Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cruiseshipcrew
Topic Author

Costa Concordia With 4,200 Pax Being Evacuated

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 am

Breaking news. Appears everyone has been safely evacuated in the lifeboats. Big props to the crew members who did their trained jobs.

Costa Concordia developed major electrical fault two hours after leaving port
All 4,200 passengers and crew, including several British holidaymakers, safely evacuated
Ship 'ran aground', according to coastguard officials

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-Italian-coast.html#ixzz1jOJZsQoq

cruiseshipcrew
Topic Author

RE: Costa Concordia With 4,200 Pax Being Evacuated

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:22 am

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/shipblogger/costa.jpg

Hopefully the ship stays grounded and stays afloat.

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 am

Quoting cruiseshipcrew (Reply 1):
Hopefully the ship stays grounded and stays afloat.

Wow, that ship has a very obvious list to one side and must be taking on a lot of seawater.....
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

scrubbsywg

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:43 am

breaking news ticker on cnn says at least 6 people died

Ken777

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:43 am

I'll be waiting to see the pictures in the daytime, but would bet that the ship will be able to be recovered and repaired. Hopefully without any salvagers getting involved.

There should be some major congrats to the crew for their efforts in helping the pax getting off safely. I hope there is as vigorous an engineering review of the electrical problems as well as reviews of the safety procedures in light of putting them in place.

Ironic timing, though, as the Better Half & I are making a mad dash to book a trip (hopefully with a cruise) by late tomorrow as I have an MCO that dies at midnight tomorrow.

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:05 am

The Concordia apparently has a severe gash in its hull, and the situation is very chaotic. Passengers and crew remaining onboard are now being helicoptered off the liner because the current list of the ship will no longer allow for lifeboat deployment, according to the below report from the Associated Press.

Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...RAST&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

cruiseshipcrew
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:09 am

The ship has since capsized.

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:21 am

Prayers to those lost and their families. Here is a photo of the capsized liner.

Source: http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/...oncordia-rams-into-pier-killing-2/

kaitak

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:39 am

Here's some info about the ship. This appears to be the first major incident involving a passenger cruise ship (that is, excluding ferries in the Philippines etc) for many, many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia

As you can see, it's a very big ship - 114,000t. And it's also very new.

It must have been a very traumatising incident for the passengers; sad that any died, but v. relieved to know that the vast majority escaped alive.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:20 am

Wow here she is now

http://mikeyscruiseblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/concordia.png

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 4):
I'll be waiting to see the pictures in the daytime, but would bet that the ship will be able to be recovered and repaired. Hopefully without any salvagers getting involved.

Judging from the photo above the Concordia won't be repaired.

zkojq

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 am

Here are some photos of the gash in the the left side of the ship. The damage looks pretty serious. RIP to those who sadly died.
http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca...o_squarcio_di_70_metri-28082517/1/
First to fly the 787-9

racko

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:56 am

OA260

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 8):
Here's some info about the ship. This appears to be the first major incident involving a passenger cruise ship (that is, excluding ferries in the Philippines etc) for many, many years.

Indeed cruise ships are very safe and have a good record. Very sad to see this I have been on Costa a few times and one of their ships similar to this one.

Aer Lingus DUB-CPH/Costa Cruzeiros/PICS Vids (by OA260 Sep 21 2008 in Trip Reports)

RIP to all the victims and injured. Will be interesting to hear exactly what happened.

pliersinsight

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:11 am

1912 much?

Given the a.net lust for speculation I'm kinda shocked there isn't any yet....

I thought all these newer ships had GPS and giant flat screen moving maps and all that kind of stuff.

Do they have data recorders on ships akin to those on aircraft and such?

aloges

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 8):
This appears to be the first major incident involving a passenger cruise ship (that is, excluding ferries in the Philippines etc) for many, many years.

Sadly, the last two similar accidents (that I know of) happened only four to five years ago: the MS Sea Diamond sank in the Caldera of Santorini and the MS Explorer sank in the Antarctic.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

OA260

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 am

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 14):
Do they have data recorders on ships akin to those on aircraft and such?

Yes cruise ships have ''black boxes'' also.

Another pic :

[Edited 2012-01-14 03:15:01]

na

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 am

OMG, how could this happen? How can a modern ship like this strike rocks in such well-chartered grounds, even if there is "just" a generator failure? No fail-safe-system on board? Sounds like major constructional faults of this ship, which is just one of many of a class of nearly identical ones in Costas and Carnivals fleet.

