Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

georgiabill
Topic Author

How Is Your Favorite Baseball Team Off Season Been

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Season Greetings All.

As a sox fan this off season has been very frustrating. Some of the moves or lack there of! I think promoting Ben Cherrington was the logical move as he is familiar with the team and it minor league players. However I think hiring Bobby Valentine may not be a good decision. I think there were better options even though they may have lacked experience managing in the majors.

Player moves have been puzzeling at best. especially allowing Papleborn to sign with the Phillies. With Bard and Aceves are moving to the rotation. Acquiring Mark Melanson who did close for the Astros but had 5 blown save opportunities. Failure to sign Mark Burhle or trading for a starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez is a perfect example. especially as the red sox have said their top pitching prospects are in their lower minor league levels. So no help from the minor leagues in 2012. Not to mention who will play rightfield. Michael Cuddyer who have been a good signing. Beltran probably wouldn't have gone 26 million for 2 years. But they did pick up Nick Punto who can play all the infield positions and Kelly Shoppach as a back up catcher.

As I said for me this season to date has been very frustrating for me as a sox fan.

How was your teams off season so far?

Bill

PSA53

RE: How Is Your Favorite Baseball Team Off Season Been

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Not to bore you guys,as I have started a thread ago about the free agent pick-ups of Pujols and Wilson,the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Azusa and Cucaomga,look super on paper.If there was a little mystery left it would be the bullpen.But I can't wait for the season and when it's all said and done,I hope the Angels will be saying,"I'm going to Disneyland!"

It's only a couple miles down the road from the Big A.(lol)

[Edited 2011-12-24 10:13:11]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

N1120A

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 pm

For the Dodgers - a bunch of mediocre to bad utility infielders and 2 pitchers who aren't as good combined as Hiroki Kuroda is on his own
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

runner13

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Just waiting on the Rangers to sign YU Darvish. Would be nice to see some contract extensions get done.. YU Angels better watch out. The Rangers are still the team to beat. GO RANGERS!!!!!!!! YU all have a merry christmas, a happy new year, and we'll see YU on opening day...

MrChips

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Quoting georgiabill (Thread starter):
However I think hiring Bobby Valentine may not be a good decision. I think there were better options even though they may have lacked experience managing in the majors.

I think Valentine is exactly what the team needs. As much as I liked Terry Francona, things did get a bit out of control under his leadership. That said, his departure was solely the result of ownership (with whom I am having an increasing issue with their decisions, especially Lucchino) needing a "fall guy".

allowing Papleborn to sign with the Phillies.

He had to go; he wanted too much money (seriously, $12 million per season for a reliever? The mind boggles!), and I am very convinced that his best days are behind him as a reliever.

Bard and Aceves are moving to the rotation.

Both good moves. Bard is excellent, but Aceves *could* be an All-Star level pitcher.

Acquiring Mark Melanson who did close for the Astros but had 5 blown save opportunities.

They needed someone to fill Bard's former spot, that of the closer in a losing game.

Not to mention who will play rightfield.

I agree, that is a big question mark right now. Drew is as close to done as any player can be and they don't really have enough depth in the outfield to move anyone else on the roster to fill the gap. Don't despair just yet; there's still lots of offseason left to make player moves.

Quoting runner13 (Reply 3):
Just waiting on the Rangers to sign YU Darvish.

Ahh yes, Yu Darvish, aka Dice-K 2.0. Mark my words; in two or three years, he's going to be a millstone around your neck.

[Edited 2011-12-24 15:37:19]
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

georgiabill
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:53 pm

Sox have completed a trade with the A's for closer Andrew Bailey (75 saves over last 3 seasons) outfielder Ryan Sweeney. The sox gave up outfielder Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers third baseman Miles Head and RHP Raul Alcantra. If Bailey can remain healthy they mave found Papleborns longterm replacement.

A few pieces added to the puzzel. However in my humble opinion as an armchair general manager another outfielder is needed!!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

flymia

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:53 am

Best one ever for the Marlins. Picked up Reyes, Bell, Burhele. Marlins have a very good looking lineup as long as Josh Johnson stays healthy that's a big if too, Marlins should be a NL contender. I say trade Hanely for Ryan Zimmerman, we will see what happens with Hanely moving to third.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

runner13

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 4):
Ahh yes, Yu Darvish, aka Dice-K 2.0. Mark my words; in two or three years, he's going to be a millstone around your neck.

That's fine after three years we'll trade him to some team that needs mediocre pitching, and take some good prospects. It's a win win if you ask me

Stretch 8

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:20 pm

For my Detroit Tigers, not too many adjustments are needed. The biggest pick up so far has been Octavio Dotel to help in the late innings for Papa Grande and Benoit. They still need a 2B with a bat. Working on the defector Cespedes, a 5-tool player they would probably stick in CF, moving Ajax to LF. And finally, they could swing a deal with the Cubs for Matt Garza. If all that happens, they could be a WS team in 2012.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

MrChips

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting runner13 (Reply 7):
That's fine after three years we'll trade him to some team that needs mediocre pitching, and take some good prospects. It's a win win if you ask me

What.

