Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Have You Ever Parked In Handicap Zone?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm in a Starbucks right now, saw someone pull in, all slots were full except for the handicap slot, so she hesitates, then pulls right in.....unbelieveable!  

Have you ever done this?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

northstardc4m

RE: Have You Ever Parked In Handicap Zone?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Nope, never will either...

But those "family/expecting/small children/storkzone" marked spaces are fair game as far as i'm concerned (I HATE those signs and spaces!).
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Jalap

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Yes, I have, and got fined.

But I honestly didn't see the markings! They were faded away on the ground and I didn't notice the sign.

However, I did know parking wasn't allowed there. I was quite convinced I was using a place reserved for a city council member and knew they weren't having a meeting...

ALTF4

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 1):
But those "family/expecting/small children/storkzone" marked spaces are fair game as far as i'm concerned

Fortunately stores around here have realized how silly those were and have gotten rid of them.

How about the "15 minute pick-up parking only" spots? Half the time the place won't patrol those, and it's too much hassle for them to call the towing company.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

KingFriday013

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:29 pm

We have, when my brother had surgery on his leg and we got a tag for our car. When we got my grandmother's 92 Taurus, her tag didn't expire for a while longer so we used it as necessary.

At my school, you can only park in the handicap spots if your permit sticker indicates so, otherwise you'll be fined -- even if you have a handicap tag (unless you have a visitors pass or something).

-J.
Will add later

LFutia

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:56 pm

No I have not. But I have an app on my phone called parking mobility. they allow you to take pictures of people's cars who do not have the tag or handicapped logo on their license plate and send it in. They claim that the city will send the offender a ticket and the money goes to charity.

http://www.parkingmobility.com/

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

RobertNL070

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:36 pm

No. I don't have a permit.

And I wouldn't want a dent in the side of my car from somebody's wheelchair or walking frame.
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 pm

What's sad is that while I was there, a 2nd vehicle pulled into that space and though I didnt really look for a sticker like I did on the first car, tje occupents didn't look handicapped.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

bohica

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:40 pm

"family/expecting/small children/storkzone" marked spaces are fair game as far as i'm concerned

The local Lowes store has a spot reserved for their "employee of the month." It is located in front of the store. As far as I'm concerned that spot is fair game as well.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 8):

Why do you feel that way. It's private property after all, correct?

lewis

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 pm

No I haven't.

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 7):
I didnt really look for a sticker like I did on the first car, tje occupents didn't look handicapped.

More than half of the people that have the handicap plates/tag that I have seen getting out of their cars and walking around do not look like handicapped to me at all. I am not sure what the criteria are for being legally considered one but I am guessing a lot of things that shouldn't be in there are on that list.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Have you ever done this?

Yes all the time? But then I have a handicap mirror hanger because of a bad knee.

Quoting lewis (Reply 10):
More than half of the people that have the handicap plates/tag that I have seen getting out of their cars and walking around do not look like handicapped to me at all.

My oldest son had a hip replacement. Since everything has healed, he walks just any normal person. However, because he had this hip replacement when he was 35 and they only last 20 to 25 years his doctor wants him to walk as little as possible, to make the replacement hip last as long as possible.

So my so my perfectly healthy looking 40 year old son has a permanent handicap license plate and parks in handicap spaces. But when he gets out and was away he doesn't look handicapped.

There is an old adage "you can't judge a book by its cover".

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:59 pm

It really pisses me off when handicapped people not only get the best parking spaces but they get them for free to boot, now I wouldn't have an issue if they had to pay to park like the rest of us.

BAViscount

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting Jalap (Reply 2):
Yes, I have, and got fined.

But I honestly didn't see the markings! They were faded away on the ground and I didn't notice the sign.

Exactly the same here. I was house sitting for a friend who lived in a road where parking was notoriously bad. I saw a space, thought how lucky I was, parked and left the car till the next morning. There's nothing like seeing a ticket on your windscreen to make you suddenly notice the markings on the road and the sign!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

lewis

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 11):
There is an old adage "you can't judge a book by its cover".

When almost 1 in 5 (18% if I am not mistaken) claim some sort of disability then there must be something wrong with what disability means for the government.

However, because he had this hip replacement when he was 35 and they only last 20 to 25 years his doctor wants him to walk as little as possible, to make the replacement hip last as long as possible.