I think this will be a major wakeup-call for the cruise industry which has been building exceedingly bigger, thin-hulled, shallow draft, high-sided fair-weather boats which clearly are very vulnerable. The ship began listing faster than Titanic.
Passengers say they were informed about an electrical fault while everybody could see that the ship went over the side. How can you misinform passengers this way of which no one would be so dump to believe that a ship lists drastically due to an electrical fault. I wouldnt wonder if there were grave mistakes from the navigational side. A generator failure alone cant have lead to this disaster, but if so, the safety standards are ridiculous.

The photos of the hole are scray. There is a rock the size of a small house buried in the gash.

na

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:37 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 15):
Sadly, the last two similar accidents (that I know of) happened only four to five years ago: the MS Sea Diamond sank in the Caldera of Santorini and the MS Explorer sank in the Antarctic.

And the Sea Diamond disaster was very similar to this event. Struck rocks near the coast, ship began listing, pax evacuated, a few deaths, sinking a few hours later.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):

I would think so too at first sight, but Im no salvage expert. I dont know if such a huge ship can be raised in such shallow water. If it can be raised, it can be repaired. That ship cost about 500 million Euros and is just 6 years old. But would Costa like that it is being repaired, and would passengers like to cruise on a sunk ship again?

PanHAM

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:16 pm

One could think that the crew does not make such mistakes, when they do their weekly "milk runs". Wonder who screwed up on this one, the commission investigating this will find out. May be the rock moved or wasn't there last week.

Quoting na (Reply 18):
But would Costa like that it is being repaired, and would passengers like to cruise on a sunk ship again?

I doubt that Costa would like to have their ship repaired. They rather keep their fingers crossed that the insurers transfer the sum to their accounts. The salvage firms in Holland will have their people on site, the ship has to be removed, either piece by piece or in total. Fixing a 70 metre gash is quite a task under the circumstances, but if they manage to get the Concordia to a dry dock where it can be repaired, it'll likely be sold and get a new name.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Aesma

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Wow, my mom was following this all morning on Italian TV since she's from Tuscany. Just heard on TV that they finished counting the survivors and there are 70 people missing !

What a screw up ! It seems in a lot of shipping accidents, it all starts with a minor event that isn't taken into account by the crew as it should (like with a very thorough checklist, as used in airliners), be it a failed equipment, failure to recognize dangerous meteorological conditions, etc. And it all goes downhill from there. I guess the fact that things aren't moving as fast as in a plane are a big factor in minimizing anomalies.

It also seems evacuation wasn't ordered until 2 hours after the accident, when the ship was listing heavily, meaning using the lifeboats was really complicated. And people started breaking windows and jumping.

1912 much?

A French passenger just said as much, that it was like Titanic happening in real life (I guess she thought it was only a movie).

Descriptions of lifeboats with one rope shorter than the other and people jumping off that big ship do indeed evoke the Titanic disaster.

[Edited 2012-01-14 04:30:04]
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

zanl188

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow! Given the damage and the size of the rock it must have been terrifying for anyone in the engineering spaces. I wonder if they had any warning?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

thomil13FRA

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Quoting na (Reply 17):
Passengers say they were informed about an electrical fault while everybody could see that the ship went over the side.

According to BBC, the timeline was slightly different. According to them, a loud boom was heard throughout the ship, followed by the announcement. The ship apparently began to list after that. That would make sense to me. The ship is underway in a relativley restricted seaway, and suddenly, through an unknown incident looses her engines. She starts to drift, and runs aground shortly after.

Costa is definitely going to have to answer some questions. Why did they choose such a restricted waterway? The passage between the Island of Giglio and the mainland is about 7 nautical miles wide. How much of this is available to a ship of the size of Costa Concordia?

Furthermore, what happened in the engine room? Why did she loose power? Costa Concordia had reported technical problems shortly after leaving Civitavecchia.

1stfl94

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 pm

It seems surprising that the ship was able to list so fast, especially for one built recently. Hopefully they are able to locate all those missing, must be incredibly difficult trying to identify over 3000 passengers.

OA260

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 pm

A video showing up close the damage :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwLQDwqDCI

And images from Sky IT :

http://tg24.sky.it/tg24/cronaca/phot...costa_concordia_nave_crociera.html

Picture No.7 is scary !

BMIFlyer

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Al I can say is RIP to those who perished. Let's hope they find those who are missing, alive.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

par13del

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Large ship some of it not submerged, whether its repaired as we know is a financial decision that will be made by the bean counters, but technically, I know folks are salivating at the prospect of bringing her back to life.

Given the a.net lust for speculation I'm kinda shocked there isn't any yet....

I thought all these newer ships had GPS and giant flat screen moving maps and all that kind of stuff.
Quoting na (Reply 17):
I think this will be a major wakeup-call for the cruise industry which has been building exceedingly bigger, thin-hulled, shallow draft, high-sided fair-weather boats which clearly are very vulnerable. The ship began listing faster than Titanic.

