Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BR076
Topic Author

Racist Nutcase On Tram

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:28 pm

Wow, what to say about this woman, I think the fact that she carried her little son on her lap saved her for being seriously beaten up.

the story

The movie
ú

BMIFlyer

RE: Racist Nutcase On Tram

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm surprised it wasn't posted on here earlier....

This kind of behaviour is appalling and I'm mighty glad the transport police have charged her with the offence of racial abuse. She has been to court today and is currently locked up awaiting trial. I hope her child is taken away from her.

Lee

Ps. The link you posted doesn't work - this one does.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15933829

[Edited 2011-11-29 11:34:05]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AF340

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 1):
I'm surprised it wasn't posted on here earlier....

Yeah, I was waiting for it to be posted. Daily Mail has had a field day with it over the past few days.

I'm mighty glad the transport police have charged her with the offence of racial abuse.

This, personally, worries me. I do live in the UK and I do understand that she has -- under UK law -- committed a crime. But I just do not believe that, other than the fact she has a child, the authorities should be prosecuting her. Yes, she may have vile and completely misinformed beliefs, but as bad as what she said is, she should have the right to say it. It does worry me that people can be put in jail for simply saying something without any physical action to back it up. Kick her off the tram for aggravating the peace or generally being a nuisance, but to charge her is a bit much. Freedom of speech extends especially to those we do not agree with.

Acheron

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
Freedom of speech extends especially to those we do not agree with.

There is a difference between voicing your opinion and verbally assaulting people.

wn700driver

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
Kick her off the tram for aggravating the peace or generally being a nuisance, but to charge her is a bit much. Freedom of speech extends especially to those we do not agree with.

I'm not really going to debate the merits of that one way or another, as the limits of "free" speech are purely subjective where ever you are (and america, all claims to the contrary, is no exception). I will say though that the video is of low overall quality where evidence is concerned; there is no indication what precipitated the event. However, it does look as though even here in america, she'd have likely gotten herself a citation for disturbing the peace.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

DeltaMD90

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 3):
Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):

There is a difference between voicing your opinion and verbally assaulting people.

Yeah, I have to agree with Acheron. It goes beyond freedom of speech IMO

AR385

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 4):
I will say though that the video is of low overall quality where evidence is concerned;

What she is saying is pretty clear. She is also threatening to kill someone, the coloured woman in front of her. In my book, that is enough to charge her.

She is obviously intoxicated. I mean, what woman with a small baby would say such things in an enclosed space filled with the people she is insulting? Also, her slurred speech, lack of balance, her eyes. The signs are all there. It seems alcohol but I would not rule out some benzodiazepine. That´s how some people react with too much Clonazepam. Or with a mixture of alcohol and benzos. She has a small child, too, which may also indicate some type of depression and her getting off her meds suddenly, or missing a few. Whichever, she is not sober or 100% coherent.

In my opinion, this type of people are rare (when sober) and the best thing you can do is ignore them. In her case, she is not, so it is really a whole different ball game. And with a child in arms. It wouldn´t surpise me if the authorities don´t take it away for a while. I´m glad nobody took her seriously and lashed at her.

[Edited 2011-11-29 14:29:04]

BN747

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
It does worry me that people can be put in jail for simply saying something without any physical action to back it up. Kick her off the tram for aggravating the peace or generally being a nuisance, but to charge her is a bit much. Freedom of speech extends especially to those we do not agree with.

Soooo....if you're on a train, subway or bus and a bunch of teen/young men bullies target you (and your gf/wife/bf or SO) to hurl verbal insults, reign verbal assaults and taunts...

..are you saying you'd be okay with their 'rights to free speech' on you?

If that's cool with you, you do know what your SO is gonna say to you afterwards ..right?

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):

Exactly.

Wow, 3 millions hits in a day plus several video responses???

She'll be a 'Reality TV Celeb' by the end of the week...or walking around with two black eyes.