Which is exactly what I mean, although a very valid reason for avoiding to walk a lot, this does not make your son disabled or handicapped with the absolute sense of the term. I do know that the plates/tags are given for many conditions which are not always obvious. I started noticing it after having a quick chat with my neighbor, who has cerebral palsy. He was not very happy with not being able to find spots to park his car because people who are perfectly able to walk use them. The people I usually see are not picking someone up and do not look like they are being careful, like your son would be, when walking. If you can run in and out of the 7/11 from the handicapped parking spot, then you can definitely walk a few more meters.

RobertNL070

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 pm

My oldest son had a hip replacement. Since everything has healed, he walks just any normal person. However, because he had this hip replacement when he was 35 and they only last 20 to 25 years his doctor wants him to walk as little as possible, to make the replacement hip last as long as possible.

So my so my perfectly healthy looking 40 year old son has a permanent handicap license plate and parks in handicap spaces. But when he gets out and was away he doesn't look handicapped.

I hope your son manages to keep his weight down. Or does he manage to exercise by other means?
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

steeler83

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Considering I used to be the official driver for the assisted living community I work for, I kinda had to park in handicapped spots. I did see one slime ball pull into one JUST as I was about to do so with a wheelchair-bound resident. The moron wasn't even remotely handicapped! She was about as young as I am! The nerve of people!!!

Oh, and this was at Brandywine Hospital near Coatesville, PA. I guess that should explain something...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Mir

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 8):
The local Lowes store has a spot reserved for their "employee of the month." It is located in front of the store. As far as I'm concerned that spot is fair game as well.

If I were the store manager, I'd be on the phone to the towing company as soon as I saw that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 15):
I hope your son manages to keep his weight down. Or does he manage to exercise by other means?

He has lupus and kidney disease and has a weight problem. He is about 15 pound under weight.

2707200X

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:46 pm

I have never parked at a handicap zone but before the laws where enforced where I live, I routinely saw cars without placards parked in there spaces.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

ShyFlyer

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 am

Nope, never. I typically park in the space furthest away from the entry doors unless it's raining. Even then I won't parking in a handicapped spot.

More than half of the people that have the handicap plates/tag that I have seen getting out of their cars and walking around do not look like handicapped to me at all.

As mentioned before, sometimes people have underlying health issues that are not readily apparent to the causal observer. Once upon a time I worked with a guy that had a heart condition. He had a placard permanently assigned to him. He only used it when he felt tired.

I am not sure what the criteria are for being legally considered one but I am guessing a lot of things that shouldn't be in there are on that list.

The criteria varies by State usually. There are a lot of conditions that should be on there. Years ago, an investigative journalist exposed how easy it was to get a placard (we issues those instead of plates in most cases) in the state of New Mexico. He filled out the paperwork, using his cat's name, and submitted it. The placard was approved. The medical condition used? Felis domesticus. Turns out the state wasn't even paying attention to the paperwork. They were approving just about anything submitted.

Now we have a problem with people "borrowing" the placard of a family member. The state has started putting the picture of the person that the placard has been issued to in an effort to prevent this. Some of the worst offenders where UNM college students.
I lift things up and put them down.

kiwiinoz

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:17 am

I have not. I commit plenty of traffic offences and do not wish to broaden this portfolio.

Braybuddy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Have you ever done this?

Used to regularly at a gym I used to go to (which went bust last March). There was a bank of about ten handicapped spaces, along with a similar number of "mothers shopping" spaces close to the door (which I used as well). In all the years I was there, I only ever saw a handful of people who could be described as handicapped (most of these were injuries of some sort) in the place.

Crazy.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:00 am

I have never parked in handicap spaces, or family spaces if I don't have the kids with me. Nor have I parked in zones with electric charging stations. I'm a good guy...promise.
But, family spaces are there for 2 reasons, one, getting a baby seat in and out of the car is a big hassle in a regular sized parking space. Second, preventing damage to YOUR car when kids open their doors and slam them into the car parked next to them. It pisses me off royally to come out and find a dent in my car due to some little bugger opening their door... What I do oppose though, is the fact that they are often located closest to the entrances. No need for that, parents are young and can walk. Close to the entrance there should only be handicap or senior parking.

Regarding handicap spaces, check 1.25   In Swedish, but you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrSIH4IShfw
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:07 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 22):

That's really interresting, I have always wondered why someone that goes to gym to walk on a treadmill must park as close to the door as possible?
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

DocLightning

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:39 am

Take a photo of the vehicle with the license place, then take a photo of it sitting in the spot. Then call the cops.

