Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Why MCI Do Not Export Their Buses Over Seas?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 am

When I look at how many Van Hools Motorcoachs ( an European company) are rolling on US Highways, I wonder, why MCI do not export their buses to Europe? In Europe there is a lot of people who travels by motorcoach, and MCI could make a nice profit, if they tried this. Just like Van Hool redesigned their T series for American roads, the D, E and J series that would be exported to Europe, could be redesign for Europe roads. I think it is a good ideal.

1337Delta764

RE: Why MCI Do Not Export Their Buses Over Seas?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:27 am

Europe is very strict on how buses should be designed. For example, you don't see New Flyer selling to Europe, since the typical European urban transit bus is a full low-floor design (rather than the low-floor with stepped rear section typically used in the U.S. and Canada), plus European transit buses typically demand three doors on a 40-foot bus (4 on a 60-foot articulated bus), all which are wider than the doors typically found on a New Flyer transit bus.

I presume there are certain design modifications MCI would have to make to satisfy European operators.

Kiwirob

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:35 am

There are literally dozens of bus body builders in Europe along with many different chassis manufacturers, it's a massivley crowded market, the changes MCI would have to make to make their products suitable for Europe would be significant, would the cost of making these changes be worth while, I doubt they would get anywhere near the market share to make it worth while.

You'll also notice that US designed trucks don't appear on European roads, you only see them in Russia and Ukraine, they are moslty Volvo VN series with a few Kenworths and Macks.

mhodgson

Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:51 pm

One issue as far as the UK is concerned - a vehicle can be no wider than 2.55m. It seems MCI vehicles are a standard 2.59m. Those 0.04m are hardly an issue for European exports to the US, but for MCI to export to the UK they would probably have to redesign vehicles and retool factories, and I suspect it would be prohibitively expensive for such a full market.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

PPVRA

Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 2):
You'll also notice that US designed trucks don't appear on European roads, you only see them in Russia and Ukraine, they are moslty Volvo VN series with a few Kenworths and Macks.

It's been a few years, but I remember reading an article suggesting this is due to protectionism. There are some Volvo trucks in the US, but I have never seen a Mercedes truck. Como to think of it, are there any other European trucks in the US other than Volvo?
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 4):

It's been a few years, but I remember reading an article suggesting this is due to protectionism.

The trucks in Europe are very dfferent from the US, they are almost all cabovers, the last conventional in Europe was the Scania T which ended production a couple of years ago.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 4):
but I have never seen a Mercedes truck

Mercedes own Freightliner, Western Star and Sterling, Volvo own Mack.

rlwynn

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:02 pm

A truck from europe could never handle it in America. They are two totally different things and not made for the same roads and more importantly speed. In most of America trucks travel up to 40kmh faster than trucks in europe.
I can drive faster than you

747400sp
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 6):
A truck from europe could never handle it in America. They are two totally different things and not made for the same roads and more importantly speed. In most of America trucks travel up to 40kmh faster than trucks in europe.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that those Scania trucks, with those big powerful V8s, are slower than our trucks?

petertenthije

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 7):
Wait a minute! Are you saying that those Scania trucks, with those big powerful V8s, are slower than our trucks?

All trucks in Europe are limited to at most 90 KPH. Usually 87 KPH as most police forces use a margin of 7KPH for speeds of 80KPH.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

TripleDelta
Screener

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 7):

Not directly by design, but by the law that limits the design. Though there are variations in maximum truck speeds between various US states (link), as well as various European states (link), the maximum differences can well reach into 30-40 km/h. A quick, Mk. I eyeball estimate puts the average highway speed limit at around 105 km/h in the States and 90 in Europe - so that's already 15 up.

[Edited 2011-12-23 14:24:30]
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077