That poor kid of he's... his life is now screwed! If Foster Care was ever needed...this is a prime candidate.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

AF340

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:29 pm

And as wn700driver said, it's all subjective and based on jurisdiction. In the US, for example, this kind of - as you put it - verbal assault is protected under the First Amendment and there is precedent for that. Look at Snyder v Phelps/Westboro Baptist Church there was a virtual plurality of opinion that as horrible as what they say is, they have a right to say it.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-751.pdf

However, it does look as though even here in america, she'd have likely gotten herself a citation for disturbing the peace.

And that is a legitimate charge.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 5):

Again, it is of course subjective. I am just saying that I don't personally think that it goes beyond free speech until there is a demonstrably existent threat to a person or a group.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
She is also threatening to kill someone

Now you're just making things up. She does say "I dare you, I f***ing dare you" which could be misinterpreted into "I'll kill you" I suppose.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 7):
Soooo....if you're on a train, subway or bus and a bunch of teen/young men bullies target you (and your gf/wife/bf or SO) to hurl verbal insults, reign verbal assaults and taunts...

If that's cool with you, you do know what your SO is gonna say to you afterwards ..right?

Finding what they say abhorrent behaviour really doesn't have anything to do with the law. A serious threat to my personal security, yes, is certainly an issue. Would I stand up (depends on how big they are I suppose, I hate to say!), maybe. But am I going to seek charges on them for calling me and my girlfriend horrible things (unless it is, again, threatening behaviour), no.

Freedom of speech in the UK is certainly different from the laws of the US and Canada. I am just saying I don't agree with them.

777way

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:34 pm

I think everyone is racist, we just dont act it out openly.

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 8):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 5):

Again, it is of course subjective. I am just saying that I don't personally think that it goes beyond free speech until there is a demonstrably existent threat to a person or a group.

It's one thing to say "I hate _____ group, think they should go back to their country, even refer to them as _____s." But to yell and scream and to make a ruckus, even harassing some passengers, goes beyond freedom of speech. I know this happened in the UK, but had it happened in the US, it wouldn't be the freedom of speech the Founding Fathers intended to protect. I'm sure it's the same or similar in the UK. And this is coming from someone that supports a lot of free speech that others on here will criticize... I just think this crossed the line

wn700driver

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):

What she is saying is pretty clear. She is also threatening to kill someone, the coloured woman in front of her. In my book, that is enough to charge her.

She's aggravated all right, and more than a little aggravating too. It just bugs me that this video picks up in the middle. I've issued a few well earned tellings-off in my time, some of which I assure you I'd have looked like a royal a-hole (or perhaps a clown or both) had one walked in right in the middle, without seeing how it started.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
Or with a mixture of alcohol and benzos. She has a small child, too, which may also indicate some type of depression and her getting off her meds suddenly, or missing a few. Whichever, she is not sober or 100% coherent.

I was getting that read too, but I couldn't have been so specific. While I do not agree with or condone with what she was saying, for whatever reason, I'm having a really tough time "judging" this one. Doesn't seem right in that A to B to C sense...
I really feel like we're missing a lot of the story.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

AR385

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 8):
Now you're just making things up. She does say "I dare you, I f***ing dare you" which could be misinterpreted into "I'll kill you" I suppose.

You are right. I mis-heard her. I still maintain she is intoxicated, though.

BN747

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 12):

Quoting AF340 (Reply 8):

You are right. I mis-heard her. I still maintain she is intoxicated, though.

That's no excuse.. you do realize that 90% or more, of the people who've gotten their asses kicked..we also intoxicated, as someone stated earlier...her kid was the only thing that prevented her from joining that statistic.

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 11):
I really feel like we're missing a lot of the story.

Can't be missing that much, take a look at how the black guy sitting directly behind her acts.
He's rather despondent to any goings on until she really turns it up... he then gets pretty riled up when two different whites stretch out their arms asking him to keep cool. Sure something started it.. but it couldn't have been too much earlier.

Quoting 777way (Reply 9):

There's more truth to that than you know..

And in truth this woman is expressing what many Europeans - particularly many Germans, Italians, Austrians, French and Brits are thinking..but won't dare say aloud.