I spent six weeks on crutches and I had a handicapped placard. I *NEEDED* those spots. I never really appreciated how many able-bodied people abuse handicapped facilities until I was disabled. A curse on the gonads of anyone who steals those spots from those who need them.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Braybuddy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Quoting johnkrist (Reply 24):
That's really interresting, I have always wondered why someone that goes to gym to walk on a treadmill must park as close to the door as possible?

Rain or cold weather. We get a lot in Ireland . . .

na

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes, I did, once, about two years ago, at a supermarket with my old parents on board who, both over 80, cant walk poperly anymore. I got a ticket (never expected it as I thought on a private parking lot it doesnt count) despite telling that it was only because of my parents disability. I think I was treated unfair.

But under normal circumstances, being alone, I would never park in a handicap zone. Its a no-go- like parking in second row/on the street (imho thats even worse).

Ken777

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:32 am

When my wife was going through 18 months of pretty brutal chemo we had a sticker and used them when necessary. After her initial 30 days of chemo to get into remission she (and subsequent blood transfusions) she had so massive steroids and that killed most of her muscle strength and had to crawl up the 7 stairs to our house on her hands and knees. Times like that we used wheel chairs. Other times when she was stronger she wanted to walk as much as she could (typical of a good physical therapist!) and we parked normally.

The best part of having one of those stickers is not having to use them. We just hit 5 years in remission for her and that is more important than good parking spots.

na

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:45 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 28):
The best part of having one of those stickers is not having to use them. We just hit 5 years in remission for her and that is more important than good parking spots.

In Germany its very hard to get such stickers. You have to prove you are disabled and the process to get it is very timeconsuming and hard for someone who cant walk properly or has other major problems. I know someone who, in his 30s now, has a rare desease making his bones crash at the slightest odd move. He has a disabled-sticker. But he can walk much better than my 80-year-old mum, and she doesnt get such a sticker because she´s just old. How unfair.

greasespot

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm

$500 ticket here which i happily write. in fact i usually sit near spots to write reports.

gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

MD11Engineer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Never conciously (I might have missed a sign on an occasion or two, but I´m not aware of it). There are a few things I DO respect. Additionally I pride myself of my ability to go hiking, 20-30 km cross country with a 20kg rucksack on my back, and it would be embarrassing to shirk a little walk down the parking lot.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Quoting na (Reply 29):
In Germany its very hard to get such stickers. You have to prove you are disabled and the process to get it is very timeconsuming and hard for someone who cant walk properly or has other major problems.

In Georgia (USA) where I live, you don't have to prove anything. Your doctor is the only person that can approve you for a handicap license. Doctors have a form that they fill out. You then take that form to the car licencing office where they will issue you a handicap licence plate if your disability is permanent or a temporary mirror hanger plaque.

TLG

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 pm

My wife usually gets a temporary handicapped parking card in about the 3rd trimester of her pregnancies because walking gets very painful for her. Her Dr. fills out a form that she sends in to the DOT, and they send a card good for 6 months. It's nice being valid that long because she has a couple months to use it after the baby is born.

I vowed to not use it when she wasn't along, which is legal since all that is required is that the card is hanging on the rear view mirror. I did use it once though when handicapped spaces were the only ones I could find that were available.

-TLG

CanadianNorth

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:46 pm

I did not too long ago... The ground up here (obviously) was snow covered, so the only indication was the sign posted infront of the parking spot on the side of the building. Two ladies were on their smoke break and standing between the sign and myself, so I didn't get a chance to see it (not trying to blame them, it was just a case of sh*t happens.) I only noticed it was a handicap spot when I got in the truck to leave about 20 minutes later. I never got in any kind of trouble, but I sure felt like an ass. At least I know for next time though.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

steeler83

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 pm

similar number of "mothers shopping"

UGH! I LOATHE that with a passion! Uh, we didn't have that back in the day when I was a tyke, and I don't remember my mom complaining about how far we had to walk to the door or curb! We turned out fine... The parking lot gnomes didn't harm us!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Coal

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:39 pm

Yes, and loved it! I got a 6 month handicap permit when I was in college as I dislocated my knee during soccer (not just the patella, but the femur literally was dislocated from the tibiae). It was great as there were about 10,000 students who owned cars and only about 1,500 parking lots. Parking a few meters away from the class room was great!

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

757MDE

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 am

No I don't, wouldn't (unless I was handicapped or was transporting someone with a handicap) and it really pisses me off people abusing such things. Then again, mostly everything about this country's traffic idiosyncrasy pisses me off.
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

EA CO AS

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Take a photo of the vehicle with the license place, then take a photo of it sitting in the spot. Then call the cops.

