Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Avianca
Topic Author

What Will Be Your Christmas Dinner?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:33 am

Hi all,

what will be your christmas dinner this year?

well in my current country the traditions is turkey .... also I am from germany and their might be several traditional dishes, but most popular are roasted goos, roasted duck, these days also turkey or meat fondue or even raclette.... (well dishes to spend a few hours with your family).

I am still not sure were I will be on christmas ... hence so far no clue..

What will be your christmas dinner?

Cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

LGWflyer

RE: What Will Be Your Christmas Dinner?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 am

Well most people will be having roast turkey here, but I do not like it so its roast beef for me this year!
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

signol

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:53 am

I'll be with the in-laws in South Africa this year, so instead of the traditional roast turkey, we will probably be having braaied (barbequed) turkey  

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

bananaboy

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:18 am

Haven't decided yet - it's our first Christmas at our house in Sydney, so haven't decided whether to do the turkey and trimmings that I've grown up with, prime rib that my hubby is used to, or something more appropriate to the climate which would probably involve a trip down to the fish market.

Hmmm... choices choices.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

2707200X

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:02 am

Usually we have a turkey but sometimes we have ham.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

melpax

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 am

Used to be turkey & ham with the trimming until a few years ago, now it's a barbecue with some seafood. Still include the turkey & ham for those who want it, we just don't cook a huge turkey like before.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

wilco737

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 am

Quoting Avianca (Thread starter):
what will be your christmas dinner this year?

Whatever the restaurant in BOM offers. I guess some Indian food. I will spend my Christmas in BOM this year.

wilco737

babybus

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 6):
I will spend my Christmas in BOM this year.

Aww...that's a shame.We'll be thinking of you.

Turkey for us. I look forward to the Christmas pudding and especially the turkey sandwiches in the evening. Shame we don't have it more often.

It must be odd in America having Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner so close to each other as they appear to be the same meal. But what a great meal to have twice!
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

wilco737

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 7):
Aww...that's a shame.We'll be thinking of you.

Could be worse, but thank. Only thing is that my family cannot join...

wilco737

BAViscount

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:02 pm

The standard British traditional meal for us - Turkey, beef, ham, stuffing, sausagemeat, roast potatoes and parsnips, mashed potato etc., etc. Although let it be known that not a single brussel sprout will be passing my lips...blech!

especially the turkey sandwiches in the evening.

Ooh yeah...and don't forget the cold turkey with mashed potato, pickles etc. on Boxing Day!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

sunshine79

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 9):
Although let it be known that not a single brussel sprout will be passing my lips...blech!

I love them, needless to say they will be on our plate on Christmas Day. We will be having a turkey crown as we usually do. Starter will be king prawn cocktail, and for dessert we will probably have a cheesecake (if I have anything to do with it, it will be a Baileys flavoured one)

All of this will be after the 'bar' has opened at 10am in our house, gawd knows how we make it through the day after all the drink we have, lol

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 9):
Ooh yeah...and don't forget the cold turkey with mashed potato, pickles etc. on Boxing Day!

On Boxing Day, we have home made twice cooked chips with our cold meat and pickles, accompanied with home made bread buns with lurpack smothered in them.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Pinnekjott which is boiled then (optionally) roasted salt lamb.

and svineribbe, which is roasted port belly.

http://www.matparken.no/wp-content/uploads/ribbe.jpg

Sebb89

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:43 pm

On December 24th we prepare 12 different dishes, all of them are with fish. Except from one or two additional salads and the soup made of beetroot. Meat is allowed to eat on Dec 25th - then we have roast goose or something like that.
And there is always an additional cover for an unexpected guest - so feel free to visit.

Starbuk7

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I ususlly cook a turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas.

One year I cooked Prime Rib for Christmas instead of a Ham, either one is good and a change of pace from turkey.

canoecarrier

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:53 pm

It must be odd in America having Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner so close to each other as they appear to be the same meal. But what a great meal to have twice!

I can't think of any Christmas I've ever had turkey for dinner. I've been trying to convince the family to let me make duck or goose this year, but no one seems that interested. Since we moved from the Midwest it seems less accepted in Washington state.

We generally have roast beef or ham as well as enough food that we snack the whole day after opening presents and watching football on TV. One of the benefits of being the father of both side of the family's first and only grandchild last New Years is now both grandmothers come here for major holidays and make food for everyone.

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 8):
Could be worse, but thank. Only thing is that my family cannot join...

I never minded working at the airport on Christmas, the pay was too good. But, you don't have the option of leaving after a long day and going home. You should take a photo with you and all 14 of your crew at a restaurant in BOM eating Tandoori chicken for Christmas dinner. Might even make a great A.net thread over Christmas? "Crew's on a trip, where did you eat Christmas dinner?"

