Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ME AVN FAN

RE: What Will Be Your Christmas Dinner?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
Champagne/Sparkling wine and shallots make fondue really good.

Had exactly this some years ago, and can confirm that the combination is excellent. In this case now, I leave the choices fully to her. She has gone through a thorough gastronomy education and has worked as a cook in various places. And so is an expert. I trust that she will have a good wine or Prosecco ready !

CXfirst

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Quoting kiwiRob (Reply 11):
Pinnekjott which is boiled then (optionally) roasted salt lamb.
Quoting kiwiRob (Reply 11):
and svineribbe, which is roasted port belly.

In Norway for christmas this year. And we'll be having pinnekjott on Christmas Eve, and svineribbe on one of the other days of christmas.

Although, not on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, we'll be having lutefisk! Not everyone's favourite but I think it's great!

-CXfirst

UltimateDelta

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 am

My family's predominantly German, so we'll be having roast goose, accompanied by the usual stuff like potato dumplings and red cabbage (not for me, personally). I'll probably go to my dad's on Christmas Day, and there we'll probably have turkey and such.

Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

IMissPiedmont

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:25 pm

I think I'll have a peanut butter sandwich.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

BMIFlyer

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:07 am

Pizza for one. Yes you read that correct.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

TSS

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:21 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 7):
It must be odd in America having Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner so close to each other as they appear to be the same meal. But what a great meal to have twice!

While some folks do turkey on both holidays, may do as Starbuk7 will be doing-

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 13):
I ususlly cook a turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas.

Of course the side dishes are usually the same, though.

I'll be eating as DocLightning and our Jewish friends do-

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
All Jews must have Chinese food on Christmas.
Quoting Revelation (Reply 38):
I'm glad this finally came up.

My family is pretty scattered this year, so I'm going to hang out with many of the local Jews at the best Chinese restaurant in town.
Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 43):
Quoting opso1 (Reply 41):
all-you-can-eat Chinese!!

Now that is a great idea for a christmas dinner! I love chinese food!

Great food, plus no muss, no fuss, and nothing to clean up afterwards.  
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

zippyjet

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 55):

A tride and true tradition.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

Siren

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:53 am

My family tradition, going back years, is to have Peking Duck as a Christmas dinner.

http://i41.tinypic.com/nd9zdi.jpg

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peking_Duck for information. It's a delicacy, a rich and desirable meal that we only need to have once a year...

Usually paired with Hong Kong style noodles, Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Sauce, and a Won Ton Soup as the opener...

CPH-R

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 am

Roast pork (aka Flæskesteg), boiled potatoes, caramelized potatoes, red cabbage sliced & diced and boiled with a variety of spices, and plenty of brown gravy.

For dessert, the one that makes or break if you're truly into the spirit of things: Risalamande. Some people hate it, I absolutely love it. For those who haven't heard of it, think cold rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, vanilla, chopped almonds, and if you're not quite grossed out yet, warm cherry sauce on top 

Revelation

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Quoting Siren (Reply 57):
Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Sauce

I love this dish, and pretty much anything with eggplant in it.

Now you've got me planning out lunch at the local Chinese place!  
Quoting CPH-R (Reply 58):
think cold rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, vanilla, chopped almonds, and if you're not quite grossed out yet, warm cherry sauce on top

Not grossed out at all. Sounds similar to the rice pudding served as dessert at Indian restaurants, sans the cherry sauce, which I presume is a local adaptation!  
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

N1120A

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 47):
Hundreds of tiny, tiny little bones ensure you spend more time pulling the thing apart and "fishing" out the bones, than you do eating it.

That's how you stay thin - burn your calories taking your food apart.

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 54):
Pizza for one. Yes you read that correct.

Which for Lee means 2 large pizzas. One with pepperoni and one with whatever Lee fancies that day  
think cold rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, vanilla, chopped almonds, and if you're not quite grossed out yet, warm cherry sauce on top

I'm not into rice pudding, but lots of people love it. What you mentioned is, in a vacuum, quite tasty sounding.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CPH-R

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 60):
What you mentioned is, in a vacuum, quite tasty sounding.

