flight152
Topic Author

Dear Canada, Keep Nickelback Up North.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Detroit Lions' fans are petitioning their performance during the Thanksgiving halftime show for good reason. Their music is truly awful. Whoever authorized this should be demoted to cleaning toilets.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ack-halftime-show-booking-20111103

Airontario

RE: Dear Canada, Keep Nickelback Up North.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 pm

You guys seem to be the only ones that like them :p

Along with Justin Bieber, and Celine Dion.

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 pm

I laughed when I read about that whole thing.

As much as I hate Nickelback, I completely understand having them play a halftime show - they're pretty damn popular.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm confused, Nickelback isn't near my favorites, but I don't despite and hate them. They have a few good songs IMO. I don't think I've ever seen such a harsh reaction against any music group!

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Just be lucky it was Nickleback even though they was crap, instead of Justin Bieber singing instead!
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

af773atmsp

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Why all the hate on Nickelback? I like quite a few of their songs.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

N1120A

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:03 am

You think Nickelback gets overplayed on this side of the border, take a listen up in Canada.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jetblueguy22

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:01 am

Whats with all the hate for Nickelback lately? Im not a fan by any means, but as of recently im seeing it everywhere. Or maybe I just never noticed it before.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

KPDX

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:05 am

I'm far from a Nickelback fan, but I'll agree that this hate is starting to become a little manufactured... Fad anyone? Reminds me of the Creed hate.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:35 am

Agreed with the above posts. I understand people's complaint that most of their music sounds similar/the same, but what's actually wrong with liking their sound? I like quite a bit of their stuff.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

connies4ever

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:31 am

Nickelback now booked for the half-time show at the 99th Grey Cup in Vancouver (our Super Bowl). Hopefully my guys (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) will be there playing.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

greasespot

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:20 am

Hell no. We gifted them to you so do not try and regift them back. If you want to re gift give them to France.

Gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

StarAC17

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:31 am

Quoting airontario (Reply 1):
You guys seem to be the only ones that like them :p

Agreed, I don't know why our bad artists do well internationally and our reasonably good ones don't.

Celine Dion is trapped in Vegas, keep Bieber out of here!!
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Akiestar

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:03 am

Celine Dion

I thought the CRTC didn't consider Celine Dion "Canadian" enough for her to be played on Canadian radio because she's so popular in the U.S.? 

cgnnrw

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Nickelback isn't thaaaat bad. If you think about it Canada has given the world some pretty good musicans and rock bands:

Bare Naked Ladies
Alainis Morissette
Gordon Lightfoot
Brian Adams
Alannah Myles
Nelly Furtado
Sarah Mclachlan
Loverboy
Men without Hats (sorry, its true they're Canadian)
Cowboy Junkies
Shania Twain
Avril Lavigne

The list is nowhere near complete just what I could think of at the moment.

So, although Nickelback may not be everyone's favorite they're still a heck of a lot better than Justin Bieber (can he be put on a no fly list for the entire world?)
A330 man.

einsteinboricua

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm

At least Nickleback has talent...unlike the boy wonder (which a girl claims to be the father of her child)   
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Akiestar

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 14):
If you think about it Canada has given the world some pretty good musicans and rock bands:

Let's add Hot Hot Heat and Simple Plan to that list. 

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 3):
Nickelback isn't near my favorites, but I don't despite and hate them.

I like most music minus country. I am a true metal/hard rock fan, but don't think Nickleback is as bad as people make them out to be. I think it's popular to hate them right now. Most Americans are sheep so they do things in herds.

"Photograph" sucks but "Too Bad" isn't too bad nor is "Figured you Out." I don't own their albums but they aren't as bad as half the BS music out there. At least they don't sample other people's music.
Go big or go home

Silver1SWA

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:38 pm

They have a few good songs IMO

Their songs all follow the exact same formula so I guess if you like one, you like them all. I remember many years ago following their first two hits, there was a website that played one single in the left speaker and the other single in the right speaker and it sounded like one song! Everything matched.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 7):
Whats with all the hate for Nickelback lately? Im not a fan by any means, but as of recently im seeing it everywhere. Or maybe I just never noticed it before.
Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 17):
I like most music minus country. I am a true metal/hard rock fan, but don't think Nickleback is as bad as people make them out to be. I think it's popular to hate them right now. Most Americans are sheep so they do things in herds.

What do you mean, lately? They have been hated for damn near ten years now! It's nothing new. They have been getting booed off stages for many years now... The hate movement is probably gaining steam through viral videos showing crowds throwing stuff at them. Funny stuff, and sad I suppose.

So, although Nickelback may not be everyone's favorite they're still a heck of a lot better than Justin Bieber (can he be put on a no fly list for the entire world?)

