Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747400sp
Topic Author

Is It Time For The Dallas Cowboy To Lose Romo?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:00 pm

The Dallas Cowboys, could be a very powerful team, but they have one problem, their quarter back Tony Romo. It seem like Romo is eating the wrong things during his games, because he likes to chokes a lot, on the field. I would think the Cowboys would be sick of this. So do think it is time for Dallas to replace Tony Romo?

Longhornmaniac

RE: Is It Time For The Dallas Cowboy To Lose Romo?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Anyone who thinks Tony Romo is the Cowboys' problem isn't paying much attention. The problem is must more systematic than it is on a single player. The team is young, we have an inexperienced offensive line, and we were plagued by injuries the entire season. Dallas hit its mid-season stride, and then our spark, RB Demarco Murray went down with a season-ending knee injury. By that point our second string running back was an undrafted free agent rookie, and then he got hurt. Felix came back from injury, and by that point our second string RB was Sammie Morris, who was picking his kids up from school two weeks prior. As it always seems to, the injury bug bit us really hard this year.

You simply cannot look at these stats and think Romo is a liability. Yes, he had his bad finishes with the Jets and Lions, but that's all that people remember. They don't look critically at the problems within the Cowboys organization, they'd rather give it a posterchild, and Romo seems to be the easy target. You don't see the receivers running the wrong routes, or the missed blocking assignments on the OL. You assume it's Romo's fault. You don't see (or choose not to see) our easily-exploited secondary being abused week-in, week-out, you assume the offense isn't putting up enough points.

More than any other team (probably because of their visibility), the Cowboys are critiqued down to the most minute of details. Jerry Jones is a fantastic owner, but without argue one of the worst GMs in the NFL. People can't seem to separate his duties there, and give credit where its due. The Cowboys are where they are in large part to his successes as an NFL owner. We desperately need a good GM.

There are a lot of things I'd rather see gone than Tony Romo. Let's start with Jerry Jones as GM, followed immediately by CB Terrence Newman.

*disclaimer* the "yous" in this post don't refer to you, or any specific poster, but rather the people who subscribe to this mindset. It's pervasive in the country, and it's misinformed.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

aa61hvy

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
The Dallas Cowboys, could be a very powerful team, but they have one problem, their quarter back Tony Romo. It seem like Romo is eating the wrong things during his games, because he likes to chokes a lot, on the field. I would think the Cowboys would be sick of this. So do think it is time for Dallas to replace Tony Romo?

Do you watch football? I'm serious. Anyone who watches the game closely knows Romo is an asset.

From Cameron's link:
RK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G
1 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 502 343 68.3 4,643 9.25 93 45 6 36 122.5 310
2 Drew Brees, QB NO 657 468 71.2 5,476 8.34 79 46 14 24 110.6 342
3 Tom Brady, QB NE 611 401 65.6 5,235 8.57 99 39 12 32 105.6 327
4 Tony Romo, QB DAL 522 346 66.3 4,184 8.02 77 31 10 36 102.5 262

He looks pretty damn good to me. Romo (and Stafford) should have been invited to the Pro Bowl long before Eli did.
Go big or go home

DfwRevolution

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 pm

The Dallas Cowboys, could be a very powerful team, but they have one problem, their quarter back Tony Romo

Obviously trolling  
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

rfields5421

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 1):
but without argue one of the worst GMs in the NFL.

Such decisions as not thinking kickers are worth the effort and never having a solid reliable point maker, and too many more to list.
Not all who wander are lost.

texan

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 am

The Cowboys are my team. But I'm not a Romo fan. I do have some comments, though.

but they have one problem

They have more than one problem. Offensive line, running back consistency, secondary, linebackers, GM, coach.

their quarter back Tony Romo

I may not love Romo but he isn't the problem. If he had a decent offensive line or a consistent running game to help him--Aikman had both--then he would be one of the best QBs in the league. Without those two things he is still above average for sure.