..oh and add the American Anti-Latino crowd to that mix. Latino Hate Crimes are thru the roof right now.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

AR385

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 13):
That's no excuse.. you do realize that 90% or more,

I´m not excusing her. But I believe it is something worth pointing out. In any case, wether I were excusing her or not, I do not think that someone who is intoxicated should be held liable to the same extent as someone who is sober.

CXB77L

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):

Yes, it does. But 'free speech' has its limits. It is apparently against UK law to incite racial hatred (as it is also against Australian law to do so). If she is in violation of local law, there is every reason to arrest, detain and charge her.
Boeing 777 fanboy

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:45 am

I think stereotypes/racism is built into everyone, it's a human emotion. You CAN'T stop that. You can help not acting upon it and doing what is right. That is something people have control over and fail to do, and that's where it is wrong...

BN747

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:53 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 14):
Quoting BN747 (Reply 13):
That's no excuse.. you do realize that 90% or more,

I´m not excusing her. But I believe it is something worth pointing out. In any case, wether I were excusing her or not, I do not think that someone who is intoxicated should be held liable to the same extent as someone who is sober.

The law disagrees you... try getting into a car accident while intoxicated
..and getting into a car accident sober and see which one penalizes you more.

Common sense follows the same line of thought..

Free Speech does come with consequences when you start flirting with the fringes... you act more responsibly sober and less like an idiot. Most people when intoxicated are more prone to make an ass of themselves, how you can some how conclude that 'inebriated conduct' deserves a pass is a stand only a drunk could agree with. Do you also think someone high on weed, cocaine or heroin should also be judged more lightly than a sober person as well?

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 16):

I think stereotypes/racism is built into everyone, it's a human emotion. You CAN'T stop that.

True

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 16):

You can help not acting upon it and doing what is right. That is something people have control over and fail to do, and that's where it is wrong...

Well if were only that easy, if people always 'chose' to do the right thing....we'd have no need for cops because there'd be no crimes or conflict (fights). But people do not always make the right choices because of the environments in which they exist - circle of friends, co-workers, peers, family, etc.. so what started in youth continues depending on the path taken as maturity kicks in.

BN747

Superfly

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:00 am

I'm not even sure if she is drunk or needs meds. This women is simply crazy and needs intense therapy or institutionalized. Not only is she verbally abusive but she is making threats. Free speech doesn't extend to making threats to kill someone.
Someone as crazy as her would probably attempt to kill someone. She is obviously not rational or mentally stable.
Sober, drunk, on drugs, anyway you slice it, she is un-fit to be a parent.
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:13 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 17):

In your neck of the woods, true. That does not make it right though. Precisely, your approach to addiction as a felony instead of a disease which needs to be dealt with is what has yours and my country in our current mess. Let alone the huge amount of tax money spent on prisons.

how you can some how conclude that 'inebriated conduct' deserves a pass is a stand only a drunk could agree with. Do you also think someone high on weed, cocaine or heroin should also be judged more lightly than a sober person as well?

It does not deserve a pass. It deserves punishment ALONG with treatment. Besides. I never said she was inebriated. Go back and read my posts. Most likely, she overdosed on something, or is LACKING on something. Seeing the video the three times I´ve seen it, alcohol seems to be the least of the substances I would argue she is intoxicated with.

I recall a highway accident a few years ago in the US. The culprit, and there was one mother dead, was a diabetic woman who had gone into diabetic shock while driving. No charges were brought up against her. Would you have charged her with murder? After all, I can tell you, as a diabetic myself, that I can control my blood sugar if I do all the right things. But sometimes I do fall off the sugar wagon. And it´s not up to me.

BN747

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 19):

In your neck of the woods, true. That does not make it right though

Sure it does, because the actions are premeditated. When you drive sober you're doing so with concern for others speeding up and down any street. When you're high, drunk, medicated or anything other than sober...you are now a public menace and a danger to other humans unaware that someone 'out of control' is speeding among you - you just don't know who it is.