It is. Sort of. Some people (my sister included) just think it's too nauseatingly sweet.

Her loss though, given that Risalamande is also used for a competition of sorts, where one (or more depending on the number of people) whole almonds are added, and whoever gets it wins a small prize. In our family, the prize has been everything from a couple of scratch and win tickets, a bottle of wine or some small puzzle toy - to a stipulation to hold a small speech about the local wine country in Italy, where the whole family was going for summer holiday next summer.

Naturally, said competition is usually rigged beyond imagination. At least one of my uncles was notorious for bringing his own almond and prizes 

flyAUA

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 pm

I am doing something not so ordinary this year, just because I love it so much and haven't had it in ages. The best one I ever had was made by my swiss sister-in-law and this year I will making an attempt at reproducing it for xmas dinner   

I think the swiss call it: La fondue au fromage Valaisanne  
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

flyingturtle

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 62):

Cheese fondue is wooonderful and quite easy, if you know how.  

(I once had a girlfriend who had her birthday in August. And fondue was her favourite dinner. And so...  )
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

mt99

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
Torah says:

hahha - all my Jewish friends do the same... but is Chinese Food Kosher?
Step into my office, baby

DocLightning

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 64):

hahha - all my Jewish friends do the same... but is Chinese Food Kosher?

There are Kosher Chinese restaurants, but as a rule of thumb: Jews eating Chinese on Christmas probably don't care about Kosher.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flyAUA

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:51 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 63):
Cheese fondue is wooonderful and quite easy, if you know how.

I think my master skills in the kitchen will help me not to fail. I just need to get the amounts right. I think she said it was Gruyere/Emmental/Sbrinz in a 2/1/1 ratio... lets see  

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 63):
(I once had a girlfriend who had her birthday in August. And fondue was her favourite dinner. And so... )

And so what? You ended up having fondue every birthday?  

flyingturtle

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 66):
I think my master skills in the kitchen will help me not to fail. I just need to get the amounts right. I think she said it was Gruyere/Emmental/Sbrinz in a 2/1/1 ratio... lets see

I'm sure you'll do your worst. 

Actually, changing the ratio of the cheeses only changes the taste. For a hearty fondue, take Appenzeller, Tilsiter and Emmentaler, for a milder taste, choose Gruyère, Vacherin and other semi-hard cheesy stuff from western Switzerland.

More important is: Stir if the wine/cheese does not mix well. If it's too fluid, add some corn starch together with a little wine, if it's viscous, just add wine. Stir. Stir. Stir. Let it boil once. And  .  
Quoting flyAUA (Reply 66):
And so what? You ended up having fondue every birthday?

No. The relationship ended in May. 

flyAUA

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 67):

OOOOH! Thanks for the tips. I will send you a PM to let you know how it went the day after! 

Bummer about the relationship. Guess it saved you coming up with a bday present though   

flyingturtle

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Please, flyAUA.  

Well, it's long ago.   And yes, not having to give any gift is a good thing. Because I tend to give things I would really, really use for myself...   

[Edited 2011-12-23 05:21:09]

Cadet985

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Probably getting something to eat in Tel Aviv where my best friend is having his bachelor party. Should be fun....his wedding is the following evening.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!

Marc

September11

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 70):
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!

Thank you - that's very kind of you  

I don't know what my Christmas dinner w/ my family will be but I would like lasagna
Airliners.net of the Future

melpax

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Quoting melpax (Reply 5):

Finally finished my Christmas shopping,

Got some prawns to put on the barbie. Got 2 lots today, was in the supremarket earlier tonight & they were selling what was left of their seafood at half price (most stores here are closed by law on Christmas day).