Huh? Nickelback are the Justin Bieber of the rock genre! It's all the same pop crap written by the same people and over-processed and marketed the exact same way. They are no more talented than Bieber, IMO.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 18):
What do you mean, lately?

I've only been hearing about the bandwagon hate for around a year now.
Go big or go home

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 8):
I'm far from a Nickelback fan, but I'll agree that this hate is starting to become a little manufactured... Fad anyone? Reminds me of the Creed hate.

I happen to hate both Creed and Nickelback, and I have since they came out. So if it's a fad, it's a heck of a long one!

Fact is, I hate most bands who have that early-2000s vocal style like Creed and Nickelback (there are plenty of others too). Some bands have decent enough songs to make up for it, but not many from that crowd.

Anyway, it's an opinion.

DUDE! Rush!!!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NoUFO

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:58 pm

The list is nowhere near complete just what I could think of at the moment.

And when the moment is gone, you might think of Arcade Fire.
I support the right to arm bears

Silver1SWA

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 20):
I happen to hate both Creed and Nickelback, and I have since they came out. So if it's a fad, it's a heck of a long one!

Fact is, I hate most bands who have that early-2000s vocal style like Creed and Nickelback (there are plenty of others too). Some bands have decent enough songs to make up for it, but not many from that crowd.

Nickelback and Creed are very similar and are hated in similar ways. In fact, Nickelback gained their momentum by touring with Creed in '01-'02... Both bands are the same breed of crap.

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 19):
I've only been hearing about the bandwagon hate for around a year now.

There has been a huge anti-Nickelback movement since at least '03. It's only now gaining mainstream attention...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 22):
Creed

Creed to me is a rip off of Pearl Jam. I've never liked them at all.
Go big or go home

Mike89406

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Don't really care for Nickelback
Along with Justin Bieber
   No thanks...My 12 year daughter can't stand him either.

and Celine Dion.

Not really a fan of hers either.
My favorites from Canada Rush, Neil Young, Steppenwolf, Alanis Morrissite, Yes, Triumph, Corey Hart

[Edited 2011-11-05 13:43:09]

DeltaMD90

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Their songs all follow the exact same formula so I guess if you like one, you like them all.

That's a pretty big generalization. I can only think of 3 or 4 songs I like and they sound pretty different... maybe 2 of them sound alike but the other ones seem like almost different genres. Whatever to each's own

vikkyvik

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Their songs all follow the exact same formula so I guess if you like one, you like them all. I remember many years ago following their first two hits, there was a website that played one single in the left speaker and the other single in the right speaker and it sounded like one song! Everything matched.

I saw a Nickelback concert on DVD once. I could barely tell the songs apart. And trust me, I tried.

In that show, and in all the songs I've heard, I can't recall them ever doing anything that would jump out at me as "hey, this is kinda cool!", vocally, lyrically, instrumentally, anything.

I'll fully admit that they do what they do, and they do it well. And I don't begrudge them any hits they've had or any money they've made (if you can make a living writing generic but extremely popular songs, more power to you!). It's just not my kind of music.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 22):
Both bands are the same breed of crap.

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 23):
Creed to me is a rip off of Pearl Jam.

That's an insult to Pearl Jam.  

connies4ever

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:05 am

Bare Naked Ladies
Alainis Morissette
Gordon Lightfoot
Brian Adams
Alannah Myles
Nelly Furtado
Sarah Mclachlan
Loverboy
Cowboy Junkies
Shania Twain
Avril Lavigne

Take Brian Adams out of the list and I will partially agree with you. He'd be a better musician if he didn't attempt to sing. He can't. Similar to Leonard Cohen.

Add to the list:

Guess Who
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Arcade Fire (not for me, but for many)

Not sure what Alannah Myles has done lately...

Glad you included Men Without Hats, almost forgotten now.

cgnnrw

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:51 am

To all the Nickleback haters....that'sjust one Canadian band but think all the horrible bands Americans have inflicted on Canada!
A330 man.

trident3

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Bare Naked Ladies
Alainis Morissette
Gordon Lightfoot
Brian Adams
Alannah Myles
Nelly Furtado
Sarah Mclachlan
Loverboy
Cowboy Junkies
Shania Twain
Avril Lavigne

What about the mighty Ron Sexsmith?
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

falstaff

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 pm

As a fan of the Detroit Lions I don't care who plays music. I care about the football game. Halftime shows are stupid! Half time is to go get more beer and use the men's room.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

airtran737

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:13 pm

This isn't Canadian Thanksgiving, so we shouldn't be forced to listen to the Jesus singer from Nickelback. Thankfully I will be well into a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue that day, and will most likely spend halftime pissing it out. Ironically the sound of me pissing will be a lot like that of Nickelback, a monotone blur.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

connies4ever

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Quoting trident3 (Reply 29):
What about the mighty Ron Sexsmith?

