Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doug_or
Topic Author

Destination Train Trips

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:21 pm

I've been reading a few books on the history or rail travel recently and thought it might be fun to integrate a rail segment into my next vacation (whenever or wherever that may be). I was wondering if any A.netters had any suggestions for routes that had exceptional scenery, historical significance, or a are a particularly good value (affordable high end accommodations in a cheaper country for example).
When in doubt, one B pump off

Birdwatching

RE: Destination Train Trips

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I've taken Amtrak's California Zephyr from Chicago to Salt Lake City. It was wonderful (especially from Denver through the Rockies) and I hope to do this again in the future. Very recommended. You have to grab a seat in the observation car BEFORE the train pulls into Denver.

I also rode on an iron ore freight train through the Sahara in Mauritania, but that's probably not what you are looking for. It was excellent though!

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

aloges

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Would that be on any continent or in North America or...?

If Europe is on the list of possible destinations, I recommend a trip from Frankfurt to Cologne through the Rhine Valley; that is the cheaper non-HSR option between the two cities. The scenery between Bingen and Koblenz is so gorgeous that it's been declared a World Heritage Site, complete with lots of castles and even more vineyards.

Apart from that, the Alps and particularly Switzerland have loads and loads of scenic rail routes to offer, but some of them are very touristy and not exactly cheap to travel on.

Additionally, the trip from Oslo to Bergen (also in Norway) was quite spectacular. I recommend making it when there's still snow in the highlands, but none left at sealevel. That contrast is quite remarkable.

[Edited 2011-12-21 14:22:52]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

doug_or
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):

I've taken Amtrak's California Zephyr from Chicago to Salt Lake City. It was wonderful (especially from Denver through the Rockies) and I hope to do this again in the future. Very recommended. You have to grab a seat in the observation car BEFORE the train pulls into Denver.

Definitely a possibility, along with the Empire Builder. Very close to home (easy access), but I've also driven (and flown) a lot in this area already.

doug_or
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 2):
Would that be on any continent or in North America or...?

Sorry, I should havea specified. Any continent. Maybe even a few bonus point for exoticness. Anyone ridden the rails in South America? I've heard they've got some impressive stuff in Peru. Thailand looks to have a surprisingly respectable network, and first class sleeper berths appear very affordable. Anyone ridden those?

Quoting aloges (Reply 2):
Apart from that, the Alps and particularly Switzerland have loads and loads of scenic rail routes to offer, but some of them are very touristy and not exactly cheap to travel on.

Oh well. I thought the Swiss stuff would be interesting, but I am quite the cheapskate. They've got some big mountains in Slovakia... Any trains out that way?

aloges

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 4):
Anyone ridden the rails in South America? I've heard they've got some impressive stuff in Peru.

D'oh... how could I forget?

I did Cuzco to Machu Picchu and back, since that is essentially the only way to get there, on one of the cheaper tourist trains that don't offer "indigenous entertainment" - I went for the scenery, not for commerce. That was an unforgettable journey:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_1.jpg
my train, IIRC

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_2.jpg
the highlands

You follow this river for a while, until you get to Aguas Calientes. As you can see, it is quite a lot greener the valley than it is in the highlands.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_4.jpg
Main Street, Aguas Calientes

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_5.jpg
why you go there in the first place  

I had also planned to go from Cuzco to Puno (on Lake Titicaca) by train, but that didn't happen due to some protests which the railway agent euphemistically called a "strike". Instead of that, I took a bus to the lake which travels on almost exactly the same route as the train. The bus was much, much cheaper even though I paid an unofficial and undocumented 50% tourist surcharge   - small change compared to the amount due for the train. Some more photos, shot through the windows of a bus moving along Peruvian roads, so apologies for the quality:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_6.jpg
You probably won't see the airport from the train, but how cold I leave this out?

back in the highlands

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_8.jpg
"Toll
Aguas Calientes
Altitude 4,070m ASL
258km to Puno"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/Peru_9.jpg
Strictly speaking, this doesn't belong here - it's on an island in Lake Titicaca, but still the lake is where you go on the train (or bus).