Got the meat for the barbecue yesterday afternoon at Queen Victoria Market in the City after I finished at the office. Got a heap of different sausages, burgers, a tray of porterhouse steaks (only 15 bucks!), kebabs & a ham (was even able to sample some, the butcher makes their own), all for much less than what you'd pay at a supermarket & better quality as well. Also got the required booze as well  . At least everyone's coming to my place this year, so I don't have to worry about getting home!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

mdavies06

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:35 pm

because of some mishaps in family and friends arrangements I will be having christmas dinner alone so I will decide what to have on the spot, most likely pizza or pasta...

seb146

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:01 pm

I wanted a turducken but I hear it has a fowl taste

*groan*
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tcasalert

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Pork Pie with Brown Sauce for breakfast, Turducken with the trimmings for lunch and then a few crackers in the evening washed down with a glass of Baileys.

No need to go to town gorging yourself on food, but nice to make it a bit of a special occasion!
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

andz

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 48):

Well, lunch was fantastic. The main course fish was changed from baked kabeljou to yellowfin tuna but this with the prawns and calamari, as well as the sushi starter were delicious.

It is another gorgeous day here in Cape Town, makes the santas on display and White Christmas on the radio seem even more incongruous!

Merry Christmas everyone, and to anyone offended by that.... tough.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Checo77

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Even though we live in Peru, I follow my country´s (Czech) traditions, that is why we had yesterday FISH soup, fried fish fillet and potato salad. All accompained by a Pilsen Czech beer   As a dessert, we baked several kinds of diferent X-MAS cookies at home from scratch  

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

wilco737

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:30 pm

This was my christmas diner at 35,000 feet 

Appetizer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/WILCO737/001.jpg

Main course:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/WILCO737/002.jpg

Dessert:

wilco737

BMIFlyer

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 60):
Which for Lee means 2 large pizzas. One with pepperoni and one with whatever Lee fancies that day

You know me too well....

However, I changed my mind and purchased a 16oz Steak.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:51 pm

It will be Fondue, done by my sister-in-law, who happens to be a supreme cook, and the WINE will be something like this

http://media5.picsearch.com/is?4Mm9M...RlKHET5_fSE2tKQeYqkLVbaiEVC3UUgcik

ScarletHarlot

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 78):
Dessert:

Love the placement of the rose!

Our dinner is not turning out quite the way we expected. We were supposed to go to our best friends' place for dinner, but their power went out - we're having a bit of a windstorm - and then, as they were bringing the turkey over here to put in our oven, our power went out too. So their turkey is cooking in our barbeque! Now, our power is back on, and so at some point soon we'll go bring the turkey in and put it in our oven. If our friends' power does not go back on, I suspect dinner might relocate over here, and it'll likely be late in any case due to interrupted cooking. Oh well, can't do anything except roll with the punches!
But that was when I ruled the world

sccutler

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:20 am

Since my parents are both gone now, we have Christmas dinner at my sister's home, and this year, instead of the traditional turkey, we had steaks and baked potatoes. Big, honkin', thick steaks, I cooked them (rather well, if I say so myself, although I intensely dislike gas grills). Good stuff.

Merry Christmas, all, and best wishes for a blessed and prosperous new year.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

2707200X

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:34 am

For the Christmas lunch I had ham, mashed potatoes and green beans. For the Christmas dinner I had tamales.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

CXfirst

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:15 am

Christmas Eve I had, Pinnekjoet, one of the main Norwegian Christmas dishes, which others have explained.
Christmas Day I had Ribbe, which also has been explained.
Boxing Day (today), I had halibut.

But, the dinners aren't the only thing, breakfast every day has been a special meal in itself, with a huge variety of meats and fish that aren't common in other times of the year.

It's safe to say I haven't been hungry in over two weeks (the week before the Christmas festivities began I was in Scotland.....)

The food is not over yet, tomorrow morning I have another Christmas breakfast, but dinners probably won't be as formal and extravagant.

Keep in mind, in Norway we have Christmas Eve as the biggest day, then the first day of Christmas (Christmas day), second day of Christmas (Boxing Day), and all the way to the 4th day of Christmas! Most people don't do much for the 3rd or 4th, but we still have Christmas Breakfasts then (for those lucky enough to not be working!)