Quoting kiwiRob (Reply 11):

Just send my your address, I'd be happy to spend Christmas dinner with you  
The beatings will continue until morale improves

photopilot

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Totally non-traditional for me. This year I'm stuffing a fresh Rainbow Trout with a lime/dill garnish. The stuffing is made fron breadcrumbs, shallots (scallions), shrimp, crab meat, and perhaps some diced scallops

It's rolled tightly in tin foil (aluminum foil for some) then baked in the oven.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:22 am

Quoting Avianca (Thread starter):
christmas dinner this year

It will be a dinner on 26th Dec starting at around 2pm at the home of my sister-in-law (brother got out of the race back in 1994), and we will have a fondue. Neither she nor I particularily love it but the Fiancé of her daughter is very fond of it, and she is such a superb cook that I nevertheless look forward to the meeting.

In the evening of 24th I possibly will, as each year since 1988 (when Mom passed away) attend a ceremony at "my" old church, and, if time permits, take a nice Turkish meal close to the place.

N1120A

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 am

My aunt (by marriage, but like any other aunt) grew up in a traditional Polish Catholic household, where meat (other than fish) was not eaten on Christmas Eve. So, each year, we do a big seafood spread. My uncle and I rotate in making cioppino (mine is better   ) and we make a few other things. Christmas Day is usually a turkey lunch/dinner in the refrain of Thanksgiving, though we sometimes do something different.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 16):
Neither she nor I particularily love it but the Fiancé of her daughter is very fond of it, and she is such a superb cook that I nevertheless look forward to the meeting.

Champagne/Sparkling wine and shallots make fondue really good.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BAViscount

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:44 am

Quoting sunshine79 (Reply 10):
and for dessert we will probably have a cheesecake (if I have anything to do with it, it will be a Baileys flavoured one)
Quoting sunshine79 (Reply 10):
On Boxing Day, we have home made twice cooked chips with our cold meat and pickles

Oh soooo wrong! Cheesecake?? And chips on Boxing Day...twice-cooked or not?? Call yourself an Englishwoman??!!   
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

steex

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 am

Homemade lasagna is the tradition in my family, so it'll be that on Christmas once again. I don't complain, gotta love lasagna!

flyingturtle

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 am

Probably a goose.  
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

wilco737

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 14):
I never minded working at the airport on Christmas, the pay was too good. But, you don't have the option of leaving after a long day and going home. You should take a photo with you and all 14 of your crew at a restaurant in BOM eating Tandoori chicken for Christmas dinner. Might even make a great A.net thread over Christmas? "Crew's on a trip, where did you eat Christmas dinner?"

I doubt it will be that many of the crew. The cockpit crew stays 48 in BOM the cabin only 24 hours. So the evening where we could have yummy diner, our cabin crew heads back to FRA already. So I guess it will be the Captain, me and maybe one or two F/A's who get a quick meal before heading to the airport...

wilco737

EDICHC

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:09 am

I will be working Christmas Day, but only on early shift. So a late dinner of turkey and all the trimmings.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

a318

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:50 am

Christmas Eve I'll be eating whatever the hotel in RSW has to offer and Christmas day I'll be eating whatever the hotel in Burbank has to offer.... and drinking lots, too!

MIAspotter

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:24 am

I have ordered Venezuelan ¨Hallacas¨ from a Venezuelan resto here in BCN, my girlfriend and a friend from Madrid will join me here so hopefully we will have a nice quiet dinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallaca

For dessert maybe some traditional Spanish Turrones or ¨Polvorones¨ and of course some nice Wine 

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

ZKSUJ

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 am

Sounds like a few of us working christmas day. I'm thinking of going to a buffet place after work in the evening and having a nice meal.

Delboy

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Stuffed mushrooms to start.

Roast turkey for sure, lots of sprouts and crispy roast potatoes.

For dessert, I think we'll go for a black forest gateaux (can't stand Christmus pudding)

After that, who knows.

Mortyman

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 pm

I see you have made a Norwegian of yourself for christmas   Typical Norwegian christmas food ... Will you have beer and Akvavit / aquavit too ?