[Edited 2011-12-21 14:33:43]

SOBHI51

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm

The best train ride i took was on the Blue Train in South Africa, Not sure if it is still working.
http://www.bluetrain.co.za/
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

IH8BY

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 3):
Definitely a possibility, along with the Empire Builder.

I've done Empire Builder, Coast Starlight and a couple of others, but the Empire Builder was the highlight for me as one part of an itinerary that took me from New York to San Francisco (the last bit is cheating as it's a motorcoach from Emeryville). In terms of value, it depends when you book and what comfort you're looking for - I travelled in coach and found it exceptionally good value, but although the reclining seat is comfortable enough, you have to be content with sleeping in public. Do take a meal in the dining car at least once during the trip; by chance I found myself eating steak as the train entered the mountains to the backdrop of a remarkable sunset, and it was quite an experience.

This year's rail trip for me began with the Caledonian Sleeper from London to Scotland. This train leaves late evening from London's Euston station, allowing you to unwind in the lounge car with a single malt or two before retiring to bed - the next thing you know you're in Scotland. My train terminated at Glasgow, from where I took the West Highland Line to Oban and did some island-hopping by bus and ferry (why not get the ferry from Oban to Barra, and then fly back to Glasgow from its unique beach airport?).

At least for the moment (government subsidies providing) you can take the Highland portion of the Caledonian Sleeper to Fort William, which allows you to sleep the night and wake up along one of the most scenic rail lines in Europe, following the banks of Loch Lomond before climbing up onto Rannoch Moor. Friends who have done this recommend following the journey with a train trip on to Mallaig, which takes in the splendid Glenfinnan Viaduct, and potentially an onward excursion over the sea to Skye.

It's not particularly exotic, but some say there's no better way to begin a trip to Scotland...
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

aloges

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 7):
It's not particularly exotic

Taking a train to the Scottish Highlands is not particularly exotic? I do apologise, but IMHO it very much is.    Anyway, I've had it on my wishlist for a couple of years.

IH8BY

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 8):
Anyway, I've had it on my wishlist for a couple of years.

Do it soon; although reassurances are being given that funding will remain for the Caledonian Sleeper, you never know what's round the corner... when I said it's not exotic (yes, maybe I'm a bit too accustomed to British trains, British weather, etc...!), I certainly don't mean that it's not exciting! Both the sleeper and the West Highland Line were a great experience, and such an appropriate way to begin a relaxed getaway in the islands. I really enjoyed the trip.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

BMIFlyer

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I have done Thailand by rail  

I recommend a trip from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi (River Kwai bridge) then on to the end of the line. Some nice sheer drops next to the tracks  

The journey took 5 hours and cost me only 200THB (tourist fare) which I think is about $8.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BMIFlyer

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Braniff747SP

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 7):
Coast Starlight

Great train. Beautiful route. I went from Los Angeles to Chemult, OR, and back. I'd love to do the whole route up to Seattle.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

747400sp

Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Try Amtrak Coast Starlight, it ride up a lot of California coastline and you get to travel from one great city Los Angeles to another Seattle.

If you want a short trip, try the Amtrak California's Pacific Surf Liners from Los Angeles to San Diego or Santa Barbara. Both ways, you will likely ride Southern California's coast line. If you are a fan of EMD locomotives, you will like the PSL, because it is one of the few Amtrak trains still powered by EMD locomotive ( F-59PHIs).

doug_or
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 13):
Try Amtrak Coast Starlight, it ride up a lot of California coastline and you get to travel from one great city Los Angeles to another Seattle.