It is negligent behaviour, as is this woman in the video with this child. Where she on the subway in Haarlem, Bronx or Brooklyn spewing that crap..she may have been found unconscious on a subway platform. And with a child..that's negligence and irresponsible. Now two ways about it.

Precisely, your approach to addiction as a felony instead of a disease which needs to be dealt with is what has yours and my country in our current mess. Let alone the huge amount of tax money spent on prisons.

The criminal prosecution negligent conduct is a different matter, I agree that too much money is being wasted on petty drug violations - no argument there. But the line is drawn when the drug addled or drunk gets behind the wheel - now it becomes criminal conduct. All drunks know they should not be driving...and guess what most don't.

A pot smoker is less likely to involved in a 'high speed' accident, but still is a danger on the road.

In public, such as this woman, drunk, stoned, off meds or heavily medicated...it's still no excuse and no pity - she has a life she's responsible for sitting right there on her lap and is acting in a manner that places him squarely in harm's way. Sure she clearly needs help, but so do millions of others...she's not different, and the millions of others aren't all going bonkers on other people.

Besides. I never said she was inebriated. Go back and read my posts

..and here's what you said..

Quoting AR385 (Reply 14):
I do not think that someone who is intoxicated should be held liable to the same extent as someone who is sober.

..and your expanded views suggest being more forgiving and 'understanding'... that has it's place, but this is not it. Her actions are no different than some Arab dude getting on a subway in DC and trashing Americans and making threats and calling them everything the Taliban has thought of. He'd find out how 'free' speech really is...and may need a blood transfusion - if he's still breathing.

Same if some 'unarmed' nutjob got on a bus in blood-torn Culican threatening everyone to capitulate to drug barons or else..he might get an ass kicking from somebody who's lost a love one to that violence. People in those situations don't have time for sympathy or to think whether or not he needs help...they immediately feel threatened and will act accordingly - and rightfully so.

BN747

lhr380

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM&feature=related

Need I say more.  

But she just went so over the top, it was embarrassing and rude and against the law. She deserves what ever is coming to her. No excuse for it at all, especially with the kid.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

Danfearn77

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 am

Absolutely disgusting. Democracy allows for freedom of speech but this is far far beyond that. Standing outside parliament voicing your opinions on spending cuts is freedom of speech, openly verbally abusing someone so viciously just for the colour of their skin is completely outrageous and im glad we have laws to protect such victims and lock up scum like her.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

BAViscount

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Let me start by saying that I don't condone this woman's appalling behaviour. However I've spent most of my life living in and around the area in which this incident took place and am also familiar with the specific area this woman is from and I'm sorry to have to say that her behaviour is not unusual. I've seen many such...shall we say "alcohol-fueled outbursts" on public transport, on the streets and in bars and pubs. Unfortunately for this woman, we now live in a time when pretty much everyone has a video-enabled phone with them for capturing such moments and consequently she is now in the global public spotlight.

Again, I'm not making excuses for her behaviour, but like I said, I'm familiar with the area this woman comes from and the social problems associated with the area (high unemployment etc.) and it seems to me that she's doing what unfortunately an awful lot of people are doing these days (albeit not quite so publicly) and lashing out at what she probably sees as the root cause of "her problems". I should point out that she is of the age that would have grown up in multicultural Britain (and especially London), as am I, and should be well used to sharing her environment with those of West Indian, African, Indian, Pakistani etc. descent. However a lot of people these days are, for want of a better phrase, "taking offense" at the large number of people coming into Britain at the moment at a time when jobs are already hard to find.

I don't want to get into the politics around immigration policies, benefit claims etc., but unfortunately we are currently living in a time when more and more people will share this woman's views. In a way I feel sorry for her, although I have to say that I feel more sorry for her child and what kind of life he is going to have while in the care of such a volatile and irresponsible mother.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

scbriml

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
I do live in the UK and I do understand that she has -- under UK law -- committed a crime. But I just do not believe that, other than the fact she has a child, the authorities should be prosecuting her.

So, you acknowledge she broke the law, but you don't think she should be punished?   