We will have roasted pork belly here on the 24th ( In Norway it is 24th of december that is the big day with presents etc ) and also typical Norwegian Julepølse ( christmas sausage wich is pork made with powdered ginger, cloves, mustard seeds and nutmeg. Served steamed or roasted ).and Medisterkaker ( large meatballs made from a mix of pork meat and pork fat )

We will have several other christmas dishes on various other days during christmas ( days between christmas and new years eve ), such as:

Pinnekjøtt - salted, dried, and sometimes smoked lamb's ribs which are rehydrated and then steamed, traditionally over birch branches

Koldtbord: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koldtbord

Filet of turkey

We usually also include some tradittional Swedish dishes:

Swedish Julskinka ( christmas ham )

köttbullar - Swedish meatballs

[Edited 2011-12-06 07:24:26]

sunshine79

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 18):
Oh soooo wrong! Cheesecake?? And chips on Boxing Day...twice-cooked or not?? Call yourself an Englishwoman??!!

We aren't keen on Christmas pudding so we opt for a lighter dessert. It could be meringue nests with fruit and cream or gateau, I will find out in two weeks time when I'm going home for Christmas. Chips and pickles are a tradition in our household, wouldn't be Boxing Day without them.

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 27):
I see you have made a Norwegian of yourself for christmas Typical Norwegian christmas food ... Will you have beer and Akvavit / aquavit too ?

Norwegian Christmas food with the exception of Lutefisk is the best food in the Norwegian cookbook, I stock up on ribbe and pinnekjott and eat it several time throughout the year, bummer that there is a shortage of both along with the great butter shortage this year, I'm amazed that Norway has run out of butter. Beer yes, aquavit no.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 27):
Pinnekjøtt - salted, dried, and sometimes smoked lamb's ribs which are rehydrated and then steamed, traditionally over birch branches

But is has to be baked after the steaming.

Avianca
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 24):
I have ordered Venezuelan ¨Hallacas¨ from a Venezuelan resto here in BCN, my girlfriend and a friend from Madrid will join me here so hopefully we will have a nice quiet dinner.

I lived several years in Venezuela, and have to say that this is a great stuff.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Stabilator

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:13 pm

For Christmas Eve at my Gradparents, she prepares prime rib. It's entiretly too fatty and rare so I suggested fillet of beef this year. Crossing my fingers. She makes all the usual sides like mashed potatoes, etc and we have Christmas cookies for desert.

For Christmas, my family comes to my house, and I've taken over Christmas dinner. This year I will be making Beef Wellington. For those who dont know, it's fillet of beef wrapped in puff pastry. I make a peppercorn sauce to go with it. I also make mashed potatoes and gravy. Additional sides include green beens in a shallot sauce and corn. I may substitute asparagus for the green beens this year. I'm also in love with bressels sprouts (when prepared correctly), so they will be on the table.

For desert we will have cookies along with my orange zest cheesecake topped with a brandy strawberry sauce.   yummy.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 32):
For those who dont know, it's fillet of beef wrapped in puff pastry.

Not just wrapped in puff pastry or the pasty goes soggy, which is the most common mistake people make when making beef Wellington, you have to wrap the beef in something like parma ham.

DocLightning

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Torah says:

All Jews must have Chinese food on Christmas.

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Stabilator

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting kiwiRob (Reply 32):
Not just wrapped in puff pastry or the pasty goes soggy, which is the most common mistake people make when making beef Wellington, you have to wrap the beef in something like parma ham.

While mine has never been soggy (I cook it on a raised cooling rack) the addition of ham to the party sounds delicious. Can't forget the duxelle either.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 34):
While mine has never been soggy (I cook it on a raised cooling rack) the addition of ham to the party sounds delicious. Can't forget the duxelle either.

I've cooked Gordon Ramseys recipe which is pretty traditional but oh so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfM_7uwH_Jw

desertjets

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I'll be at my brother's so I don't really know what will be for dinner. Traditionally his wife makes prime rib, but with money being a bit tighter I am not sure what to expect.

As a rule I go Prime Rib > Turkey > Ham..... I'd be game for other game like venison or duck, perhaps lamb.

If my memory serves me right a few years back I made a small pot roast for XMAS dinner.

There is probably a reason why we only do it twice a year. A roast turkey with all the fixings is a pretty good meal, but outside of Thanksgiving/XMAS they are nowhere near as inexpensive. I think there is a lot of nostalgia around that meal.... the debate over jellied or whole cranberry sauce and the Stove Top stuffing.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

sccutler

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:51 pm

After a lifetime of turkey (which is good for sandwiches, but indifferent for other purposes), we have settled on an assortment of tamales. A good tamale is proof that there is a God, and he (or she) loves us very much.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Revelation

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
Torah says:

All Jews must have Chinese food on Christmas.

I'm glad this finally came up.

My family is pretty scattered this year, so I'm going to hang out with many of the local Jews at the best Chinese restaurant in town.

