protesters and the general public.
They have attracted a lot homeless looking for a place to sleep and get eats, now they have to chase them away, in part a counterdiction in who the '99%' includes.
It was dark, getting cold, the NYFD took away their gas fueled electrical generatiors and any propane tanks (used for food prep), due to a legitment fire danger earlier in the day. Now they either have to buy hot food from the food carts surrounding the area, bring food in or stick with cold food. One person I commented about the loss of power situation with said that bike powered generators were being brought in.
It is a sea of mostly cheap blue plastic tarps of various sizes, cardboard boxes, clothes hanging up drying, posters and signs, flyers, a 'library', a food service tent, a yoga session going on, and so on. More were arriving to stay, many like me walking through the very tight, narrow pathways within the 'camp', seeing what the situation was there.
I spoke to a few people, heard some other conversations.

3 weeks ago this Sunday, I also walked through the DC OWS site, not as many there then, on a larger site than the NYC site is on. Also a real mix of left and way left views, lots of posters and so on.

I suspect that fire and health issues, a declining media interest, the attraction of extreme liberals to the sites, pressure from the locals around these campsites, colder/wetter weather, will mean an end to them, and moving on to other ways to bring out the critical issues of the '99%er's'

canoecarrier

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:44 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 84):
Here is a clip about OWS energy usage and how they plan to build 11 bike-generators to sustain their needs:

There's absolutely no way 11 bike generators can heat that camp. The best they can hope for is power for a computer monitor, charging their phones or some LED lights, which they picked up on from the video. But, cooking food or heating the camp are much more energy intensive.

I would be interested in what output they think they can get from those generators. You can hook an entire gym up to bike powered generators and it won't power much.

Here in Seattle the protestors planned on moving to a Community College but they were rejected by the administration. They've become so marginalized now that I can't even find a news story in the past 24 hours on them here. Probably would have been miserable though, it rained hard here all day.

comorin
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 86):
You can hook an entire gym up to bike powered generators and it won't power much.

True. From watts to kilowatts is a big jump.

In other news, we have a big snowstorm hitting us this weekend in the Northeast. I do hope the protesters will stay safe, but this one is a Biggie.

canoecarrier

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:36 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 87):

In other news, we have a big snowstorm hitting us this weekend in the Northeast. I do hope the protesters will stay safe, but this one is a Biggie.

Apparently, they have a live webcam, so you don't have to walk by Occupy Wall Street anymore. Thank God, it's cold out there  http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

PSA53

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:33 am

I didn't see this posted as I brisked through the replies.

Maybe these folks are the cause of it all and why there are problems in OAK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wobbly

Unions call Wobbly

In the 1990s, the IWW was involved in many labor struggles and free speech fights, including Redwood Summer, and the picketing of the Neptune Jade in the port of Oakland in late 1997.

baroque

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 pm

"Occupy" is now a recognised brand name, apparently doing quite good business.
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?series=3327486#/view/848787

By and large the "movement" seems to be surviving move on . org and snowstorms quite well and even seems to be starting to develop more of a focus. But I suppose this more or less depends on the view point of reporters.

Meanwhile, action on shonky CDOs seems to be developing. We may end up with converging worlds????

flymia

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 79):
This pretty much sums it all up!http://www.youtube.com/embed/OAOrT0O...on=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showi

Good Video.

The protestors in Oakland are really staring to piss me off. They remind me of people just doing something to cause a problem.

How about this for a major fail in leading questions from MSNBC showing their obvious bias. Great job MSNBC!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlHiNEZ1wA

Starbuk7

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:11 pm

And now they are making others of their "99%" lose their jobs.

Restaurant Near Occupy Wall Street Lays Off 21 Employees
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...l-street-restaurant_n_1070615.html

http://www.politicalforum.com/curren...t-rape-prostitution-vandalism.html

DeltaMD90

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Have they accomplished anything yet? I'm surprised the President and the democrats in congress haven't done anything to show them support (besides merely "commending" them.) I'm not trying to be anti-OWS, I'm trying to be as objective as possible, but really, it's been over a month and not even talk of a bill has happened. I still think they are protesting the wrong people IMO, occupy DC/Congress would be a great place to start (cut our spending!)

flymia

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 93):
(cut our spending!)

That is the last thing they want. They want a free ride... More government hand outs.

Have they accomplished anything yet? I'm surprised the President and the democrats in congress haven't done anything to show them support (besides merely "commending" them.)

I don't see President Obama or any people going into elections touching these guys with a 10 foot pole.

windy95

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Have they accomplished anything yet?

Well the latest polls show the 99% to actually be the 30% of known lefties in this country..

Dreadnought

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 94):

I don't see President Obama or any people going into elections touching these guys with a 10 foot pole.

That's nice - after they incited them over the past few years of Class Warfare rhetoric.

steeler83

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:02 pm

I saw something on CNN that really pissed me off. Anyone who thinks that people in their 20s (they mention 18-24 year olds, but I'm 28 and I fare no better than 18-24 year olds) have it made, think again!

Unemployment rate among 18 to 24-year-olds...

SEVENTEEN PERCENT!!!!!

If anyone tells them to quit wasting time and to actually go out and get a job, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY"RE DOING, THROWING A F---ING PARTY??!!! They -- WE HAVE HUGE DEBTS THAT WE CANNOT PAY OFF!! We're trying to start long successful careers that will lead us to a life of fulfillment. We're being cheated out of the American Dream because we lack experience. Ya know, at an interview I had 5 years ago where I saw myself in 5 years. THIS ISN"T WHAT I HAD IN MIND, GODDAMMIT! I'm wiping peoples butts for a less-than-liveable wage given my living with diabetes!!

I know that many people at these protests are less-than-educated and have some rather questionable causes here, but THIS cause I will DIE FOR! Am I saying all college graduates should be given jobs? Again, no. We need to have a better chance tho. 200-plus applicants to every job SUCKS!! Create enough jobs so that there would be 60 or 70 applicants to each vacancy. That 250 by the way, not out of my ass folks. One HR rep actually told me that they went through well over 200 applications. Of course, I was still shafted...

Unions + big government = One Fucked up economy! (pardon my French...)

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 97):
Unions + big government = One Fucked up economy! (pardon my French...)
Quoting steeler83 (Reply 97):
but THIS cause I will DIE FOR!

I thought OWS was against corporate greed and them entering into the political system, not unions and big government    

steeler83

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 98):
thought OWS was against corporate greed and them entering into the political system, not unions and big government

They are... I'm just pointing out what is really wrong with our economy. Corporate greed is a problem; robbing from peoples' 401ks and the like just so some greedy CEO can build a summer home in the Caribbean...

Case en point: Enron and Worldcom...