First of all, he's going to demand a long, expensive contract; probably quite a bit more than Dice-K's initial 6/$52 million contract. Second, when you factor the posting fee your team just paid so that they had the right to talk to him, you've got yourself a $110-120 million dollar man, which is not small money for any team. If he doesn't go the full length of his contract while performing at or near the top of the league, it will be seen as a total failure.

Second, unless you're the Phillies, who trades for mediocre pitching these days, especially $20-30 million mediocre pitching? Dice-K is completely untradeable right now, even if you factor his injury out.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

Longhornmaniac

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:47 pm

What's baseball? /Astros fan.

As a Rangers fan (I'm still not sure how I'm going to work this one out come next season when they're both in the AL West), I'm excited about the prospects of Yu. I think moving Feliz into the starting rotation is probably the right thing to do. I'm going to miss CJ, but it's not a HUGE loss.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

PSA53

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:02 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 10):
What's baseball? /Astros fan.

Funny! But like my Angels,they're day in the sun will come.

Texas is still going to be very tough for us.Rangers are still talented and will be a hand full.But I think the Angels put some mental toughness in the line up to put us over the top in 2012.It's going to be fun.

texan

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:43 pm

especially allowing Papleborn to sign with the Phillies.
Failure to sign Mark Burhle or trading for a starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez is a perfect example.

I think Boston has been smart this offseason. Why overspend when you can acquire a closer and a right fielder for three prospects? Buerhle wanted to play in one of only a couple places and the Marlins wanted to make a splash. Again, the BoSox would've had to overpay to get him. The Nats gave up too much to get Gio Gonzalez, a good but not great pitcher who is somewhat the product of the ballpark he played in. On the other hand, he could be a good #3 starter for a team like the Nats. As much as I dislike the Red Sox I think they've had a decent offseason.

As for my Rangers, we lost Wilson, Oliver, Endy Chavez and Matt Treanor. We've signed Joe Nathan and we won the rights to Yu Darvish. If we sign Darvish, I'm willing to call the loss of Wilson a wash. Nathan replaces Feliz, who moves to the rotation. And as much as I like Oliver, we should still have a dominant bullpen.

The Rangers haven't done too much, but we haven't needed to do much. We have a plethora of pitchers--never a negative. Our starting five should be Lewis-Holland-Darvish-Feliz-Harrison/Feldman/Ogando. Our bullpen keeps the two pitchers who don't make the starting five plus Nathan, Uehara, Tateyama, Adams and Lowe. Our lineup stays Kinsler-Andrus-Hamilton-Beltre-Young-Napoli-Cruz-Murphy-Moreland.

We also have help available through the minors: Omar Beltre, Martin Perez and Leonys Martin are just three players I can see on the major league roster on opening day. And if the wheels do fall off we have tons of trading chips that will help us restock even more.

The Angels signings have me concerned but not overly concerned. Yes, they added Pujols and he will provide them with a couple more wins per year. Wilson gives them one of the top starting rotations in the game. And trading for Ianetta will help because anybody is better than Jeff Mathis. But they still have to trot out two of the three of Wells, Abreu and Hunter every game. Nobody other than Pujols hits for average yet, although that should change this year. The Angels should give the Rangers a run for their money, but I still think Texas wins the division.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Mir

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Quoting runner13 (Reply 7):

You don't know how this works, do you?

Let's assume that Darvish gets a 6 year, $72 million deal ($12 million per). Any team that needs mediocre pitching is going to be looking to spend far less than that. Freddy Garcia, for example, was middle-of-the-road pitcher (I'd argue he was better than mediocre) last year, and he's making $4 million a year. You're not going to get anyone to take a salary that's three times that unless the production is far better. Secondly, any team that needs mediocre pitching isn't going to be giving up good prospects in return - nobody needs mediocre pitching that badly.

There's a reason that Dice-K is still on the Red Sox. There's a reason that AJ Burnett is still with the Yankees. They are untradeable. And if Darvish goes the same way as Dice-K, he will be as well.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PSA53

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 12):
Yes, they added Pujols and he will provide them with a couple more wins per year.

Haha!(LOL)(lol)Yes,at least couple of wins more! Thanks for going out on limb on that one.(LOL) Hope we didn't cause you strain that might lead to a stroke.(lol)

Happy New Year.

texan

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:08 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 14):

The Angels overachieved last year. Pujols gives them a big bat for sure. And I'm high on Kendrick. But there are still too many mediocre to poor hitters on the team. I'm concerned about the Angels right now but not too much.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

PSA53

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:31 am

Quoting texan (Reply 15):

The Angels overachieved last year.

I'll agree with that to a certain degree.The youngsters Trumbo,Bourjos and even Trout got important hits when they really counted while some big hitters we're slumping especially Wells.

But it was the bullpen that was our Achilles heal last season.