Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Superfly

RE: Whitney Houston Dies At Age Of 48

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 48):
What has happened to men lately? There's this new snarky "cattiness" in men that is so off-putitng and totally anti-masculine.

Real men don't make those kinds of statements. There have always been cowards but today they can express their lack of class from behind a computer.

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 49):
Why would it take two months for a toxicology report.

One news article is stating that the prescription drug Xanax was in her hotel room. Not sure if that could have contributed nor am I aware of it's affect when mixed with alcohol.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm

There's this new snarky "cattiness" in men that is so off-putitng and totally anti-masculine. I'm just trying to picture my father or grandfather saying something like that about a woman and I just can't get a visual.

In this day and age all men and women are supposed to be treated as equal, isn't that what feminist movement was all about, equal treatment between the sex's? Being a female shouldn't make her any less prone to critism than if she was male.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 50):
There have always been cowards but today they can express their lack of class from behind a computer.

It's got nothing to do with being a coward, if I was afraid to express my views publicly then you might have a point, but I'm not.

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 49):
Why would it take two months for a toxicology report.

It's real life not a TV program, she'll have to wait her turn, after all the other dead folks have had their toxicology reports done. She's not a big enough celebrity to cue jump.

luckyone

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Really guys? What has happened to men lately? How can you speak publicly that way about a WOMAN who's just died?

What about her being a woman makes this situation special? I would argue that being a woman doesn't elevate Whitney above reality, nor does it make her an angelic victim, and a real man would know that. One can have all the respect in the world for Whitney Houston as a talented singer, but none of that changes the reality that she did have problems that she mostly imposed upon herself for which many of us have difficulty conjuring up feelings of sympathy and phony respect.

One news article is stating that the prescription drug Xanax was in her hotel room. Not sure if that could have contributed nor am I aware of it's affect when mixed with alcohol.

Alcohol and benzodiazepines have synergistic effects. A benzo alone is very difficult to overdose on, but when mixed with alcohol they can be deadly. Most doctors prescribing a benzo will usually recommend that the user use alcohol sparingly.

luckyone

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:05 pm

I should add that a lot of recovering cocaine addicts are prescribed an anti-anxiety medication. That might explain why she was prescribed Xanax/alprazolam.

Venus6971

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I wonder sometimes with celebrities like this with substance abuse problems if the problem of her getting clean is the type of people around her. For example a family member who tries to save her from herself but is blocked off by people in her employment who let here be self destructive as long as the checks are being signed. At the height of her career she was probably in full Diva mode where every whim was met with no questions asked no matter how self destructive.
If I was insuring at tour or concert with a star who was known to fall off the wagon I would insist on a body man who could not hired or fired by the star to keep them healthy as a condition of underighting a tour.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

redflyer

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 54):
I wonder sometimes with celebrities like this with substance abuse problems if the problem of her getting clean is the type of people around her. For example a family member who tries to save her from herself but is blocked off by people in her employment who let here be self destructive as long as the checks are being signed.

That's precisely what happened with Michael Jackson. Family members were aware of his destructive addictions to powerful meds, but he ended up dead because his very own personal physician's greed knew no boundaries.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Silver1SWA

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 54):
I wonder sometimes with celebrities like this with substance abuse problems if the problem of her getting clean is the type of people around her. For example a family member who tries to save her from herself but is blocked off by people in her employment who let here be self destructive as long as the checks are being signed.

This is exactly what happens.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BEG2IAH

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 pm

It's amazing how she went from stars back to drugs and addiction, but now she's back up there. RIP, Whitney.

BEG2IAH
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

AR385

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:07 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 52):
Alcohol and benzodiazepines have synergistic effects. A benzo alone is very difficult to overdose on, but when mixed with alcohol they can be deadly. Most doctors prescribing a benzo will usually recommend that the user use alcohol sparingly.

Alprazolam is one of the milder benzos out there. I agree with what you say, that mixing them with alcohol is not a good idea, but still you will need a lot of both to kill yourself. And I mean a lot. Your stomach would probably "send them back" before they kill you. Alprazolam is not Rohypnol. Painkillers are much more dangerous. One, whose name I won´t say, only takes about 15 pills and some couple shots of 80 proof ethanol for you to be on your way.

The coroner found no edema, nor enough water in her lungs for it to be considered a drowning. She had been partying hard the whole week before, and that day she was behaving erratically. Cocaine induced psychosis?

My opinion? A heart attack. It just gave out. Years of coke, plus her smoking and the hard partying finally passed her the receipt.