Bingo, I would be interested in knowing whether counter-flooding could have been initiated, better to let the vessel settle to allow the boats to be launched safely rather than the heavy list which rendered one side useless and dangerous.

PanHAM

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Difficult to judge from media reports, as we all know the press is not the real expert on most matters. But 70 passengers (or 50 as shown in a German online newspaper) unaccounted for is scary. They have saved about 150 people from the water, possible more have jumped and perished.

If an accident like that happens the captain must order to evacuate immediately, as the cruise started that day, the drill should be in fresh memory and the evacuation should be finished before the listing makes it impossible to launch the rafts.

After all, this was not on high seas and in rough sea with high winds, this was within a few hundred meters of the shore , near a port. As said, we have to trust media reports here, but judging from the pictures and various reports, a few things could have been done better.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

1stfl94

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 26):

Large ship some of it not submerged, whether its repaired as we know is a financial decision that will be made by the bean counters, but technically, I know folks are salivating at the prospect of bringing her back to life.

It's not uncommon for ships to have been repaired after partially the sinking, the Cristal, which replaced the Sea Diamond had herself partially sank a few years before and was successfully repaired. However, getting the Concordia back upright won't be an easy task, but will probably have to be done to stop her being a hazard to other ships, and the damage from going over 90 degrees might be too much to be repaired. It's too early to say however, even when the Herald of Free Enterprise capsized in 1987 there was talk initially after tying to repair her, until the full extent of damage was found.

OA260

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 27):
as the cruise started that day, the drill should be in fresh memory and the evacuation should be finished before the listing makes it impossible to launch the rafts.

Im a bit confused as to if a drill was done as reading another maritime forum a passenger who got off in Rome seems to say the drill was to take place later . Not sure if its a typo or misunderstanding.

Polot

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
Im a bit confused as to if a drill was done as reading another maritime forum a passenger who got off in Rome seems to say the drill was to take place later . Not sure if its a typo or misunderstanding.

According to some reports I have read the drill was to take place today (Saturday). I was always under the impression that the drill was done at the very start of cruises, but it has been a long time since I have been on one.

OA260

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 30):
According to some reports I have read the drill was to take place today (Saturday). I was always under the impression that the drill was done at the very start of cruises, but it has been a long time since I have been on one.

See with the new concept of Costa and MSC you can get on in various ports so they have a combined drill after the last pick up. I have used that procedure myself when I couldn't take the whole cruise. My next cruise with NCL also allows you to board in two ports two days apart.

I'm not superstitious but this has been posted :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwn6-DlhiR0

The bottle didn't smash on launch !

jetfuel

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

What do you make of the last track? Pretty obvious way off course?
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

ltbewr

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:18 pm

As seen in the past, too much relying on technology, complacency, poor resource management (like poor CRM with aircraft), not recognizing a problem that can lead to further problems and taking appropriate action before it does can lead to serious trouble and disaster.

It appears the ship was way too close to the coastline of an island in their route, had a relatively minor problem that compounded others, perhaps a top heavy design all leading to this grounding and listing. Probably like all other transportation operators, they were on a deadline, they probably wanted passengers to have a close and nice view and made a terrible misjudgment. The list of the ship was very quick, so much so it make launching evacuation boats near impossible. There are also reports of confusion as to procedures and how to use the evacuation boats. There does appear to have been fairly quick and major reaction by the Italian equivalent of the Coast Guard which probably saved many lives. Many pax had to be removed by helicopter due to the position and list of the ship.

Apparently the captain and other top ship officers are in investigational custody, a number of passengers are missing and not yet accounted for and at least 3 dead. I suspect a major investigation is underway and will take a while, like with aircraft accidents, to figure out what happened.

As to what happens to the ship, that will be something among the owners, insurers, salvage companies and what can be physically and financially sound to do. I also suspect numerous lawsuits will be filed and a lot of insurance settlements done as to those injured or dead from this. The rep of the cruise line will take a hit as well, probably hurting bookings and revenues for them as well.

janmnastami

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 pm

baguy

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):

I had this on Fortuna a few years ago - cruised from Venice, muster drill after Bari a day later. And at that time we were discussing what would happened should we need to evacuate if people weren't aware of procedure. I was under the impression that there was some rule that it had to be completed 24 hours after leaving port? Perhaps it should now take place before leaving port !

Baguy

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Another really good shot, so close to shore as well.

http://static.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2012/01/14/1326549434730_403.jpg

jetfuel

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 pm

These listing incidents/accidents are horrendous. It puts both sides of the ship in a position of making it impossible to lower the life boats. So how do 6000 or 8000 people get off one of these things? Short answer they dont. Going to be some major shakeups coming after an investigation.

Family ship in same class as this one .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Princess_(ship)#Listing_incident
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 37):
Family ship in same class as this one .

Roughly the same size but not the same class, Concordia was a Concordia Class vessel, Crown Princess is a Grand Class vessel. Different kind of incident as well, Concordia ripped her side out on rocks, Crown Princess had a steering fault which caused her to list, one was an accident, the other was a mechanical failure.

bristolflyer

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:22 pm

I heard that it hit a sandbar then the captain piloted the ship to shallower waters (presumably so that if the boat did sink it wouldn't go down totally). Clearly it wasn't just a 'sand' bar that he hit - that rock is enormous.

Unbelievable how many ships crash/sink compared to how safe flying is.
Fortune favours the brave

jetfuel

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 38):
Roughly the same size but not the same class, Concordia was a Concordia Class vessel, Crown Princess is a Grand Class vessel.

They are the same basic design, same builder, same basic planes. Reality is these are top heavy bath tub boats that are happy to topple over. Ships like the Titanic had a far superior stability from falling over

[Edited 2012-01-14 07:35:58]

zanl188

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Bad day for those in the engineering spaces I'm afraid. Good thing they were close to shore...

Credit: AP

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 40):

They are the same basic design, same builder, same basic planes.

No they are not. The Concordia class are a modified version of the Carnival Destiny Class, designed by Carnivals in house architect Joe Farcus, Joe has been the designer of all Carnivals vessels for 30 odd years. The Grand Class were not designed by Carnival, P&O/Princess weren't even a division of Carnival when the first Grand Class was launched.

bananaboy

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Quoting na (Reply 18):
would passengers like to cruise on a sunk ship again?
Quoting 1stfl94 (Reply 28):
It's not uncommon for ships to have been repaired after partially the sinking, the Cristal, which replaced the Sea Diamond had herself partially sank a few years before and was successfully repaired.

... not to mention Pride of America that sank at least three decks deep during construction and required major repairs before she could sail.

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 37):

These listing incidents/accidents are horrendous.

Must have been very scary for all concerned.

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 40):
Reality is these are top heavy

They aren't top heavy. Aluminium up top. Steel down below.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

PanHAM

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):

I heard he same on TV after typing my message. Explains the chaos at least partially.

Take a close look at the picture above on reply 41 - that looks like a huge rock stuck in the gash, they must have hit the rock at some speed.

No explanation why the passengers where told that "generator" BS. Totally unprofessional.

Now, the damage is on the port side, the listing is towards the star board. One should say that the listing should go to the side where the ddamage is, unless the bulkheads are not closed allowing the water to shift to the other side.

Looks like the shipping line makes a bruta figura in this accident.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

zanl188

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 44):
Take a close look at the picture above on reply 41 - that looks like a huge rock stuck in the gash, they must have hit the rock at some speed.

Also strange that, on pix of the whole port side, the stabilizer is deployed and apparently undamaged. Could they have been in a high speed starboard turn when they hit?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 44):
Now, the damage is on the port side, the listing is towards the star board. One should say that the listing should go to the side where the ddamage is, unless the bulkheads are not closed allowing the water to shift to the other side.

I'm going to speculate they were counterflooding to keep the ship level until they could get the ship to shallow water. I bet they had a port list first and the starboard list came later.

Ken777

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm saddened by the loss and my thoughts go out to their families.

This one is going to need a full investigation and some major upgrades to safety standards..

Far worse than I had though last night. The list at the time was similar to some high speed turns we took when I was on the Long Beach.

PanHAM

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 45):

Also strange that, on pix of the whole port side, the stabilizer is deployed and apparently undamaged. Could they have been in a high speed starboard turn when they hit?

I've noticed that as well. Whatever maneuver they have exercised, it must have been at high speed, otherwise the damage would not be like it is.

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 45):
I'm going to speculate they were counterflooding to keep the ship level until they could get the ship to shallow water. I bet they had a port list first and the starboard list came later.

quite possible, now, we do not have verified information if the accident happened where the ship is now or in deeper waters near that rock. If the latter and the captain has moved the ship towards where it is now, he may have prevented a capsizing. That would then also explain the starboard listing. If that's trhe case they have eventually prevented a desaster.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Some Italian newpapers report that at the time of the accident the captain was at the restaurant.

BTW is there anyone that knows if the standard training for the cruise ship crews contains the Human Factor? Are they used to be trained on the crew resource management discipline?

PlymSpotter

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 32):
What do you make of the last track? Pretty obvious way off course?

I make it to be back to front, or not quite right. The map has her heading North, the pictures facing South, so did she manage to turn after completing that track, or is the track wrong?

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...