I spent six weeks on crutches and I had a handicapped placard. I *NEEDED* those spots. I never really appreciated how many able-bodied people abuse handicapped facilities until I was disabled.

I had a handicapped placard when I'd broken my knee last year, and like you, I definitely needed it. I'll admit it was a nice perk, particularly since the spaces are nice and wide, eliminating the potential for door-dings to my car from other, less-careful drivers.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:28 am

Quoting TLG (Reply 33):
It's nice being valid that long because she has a couple months to use it after the baby is born.

That's cheating right there, she has a baby not a disability, you should hand in the card as soon as the baby pops out.

Go3Team

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:41 am

I have, both my father in law and mother in law both have their own placard to use when they are not using their own vehicle. Trying to find an empty spot with them in the car can be a real chore sometimes.
Yay Pudding!

TLG

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 39):
That's cheating right there, she has a baby not a disability, you should hand in the card as soon as the baby pops out.

Ha, did you ever have a C-section? It's actually worse for awhile.

I can't see how it can be called cheating. I can understand someone calling it unethical although I don't agree. Cheating? No. Illegal? No. The permit is valid for 6 months. I've never seen the handicapped spaces all used anyway. Most of them are usually empty.

-Tom

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:42 am

Quoting TLG (Reply 41):
Ha, did you ever have a C-section? It's actually worse for awhile.

Sure have, all 3 of my kids have been C-sections; I guess Norwegian women are built tougher than US women  

garpd

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 20):
Nope, never. I typically park in the space furthest away from the entry doors unless it's raining. Even then I won't parking in a handicapped spot.

So do I! Yet, everytime I do, when I come out I find a bunch of cars and vans clustered around mine!

The only time I've parked in a handicap spot was at the dead of night (and I'm talking 1am here) when I stopped to withdraw cash from the hole-in-the-wall (ATM in Americanese). The car park was empty, the store was closed and all 30 handicap spots were empty too. I decided no one would mind.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

bj87

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:30 pm

I accidentally parked in a handicapped zone once. When I had just moved back from the USA to the Netherlands I went to go pick up a friend at the train station. In the US handicap zones are clearly marked with blue lines on the pavement and a large sign. In the Netherlands there usually is relatively small blue sign in front of or next to the parking spot and the regular white lines on the pavement. I checked the lines, which was pointless, and missed the sign. In the end this mistake earned me a hefty 180 euro parking ticket. 

andz

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm

This morning I was at the gym at 5am and despite the fact that more than two thirds of the car park was vacant, all 3 handicapped spots where occupied and none of the cars had a handicapped sign.

You go to gym and you're too lazy to walk a few extra metres from a regular parking spot? Disgusting.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

babybus

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm

I never have but wouldn't rule it out merely for the protest value.

Our local supermarket has hundreds of these spaces that are never used. Also people with no kids use them.

I don't like any discrimination, even positive.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

N1120A

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:08 pm

I never, ever park in a disabled spot during the day or for any period of time. I have been at the ATM late at night and parked in one just to get in and out quickly.

But those "family/expecting/small children/storkzone" marked spaces are fair game as far as i'm concerned (I HATE those signs and spaces!).

Totally. Those are a huge problem in Canada.

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 4):
At my school, you can only park in the handicap spots if your permit sticker indicates so, otherwise you'll be fined -- even if you have a handicap tag (unless you have a visitors pass or something).

It was this way at UCLA too. That said, I had a friend who had a disabled tag and it was a very easy process to get a permit. Legally, they must give the permits out and can only charge a nominal fee (compared to the exorbitant parking permit charges for everyone else).

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 39):

There are all sorts of reasons why a woman who has just had a baby still may be disabled. Give her a break.

Quoting Babybus (Reply 46):
Our local supermarket has hundreds of these spaces that are never used. Also people with no kids use them.

If its the "mommy" spots, I understand your frustration. If its actual handicapped parking spaces (they are pretty uniformly blue around the world), then you shouldn't complain.

Incidentally, the number of disabled parking spaces is usually regulated by law and based on the number of overall spaces in the parking lot.

Quoting Babybus (Reply 46):
I don't like any discrimination, even positive.

Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

spudsmac

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Used to regularly at a gym I used to go to

The irony...

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 47):

There are all sorts of reasons why a woman who has just had a baby still may be disabled. Give her a break.

If it's anything serious she shouldn't be up and about anyway. Having a baby isn't a disability, my wife's had 3 via C-section and she has never been in a position where she would need a disability card.