Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Drive By Wire Throttle Systems

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm

I've seen several late model cars equipped with drive by wire cable-less throttle control systems. Does anyone have experience with the reliability of these systems? If they are as colicky as the SBW system on the CRJ-200, I'll avoid them at all costs. Any ideas?

desertjets

RE: Drive By Wire Throttle Systems

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Throttle by wire systems have been pretty common now for at least 10 years. It may be a lot harder to find a vehicle that does not have a TBW system.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

rfields5421

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 pm

I recently thought my 3 year old F-150 transmission might be slipping. Took it in, and they replaced a chip. Wasn't aware that I have a TBW and a shift by wire system in a Ford pickup.

As do all other Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 automatic transmission trucks for the past near decade.

[Edited 2011-11-08 15:14:04]
Not all who wander are lost.

Dreadnought

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:45 pm

BMW has had that in the 3-series for nearly 20 years. i had several of those and I never had any issue with them. I think the main reason they use it is for cars that have traction control/stability control - it's a lot easier to override.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

connies4ever

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 am

The Ridgeline truck series has had steer by wire for a few years now. Colleague of mine has one. No problem reports of which I am aware.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TSS

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 4):
The Ridgeline truck series has had steer by wire for a few years now.

Is that actual "steer by wire" as in no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and steering linkage, or is it merely electronically controlled power steering assist rather than the older purely hydro-mechanical version?

I did some poking around and came up with this exploded diagram of a Honda Ridgeline steering rack, and it looks pretty conventional to me with no electric motors or servos in evidence.
Quoting connies4ever (Reply 4):
Colleague of mine has one. No problem reports of which I am aware.

Could your colleague be mistaking a system where the power steering pump is run by a dedicated electric motor rather than by a belt on the front of the engine for true "drive by wire"?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Kent350787

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 am

Pretty sure my last 3 cars (golf iv, Subaru outback and skoda scout) have all be dbw throttle, and no issues whatsoever....
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Aesma

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 pm

My 2002 Citroën C3 has throttle by wire, it works without a problem. Without a carburetor, a classic throttle is meaningless anyway, there is always a computer that decides what to do. And if you have an automatic transmission, there is that, too.

I don't have stability or traction control, but the power steering is electric (very powerful) and there also is an assistance when braking abruptly, the pedal goes all the way down on its own (now mandatory in my country, but not in 2002).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:41 am

Thanks for the many replies! It looks like TBW and SBW are pretty reliable from the sound of things.

TSS

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:18 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 5):
Could your colleague be mistaking a system where the power steering pump is run by a dedicated electric motor rather than by a belt on the front of the engine for true "drive by wire"?

Too late to edit; that should read "steer by wire" rather than "drive by wire".

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Reply 8):
Thanks for the many replies! It looks like TBW and SBW are pretty reliable from the sound of things.

Throttle by wire- Yeah, pretty reliable, although Toyota had a massive recall a year or two ago due to problems with some of their gas pedals used with this system. On the other hand, in the past various manufacturers have had recalls due to problems with purely mechanical throttle linkages, so it's not like TBW is markedly less reliable.
Steer by wire- Have we come up with any production vehicle that actually uses a steer by wire system?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

N243NW

Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:30 pm

I have a question for those with TBW cars:

My 13-year-old car (with a conventional throttle cable link) has the advantage of providing feedback during cruise control; i.e. the gas pedal moves up and down as the car goes up and down hills. I drove my mom's new Subaru the other week (I assume it is TBW) and the pedal did not move as more or less throttle was commanded during cruise control.

I much prefer having a system where you can feel what the cruise control is doing through the accelerator pedal...does anyone with TBW still experience this? Or does the pedal on all new cars just get "turned off" when cruise is engaged?
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.