Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Well, I Was Gonna Learn Flash Animation, But...

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:32 am

So, according to Klaus, Flash is a lot further along on its way out.

I have a nifty teach-yourself-Flash book at home (that came with a CD which is now broken... sigh) with which I had of course planned to learn some nifty animamated things - just like the book says - dress up your presentations with cool animations - and also, as NoUFO said in Klaus's thread, to create "courseware." My employer has us take care of our yearly compliance training via these tidy, painless, effective little Flash thingies - which I wanted to learn how to create in order to introduce my teammates to some networking concepts that we're all pretending they currently understand.

Well, if Flash is gone, I do not want to waste my time learning it. So what should I learn in its place? (Or, is Flash gone only from mobile computing and still good on desktops? Even if so, seems like mobile's the ball game. As much as my presentations are hosted on desktops, I want my teamies to be able to do the courses on their iPads, if that's how they'd like it.)
Pancakes are delicious.

Brendan03

RE: Well, I Was Gonna Learn Flash Animation, But...

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 am

HTML5 Get!!1

It's the future.
Coolier than thou.

Klaus

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:29 pm

HTML 5 is indeed the way to go in the long run, then, which means acquainting yourself with HTML, JavaScript, the DOM model and SVG.

Flash isn't quite dead yet; It still exists (barely) on some mobile devices (notably excluding iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch), it just won't get on any new ones. And on the desktop it is still widespread but with recent developements you can essentially just consider it a temporary solution any more.

The thing is that Adobe has some ready-made animation tool kits but there is not yet the same level of HTML 5 authoring tools. You still need to do more "on foot" there than with these Flash development tools.

The question is if this difference is large enough for you to still get into Flash development (some of the tools will cost you money) at this late point in its life cycle. Depending on your existing skill set and your future prospects and interests it could still make sense, but it's clearly in decline and of limited future use.

D L X

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 2):
JavaScript

Shudder.

It's hard to believe in 2011 that JavaScript is still around. I guess it took there being something worse than JavaScript (Flash) to keep it around. I never would have thought it in 1999.