FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Longest Running US Public Works Project?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 am

Pretty weird but I'm in Tokyo at the moment and was speaking with some locals and the subject of PW projects came up. The Panama Canal was thrown in then I began to thing. What's the longest running PW project in the US? Time frame from start to finish (can include planning stages too).

I know in Atlanta, they've been working on the water system for close to 40 years now if not more. Also, that tunnel project in BOS has to be up there along with other projects in NYC.
What gets measured gets done.

Superfly

RE: Longest Running US Public Works Project?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:34 am

Chicago expressways near O'hare are always under construction. It's been that way as far as I can remember and that would be the mid 1970s.
Bring back the Concorde

ltbewr

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32 am

The water tunnel project #3 in NYC, needed to replace a now over 100 year old system that leaks millions of gallons of water a day and obsolete, that brings water from reservoirs over 60 miles away and to different parts of the city has been a continuous project for over 40 years and won't be done until at least 2020. Parts of it are 100's of feet down in bedrock and could be considered the longest running public works project. Even during recessions and good economies, it has kept going.
Here is a link to some more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Water_Tunnel_No._3

ALTF4

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:39 pm

U.S. Interstate System.

Filler filler filler
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

seb146

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Dams? Wasn't Hoover Dam built in the 1930s and is still being maintaned and upgraded?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Flighty

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Hoover dam was built amazingly fast all things considered. I think there is a nuke plant in Bulgaria they have been building since 1985. Not a record holder, just funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belene_Nuclear_Power_Plant

rfields5421

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Does a public works project every end?

Even after it is built, maintenance and improvements need to continue.

The US Army Corps of Engineers has been working on the Mississippi River Navigation Project since 1829 - and continues today.

Work on the Ohio River began in 1825.

[Edited 2012-01-27 08:18:01]

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 6):

True they always continue and mtc is a must. But I guess I meant "initial" completion barring mtc and additions.

Pyrex

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:12 am

If you adjusted for outcome I would say the construction they were doing in my street. Over a year blocking the street and I still can't figure out what exactly they did to it - not too surprising considering they seemed to be on break every time I walked by. That's NYC construction crews for you...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

zanl188

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:40 am

The National Cathedral in Washington DC started construction in 1907 and was completed in 1990.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:53 am

Quoting zanl188 (Reply 9):
The National Cathedral in Washington DC started construction in 1907 and was completed in 1990.

WOW. Had no idea; so that has to be up there..

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
If you adjusted for outcome I would say the construction they were doing in my street. Over a year blocking the street and I still can't figure out what exactly they did to it - not too surprising considering they seemed to be on break every time I walked by. That's NYC construction crews for you...

That's funny that you say that. There's a bridge near where I use to live in Orlando as a kid we would all call the bridge to nowhere. They shut down a section of street about 4 blocks from my house near a HUGE intersection and had traffic rerouted for nearly 3 years to complete it. After it was all said and done, all that remains is a small concrete bridge over what use to be a reservoir spring sprint that is now dry and knee high weeds. Was never used..what a waste....

57AZ

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 5):

Hoover dam was built amazingly fast all things considered. I think there is a nuke plant in Bulgaria they have been building since 1985. Not a record holder, just funny.

The Tennessee Valley Authority has Bellefonte Nuclear Generating Station down in Alabama, which was under construction in the 1970s but has not been completed to date.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

zippyjet

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Thread starter):
I know in Atlanta, they've been working on the water system for close to 40 years now if not more. Also, that tunnel project in BOS has to be up there along with other projects in NYC.

How about the Golden Gate Bridge in SFO? When they finish painting the entire thing, it's time to start over from the beginning and re-paint?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!