Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

QantasA333
Topic Author

How Often?! Apple Sale

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:41 pm

How often do Apple have a one day sale? It's the first I've seen them do something like this: http://store.apple.com/au

Klaus

RE: How Often?! Apple Sale

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Just that one time a year.

You can always have a look at the refurbished items on sale as well, however; These will usually be exactly like new ones with full warranty and all accessories, they are just not actually new but repaired or just restocked. You can get a decent cut on these in many cases all year round, you'll just have a limited selection.

AirPacific747

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Isn't it because of the so called 'black friday' in the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Klaus

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 2):
Isn't it because of the so called 'black friday' in the US?

Yes, indeed. They're extending it to all their global markets, even though most of them don't normally have that tradition.

eaa3

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:21 pm

It's not really a sale. 5 or 10% off is not a sale. It's more of a "token" sale.

czbbflier

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 am

Notwithstanding Klaus' statement that this happens one time per year, I have never, ever heard of Apple's products discounted prior to this year.

I find it unnerving that seemingly, Steve Jobs's body is barely cold and Apple's management is already swerving off-course and taking the company down a new path- one that is going to undermine the premium nature of the brand.

I wonder if this highly publicized sale is the beginning of the end for Apple as we know it and in time will see it became just another 'processing unit' like Dell or Sony?

Stabilator

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:01 am

$5 off an iTouch (or whatever it was at Best Buy) is hardly a sale. Ditto for $45 off an iPad.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Klaus

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:46 am

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 5):
Notwithstanding Klaus' statement that this happens one time per year, I have never, ever heard of Apple's products discounted prior to this year.

That may be, but they've been doing that for quite a few years already. I've bought the iMac I'm writing this on two years ago at a Black Friday price. If I remember correctly, I've bought my iPod nano six years ago that way as well.

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 5):
I wonder if this highly publicized sale is the beginning of the end for Apple as we know it and in time will see it became just another 'processing unit' like Dell or Sony?

"Highly publicized"? Really? It's been pretty much exactly the same as the previous ones; People are just noticing more what Apple is doing nowadays.

And it's almost heartwarming to see someone with a "The end is at hand!" sign picketing Apple once again. It's been such a long-running tradition…!   

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 6):
$5 off an iTouch (or whatever it was at Best Buy) is hardly a sale. Ditto for $45 off an iPad.

It's a sale. Given that they have a hard time keeping up with demand as it is, Apple is just not forced to do the massive discounts you may see elsewhere, so they don't.

Brendan03

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:57 am

I had the misfortune of going into an Apple store on the 25th for an appointment to speak to the Genius bar about an on-going issue with my MacBook Pro.

The crowds. Oh my god. It was just insane in there. It's good to see that Apple are still doing well in terms of sales, iPads were going out the door at an amazing rate but as someone who hates dealing with crowds, It was torture for me.
Coolier than thou.

bill142

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:57 am

Quoting klaus (Reply 7):

"Highly publicized"? Really? It's been pretty much exactly the same as the previous ones; People are just noticing more what Apple is doing nowadays.

Really? I've opted in to receiving Apple marketing and this year was the first year I've ever received anything mentioning a sale.

Klaus

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 9):
Really? I've opted in to receiving Apple marketing and this year was the first year I've ever received anything mentioning a sale.

I've never received Black Friday promotion from Apple. Are you sure it was from Apple directly, not just from an external distributor?

czbbflier

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Quoting klaus (Reply 7):
And it's almost heartwarming to see someone with a "The end is at hand!" sign picketing Apple once again. It's been such a long-running tradition…!

Klaus, you should know better... I am not picking a fight with you or Apple. Frankly, I feel a bit insulted that you lump me in with the usual rabble-rousers who predict the demise of Apple out of their irrational hate for them. On the contrary, my statement comes from a concern that the magic essence of what makes Apple the success that it is is being eroded. I will suffer the indignity of having to state that I am a staunch supporter of Apple and wish for its long-term success.

The success of Apple is in its guarding of the brand on all sides. That includes price. Many companies have failed because they got into the sale cycle... nobody would buy until it was on sale. If I know I can buy Apple products on one single day every year at a discount, do you think I'll help them out with their cash flow by buying a computer in March? What happens when everybody gets 'trained' that they can get a deal one day of the year?