Then of course, there is the dinner on New Years Eve, and also New Years Day (Breakfast/brunch), sadly (well, not sadly as I'm an aviation enthusiast), I will be on a flight between LHR and HKG over New Years!

-CXfirst

-CXfirst

Type-Rated

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:59 am

Quoting garpd (Reply 47):
Not the best fish to eat I have to admit. Hundreds of tiny, tiny little bones ensure you spend more time pulling the thing apart and "fishing" out the bones, than you do eating it.

When I was a kid my mother used to make Halibut. It was loaded with tiny little bones. You had to work so hard at bone removal from the food that it almost wasn't worth eating.

To tell you the truth, I don't care that much for Turkey. I think we had it too often as a kid. In our family Prime Rib is the new standard Christmas fare. But we have to start the day off with Christmas pudding and tea with Port to get in the mood.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

CXfirst

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 am

There are methods of removing halibut bones. we had enough halibut for 20+ people. Not a single bone found.

AirPacific747

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Roast pork (aka Flæskesteg), boiled potatoes, caramelized potatoes, red cabbage sliced & diced and boiled with a variety of spices, and plenty of brown gravy.

For dessert, the one that makes or break if you're truly into the spirit of things: Risalamande. Some people hate it, I absolutely love it. For those who haven't heard of it, think cold rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, vanilla, chopped almonds, and if you're not quite grossed out yet, warm cherry sauce on top 

What he said  
Quoting wilco737 (Reply 78):
This was my christmas diner at 35,000 feet 

Appetizer:

Looks like you could use a table  Wink

[Edited 2011-12-27 05:06:57]

Revelation

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 87):
Looks like you could use a table

I suspect most of us here would trade our tables for his!  

Thanks for the cool photos, wilco737!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

wilco737

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Looks like you could use a table  

Nah, I have 2 legs, which are good as table 
Quoting Revelation (Reply 88):

Thanks for the cool photos, wilco737!

You're welcome. Thought I share them to see how I enjoyed my christmas diner.

wilco737

AirPacific747

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 88):

True  
Quoting wilco737 (Reply 89):
Nah, I have 2 legs, which are good as table

Hehe   Just kidding. And nice dinner you got there!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am

In late evening of 24th I attended the service in "my" old church. Very nice as usual. On 25th, I was cycling along the lake in sunshine. And on 26th went to my sister-in-law. An excellent fondue (excellent spices used) and a Montepulciano Rosato, an absolute highlight !

tommy767

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 pm

My dad made the worst christmas dinner ever. We usually go out to a restaurant but not this year -- he wanted to try something 'different'. I'm still VERY pissed at him for it:

SALAD:
Generic salad my grandmother made (I found a hair in it.)

SIDES:
Overcooked vegetables in black pasty sauce
Apples in a chunky cold thick topping.
Mashed Potatoes with a bland aftertaste

MAIN:
Turkey -- half burnt, extremely dry.

DESSERT:
Chocolate Mousse. For some reason he was really proud of himself for baking this dessert. It was pathetic.

Then me and my sister had to wash the dishes for 2 hours because he forgot he didn't have a dishwasher. Worst christmas day ever.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

larshjort

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:01 pm

What he said

Same here + duck and stuffings.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

sunshine79

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:41 pm

because we don't really have breakfast on Christmas Day and we are too excited to see my niece and nephew open their presents, we tend to pick at stuff until dinner. We pick at the crackling on the pork, the bacon from the top of the turkey and the skin from it, nuts, chocolates and too much booze, as per usual, we didn't eat much dinner. dessert was home made trifle. Mum normally makes it but dad done it this time and his hand slipped (quite a bit) when pouring the sherry onto the sponge fingers. Dad made the custard a bit too runny but it was lovely. He didn't have room to put the cream on so we just spooned it over, this year we had the Tesco's extra thick brandy cream. By god, it was strong, but blooming gorgeous. It tasted even stronger a few hours later in a mince pie, lol.

BTW, if anyone hasn't tried it yet, the Baileys extra thick cream is to die for.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?