Freedom of speech doesn't grant you immunity from the law. Even in America.

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 15):
It is apparently against UK law to incite racial hatred (as it is also against Australian law to do so).

It certainly is.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AF340

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 24):
So, you acknowledge she broke the law, but you don't think she should be punished?   

Freedom of speech doesn't grant you immunity from the law. Even in America.

That was poorly structured on my part. I personally do not agree with UK laws on Free Speech, and I don't like to see these kind of charges. They are justified under UK law, but I do not agree with that law is what I was trying to say.

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 7):

So long as it's only words I really don't care what people say, it's when they start swinging punches that I'd start to get upset.

Jean Leloup

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 8):
Freedom of speech in the UK is certainly different from the laws of the US and Canada.

Not sure if you're aware, but we actually have different laws on this in Canada, too. In fact, our law is similar to the British one - inciting racial hatred is an indictable offence. Having said that, it is not prosecuted often. Fortunately in Canada, it does not generally need to be.

From the criminal code:

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator and still recovering!

AF340

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:39 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 27):
Not sure if you're aware, but we actually have different laws on this in Canada, too. In fact, our law is similar to the British one - inciting racial hatred is an indictable offence. Having said that, it is not prosecuted often.

Yes sir, well aware of that fact. I do, however, think there is certainly less of a culture of prosecuting "Hate speech" in Canada compared to in the UK, especially now with the growing controversy surrounding the Kangaroo courts that are the Canadian Human Rights Commissions and Tribunals.

N1120A

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:00 am

Freedom of Speech is merely a concept in the UK, not a reality. Such a discussion is meaningless.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

scbriml

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
Freedom of Speech is merely a concept in the UK, not a reality. Such a discussion is meaningless.

OK, I'll bite. How so?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ronglimeng

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:33 pm

She was just one ignorant woman mouthing off. The appropriate action of nearby riders should have been to just roll their eyes and ignore her.

But she was a white woman, right ? So the story went viral.

lhr380

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 31):
She was just one ignorant woman mouthing off. The appropriate action of nearby riders should have been to just roll their eyes and ignore her.

Yea, lady mouthing off with a kid swearing and being down right racist, lets all just stand there and do nothing.

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 31):
But she was a white woman, right ? So the story went viral.

You what!! Please dont tell me you REALLY think that is the only reason its gone viral.....
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 32):
You what!! Please dont tell me you REALLY think that is the only reason its gone viral.....

Do you think it would have gotten as much attention if she was black?

AR385

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 33):
Do you think it would have gotten as much attention if she was black?

I think so. For the simple reason if she had been black, Indian, Pakistani or Asian instead of the video we have, we would have one that recorded a severe public beating or a lynching mob in action.

Maverick623

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm

charged her with the offence of racial abuse.

This is my thing: why put race into it? Everyone comments about how racism should be eliminated, and then they turn around and codify it? It doesn't make sense to me.

The content of the speech should never be criminalized, but for the reactions it causes. I should be able to voice an opinion that I think black people are stupid (which is NOT my opinion whatsoever). However, should that opinion be said loudly, crassly, and with vulgar language on a crowded tram with children and with the clear intent of agitating people, then I would be guilty of disturbing the peace.

Also, I believe slander/libel laws in the UK are very strict. That lady could be sued for every penny she likely doesn't have for accusing British citizens of not being British.

However, it does look as though even here in america, she'd have likely gotten herself a citation for disturbing the peace.

Exactly, as it should be. While her opinions are (IMO) vile and unnecessary, I thank our Founding Fathers every day for the 1st Amendment. Silencing speech should NEVER happen in a free society, no matter how good your intentions. Because the next person that comes along won't have good intentions, and use that precedence to silence other speech.

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 27):

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

Remove this bit:

Quote:
against any identifiable group

And you have the SAME EXACT LAW to protect the people, without running down a slippery slope.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

na

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Every second word of the limited language of this disgusting woman is f..... and she yells at others that they brought her country down. Its women like her before everything else. Poor son of hers.