Apple has many years to go... and many years to slip into being just another computer company. In my view, it has taken less than 3 months to begin that process.

When Steve Jobs was fired from Apple 1.0, it was slowly spinning itself into irrelevance. When Jobs came back as CEO under post NeXT Apple 2.0, suddenly Apple was back.

Might there be a saviour with real vision if management f*cks up again? Somehow, with his corpse 6' under the California dirt, I kinda doubt it.

Perhaps in Germany there have been "Black Friday" promotions for several years. Frankly, this year is the first time I have ever heard of "Black Friday". We may have had deep discount sales around American Thanksgiving to keep Canadians on the northern side of the border but all these sales had their own names... and the day itself never had a special name.

Not insignificantly, it was partly through Apple that I learned that suddenly in Canada we had a "Black Friday".

Apple may even have had discounted products on this day in Canada in years past but it was never a big deal. This year, it was a very big deal.

It may have been just another Black Friday sale to you. It was a major marketing strategy re-direction to me. And it's not a good move in my eye.

Peace.

Klaus

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 11):
Frankly, I feel a bit insulted that you lump me in with the usual rabble-rousers who predict the demise of Apple out of their irrational hate for them.

Come on – I just found the idea genuinely entertaining that yet another repetition of the usual annual Black Friday promotion should suddenly have turned into a sign of the impending apocalypse...  

Nothing but my own amusement at the thought was present in my post. You may just as well relax and take off the flame-retardant suit.

The success of Apple is in its guarding of the brand on all sides. That includes price. Many companies have failed because they got into the sale cycle... nobody would buy until it was on sale. If I know I can buy Apple products on one single day every year at a discount, do you think I'll help them out with their cash flow by buying a computer in March? What happens when everybody gets 'trained' that they can get a deal one day of the year?

The discounts are big enough to make it one of the busiest days in the year for Apple, but they are not big enough to cause a significant dropoff otherwise. They are certainly not large enough to dominate the much more relevant questions of product life cycle, personal upgrading needs and financial viability (although the latter two obviously have a nice correlation with the start of the christmas shopping season).

So some people will sometimes take advantage of the once-a-year discounts, most will not. For me it just happened to fit when I got my iMac (it had just come out, I needed an upgrade, the money was available and the model I wanted had a decent discount on Black Friday).

Perhaps in Germany there have been "Black Friday" promotions for several years.

In every single one of the cases I'm aware of it was merely an extension of the same happening in the USA. Thanksgiving is not a holiday over here, it is on a completely different day and most people aren't even aware of some churches observing it, so Black Friday also has no german tradition whatsoever – it is 100% imported, and even so it is rare enough. I'm not aware of any other business in Germany making an event of it.

Apple may even have had discounted products on this day in Canada in years past but it was never a big deal. This year, it was a very big deal.

Was there really a substantial difference in how Apple handled it, or did you just never notice before?

It may have been just another Black Friday sale to you. It was a major marketing strategy re-direction to me. And it's not a good move in my eye.

I have not noticed Apple changing anything from previous years in that regard.

Google coughed up numerous links regarding "Apple", "Black Friday" and "Canada". One example:

Apple Black Friday Event Teaser Posted Online | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

Quoting iphoneincanada.ca:
BY GARY NG ON NOVEMBER 23RD, 2010

Black Friday happens this week in the US, and it’s one of the biggest shopping days ever. Apple has a Black Friday sale every year, which usually equates to discounts on Macs, iPods, and accessories. Typically the discounts are the equivalent of the Education Store, sometimes even more.

Click here to view the Black Friday sales in Canada from last year. Here were the discounts from 2009, which you can keep an eye on to compare with this Friday:

8-10% on entry level Mac configurations
4-5% on the more advanced Mac configurations
8-10% off iPod touch
4-6% off iPod Nano
4-15% off remaining accessories (software, routers, keyboards, mice, etc)
__ % off iPads for 2010??

So Apple Canada has held Black Friday sales at least in the two previous years as well (with the same level of discounts we're observing now), just by going with that article. Looks a lot like you just missed it before.

Which would not be surprising – Apple has gained a lot of visibility during the past years, and most of all during the last.

Peace.

Of course!