flanker
Topic Author

Pats Vs Giants Here We Go! Superbowl Xlvi

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:17 am

I BELIEVE IN YOU ELI....

What do you guys think? Pats are going to have a tough time with the way the Giants are playing, but then again who knows.. knowing Eli, he will throw a pick to end the game. On the same hand I am just as scared of Brady being a noob under pressure.

I'm tied in my pool for 1st.. its going to come down to the Superbowl.

[Edited 2012-01-22 22:17:41]

Mir

RE: Pats Vs Giants Here We Go! Superbowl Xlvi

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 am

Ironic that the Colts pretty much strongarmed the NFL into giving them a Super Bowl in their building so that they could have Manning playing in a Super Bowl in their own building. They'll get their wish...just with a different Manning.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 am

Well, as a Pats fan, I'm kind of happy to get a rematch against the Giants....but at the same time, Eli Manning makes me nervous. He and the Giants are riding a hot streak right now.

Very close games today! Almost had a heart attack toward the end of the Pats-Ravens game....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flanker
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
Very close games today! Almost had a heart attack toward the end of the Pats-Ravens game....

Me too, had 9 points on them. Would have catapulted me into 3rd place in the playoff pool im in.

The faces of the Ravens players were priceless...

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 am

Quoting flanker (Reply 3):
The faces of the Ravens players were priceless...

Yep. Though to be honest, I actually wanted to guy to make the field goal. I feel incredibly bad for him - I'd rather that he made it and the game went to overtime. I never like seeing kickers miss clutch field goals - especially relatively easy ones.

But oh well, at least the Pats won.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Maverick623

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 am

Quoting flanker (Thread starter):
knowing Eli, he will throw a pick to end the game

He has to throw the freakin ball first.

Seriously, he held onto it tonight like it was his protective stuffed animal.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Revelation

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:32 pm

As a Pats fan, I'm glad we got past the Ravens.

The Pats did much better than I thought they would along the line. They gave Brady a lot of time to throw, they in general did a good job in the run blocking department and the defensive line stopped the run pretty good.

Brady is getting heaps of criticism about his play (especially his "I sucked" line) but I think he played a good game. Yes, there were the two INTs, one due to a flukey bounce and an exceptional play by the Ravens, but he made dozens of great throws all night. He got the ball out quick which is essential against a great defense.

The problem areas are really at wide receiver and at defensive backfield.

You really can't feel great going to the SB with wideouts like Julian freaking Edelman, Matthew freaking Slater, Chad freaking Ochocinco and Deon freaking Branch. Welker is great, but he's a slot receiver. There's no deep threat. It's not for lack of trying. The Pats have drafted wideouts fairly high, but no luck there.

You could see the Ravens didn't bother respecting the Pats deep game and it didn't cost them a thing. In fact the INT in the end zone was because they had no fear of Slater making a play.

As we say in Boston, Randy Moss isn't walking through that freaking door.

The Pats DBs let up big plays to the Raven's relatively average wideouts. They will really struggle with Manningham, Nix and Cruz.

I see the opening line favors the Pats by 3. I would have thought it would be the opposite of that.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Moose135

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 5):
He has to throw the freakin ball first.

Seriously, he held onto it tonight like it was his protective stuffed animal.

Eli attempted 58 passes in the game - how many more would you like? Yes, when he got hit or sacked, he held onto the ball, that's what he is supposed to do. Or are you talking about how he held onto the ball and moved around, avoiding defenders, until he had someone open to throw to? I think he did a masterful job - you might even call it elite.

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

EasternSon

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Quoting moose135 (Reply 7):
he held onto the ball and moved around, avoiding defenders, until he had someone open to throw to

Even Troy Aikman complemented his presence and awareness in the pocket, and he never says anything good about the Giants.

With regard to the match-up between the Patriots and Giants, I do believe that NY has the upper hand, albeit by a slight margin.

I think the New England secondary is going to have a really, really tough time covering three good deep threats in Manningham, Nix and Cruz. If Eli is given time to find a receiver, he's going to complete a lot of passes. The NY running game is still horrible right now - I find it hard to watch Brandon Jacobs falling over the first time anyone touches him.

Brady is one hell of a quarterback, and I'm not counting the Patriots out by any means. Their offensive attack can be brutal when they're firing on all cylinders. But, if they look like they did against Baltimore, it's going to be hard to put up points. The Giant defense needs to keep heavy pressure on Brady to keep him off balance.

It's going to be a nail-biter, I think.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

rfields5421

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting flanker (Thread starter):
the way the Giants are playing,

I've always been a believer in momentum - that a team peaking toward the end of the season does better in the playoffs than a team which started strong and 'maintained' their record.

The terrible, lousey, cheating, no account, sloppy Giants have that now.