Mazel tov!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ACDC8

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 am

Thats why we Canadians do it right, we celebrate Thanksgiving on the second weekend of October so it gives us a nice two and a half month break between turkey dinners 

For us this Christmas, being German, we celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, so we'll be heading off to my sisters for a ham dinner and then Christmas Day, we have a turkey dinner with stuffing and cranberry sauce and then usually have another dinner at friends on Boxing Day.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:59 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 6):

Whatever the restaurant in BOM offers. I guess some Indian food. I will spend my Christmas in BOM this year.

You wont miss the fun in BOM....Trust me....Its great around Christmas.....Probably you'll miss out on your family.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

opso1

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:42 am

Going out with my brother and his family in Edinburgh on Christmas day. Their year to plan, so we are going for an all-you-can-eat Chinese!! It'll go one of 2 ways...

Stealthz

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Gonna be a pretty quiet one,
Likely just me, parents, sister and poss her daughter(and granddaughter).

Will have some prawns(shrimp to you 'murricans), Some ham and very possibly a "Beer Bum Chicken"* ** and almost certainly my stepmothers speciality.. Lemon Meringue pie.

* http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Beer-Bum-Chicken-L101.html

** I am so sad that Baroque can no longer comment on this!!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

LGWflyer

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Quoting opso1 (Reply 41):
all-you-can-eat Chinese!!

Now that is a great idea for a christmas dinner! I love chinese food!

[Edited 2011-12-07 07:26:51]
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

BAViscount

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Quoting sunshine79 (Reply 28):
We aren't keen on Christmas pudding so we opt for a lighter dessert. It could be meringue nests with fruit and cream or gateau, I will find out in two weeks time when I'm going home for Christmas. Chips and pickles are a tradition in our household, wouldn't be Boxing Day without them.

I was just teasing! I think it's nice that each family has its own little traditions - I know mine certainly does too. Generally we're very traditional when it comes to the main meal though, in fact there was an outcry one year when it was suggested that we might have a goose rather than a turkey ("What??? It wouldn't be Christmas without turkey!!") even though I'm thinking that if you go back far enough, a roast goose on Christmas Day was probably more traditional than a turkey is today! Personally I can't stand Christmas Pudding either, but we always have one, although I usually ask for a big bowl of custard with a teaspoonful of Christmas Pudding...just to show willing you understand!

But Boxing Day has to be cold meats with mashed potato, my brother-in-law's (in)famous chilli pickled onions, Piccalilli (sp?), pickled cabbage etc., etc. Plus we always have a choice of either tomato or vegetable soup with freshly baked rolls first - although the soup is never home made, it always has to be Heinz, no substitutes allowed!

747m8te

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

Well if im working that day at the airport...it wil be a hotdog from Donut King...

If i'm home, seeing as its just me with no where really to go and it will probably be a hot day will possibly get some cold seafood and make a small platter  
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

sunshine79

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 44):
big bowl of custard with a teaspoonful of Christmas Pudding...just to show willing you understand!

Haha, that's why we don't have it. My folks worked, they used to get hampers from their place of work and we would end up with two puddings, one used to end up with my aunt as we aren't keen on it. We used to keep it until Christmas was well and truly out of the way (about June) and we would have gallons of home made custard made with carnation cream, yum yum)

garpd

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:24 pm

I'll be spending Christmas with the German side of my family. The Christmas dinner, served on Christmas Eve will be Carp. It comes from the Polish part of the family (Grandad).

Not the best fish to eat I have to admit. Hundreds of tiny, tiny little bones ensure you spend more time pulling the thing apart and "fishing" out the bones, than you do eating it.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

andz

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:39 pm

As we did last year we will be having Christmas Day lunch at the Blowfish restaurant in Cape Town.

This was the view from our table last year:

This is this year's menu... EUR 31 / USD 41 / GBP 26 per person.

To welcome you….
Traditional Eggnog or Medium Cream Sherry

Starters
Christmas Collection of Sushi
or
Creamed Gammon and Mushroom Soup
or
Smoked Salmon Trout Salad

Palate Cleanser
Rhubarb Sorbet

Main Course
Roasted Leg of Lamb with Seasonal Vegetables
or
Fillet Mignon, with Sweet Potato and Pumpkin paired with a rich Port Wine and Thyme Jus
or
Baked Kabeljou, pan-fried Tiger Prawns and Patagonian Calamari finished with
Garlic Butter accompanied by Savoury Rice

Dessert
Profiteroles with Warm Chocolate and Cinnamon Sauce
or
Cape Brandy Pudding paired with Hazelnut Ice Cream
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

zippyjet

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 am

If I'm not working at BWI for SWA Life /FL I'll do the ritual of my fellow Jews: Chinese Food! Chinese restaurants do a bang up business on Christmas Night in many towns.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!