She might have relapsed though and done some lines somewhere else in the Hotel. The fact they did not found any in her room does not mean she didn´t do it. It just means she was careful. Everytime you do cocaine you are playing Russian roulette, wether it´s your first time or you´ve been at it for years.

ltbewr

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 am

Per an article in the UK's Sun tabloid and some other sources, police have revealed some prescription drugs were found in her hotel room, but not a large amount. The article also notes that police are checking out the doctors who prescribed these drugs, as well as any other doctors involved in treating her recently to see if they may have over prescribed or if Whitney had 'doctor shopped'. Various media reports using police disclosures that there seems to be no signs of 'foul play' no any obvious trauma. That means the toxicology reports will be key and that will take 4 to 6 weeks.

A news article I read today noted that Ms. Houston's body is being flown on Monday, to arrive on Monday night (maybe by the time of this post) to Teterboro (TEB), NJ airport. Some articles noted that plans are being made to have her body 'lie in state' and a funeral service to be held at the Prudential Center in Newark, the city of her childhood later this week.

kevi747

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am

Real men don't make those kinds of statements. There have always been cowards but today they can express their lack of class from behind a computer.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the anonymity the internet provides brings out the worst in many people.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 51):
In this day and age all men and women are supposed to be treated as equal, isn't that what feminist movement was all about, equal treatment between the sex's?

Well then screw the feminist movement: she was a woman, and you shouldn't speak ill of her. Sorry if that wasn't instilled in you as you were brought up. She's paid her price for her mistakes, show a little respect.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 51):
Being a female shouldn't make her any less prone to critism than if she was male.

OK well, let's make this simpler, maybe you should speak of ANYONE who's just died like this:

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 29):
No great loss
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 29):
but at the end of the day this is just another dead junkie.

She made a lot of personal mistakes, but she wasn't Hitler.    Sorry, but I think I'm a little overly sensitive to this subject because 3 weeks ago I had to fly across the country to be with my cousin as he buried his 19 y/o son who died of a drug overdose. He was, by all accounts, a good kid, who made some bad mistakes. And, just like Whitney Houston, his life ended because of those mistakes. I was SO nervous that people would make these kinds of self-satisfied judgments about my cousin's son. Fortunately, everyone chose to take the high road.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 52):
I would argue that being a woman doesn't elevate Whitney above reality, nor does it make her an angelic victim, and a real man would know that.

Wow. Nice to see chivalry isn't dead.   

Anyway, RIP Ms. Houston. (I'm listening to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody")  
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

luckyone

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 60):
She made a lot of personal mistakes, but she wasn't Hitler.

Actually, they're both dead drug addicts...bad example.

Sorry, but I think I'm a little overly sensitive

Then perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to pass the judgment you claim is offensive to you when people are simply being honest. I am, however, sorry that your family has had to endure that.

she was a woman, and you shouldn't speak ill of her. Sorry if that wasn't instilled in you as you were brought up.

Being a woman does not vault a person above reproach. A lot of women I know would find that mindset naive at best and incredibly offensive and condescending. I was taught to respect women (and men for that matter) who treated themselves with respect--which was not Whitney Houston, talented though she was. Why respect somebody's behavior when they obviously don't even respect themselves? I understand addiction is a disease, but one must first make the choice to snort or smoke the cocaine or shoot the heroin. One is not an addict when they choose to do so--and to clarify I'm not including prescription drug addicts because in many cases that is a different story. In this day and age in this country one need live under a rock not to know about drugs.

I don't think any of us is HAPPY to see another human being die, and I myself love most of her music. That being said, I don't have much sympathy for the actions of somebody with a proclivity for knowingly poisoning herself to death and do not have a problem saying so publicly what I think about her and what a waste she made of her God-given talent. I do, however, have a great deal of sympathy for her poor daughter who was born into that situation, and now has to publicly deal with the loss of her very (in)famous mother.

[Edited 2012-02-14 19:36:14]

CONTACREW

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Its sad that she's no longer here. Watching one of those news shows last night, one of her former bodyguards stated that he would never let her take baths, but only showers, and would check on her every 7-10 minutes to make sure she's okay. Apparently this new entourage she had never really did that. She had some excellent music as well.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

kevi747

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:43 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 61):
Actually, they're both dead drug addicts...bad example.

Oh my dear God.   Seriously? Yes.....Whitney Houston and Adolf Hitler...one in the same. SO very similar in SO many ways. How can you even tell them apart?: 26 Grammy nominations with 6 wins VS. the extermination of 11,000,000 people. My bad.   

Quoting luckyone (Reply 61):
Then perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to pass the judgment you claim is offensive to you when people are simply being honest. I am, however, sorry that your family has had to endure that.

Thank you for being so "honest". And thank you for your sympathy. Perhaps you're right and I should just sit back and enjoy such inspired tributes to the deceased:

Quoting luckyone (Reply 37):
She was a hood rat who cleaned up very nicely.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

SESGDL

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:34 am

I've loved Whitney Houston since I was a little boy. My mother actually used to listen to Whitney songs when she was pregnant with me. Whitney was one of those few people who seemed to be blessed, so much to the extent that she didn't even seem real. Incredibly beautiful, incredibly talented, and unfortunately, incredibly troubled. I've never heard a voice like hers and no one's voice compare in its prime, in my opinion. It seems so often people who are so talented are also often troubled, there's a certain level of pain that usually accompanies artistic genius, which Whitney Houston undoubtedly had. Now that she's gone I just wanna be thankful that I was able to appreciate her incredible contributions to music, popular culture, and my life. Whatever else is irrelevant at this point. Hopefully she can rest in peace and her family can find solace in her amazing contributions.

Jeremy

Aleksandar

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting BEG2IAH (Reply 57):
It's amazing how she went from stars back to drugs and addiction, but now she's back up there. RIP, Whitney.

BEG2IAH

It is sad, but, even her last tour showed signs of things to come. She lost her most valuable asset: her voice. I suppose it was the moment when she realized that drugs and alcohol ruined her for good. One can easily see how she changed from the Oprah interview to the last European concerts. After that, returning to bad habits seemed almost inevitable.

It is such a pity. She was still too young to die.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

n229nw

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:20 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 65):
She lost her most valuable asset: her voice. I suppose it was the moment when she realized that drugs and alcohol ruined her for good.

Honestly, I think her voice suffered much more from the chain smoking than the other drugs. Sometimes recently she sounded as though she could barely breathe...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

727LOVER

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Well, that was a beautiful service...........LONG......but beautiful & moving.

RIP Whitney  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

SESGDL

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 67):
Well, that was a beautiful service...........LONG......but beautiful & moving.

It truly was. May she rest in peace.

Jeremy

747400sp

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:58 pm

The Bodyguard is one of my favorite movies, and I love so many song from that movie sound track. When I graduated from Elementary school in 1991, for our exit march, they play The Greatest Love of All, as they did at ever 6 grade graduation at my school.
I was looking forward to see Waiting To Exhale 2, ( yes I am a Strait man who like chick flick, so what) but it not going to be the same with out Whitney Houston. Whitney had such a good voice, and she will be missed.

MadameConcorde

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 69):
The Bodyguard is one of my favorite movies

I was passing through Washington Dulles airport on my way to JFK waiting for my flight in the United Club lounge while the lounge TV was showing a live cast on CNN with the lady's funeral in a church in New Jersey.

Considering her fame and talent it is so tragic that she wasted her life with whatever narcotic or other and that she had a negative outlook on life to the point of wanting to die.

She had the talent, the family (Dionne Warwick) to get her into the business and most of all she had a very nice voice.

Not many people know that the song that made Whitney Houston famous the world over, "I will always love you" was first created by Dolly Parton many Moons ago and written by her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbkCVXQSAIo

If I should stay
I would only be in your way
And so I'll go, but I know
I'll think of you each step of the way

Goodbye Whitney Houston.
May you always be singing in Heaven with the Angels.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 70):
the song that made Whitney Houston famous the world over, "I will always love you" was first created by Dolly Parton many Moons ago and written by her.

With all due respect to Whitney Houston, I think that is one of her worse songs ever and it's a shame that is the song she is most famous for.
Her first LP from 1985 was her best.
Bring back the Concorde

747400sp

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 70):
Not many people know that the song that made Whitney Houston famous the world over, "I will always love you" was first created by Dolly Parton many Moons ago and written by her.

Well if you put it that way, The Bodyguard was written in the 1970's for Steve McQueen and Diana Ross.

zippyjet

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 71):
Parton many Moons ago and written by her.

With all due respect to Whitney Houston, I think that is one of her worse songs ever and it's a shame that is the song she is most famous for.
Her first LP from 1985 was her best.

Not her best but my vote hands down for her crappiest song was I'm Every Woman! But to be fair I detested Chakka Kahn's version too. And for several seasons when Lady Oprah had it as the theme to her gabfest. We've really come down several pegs since the height of R&B which was the 1950's thru. 1970's.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

Superfly

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:41 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 73):
Not her best but my vote hands down for her crappiest song was I'm Every Woman! But to be fair I detested Chakka Kahn's version too.

Shame on you!  
I am a Chaka Khan fan and the original version by her is a great song! I recently found out that Whitney Houston sung on the original Chaka Khan version in 1978 at the age of 15.
The ONLY reason why Whitney Houston's version was more successful was because by 1992, music was already in the toilet and the remake of a late 1970s classic was refreshing to hear. In 1978, everything was good so the original Chaka Khan version didn't stand out as much.
Bring back the Concorde

747400sp

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 73):
Not her best but my vote hands down for her crappiest song was I'm Every Woman! But to be fair I detested Chakka Kahn's version too. And for several seasons when Lady Oprah had it as the theme to her gabfest. We've really come down several pegs since the height of R&B which was the 1950's thru. 1970's.

Hey!!!! That is one of my favorite songs by her.