They are going to give the Patriots a hard time.

But Sunday's game against the Ravens helped the Patriots more than the previous game against the Broncos. They had ot work for it, and know they can't just walk on the field and win before the coin toss.

We could have that rare competitive, fight to the last play Super Bowl!!!

PHLBOS

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Ironic that the Colts pretty much strongarmed the NFL into giving them a Super Bowl in their building so that they could have Manning playing in a Super Bowl in their own building. They'll get their wish...just with a different Manning.

I guess the Giants didn't want to wait another 2 years for Super Bowl XLVIII to be played on their home turf. 

Looks like Super Bowl XLVI is essentially a rematch of Super Bowl XLII.

Should be a good game.

Go Patriots! (Sorry, Mir).
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

n229nw

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 am

Oh yeah! Time to right what went wrong last time these teams met in a superbowl.

That said, though I really want the Pats to win, you've got to have serious respect for the way in which the Giants have been pulling themselves together and playing. The seem to come up trumps when the pressure is on and it really matters.

Yeah, I felt really bad for Cundiff, the Ravens' kicker. I also felt really bad for Kyle Williams whose two[!] decisive fumbles in the Giants/Niners game really ended up coming home to roost. But I like both game results in any case...

Well, as a Pats fan, I'm kind of happy to get a rematch against the Giants....but at the same time, Eli Manning makes me nervous. He and the Giants are riding a hot streak right now.

And the Pats defense is not confidence-inducing...

Quoting Revelation (Reply 6):
Julian freaking Edelman, Matthew freaking Slater, Chad freaking Ochocinco and Deon freaking Branch

Who knew they all had the same middle name? Did they look for that specifically in the draft?   
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Revelation

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 11):
Who knew they all had the same middle name? Did they look for that specifically in the draft?

No freaking way! 

LGWflyer

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 am

Pats are going down!   
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

flanker
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:50 am

I dunno guys, this can go either way. I don't have confidence in either teams at this point.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:18 am

From the NY City area and living only 3 miles from Met Life Stadium, obviously I am supporting the GIANTS!!!

Both teams have serious flaws and strengths. The question is which team's flaws and strengths will have the advantage to win. Both have good coaching although I respect Couglin more than Beli-cheat. Both have great QB's and TE's/WR's. Both have issues at RB. Patriots have a better O-line, much better than the Giants. Giant's D is overall better, especially as to passing defense but Belichick is a Defensive master, excellent at making adjustments (as they did with the Ravens). I hope for an entertaining game, close to the end, probably not big on scoring and most likely some less heralded player making the difference for the winner.

4holer

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:40 am

Since I live west of the Delaware River, I am completely disinterested in this Super Bowl. I'm so bored by this matchup, that this football nut will probably watch Storage Wars or something. And I'm actually serious.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

dlramp4life

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 am

I am a Pats fan but I am worried, it is 2008 all over again

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 am

You really can't feel great going to the SB with wideouts like Julian freaking Edelman, Matthew freaking Slater, Chad freaking Ochocinco and Deon freaking Branch. Welker is great, but he's a slot receiver. There's no deep threat. It's not for lack of trying. The Pats have drafted wideouts fairly high, but no luck there.

Ochocinco wasn't playing against the Ravens, though I doubt it would have mattered much. Branch CAN be a deep threat (Brady had a long pass to him against the Broncos, though really it was a perfect throw by Brady rather than anything Branch did). But honestly, I'm pretty happy with the Pats' short-throw game - our yards-after-catch are second to none. I actually hate it when I see Brady let one fly deep. But I hear ya.

You could see the Ravens didn't bother respecting the Pats deep game and it didn't cost them a thing. In fact the INT in the end zone was because they had no fear of Slater making a play.

Eh. that interception was simply a bad idea on Brady's part. Slater had little chance.

The Pats DBs let up big plays to the Raven's relatively average wideouts. They will really struggle with Manningham, Nix and Cruz.

Well, the Pats did have the 2nd-worst pass defense in the league this year. They did step it up in the last few games, but a good offense can give them issues, as the Ravens did.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 10):
Go Patriots! (Sorry, Mir).

I can find no other explanation for you apologizing to a Yankees fan, so I shall assume you simply lost your mind for a minute there.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 11):

Didn't you know? Everyone from Boston has "freaking" as their middle name!

Starbuk7

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 pm

It would be really nice if both teams could lose!!

But, if I have to root for someone I guess it would be the Pats. I really do not want Brady to get a fourth ring and match Bradshaw who is the only Quarterback with 4 rings, but on the other hand I really do now want Eli to get another ring, mostly because of his arrogant father Archie, who says Eli is not going to play for San Diego and that Indianapolis should not draft Andrew Luck because it would be bad for Payton.

Both of his son's have rings and he does not, he needs to get out of their lives.

Revelation

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 13):
Pats are going down!

If my wife were Gisele Bündchen, I'd be doing so gladly!

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 15):
Beli-cheat

C'mon, don't you have anything better than that?

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 15):
Both have great QB's and TE's/WR's

The Pats are of the 'dink and doink' variety, whereas the Giants are the kind that can stretch the field and expose a weak backfield and produce the big play.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 18):
Branch CAN be a deep threat (Brady had a long pass to him against the Broncos, though really it was a perfect throw by Brady rather than anything Branch did).

Right, but Branch by himself doesn't draw double coverage and doesn't have the speed to stretch the field. He's out there because he's reliable, not because he's particularly fast, strong or tall. He'll burn the opposition if they make mistakes, but he himself isn't going to force the other team to make mistakes at this stage of his career.

People who don't follow the Pats closely don't realize how many draft picks the Pats burned before they got lucky with Hernandez and Gronkowski at TE. Belichick saw how effective Mark Bavaro was during the Giants of the 80s times, and he saw the tail end of Ben Coates's career in NE, and has tried drafting (Ben Watson, Daniel Graham both drafted in the 1st round, et al) and free agents (Christian Fouria et al) and has not been able to get what he wanted till now. The fact they drafted both in the same year shows they were still trying hard to get a fit.

They've also spent many draft picks on WRs (Bethel Johnson,Tiquan Price, et al) and have not drafted anyone decent since Branch, and now he's past his prime.

That's not a knock on their drafting, which is a function of what you need, where you draft, who is in the draft, and pure luck. It is just to point out they know they have had issues in the past at TE (now solved for a while) and WR (still not solved). The fact they gambled on Randy Moss with all his character issues shows that they were willing to go pretty far to get some WR talent. It's still a testament that they were able to coach him up and get a few good seasons out of him before he reverted to form.

My opinion about the game still is as above: The Giants present match-up problems that will be difficult for NE to deal with, especially with NYG's WRs and NEP's DBs. I have no idea why the Pats are three point favorites, other than pure name recognition. In my heart I am pulling for the Pats but my head keeps saying the Giants have the better all-around team and are playing well at this time of the year and should be favored.

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
The Giants present match-up problems that will be difficult for NE to deal with, especially with NYG's WRs and NEP's DBs.

Absolutely, and that's what scares me the most.

I have no idea why the Pats are three point favorites, other than pure name recognition.

It's probably down to that they're pretty even (in my opinion), but Brady has a knack for pulling off clutch wins.

With that said, the last Pats-Giants Super Bowl didn't exactly end that way....

Revelation

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 21):
With that said, the last Pats-Giants Super Bowl didn't exactly end that way....

Like Brady, I just can't watch those highlights.

Hopefully he's learned something from it, like finish the game strong and don't let the opponents get a chance for a clutch win, if at all possible...

The Giants drive to tie the game last week in SF also brought back some bad flashbacks.

No doubt they too can pull out clutch wins too.

And our fourth quarter against the Ravens was far from inspiring.

But we shall see what happens a week from Sunday.

Alias1024

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I honestly don't care all that much, and probably won't watch the game. I'd have watched the Niners and Ravens, but this matchup does nothing for me. I'm sick and tired of the Patriots and their annoying fans, and I don't think the Giants are really all that good a team. I wish I wouldn't have to hear about it for next two weeks.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

LGWflyer

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 pm

If my wife were Gisele Bündchen, I'd be doing so gladly!

Haha!  

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 22):
Like Brady, I just can't watch those highlights.

Hopefully he's learned something from it, like finish the game strong and don't let the opponents get a chance for a clutch win, if at all possible...

Yeah. Even Brady said that he sucked after the Ravens game. I wouldn't phrase it quite that strongly, but he certainly wasn't quite up to par.

PHLBOS

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 18):
I can find no other explanation for you apologizing to a Yankees fan, so I shall assume you simply lost your mind for a minute there.

Oh, I'm sorry; I guess civility is only for the *ahem* political *ahem* threads. 
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

zippyjet

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:48 am

Congratulations to the Patriots and Giants. I wish we (Ravens) could have beat New England. At least this go around we were competitive to the bitter end. For the Pats, this is basically them completing their journey. (blowing the Superbowl after their undefeated season). If Lady Brady was not injured chances are they would have done it the following season. I hope for a dramatic high scoring but nail biter till the end.

Memo to NFL: It's time to have full time younger athletic referees. The old coots who have trouble keeping up with the players and working part time is so 1950's. Amazing how the lawyers and bean counters have infiltrated football but the referees are still a throwback to the early days of Johnny U and Y.A. Tittle!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

flanker
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

SUPERBOWL FRIDAY WOOHOOO!!!!!!! Let the trashtalking begin!!!!

skysurfer

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:25 pm

What a weekend! I've booked a long weekend (first in many many many months) and Sunday is gonna be awesome! Sunday morning is Manchester Utd vs Chelsea, so it's off to the pub for a cheap brekkie and a pint or two to watch the game, then home to watch the Pats come through!

Oh, and did I forget to mention the GF is off to the Bahama's on Saturday, leaving the tv remote behind! Haha

Who said Canadian winters were long!

Cheers

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

rfields5421

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:50 pm

This thing isn't over yet?

All the hype and coverage - are they really going to play a game? We've already seen most of the commercials.

DocLightning

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 am

Meh.

It's not like any important teams are playing anyway.

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flanker
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:33 pm

Tied for first in my pool....GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT........

This game will decide the season...

747400sp

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 am

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! THE GIANT WIN! THAT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT NY! I guess a BIG APPLE beat a bowl of bake beans!            

First Pass Game Post    

DeltaMD90

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 am

Yay the Patriots didn't win!   

Asturias

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 34):

True, and yet I'm ambivalent - on one hand it's always neat when Brady and co strike out, but on the other hand I'm not fan of Eli and co.

Congrats on winning Giants and Giants fans. It was a well deserved victory, all in all, but the game was a grinder and scored pretty low on the entertainment scale.

asturias
Tonight we fly

crj900lr

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:48 am

The Giants win!!!!!.......Eli ManningMVP!!!!!!!!

[Edited 2012-02-05 20:32:21]

DeltaMD90

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:50 am

I guess I have nothing really against the Patriots, it was just when they first started to do well, years ago, that EVERYONE became a Patriots/Tom Brady fan. You can't just wait until a team starts winning and jump on that band wagon, choose a team you love and stick with them! I love the Buffalo Bills despite how not well they play most of the time (and I was too young to see them at the Super Bowl and remember.)

So the obnoxious Patriots fans (not saying all, but a lot that I've seen) and Tom Brady just ruined it for me. I don't really care about Eli Manning that much, so Giants it was!

It was a good game, both teams played pretty well (until the end, the Patriots were really blowing it)

flanker
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:06 am

I BELIEVE IN YOU ELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

KaiGywer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 am

Best touchdown ever  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

DeltaMD90

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 39):
Best touchdown ever  

Hahahaha yeah, I was like wtf???

LGWflyer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:50 am

Congrats to the Giants, and hope for the Jets to win next year!  

Anyway good try Pats...   

Geezer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 am

I cheated ! I waited til it's all over ! The New York Giants, winners of of the Super Bowl !

As a Giant's fan, I really got a kick out of all the close-ups of Brady on the bench when the Giants had the ball; pretty much says it all.........the Patriots have an anti-social coach, and a cry-baby quarterback; I can't wait to see pictures of Peyton and Eli together, showing off their rings !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Mir

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 am

Spent the whole day at the FBO in IND, so couldn't post until now, but:

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 34):

My thoughts exactly. To paraphrase Jon Stewart, this isn't about the fact that New York is better than Boston, it's about the people - it's about the people of New York being better than the people of Boston.   

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 41):
hope for the Jets to win next year!

Your lips to God's ears....   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DocLightning

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 41):
Congrats to the Giants, and hope for the Jets to win next year!

If by "Jets" you mean "Niners," then I agree.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 am

Ah well, although I'm a Pats fan, my hatred for Eli Manning was actually reduced considerably today.

He and his team won....and they deserved to win. Well done to them.

Maybe the Pats will finally take this as a sign that defense really does win Super Bowls.....

jcs17

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 am

Hell yeah! I planned a vacation day on Monday so I could celebrate appropriately tonight, and I certainly plan on taking a long lunch on Tuesday to make it down to the Canyon of Heroes. My first ticker-tape parade, I cannot wait. It was an absolutely amazing win. The Patriots neutralized Victor Cruz, but they forgot about Mario Manningham who has been somewhat of an afterthought this entire season. Eli Manning joins the ranks of Troy Aikman and Joe Montana, and makes his brother somewhat of an afterthought -- something inconcievable going into the 2011 season.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:03 am

Ha, so someone (probably someone at work on Friday) decided to write "Boston Sucks" on my rear windshield.

Unfortunately for them, they actually wrote "Boston Susks"....

flanker
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:20 pm

The only way Aron Rodgers can get to the superbowl is by being a commentator....AHHAAHHAHAHHAHHHAHAHA

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 48):
The only way Aron Rodgers can get to the superbowl is by being a commentator....AHHAAHHAHAHHAHHHAHAHA

You know he won the Super Bowl last year, right?