I did the starlight from Portland to Oakland a few years ago and had a great time. Rented the roomette with a friend. Felt very much like being in a time machine. The lounge car (which I believe the attendant said was originally delivered to the Santa Fe in the 50's!) was spacious and comfortable, and the company was a good mix of interesting and eccentric.

When the attendant saw my airline crew tag on my luggage we had a long chat about the similarities and differences of working for Amtrak vs. the airlines, and our working lives in general.

Quoting aloges (Reply 5):

Great pics, that looks incredible! Peru has always been on my list, but I think that moves it up a few spots.

Mortyman

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:02 pm

The Flåm railway in Norway between Myrdal and Flåm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fl%C3%A5msbanen

http://www.flamsbana-museet.no/default.asp?sprak=3

One of the best if not the most spectauculare trainjourneys in the world

Highly recomended

KingFriday013

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:37 am

My idea isn't as large-scale and could be done in a day, but several portions of the Montauk branch of the Long Island Rail Road have some great views.

-J.
Will add later

flyingturtle

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:46 am

As a Swiss, I can always suggest some railway lines...

- Geneva - Lausanne - Yverdon - Neuchâtel - Biel/Bienne - Delémont - Basel.

http://maps.google.ch/maps?saddr=gen...Qim3zcOscNg&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=h&z=8

You get to see three lakes, then the railway winds through a gorge and some valleys.

- the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt. It might get a lot cheaper when using a regular regional train instead of the touristy Glacier Express, but then you have to change trains. A picture from mid of October, this year...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294553_10150295929097504_532562503_7625241_1037604545_n.jpg

- the old Lötschberg and Gotthard routes.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

EDICHC

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 am

For scenic rail travel in Scotland the best way to capture the finest scenic routes are to follow this circular route...

Depart Glasgow Queen Street taking the Fort William & Mallaig service as described above. From Mallaig you take the ferry to Armadale (the boat that goes 'over the sea to Skye) take the bus from Armadale to Kyle of Lochalsh.

From Kyle you can take a train to Inverness, another very scenic line, it begins cutting across the peninsula to the picture postcard village of Plockton before running along the south shore of Loch Carron as far as Strathcarron. After this the line passes through Achnashellach forest before heading out over the bleak moors through lonely outposts like Achnasheen and Lochluichart. Compared to the previous two stops the village of Garve seems like a metropolis! Just after Garve the line cuts underneath the precipice of Raven Rock before descending down to Dingwall and the junction with the Far North line (to Wick and Thurso). The final run to Inverness passes through the villages of Muir Of Ord, Conon Bridge and Beauly before crossing the swing bridge over the Caledonian Canal on the approach into Inverness.

Heading south from Inverness back to Glasgow, the Highland main line, while not quite as stunning scenery-wise as the Kyle or Mallaig lines, is still full of interest. Not long after leaving Inverness the train passes Culloden Moor, site of the final battle of the Jacobite rebellion. After passing over the Findhorn viaduct the train heads down to Aviemore at the heart of the Cairngorms. You may want to stop over here as there is plenty to do especially if you are a train buff there is a preserved steam railway at Aviemore. Heading south again you pass through the central highlands including places like Newtonmore, Kingussie and Blair Atholl. Next stop Pitlochry is a busy little town and like Aviemore there is plenty to see and do - if you're the outdoors type. Aftre Pitlochry the line passes through Dunkeld before reaching Perth the ancient capital of Scotland. From Perth the train heads south-west through Gleneagles to Stirling before shortly joining the main line from Edinburgh back into Glasgow Queen Street.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

bwest

Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Last october I took the train from Saigon to Hanoi, with a stop over in Da Nang. Both are overnight trains, so I booked a berth. The experience is quite worth it, after the train leaves the catering trolley comes by with food for sale, which wasn't too bad. And when the train pulls up in a station you can get off and buy some more food or drinks from the many stalls that line the platform. Quite a fun journey. You can check out tons of interesting train trips on this site btw: http://www.seat61.com/

PanHAM

Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:04 pm

@ EDICHC - thanks for that suggestion. I haven't made any rail trips within Scotland although crossing the Firth of Forth on my next visit is a must. First time I've seen that bridge was 45 years ago, it's about time. I do know however most of the places you mention from numerous trips by car. What about the east coast line from EDI via Dundee to Aberdeen. Last time I stayed in Dundee I saw the Royal Scotsman at the station leaving towards ABZ..
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

tu204

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Trans Siberian all the way  
But take it from Moscow to Irkutsk (lake Baikal).
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

September11

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:49 pm

I think taking the train is fun. Amtrak in Chicago is amazing place to see.
Airliners.net of the Future

EDICHC

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:58 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):

EDI-ABZ is quite interesting by train, the two highlights of course being the crossings of the the Forth and Tay rivers. The Forth Bridge is visually the more imposing but the Tay has the history and is, unless I'm mistaken, still the longest rail bridge in Europe. Incidentally shortly before reaching the Forth Bridge, the line passes close to the end of Rwy 24 at EDI and if 24 is active (which is more often than not) the arriving traffic can pass very low over the line.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

connies4ever

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:31 am

Colleague of mine did Beiijing - Urumqi this past summer. Over 2 days. He's Turkish, wife is Chinese, taking their 2 boys to see some of their heritage. Urumqi is way out West in SInqiang province, in the Muslim area of China. Nusret said he could (sort of) read the signage on the buildings and roads.

Next year they tour Turkey.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

NASCARAirforce

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 am

Quoting doug_Or (Thread starter):
I've been reading a few books on the history or rail travel recently and thought it might be fun to integrate a rail segment into my next vacation (whenever or wherever that may be). I was wondering if any A.netters had any suggestions for routes that had exceptional scenery, historical significance, or a are a particularly good value (affordable high end accommodations in a cheaper country for example).

If you are looking for a day trip that isn't too far there are a few in Colorado if you are into old school steam engines

Durango and Silverton that I think runs from Durango to Silverton in SW Colorado

Cumbres and Toltec - I did this in 1996, 2 trains that run from Antonito New Mexico and a town in Colorado meet in the center where you get a meal then board the train to final destination. - you can catch a shuttle back to your original location

babybus

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I would recommend taking the train from Helsinki to Moscow.

We liked the innumerable contrasts between Finland and Russia. It was pretty cheap and an experience you don't get everyday. You also don't have to worry about your budget when you eat in the buffet car.

If I remember correctly there is a nice, clean Finnish train on the route or you can take what we did the old,rusty Russian train. It was a great taste of old mother Russia.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

signol

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):
Blue Train in South Africa, Not sure if it is still working.

Yes it still runs, but VERY expensive. ($2000 per person) A good alternative is the Premiere Classe train ($200 per person) over the standard train ($50 per person).

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 18):

I've done Inverness - Kyle, it was good but not spectacular. Not up to the Glasgow - Fort William - Mallaig route, so I've heard. If you can do that route, there's also a steam train that runs it often in summer.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 20):
What about the east coast line from EDI via Dundee to Aberdeen

When I did this route, it was pleasant, and as EDICHC says the highlights are the 2 bridges. When crossing the Tay, look out for the remains of the old bridge, which collapsed in a storm. There's a famous poem about it by William MacGonnagall (sp?), Scotland's 2nd best poet  
Quoting Babybus (Reply 26):
I would recommend taking the train from Helsinki to Moscow.