Rob Ryan did the best he could with our defense. He blitzed the hell out of everyone because our secondary couldn't cover a BLT sandwich. And our linebacking corps isn't that much better.

Garrett is obsessed with running draws from the shotgun. He has 20 running plays: 18 of them are draws, two are pitches. That's not a winning formula.

Our owner/GM doesn't understand football at all. Perhaps only Dan Snyder of the Redskins has less understanding of the game.

A couple of our offensive linemen are among the most penalised in the league and have been for at least two years. And we can't find a center to snap the ball to Romo without tossing it over Romo's head.

If the Boys are havin' problems I feel bad for us son, they got 99 problems but QB ain't one.

Texan

[Edited 2012-01-09 18:34:14]
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

ER757

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 am

Quoting texan (Reply 5):
Our owner/GM doesn't understand football at all. Perhaps only Dan Snyder of the Redskins has less understanding of the game.

I'll throw one more out there - as a lifelong (and long-suffering) Bears fan. Anyone associated with the McCaskey family. Ownership lost all connections to football knowledge when Pap Bear Halas died.

rfields5421

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:45 am

Quoting texan (Reply 5):
Our owner/GM doesn't understand football at all.

Jerry understands football - as a player 50 years ago.

But the owner should not be involved in game decisions. Jerry thinks he knows best which players to hire. And he only wants coaches who agree with him.
Not all who wander are lost.

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 am

Quoting texan (Reply 5):
linebackers,

Dallas' LB are solid, Sean Lee and D Ware are better than many in the NFL.

I wont argue with any of your other points.
Go big or go home

StarAC17

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:12 am

If you want the Cowboys to work and actually win you need a proprer GM who will build a team and not just assemble talent like Jerry seems to do.

You need a GM and a Coach whom are not "Yes" Men to Jerry Jones and I reckon a lot of good coaches and GM's don't want to be in Dallas because of the interference, look at how it went for the Tuna. Now I have been in Australia for all but 2 weeks of this season so I don't know if Garrett has been given any more control that Phillips did.

Bill Cowher for example is not going to come back and coach Dallas if Jerry interferes, he will only come out of retirement if given full control.

Also if you still want to ditch Romo as a Miami fan we'll gladly take him!!
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

texan

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 am

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 8):

Fair point. Half of our linebackers are good. Ware rocks and Lee can be really good. I have no idea who are other two LBs even are anymore.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

us330

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:31 pm

No, but it wouldnt hurt to draft a QB for developmental purposes.
As others have pointed out, the two biggest problems are the defense, and Jerry the GM. He's a great owner--but the man is absolutely delusional about his skills as a GM according to several recent articles published in the Dallas Morning News.

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 11):
He's a great owner--but the man is absolutely delusional about his skills as a GM according to several recent articles published in the Dallas Morning News.

Al Davis II

It reminds me of a grandparent that all of his kids knows needs to go to an assisted living home, but the person refuses to. Jerry is the grandparent.
Go big or go home

4holer

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:48 pm

I hate the Cowboys.
So yeah, by all means... Lose Romo. May I also suggest Derek Anderson or Matt Leinart as a replacement?
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

ha763

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:40 am

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 12):
Al Davis II

This is exactly what I was thinking. Both owners had some success in the past acting as owner and GM, but I think Jerry has been just lucky rather than competent.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 am

As a fan of the NY Giants, I love it when Cowgirls fail. Still I want them to be competitive.

Romo is not the problem, indeed as others have said, they have many needs and worst of all, they have an owner who is past his prime as a GM. We saw with Oakland that a old owner and GM in one person is not viable in the modern NFL. Jerry Jones has a big problem with having too much invested in a stadium that while great means he has to hype the gate to get fans in rather than get quiet, younger, less spectacular and less fragile players. Worse, it is so expensive that a lot of real fans who are working class are not priced out and that in turn hurts your fan base.