Airport
Topic Author

New York City On May 20th, 1999 In High Definition

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 am

I found this video on another forum today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqmz...f8m0oTw&index=2&feature=plpp_video

From the video description:
Quote:
WBNS television was testing 'high definition' video cameras back in 1998 and 1999. On May 20th, 1999, the station sent several employees to New York City to shoot HD video of the city.

The video includes HD shots of The World Trade Center, Times Square, The Statue of Liberty, and much more as it was back in 1999.

The video has sat in WBNS' large archives until now. This video is dedicated to the people of New York and their history.

I guess I'm someone who is extremely nostalgic for the 1990s, for a huge variety of reasons. To me, the world just felt so much brighter and more optimistic pre-9/11. Of course, back then I didn't fully appreciate it, because never would I have believed that it all could change so fast. You really don't know what you have until it's gone.

I thought it was a video worth sharing.  

LGWflyer

RE: New York City On May 20th, 1999 In High Definition

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 am

Wow that was beautiful!!! That looked like it was shot yesterday rather than 13 years ago, it's also unique to see the WTC in HD in all it's magical glory. I love NYC and I wish I back there again!  
Quoting Airport (Thread starter):
I thought it was a video worth sharing.

Yes well worth a share, thanks Airport!  
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

Maverick623

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Quoting Airport (Thread starter):
To me, the world just felt so much brighter and more optimistic pre-9/11.

Because you were still young. Remember, all the planning for that started in the 90s. The WTC was bombed in the 90s. Tim McVeigh operated in the 90s.

As you said, you had not had the opportunity to develop enough to fully appreciate (in the literal sense) the world around you.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

jwhite9185

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 pm

It was around that time i was last in NYC. Hoping to get back this year though.
@mytripreport

zippyjet

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 2):
Because you were still young. Remember, all the planning for that started in the 90s. The WTC was bombed in the 90s. Tim McVeigh operated in the 90s.

Generally in retrospect the 1990's were pretty good minus the above noted tragedies. Also, the 1990's has some of the most annyoing hated songs of all time:
  • The Macarena 1996
  • Chumbawamba "I Can't Stand or Get Up" 1997
  • Mambo # 5 1999
  • I'm a Barbie Girl -Early 1990's
  • Who Let the Dog's Out 1998/1999

But, the 2000's were featured on a memorable Time Magazine Cover The Decade From Hell with a pissed off bambino with a party hat on the cover. Also this decade was the decade of the debacle of the second mentally challenged President of the USA George W. Bush.   

Haven't seen the video but I bet it looks great. Once you see High Def you become spoiled.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

jcs17

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 am

The difference between the early 90s and the late 90s in NYC is absolutely amazing. I still remember in 1990 or so taking a graffiti-covered subway between Grand Central and 51st Street with my Dad as a seven year old. We moved to Atlanta from Connecticut in 1996. I remember watching the coverage of AF4590 from the restaurant at the Renaissance Times Square in 2000. What a world of difference. A hotel in Times Square that didn't have an hourly rate? Impossible. Thank God for Giuliani. Life long Manhattan residents remember the good ol' days. Yep, nothing was better than seeing that the Japanese restaurant next door to my cousin's on the UES apartment was covered in police tape when we went to Thanksgiving Day parade in 1991 or 1992. Yuck.

I love this city.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Maverick623

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 4):

Generally in retrospect the 1990's were pretty good minus the above noted tragedies.

I could list a whole slew of crud that went wrong in the 90s, but that would be counterproductive.

I think the reason the 90s seem so nice is because the 00s were so incredibly horrible for us. 2 seemingly endless wars (one of which should never have happened), economic turmoil, and the explosion of the internet that allowed us to finally have unfettered access to more information that we wanted.

Then again, my own views could be jaded by this past decade. I simply can't get my head around the idea that a decade as horrible as the 00s could be preceded by one that was merely 'pretty good'.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

sayem55

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:38 pm

I thought I was the only 90s fan !!!
After reading all this, I feel that , generally, 90s were better.
StarFighter