I found this route to be very long with only really forest scenery the whole way. Now there are more trains, and faster ones, the "old" Russian ones don't seem to use it, better try a St Petersburg - Archangel or Murmansk for those  

Plenty of rail ideas at the Seat 61 website: www.seat61.com

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Gemuser

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:46 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 21):
Trans Siberian all the way

Most definately! Even better take it from Helsinki via St Peterberg & Moscow

Quoting tu204 (Reply 21):
But take it from Moscow to Irkutsk (lake Baikal)

If not going the whole way, Irkutsk - Vladivostok is more interesting than Moscow - Irkutsk, IMHO, but do NOT miss Lake Baikal!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

PanHAM

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 27):
There's a famous poem about it by William MacGonnagall (sp?), Scotland's 2nd best poet

The January edition of Trains just had a feature on the UK rail bridges, they had that peom printed as well, I know the area quite well, and my wife and I stayed 2 years ago a few days at the Dundee Hilton. As said, unfortunately I never used the trains.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

rfields5421

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 25):
Durango and Silverton
Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 25):
Cumbres and Toltec

What he didn't mention is that both of these are narrow gauge steam trains. Both cover a section of track which was once part of the Denver & Rio Grande which was abandoned by the railroad after WWII when most of the equipment was requisitioned by the government for the war effort.

You've seen pictures of both railroads in movies which had steam powered trains.

The Durango & Silverton has been a tourist railroad for over 60 years and is going strong.

http://www.durangotrain.com/

The Cumbres and Toltec is a bit of an odd creature. The states of New Mexico and Colorado sought to keep part of the narrow gauge heritage alive. They work with contractors to run and maintain the rail line and there are financial challenges to keeping it running.

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

Both are in danger of disappearing as their engines and cars get older, the rail lines need more maintenance and replacement, etc. The cost keep going up to keep the trains running. We'll probably lose the C&T within another 10-15 years, and the D&S a few years after that. It will be a great loss of the US historical heritage.

Don't delay too long. The best thing is that you can do both in a short week trip. The scenery is a bit more spectacular on the D&S through the Animas Gorge, but the C&T is well worth the effort.

I remember we pulled out of Chama New Mexico on the C&T with a double header to pull the train up to Cumbres Pass. They had to take the engines across the Lobato Trestle one at a time - needing a pusher to get the loaded passenger cars across.

We're hoping to make another trip this summer - the youngest grandsons are 7 & 10 and great train fans.
Not all who wander are lost.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:09 pm

There is a new regular train service that goes from Moscow to Nice and back to Moscow.

See the route map here:
http://fr.rian.ru/infographie/20100908/187384393.html

This is a trip for rail lovers.

The train will pass through Minsk (Belarus), Warsaw (Poland), the Czech Republic, Vienna (Austria), Brenner (between Austria and Italy), Milan, Genoa (Italy) before reaching the edge of the Baie des Anges. Designed specifically for customers and lovers of Russian rail journey will take approximately 53 hours. According to the leaders of RZD, this period could eventually be reduced, because the train can reach 200 km / h. (Google Translation)

http://fr.rian.ru/world/20100923/187491333.html

An Orient-Express style train for the rich Russians. They have now added a two minutes official stop in the Monaco train station since last month.

Onboard new Moscow to Nice train - a 6 minutes visual trip report
New train route, longest in Europe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOpwg1Wvvw&feature=related

The train departing from Wien
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-fiQdYyink&feature=related

The first arrival in Nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCavJCfrCY
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

NASCARAirforce

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 30):
What he didn't mention is that both of these are narrow gauge steam trains. Both cover a section of track which was once part of the Denver & Rio Grande which was abandoned by the railroad after WWII when most of the equipment was requisitioned by the government for the war effort.

You've seen pictures of both railroads in movies which had steam powered trains.

The Durango & Silverton has been a tourist railroad for over 60 years and is going strong.

You ever do Georgetown Loop in Colorado? that is also a narrow guage railroad, but a much shorter ride than the other two.

flyingturtle

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 31):
There is a new regular train service that goes from Moscow to Nice and back to Moscow.

Wow! Thank you, I've never heard of it.