KMN. Can't stand him. Always sounds whiny to these ears.

Silver1SWA

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 25):

Their songs all follow the exact same formula so I guess if you like one, you like them all.

That's a pretty big generalization. I can only think of 3 or 4 songs I like and they sound pretty different... maybe 2 of them sound alike but the other ones seem like almost different genres. Whatever to each's own

Heh, I felt a generalization was appropriate for such a generic band.

Seriously though.. While its true most mainstream rock follows the same basic song structure, Nickelback seriously seems to use a cookie cutter to produce their music. Most of their hits have similar chord structures, have verses, chorus, pre chorus, solo (if you can call them that) and interludes written and placed in identical ways.

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 31):
This isn't Canadian Thanksgiving, so we shouldn't be forced to listen to the Jesus singer from Nickelback. Thankfully I will be well into a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue that day, and will most likely spend halftime pissing it out. Ironically the sound of me pissing will be a lot like that of Nickelback, a monotone blur.

Haha!

steex

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:40 am

I don't care for Nickelback at all - but if I'm going to fight to keep a Canadian band in Canada, I'll go with Finger Eleven. I'm sure you Canadians don't want them either, but they're your problem, not ours! In exchange, I'm willing to agree to keeping Evanescence or some other terrible band of Canada's collective choice out of your fine country. As a show of good faith, the poutine's on me!  

StarAC17

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 17):

They're really not that bad but they aren't very creative and more annoying than anything else.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 15):
At least Nickleback has talent...unlike the boy wonder (which a girl claims to be the father of her child)

Someone needs to give that boy wonder the memo that he isn't black and he can drop his attempt at an Urban accent.

Also that woman said the sex only lasted 30 seconds.

I would actually have more respect for Justin Bieber if he was a little more badass and not claiming he was still a virgin and that he was rooting Selena Gomez every chance he got.

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 16):
Let's add Hot Hot Heat and Simple Plan to that list.

Don't forget Sum 41 also I'm surprised Hedley hasn't gotten more international attention (or at least attention in the States)

Quoting falstaff (Reply 30):
As a fan of the Detroit Lions I don't care who plays music. I care about the football game. Halftime shows are stupid! Half time is to go get more beer and use the men's room.

Face it only care about the game because they have a decent shot at the playoffs this year  .
Heck with the way Miami is going, Detroit better make it.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Akiestar

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 35):
Don't forget Sum 41

Sum 41 is Canadian?!  

(Sorry, I thought they were American all this time. )

NASCARAirforce

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:35 am

Nickelback isn't thaaaat bad. If you think about it Canada has given the world some pretty good musicans and rock bands:

Bare Naked Ladies
Alainis Morissette
Gordon Lightfoot
Brian Adams
Alannah Myles
Nelly Furtado
Sarah Mclachlan
Loverboy
Cowboy Junkies
Shania Twain
Avril Lavigne

You forgot the biggest Canadian band of all

just 3 guys from Toronto, have a song called "YYZ"

Best drummer in the world...

been around for about 40 years

and then you put Avril Lavigne in there?? She's just as bad if not worse than Nickleback. I remember there was a petition to keep her out of the Van's Warped Tour a few years back.

There is a lot of hate for Nickleback. I am not a fan of them, but I don't hate them either. I would rather hear them than Justin Beiber or some generic wannabe rap act "So and so feat. so and so"

NASCARAirforce

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:46 am

Is it any worse than when Detroit Lions had Bon Jovi in 2002 at the Thanksgiving Half Time Show? Bon Jovi to 80s rock fans is probably what Nickleback is to more modern rock fans.

Not sure if anything tops Dallas Half Time show in 2008 - the Jonas Brothers   

Guess that was the only way to get 10 year old girls to watch football.

WildcatYXU

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:09 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 37):
just 3 guys from Toronto,

Actually, only Geddy is from what's today called Toronto. Alex was born in Fernie, BC and Neil is from Port Dalhousie (now part of St.Catherines).
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

zippyjet

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting Flight152 (Thread starter):
Detroit Lions' fans are petitioning their performance during the Thanksgiving halftime show for good reason. Their music is truly awful. Whoever authorized this should be demoted to cleaning toilets.

I have a men's locker room Nickleback can visit at Penn State.

Biebar deserves a 1 way ticket to that Penn State athletic mens locker room or better yet Iran!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

zippyjet

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:48 am

In regard to Celine Dion:

When she's not knocked up from her geriatric hubby, she's a looker, though I'm not a fan of her music.

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 41):

When she's not knocked up from her geriatric hubby, she's a looker, though I'm not a fan of her music.

A looker, really, you my friend have bad taste in women if you think she's a looker. Shania Twain is a looker, if you want a hot Canadian singer.

connies4ever

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 42):
Quoting zippyjet (Reply 41):

A looker, really, you my friend have bad taste in women if you think she's a looker. Shania Twain is a looker, if you want a hot Canadian singer.

Not a fan of her either as a "singer" (more a shrieker) or a "looker". I'll take my g.f. anytime. Of course I have to say that, but it's true. 5'8", former model, still size 2. I am the luckiest guy in the world.  

zippyjet

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 am

Quoting greasespot (Reply 11):
Hell no. We gifted them to you so do not try and regift them back. If you want to re gift give them to France.

Gs

I say send Bieber to Iran 1 way!

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 42):

I'm a sucker for leggy women. Shanaia is quite the hottie. But women that have an average face but killer body (leggy like Celine) are uper minx's and know how to please a man. Celine is older than Shania and even after squirting out all those baby's by her 80 year old hubby she still has the long shapley legs and body. I get turned on by a woman who might not have the greatest face but a rockin bod with killer legs. Hillary Swank falls in this definition.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 43):
Not a fan of her either as a "singer" (more a shrieker) or a "looker". I'll take my g.f. anytime. Of course I have to say that, but it's true. 5'8", former model, still size 2. I am the luckiest guy in the world.

You sir are indeed lucky you hit the poon lottery!

And, the Bare Naked (Gay) Ladies puleeze!. But, I guess 1 mans meat is another's poison.
I detest the theme song to the Big Bang Theory but, love the show. Abortions like Gay I mean Bare Naked Ladies are the stuff on those shitty Clear Channel soft rock//"Mix" stations like WMIX in Baltimore.

L-188

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Bare Naked Ladies
Alainis Morissette
Gordon Lightfoot
Brian Adams
Alannah Myles
Nelly Furtado
Sarah Mclachlan
Loverboy
Cowboy Junkies
Shania Twain
Avril Lavigne

You forgot that bitch Anne Murray too!

Got to love then "Blame Canada" song from the South Park movie!

[

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 27):
Take Brian Adams out of the list and I will partially agree with you. He'd be a better musician if he didn't attempt to sing. He can't. Similar to Leonard Cohen.

Now, Now the Canadian govenment has appologized for Bryan Adams on numerous occasions.

I have to admit I do like the, "Summer of 69"
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

wn700driver

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:32 pm

They have been getting booed off stages for many years now... The hate movement is probably gaining steam through viral videos showing crowds throwing stuff at them. Funny stuff, and sad I suppose.

My favorite band (Type O Negative) used to have that problem too. In fact there's a part of one of their live albums where the singer starts giving crap back to the crowd, and says "Hey, you wanna throw $h*t up here? You paid 15 dollars, fifteen american dollars to get in. We're gettin' paid to be here. Who's the real @$$hole now?"

One of my favorite quotes...

Yeah, maybe if Pearl Jam sucked a whole lot more... And I don't even like Pearl Jam all that much (except for the Ten album...)
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Silver1SWA

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 46):
My favorite band (Type O Negative) used to have that problem too. In fact there's a part of one of their live albums where the singer starts giving crap back to the crowd, and says "Hey, you wanna throw $h*t up here? You paid 15 dollars, fifteen american dollars to get in. We're gettin' paid to be here. Who's the real @$$hole now?"

One of my favorite quotes...

First of all, you're quoting me in that reply..

But yeah, I heard a sound bite featuring that clip. Great response from the band!

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 46):

Yeah, maybe if Pearl Jam sucked a whole lot more... And I don't even like Pearl Jam all that much (except for the Ten album...)

I don't see any connection to Pearl Jam. The problem with Creed was that self-righteous tool, Scott Stapp. He got quite the wake-up call when the band basically kicked him out in 2004.

swissy

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:26 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 45):
I have to admit I do like the, "Summer of 69"

which part do you like? Summer or 69  

cheerios

wn700driver

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 47):

First of all, you're quoting me in that reply..

But yeah, I heard a sound bite featuring that clip. Great response from the band!

So I am. I wonder how in the hell that happened... Anyway..

Yeah, they were kind of famous for stuff like that. I also remember a show where they packed everything up after half a song, and about half the audience cleared out within ten minutes. When they came back, he said something about getting rid of all those John Mayer fans that had to get home in time for bed. They always had an awesome show by itself, but catching various gags here and there has become a sort of easter egg hunt among the fans; that and all the remakes they do. Nothing better than seeing a Billy Joel song TONified.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 47):

I don't see any connection to Pearl Jam. The problem with Creed was that self-righteous tool, Scott Stapp. He got quite the wake-up call when the band basically kicked him out in 2004.

I think he was just saying that creed wanted to be Pearl Jam. I was thinking that Pearl Jam would have to be a lot worse for that to happen.

That's funny they kicked him out though...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear