Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CplKlinger
Topic Author

Forms Asking About Gun Ownership

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm getting ready to make my daughter's yearly appointment with the pediatrician, and on one of the forms you fill out each visit, I remember it asking "Do you have any guns in the house?" I never thought about it much before, but now being a gun owner, it strikes me as odd. I kind of understand why they want to know, but I don't want a lecture about how "dangerous" guns are or to be scolded by someone for having one. My gun (H&R Break Action .44 rifle) is kept locked in a cabinet, unloaded, trigger locked with all ammo stored in a separate, locked container. All of the locks are keyed differently and the keys are unmarked: only myself and my wife know which keys go to what. If my daughter could figure all that out, then I've got bigger problems. I just don't feel comfortable telling a complete stranger I have a gun in the house. I've even been teaching my daughter that she is to tell no one other than her grandparents, police officers (only if asked) and firemen (if there's a fire) that we have them, not even her friends in school or their parents. My wife and I plan to handle her friends parents ourselves by informing them and inviting them to see for themselves how they are kept. So, would you tell a pediatrician that? Your kids school? For myself, I don't think I want to and don't really plan to, because I don't think it's much of their business.

redflyer

RE: Forms Asking About Gun Ownership

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Thread starter):
So, would you tell a pediatrician that? Your kids school?

Unless they ask about other potential hazards in the house - and there are far more in homes than just guns - then it's obvious the question was mandated on the form by someone who is pushing a political agenda. I wouldn't answer the question. It's no one's business how many guns you have, or even if you have one.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

mham001

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 1):
Unless they ask about other potential hazards in the house - and there are far more in homes than just guns - then it's obvious the question was mandated on the form by someone who is pushing a political agenda. I wouldn't answer the question. It's no one's business how many guns you have, or even if you have one.

They do ask many questions about the home. I don't remember what all, but I just went down the list and gave the "correct" answers.

Every time my wife goes to a doctor, they ask her if I beat her. Even in front of me. We are both getting tired of that one.

canoecarrier

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I agree that its none of their business if I own any guns or how many. However, I would be less inclined to have a problem with it if during a regular exam the pediatrician makes a general statement about mitigating hazards in the house and if I own a gun(s) to make sure they are locked away where my son can't get to them. I understand the medical reason to have the discussion, but I don't agree with the specificity of the question.

My main problem is that I'm being specifically asked to disclose my gun ownership, which I only would do if I had a concealed carry permit and was interacting with a police officer during a traffic stop or in a legally required environment (e.g., airport). There are all sorts of things in a house that a kid could get hurt from like kitchen knives, household chemicals, electrical outlets, cars and camp stove fuel. Why doesn't the doctor just generally discuss household hazards to children and give the parents a pamphlet?

Florida passed a law last year prohibiting doctors from asking patients if they own a gun, although I think that law got blocked by a judge. Calling DocLightning.....
The beatings will continue until morale improves

CplKlinger
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Unless they ask about other potential hazards in the house - and there are far more in homes than just guns - then it's obvious the question was mandated on the form by someone who is pushing a political agenda.

The only other questions were if they wore a bike helmet when riding a bike, if we smoked and if they were riding in a booster seat when required. Nothing else about other household hazards. They'd really flip later in the spring after she gets her .22 rifle of her very own.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 2):
Every time my wife goes to a doctor, they ask her if I beat her. Even in front of me. We are both getting tired of that one.

If I was with my wife and got asked that repeatedly by a doctor, I'd be darn well tempted to be sarcastic and answer "Yesseree, every day!" just to see the reaction. Too bad no one can take a joke anymore.

Dreadnought

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 4):
If I was with my wife and got asked that repeatedly by a doctor, I'd be darn well tempted to be sarcastic and answer "Yesseree, every day!" just to see the reaction. Too bad no one can take a joke anymore.

LOL, you'd be in jail within the hour, and your wife's claims that it was all a joke would be classified that she's in denial, and the more she complains, she will be judged to have "disconnected with reality" and sent to the funny farm.

So you in jail, and her in a padded room, for a joke. We're all doomed.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

Mir

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 3):
Why doesn't the doctor just generally discuss household hazards to children and give the parents a pamphlet?