1-2 years ago, direct coaches from BSL to Moscow and vice versa were reinstated. Until the breakdown of the Soviet Union, there were direct coaches from Moscow to GVA via BSL. Me being born in 1981, I still vaguely remember these coaches with those strange letters on them...

rfields5421

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 32):
You ever do Georgetown Loop in Colorado?

Not yet - we hope to this summer.
Not all who wander are lost.

Ferminios

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

I don't travel by train a lot, I only took a segment of the Rocky Mountaineer once, it's really nice and also very expensive   and travelled the Thalys to Paris besides the regular Dutch train network, not too much excitement going on there.

I'm looking into doing some stuff this summer though, there's a service from Amsterdam to Moscow , I will look into it.

And if you're really crazy about it , check out what these guys did :
http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/ 

speedygonzales

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:34 am

Qingzang Railway to or from Lhasa is highly recommended. Some pictures from my Chengdu-Lhasa trip in 2009 here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_speedy/tags/qingzangrailway/
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Quoting speedygonzales (Reply 36):
Qingzang Railway to or from Lhasa is highly recommended. Some pictures from my Chengdu-Lhasa trip in 2009 here:

Can people travel to Tibet freely and independently without being under China authorities tight control and without belonging to a tour group? Is Tibet now a part of China?

speedygonzales

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 37):
Can people travel to Tibet freely and independently without being under China authorities tight control and without belonging to a tour group? Is Tibet now a part of China?

You need a permit, and to be part of a guided tour, at least officially. The tour group can be just one person however.
There are no shortage of Chinise tour operators that can arrange a wide variety of tours. I uses Windhorse Tour in Chengdu.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Quoting speedygonzales (Reply 38):
The tour group can be just one person however.

Thank you for the tips.

I thought there would be "tour groups" requirements though I never thought that one person could make for a tour group. This is very good.

zckls04

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 pm

The best railway journeys I've taken have been Hoi An to Hanoi, and every train journey I've taken in India. Just don't expect to arrive on time.

I've often wondered whether the Rocky Mountaineer is worth going on. Anybody been on it?
Four Granavox Turbines!

corey07850

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:04 pm

I dont do a lot of scenic type train travel but had the pleasure of riding the Soller Train on Palma de Mallorca. It is a beautiful old 1910's model train that winds its way through the mountains of the island. Get off at Port de Soller to experience a 1910's tram car down to the beach.

http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.php

MadameConcorde

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:39 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 33):
Wow! Thank you, I've never heard of it.

I was at the Ventimiglia train station after my Saturday visit to the market yesterday morning and lucked into the Russian train to Nice. It had made a several minutes stop as Ventimiglia is the border station from Italy into France.

Several doors were opened while the train was in the station so I peeked inside. I saw these two mid-age Russian men asking them if they enjoyed the trip. They did not speak any French or English but they had big smiles on their faces and were fresh as if nothing happened, not tired at all after the long journey from Moscow. There was a lady cleaner in an old fashioned maid apron cleaning one of the windows. The cabins looked sort of smallish but very secure. This was probably the "tourist" class cabins, definitely not first class. The train is branded as a luxury train so it must not be bad even in "tourist" class.

I was very curious about this train. I got to speak with one of the French rail agents who checked the train. He said the trip takes 55 hours total with a ticket cost of 600 Euros round trip - first price - and up. He said they never fill the train - a very long train with a big number of carriages - but even if the train is only half full they still make profit because of the high cost of the tickets.

I saw the train leaving the station to Monaco, the next stop after Ventimiglia, and Nice the final stop. I was sorry not to have a camera on hand. I have seen the train going through the Monaco station several times. I am sure I will run into it again many more times.

flyingturtle

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:56 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 42):

Thank you for your description, MadameConcorde!

Long put off, I finally have to make photographs of the Russian coach that travels between Basel and Moscow every day (except for a break from Dec 8th to Jan 7th). The coach looks older than the ones I've seen in your youtube video.

If you can stand google translations: http://sc.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/news/schweiz/827558.html

Regards, David