Because gun accidents involving children continue to happen, and many of them involve guns that aren't properly stored. I'd look at it this way - the doctor, unless you've been seeing them for a while, doesn't know whether you're responsible with your guns or not, and thus from their point of view it makes sense to make sure that you know the principles of keeping your guns where children can't get at them. He may be preaching to the choir with you, but by talking to another parent about it he may be saving a child's life. The reason to ask the question is that there are many households that don't have guns, and it doesn't make sense to give a talk about gun safety when there's no gun in the house.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

L-188

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:25 am

Florida was pushing a bill to make the firearms ownership question illegal for doctors to ask. I don't think it passed yet but it would be a good thing.

There are some things that my doctor isn't going to be privledged to and that is one of them
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

sccutler

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:33 am

I find that all manner of people and entities ask all manner of questions, the answers to most of which are "Nunya." As in, "Nunya business."

Couple of weeks back, I was scheduled for day surgery (fix a hernia, what joy!), and directed to do an Internet "pre-check-in" the day before. Seven pages, dense-packed, of questions, all of which were either (1) duplicative of information the surgeon had gotten when he first consulted regarding the procedure; or (2) utterly and completely irrelevant. What in God's holy name they wanted with all that information I do not know, but my policy is to withhold voluntary disclosure of information not immediately required (in my discretion, not theirs) by the inquiring entity.

The scope of data sought in the last census (I got the long form) was broad; what they got? Name, number of people in the household and... oh yeah, that was it. Whole lotta "N/A."

My point is, lots of people want you to dish all kinds of information to them; if you give it to them, you're a volunteer, not a victim. Just say no.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Pyrex

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 8):
What in God's holy name they wanted with all that information I do not know, but my policy is to withhold voluntary disclosure of information not immediately required (in my discretion, not theirs) by the inquiring entity.

Same precise reason I did not fill the census (last year?). I opened it and noticed it was just a bunch of questions about race, ethnicity, national background, etc. Rubbish bin it is, then.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Maverick623

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 am

Quoting CplKlinger (Thread starter):
but I don't want a lecture about how "dangerous" guns are or to be scolded by someone for having one.

Simple: if your doctor does that, find a new one.

I still wouldn't put it on the form, but if he/she asked you face to face, and explained that it was just to keep the little one safe, I wouldn't consider it a big deal.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

dl021

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm

My question is what are they doing with those questionnaires? Are they being sent to some government agency compiling data for use in some statistical analysis? Are those records being kept in anticipation of something else?

Asking such questions is politically motivated. I don't believe that they ask whether you have a swimming pool, access to swimming pools, or whether your child wears their seatbelt on the schoolbus......
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

canoecarrier

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
The reason to ask the question is that there are many households that don't have guns, and it doesn't make sense to give a talk about gun safety when there's no gun in the house.

Out of curiosity I looked into the statistics from the National Safety Council to see just what the numbers were. The number they quote from 2007 is 3,067 people aged 0-19 died in the home as a result of firearms. Viewed by age group, 85 of the total firearms-related deaths were of children under 5-years-old, 313 were children 5-14 years old, and 2,669 were teens and young adults 15-19 years old. Well over half that number was due to homicide.

So, children 14 and under that's not even in the top 10 reasons for accidental death of children. I'm not saying its not important to have a conversation on the topic as part of a discussion about causes of accidental death, but I don't like the specificity of the question.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 10):

I still wouldn't put it on the form, but if he/she asked you face to face, and explained that it was just to keep the little one safe, I wouldn't consider it a big deal.

Which is how I feel as well, depending on how the question was asked. A doctor can tell me all he wants that his medical files are confidential but not everyone disposes of records properly.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

CplKlinger
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
and it doesn't make sense to give a talk about gun safety when there's no gun in the house.

I think that the opposite should be true. I had always intended to teach any kid I had about guns, what they could do to people and what to do if/when they happened upon one. Everyone should be taught about gun safety, no matter what. It just so happens that my daughter will get a much more in depth experience with it since she will have one of her own that she can use under my supervision. And I've already got a demonstration planned for the first time we go to the range together to show her how dangerous a gun can be. Nothing like a watermelon getting hit by a .44 hyrdra-shock round to demonstrate the damage a gun can do.

Tugger

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 10):
Asking such questions is politically motivated. I don't believe that they ask whether you have a swimming pool, access to swimming pools,

Actually they do. I have been asked on forms if I have a pool, if my child can swim, and if so for haw many years and what my opinion was of my child's skill in swimming.

Regarding the reason for asking and collecting the information regarding gun ownership, some here have indicated it is for some nefarious "government reason". However it is more likely required/requested by the insurance companies so that they can factor such things into future rates. Risk management requires data and that data is acquired via many channels including doctors questionnaires.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey