Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

georgiabill
Topic Author

Spring Training Opens! Expectations For Your Team.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Spring training has started for most teams. What are your expectations for your team this year?

As fan of red sox and nationals I have mixed expectations. The sox hopefully can put last septembers colapse behind them. New manager and coaching staff a fresh start. Keys to the season Buchholz being healthy, Bard making the adjustment to starting rotation, Bailey and Melancon pitching well out of the bullpen and Carl Crawford having a better year.I believe the sox are probably the 6th best team in the American league and will need big years from everyone to reach the playoffs. At this moment I see them finishing third in the AL East behind the Yankees and Rays. Toronto could even finish ahead of them.

The Nationals on the other hand have me very optomistic. Alot of young talent. Starting pitching may be third behind Phillies and Giants in the NL. Drew Storen gives them a dependable closer. Ryan Zimmerman stays healthy, Morse proves last year wasn't a fluke I think this team is capable of finishing 2nd in the NL East behind the Phillies and perhaps a wildcard team.

Your team?

FingerLakerAv8r

RE: Spring Training Opens! Expectations For Your Team.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Without sounding Phanatical I belive it will be a good season. Phailure is not an option this year for many teams. Just Phocus on the task at hand and you will be successPhul.

Paplebon.

runner13

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm a Rangers fan, my expectation is to win it all this year. We essentially have the same team as last year with a couple of pitching changes for the better. Everyone is now healthy, Kinsler's ankle is better, Moreland's wrist is better, Adam's is healthy, we'll see how Nefti makes the transition to the rotation, and how YU handles the heat. Nathan should also bring up the 9th just fine. I think the starting lineup speaks for itself. It will still be the best in the majors. My predictions for the playoffs.
AL West - Rangers
AL Central - Tigers
AL East - Rays
AL Wild Card - Angels
Yes the Yankess, and Red Sox are no longer the power teams.

Not sure on the National league but I'll take a shot at it.
NL West - DBacks, or Giants
NL Central Cards
NL East, I see this being a bloodbath, the Nats are going to be a good young team, the Phillies will be the Phillies, The Marlins should be good, but we'll see how their team chemistry comes together, also the Braves are going to be good also.
I'm going to go with the Phillies winning the East and the Wild Card coming out of the East also.

GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

NWADC9

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:11 am

The Pirates and Royals will do what they do every year - look like they got their act together in the spring and fall apart by summer.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

kingairta

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:40 am

Rangers all the way to the world series or the season is a failure. All theyve done is improve in the off season. The offence is still there and the pitching rotation looks alot better then last year.

Starbuk7

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Yep, lets see if my Pirates can get that 20th losing season in a row mark. Since we have set the record lets make it an even number.

I really wish they would turn it around and have a good season all the way through. The last couple years they would start out good, get our hopes up, then fall apart and drop to the bottom of the division.

The San Diego Padres (since I live in San Diego now) are not doing much better, although they have made some moves this off season we will see. The fans out here are band-wagoners for the most part though, if the team is doing well, they will watch, if not, nothing.

texan

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:53 pm

The Rangers will be ranked #1 in the power ranking to open the season. The problem we have is that we don't have a true #1 starter that we know of--although Darvish, Dutch and Harrison could all be capable. But we do have 4-5 #2 starters, including those three plus Lewis and Ogando. Feliz we're not sure about, but he and Ogando can rotate in and out of the starting rotation as needed. And Feldman is a solid back of the rotation guy. Plus Martin Perez is close to being ready. So pitching depth is not an issue. And with both of the Maddux brothers on staff, our pitching coaches are at the top of the league, too.

Kinsler, Adrus, Hamilton, Beltre, Young, Napoli, Cruz for the first 7 in the order. Follow that up with some combination of Murphy/Moreland/Gentry/Martin and you've got a heck of a lineup. Plus some good bats off the bench. Can we stay healthy? Kins, Hamilton, Beltre and Cruz are all injury prone. It'll be interesting to see how we cope with injuries this year.

The Angels will make it interesting this year. Rangers/Angels should continue evolving into one of the best baseball rivalries out there. Who wants to face a pitching staff of Weaver, Haren, Wilson and Santana. CJ will slot in well as the third starter and gives the team a heck of a lefty/righty combo from the mound. Pujols obviously improves the offense. The question is who will hit around him? I'm high on Kendrick. He's a really good player who will put up solid number batting in front of Pujols. Trumbo probably hits cleanup. Hunter follows him. Morales, assuming he's healthy and either he or Trumbo can play third or LF, should hit sixth. I have Trout leading off so that he'll see more pitches and get used to major league pitching faster. Ianetta hits 7th and then you follow him up with some combo of Aybar/Callaspo/Wells/Abreu.

The Angels are a really good team and should be neck and neck with Texas for most of the year. But I think that their pitching staffs are close to equal and that the Rangers have much better hitting and depth. True, I am prejudiced in favour of the Rangers, but that's a pretty objective statement.

The rest of the AL West isn't worth talking about.

The AL Central is a mess outside of Detroit. Nobody knows what the Twins will do because nobody knows if Mauer and Morneau will be healthy. Or if their pitchers wil start playing like major leaguers again. Cleveland is intriguing with all the ground ball pitchers they have, but they have question marks in terms of production from 1B, 2B, 3B, LF and CF. I'm assuming Choo will have a bounce-back year. The Royals are getting better but they haven't turned the corner. And the White Sox have a great AAA team. Unfortunately it is playing in the majors.

The AL and NL East wll be the most exciting divisions in baseball. Eight out of ten teams are really good. The Yankees have the best team in the East. Excellent power and OBP from the lineup, a solid outfield, and a starting five of Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova, Pineda and Garcia, with Mo still closing it out and a solid pen in front of him. The Yankees should be the best team in the East.

But then you look at Tampa's starting five and can't find a single day you want to hit against them. They, like the Rangers, have more starting pitching than they know what to do with. And they've improved their offense. They should be a strong team. And the Red Sox should count on Crawford being much better in LF with SS and C being the only weak links on offense. Their starting three pitchers are damn good, too. It'll be interesting to see what happens at the back of the rotation and pen, though. The Blue Jays, too, have a solid team almost all the way through.

In the NL East, Philly again has the best staff, but the Nationals are gaining on them. They need production from LF and 1B, and I don't know if they will get it. Utley and Rollins need to stay healthy and produce, and there's no telling if they can. But again, who wants to face that pitching staff?

The Nats are intriguing. Strasburg is limited to 160 innings. Zimmerman will also be innings limited. Gio Gonzalez has the right stuff, but he walks too many people. If he can reduce his walk total by half he'll be excellent. Lannan is a solid 4th option and I think Wang will be a surprisingly effective starter this year. The big story will be around Bryce Harper and when his time will come. The outfield should be Morse/Werth/Harper. If it isn't, the Nats have some problems. I'm also not sold on their infield as a whole, whether because of injury history or lack of production.

Everyone knows what the Marlins have done. They'll be competitive and fun to watch. Should challenge for the division. And the Braves are solid throughout.

The NL Central is wide open. No division went through a bigger facelift. So I think they'll finish Reds-Brewers-Cards-Pirates-Cubs-Astros. But the top three teams could all flip flop. Only the Astros are guaranteed their place in the standings.

The NL West should also be exciting. The Dodgers didn't improve much, if at all, on offense. And losing Kuroda will hurt. Aaron Harang is simply not a good replacement for Kuroda. The Giants' biggest addition is getting Posey back healthy. Otherwise their offense is a huge question mark. But you can't question their pitching. Three bona fide aces to lead the way.

The two most interesting teams are the D-Backs and Rockies. Cahill improves the pitching staff dramatically. But can Kennedy repeat his success from last year? Montero, Hill and Upton should be solid at the plate, but can Young and Goldschmidt do anything other than hit the occasional homer? And why in the name of everything holy are you playing Kubel instead of Parra? I think that Parra ends up starting more games this year than Kubel. The Kubel expirement will die a quick death. The Rockies stockpiled arms this offseason, but how will they perform at Coors Field? The Scutaro trade was genius, but why sign Cuddyer? The Rockies will hit and they have the talent to pitch well. But can they put it together? I think they come up just short, as Arizona wins the division.

Watch out for the Padres in 2-3 years. They won't amount to much this year, but they have some damn good players coming up soon.

So, my rankings:
AL West
1. Rangers, 5. Angels, 22. Mariners, 25. A's
AL Central
8. Tigers, 17. Indians, 19. Royals, 21. Twins, 29. Sox
AL East
2. Yankees, 3. Rays, 9. Blue Jays, 12. Sox, 28. Orioles
NL West
6. D-Backs, 15. Rocks, 18. Giants, 20. Dodgers, 24. Padres
NL Central
11. Reds, 13. Brewers, 16. Cards, 23. Pirates, 26. Cubs, 30. Astros
NL East
4. Phillies, 7. Marlins, 10. Braves, 14. Nats, 27. Mets

1. Rangers over 3. Rays in 4
2. Yanks over 8. Tigers in 4

4. Phillies over 11. Reds in 5
7. Marlins over 6. D-Backs in 4

1. Rangers over 2. Yanks in 6
4. Phillies over 7. Marlins in 6

1. Ranges v 4. Phillies in the Series, Rangers in 6

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

FingerLakerAv8r

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 6):
1. Ranges v 4. Phillies in the Series, Rangers in 6

?? You sir are out of yout Phreakin' mind 

texan

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 7):
?? You sir are out of yout Phreakin' mind

I know, I think the Rangers can sweep too, but the Phillies are good enough to take at least one game  

Texan

airportugal310

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 am

Quoting georgiabill (Thread starter):
As fan of red sox and nationals I have mixed expectations. The sox hopefully can put last septembers colapse behind them. New manager and coaching staff a fresh start. Keys to the season Buchholz being healthy, Bard making the adjustment to starting rotation, Bailey and Melancon pitching well out of the bullpen and Carl Crawford having a better year.I believe the sox are probably the 6th best team in the American league and will need big years from everyone to reach the playoffs. At this moment I see them finishing third in the AL East behind the Yankees and Rays. Toronto could even finish ahead of them.

Sox fan here...totally agree with the assessment. This season is either gonna be OK, or horrible. Not expecting much else. Dice-K looking alright supposedly after Tommy Johns, but he's been rather hit or miss since he joined anyways. We shall see...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

runner13

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting texan (Reply 8):
I know, I think the Rangers can sweep too, but the Phillies are good enough to take at least one game

While I 100% agree the the Rangers have put together the best team in the majors this year, yes even better than the Phillies, who are also one hell of a team, we disagree on a few points.

Quoting texan (Reply 6):
The AL and NL East wll be the most exciting divisions in baseball. Eight out of ten teams are really good. The Yankees have the best team in the East. Excellent power and OBP from the lineup, a solid outfield, and a starting five of Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova, Pineda and Garcia, with Mo still closing it out and a solid pen in front of him. The Yankees should be the best team in the East.

But then you look at Tampa's starting five and can't find a single day you want to hit against them. They, like the Rangers, have more starting pitching than they know what to do with. And they've improved their offense. They should be a strong team. And the Red Sox should count on Crawford being much better in LF with SS and C being the only weak links on offense. Their starting three pitchers are damn good, too. It'll be interesting to see what happens at the back of the rotation and pen, though. The Blue Jays, too, have a solid team almost all the way through.

I agree with you about the NL East and think that it will be the most exciting division to watch this year. But I think you are giving the Yankees, and Red Sox to much credit this year. The Yankees aern't the team they used to be. CC will be a dominant pitcher, but their rotation is not that good. Cano is probably one of the best to ever play the game, and Texeria will put up decent numbers, and the rest of their lineup is on the decline, espicially A-Rod, and Jeter. Just remember this Yankees fans.
http://youtu.be/L57dVEwcbNM
As for the Red Sox, they have a clubhouse problem, I don't think a new manager, and GM will fix it.
I think the Ray's will come out on top in the East and the AL wild card will be the Angels. The new powerhouse will be the AL West.

zippyjet

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:32 am

Quoting texan (Reply 6):

Notice how Orioles are conspicuously absent. A sad state of affairs. Believe it or not from the early 1960's through 1985 the Baltimore Orioles had one of the highest winning percentages in the majors both leagues. Then came a string of owners who basically killed our once renowned farm system and the Oriole Way of promoting and developing from within. And things have never been the same since. Edward Bennett Williams and especially Ely Jacobs strip mined our team's assets for a quick $. Then, Peter Angelo's ESQ and his family bought the team and at first we thought things would improve and return to what was. Sadly, Mr. Bennett a well known successful lawyer thought he could work his jurisprudence mojo on the team and the results speak for themselves 14 losing seasons in a row! We have a new GM who seems to have what it takes and our manager Buck Schowalter seems to show promise but, the final word has to be approved by Angelo's and his family who also have massive egos. One can hope. Steinbrenner finally got it and left the team to the baseball professionals and has had a slew of winning seasons. Hope springs eternal for our O's.
If we can turn the corner and have a winning season we just may add to the suspense and nail biting drama that is the American League East.
A little off topic, is Houston jumping to the AL? I hope not. I'd rather see the Miami Marlins and or the Washington Nationals jump to the "junior circuit!" Some may disagree but, I'd switch the Rays and Jays to the NL and round out the AL East with the Nats and Miami. Imagine the new rivalries Baltimore vs. Washington (like back in the day) and the Yankees going at it with the Red Sox and Miami!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

runner13

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 11):
A little off topic, is Houston jumping to the AL? I hope not. I'd rather see the Miami Marlins and or the Washington Nationals jump to the "junior circuit!" Some may disagree but, I'd switch the Rays and Jays to the NL and round out the AL East with the Nats and Miami. Imagine the new rivalries Baltimore vs. Washington (like back in the day) and the Yankees going at it with the Red Sox and Miami!

Yes they will be in the AL West in 2013. I think the Rockies would've been a better fit, but Selig didn't ask me.

texan

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:30 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 11):

2013 Houston comes to the AL West.

Quoting runner13 (Reply 10):
I agree with you about the NL East and think that it will be the most exciting division to watch this year. But I think you are giving the Yankees, and Red Sox to much credit this year. The Yankees aern't the team they used to be. CC will be a dominant pitcher, but their rotation is not that good. Cano is probably one of the best to ever play the game, and Texeria will put up decent numbers, and the rest of their lineup is on the decline, espicially A-Rod, and Jeter. Just remember this Yankees fans.
http://youtu.be/L57dVEwcbNM
As for the Red Sox, they have a clubhouse problem, I don't think a new manager, and GM will fix it.
I think the Ray's will come out on top in the East and the AL wild card will be the Angels. The new powerhouse will be the AL West.

Completely fair to disagree with me, especially since this is just my opinion and projecting what will happen and who will stay healthy is a crapshoot at best. But I'm still going to defend my rankings  

I give the Yankees a lot of credit because I'm impressed with their rotation. Nova and Pineda are solid starters, with Pineda projected as a future ace. I think Nova is, too. Kuroda has put up great stats for the Dodgers--other than wins because the Dodgers gave him no run support. He doesn't walk many, strikes out a lot, keeps the ball in the park and has a low ERA and high ERA . Kuroda would have been a 20 game winner with the Yankees last season. No reason to suspect any different this season. Freddy Garcia pitched very well last year, with an ERA of 122. You also have Phil Hughes available to spot start. And the bullpen is pretty solid. I think you are undervaluing the Yankee rotation.

I'll agree I'm probably overvaluing the Yankee offence. Jeter's declined, no doubt. Say what you want about A-Rod, even in a season riddled with injuries last year, he had an OPS of .823 with 16 homers and 62 RBI. He should be healthy this year and will get spelled at 3B from time to time. The last season before last year he failed to hit at least 30/100 was 1997. I don't like the guy but he can still rake and I wouldn't want to face him. Surround him with Cano, Tex, Granderson and Swisher and you have a pretty good supporting cast. Gardner certainly needs to improve and while Martin hit for power last year he only hit .237.

All in all, I think that the Rays have the best rotation in the East, Yankees 2nd, Jays 3rd, Sox 4th and Orioles 5th. For offence, Sox 1st, Yanks 2nd, Jays 3rd, Rays 4th, O's 5th. Depending on how Bard and Aceves do in spring ball, though, I may move the Sox up to 3rd in pitching.

I think Boston has addressed a lot of its problems through Bobby V. He's not a cure all, but he is a positive step and a disciplinarian. He doesn't let people have free rides and he'll get in his players' faces when he needs to. Lester and Beckett have stepped up and taken the blame for a lot of what happened last year. They had a great offence but their pitching faltered. I'm still concerned about their middle relief, but Bailey was a great pick up and should perform at least as well if not better than Paps.

If there's one team I overvalued in the AL East it is the Jays because I have a soft spot for them. I don't like the Jays in LF and SS. I'm concerned about 1B and CF. And I can't even tell you who their #4 starter is. The Jays are a high risk/high reward team. They are putting a lot of the right pieces together and are building a potential contender. But I don't trust their starting five as much as the Rays and Yanks for sure, but even the Sox. They have the potential to be a damn good starting corps, but they are almost as likely to flop.

I think the Rangers and Yankees are the only two "complete" teams to start the season. The Rays and Phillies have complete pitching staffs but too many question marks for the hitters. The Angels also factor into this with Pujols, Morales and Wilson coming on board. If they manage to trade Abreu for anything useful--including a new set of bats or additional pitching resin--they could get better. Unfortunately either Wells and Abreu have to play somewhere. And if either Morales or Trumbo plays third you're making the hot corner a huge defensive liability--like when the Rangers put Michael Young anywhere on the field. I'm also not convinced yet that Ianetta, Aybar or Callaspo can hit enough to give the Angels a "complete" team. Although Ianetta is a huge upgrade over Mathis.

Texan

Mir

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:33 pm

CC will be a dominant pitcher, but their rotation is not that good.

Let's just do a comparison between the Yankee rotation and the Ranger rotation, shall we?

We'll start with the fact that CC is better than anyone Texas has. Darvish and Pineda are comparable - both have the potential to be very good, but haven't proven themselves in MLB yet (thought Pineda was an All-Star last year, and not just because he was on the crappy Mariners - if you want your go-to Mariner All-Star, you get Felix Hernandez). Nova's 2011 (3.70, 1.33 WHIP) was a bit better than Holland's (3.95, 1.35 WHIP). Kuroda compares very favorably to Lewis (3.07, 1.23 WHIP vs. 4.40, 1.23 WHIP). Garcia isn't as good as Harrison (3.62, 1.34 WHIP vs. 3.39, 1.27 WHIP). And then there's the issue of Feliz - he could be good in his first year as a starter, but he could also have trouble adjusting to pitching more innings. The Yankees also have Hughes, who had an off-year last year but has been good in the past.

So, that's two clear instances where the Yankees are better, one where the Rangers are better, one comparable, and one unkown (Feliz). And keep in mind that the Yankee pitchers are facing the Red Sox and Blue Jays a lot. The Ranger rotation never has to face the only team in their division that actually has a good lineup. So if the Yankee rotation is "not that good", then the Ranger rotation is barely above average at best. I think we both know that's not the case.

Just remember this Yankees fans.

Wow, a Yankees suck song. That's original!  

Why don't you remember this: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=19955017 And, while you're at it, this: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=19955467

Win a World Series (i.e. don't choke it away), and you can talk. Hey, it's not like you didn't have the opportunity. Two of them, in fact. Just one more strike...one more strike....

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

airportugal310

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
Wow, a Yankees suck song. That's original!

You seem to get all worked up when someone bashes the Yanks/Giants (insert other less-important NY teams), but have no problem dishing it out to everyone else.

It's a good ol' fashioned ribbing...dont take it to personally.

Stats are stats, sure, but that has never stopped anyone from hating. It never will!  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Mir

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 15):
You seem to get all worked up when someone bashes the Yanks/Giants (insert other less-important NY teams), but have no problem dishing it out to everyone else.

I have no problem with people bashing the Yankees (though if you think I'm a Giants fan, you clearly haven't followed my sports allegiances closely - hint: this is airliners.net, and by being a member here, I have clearly established my affinity for airliners, both props and...those other ones   ). I know how things work. But I do wish they'd come up with some more original stuff. It's a real letdown when someone acts like they've got this great new taunt and it turns out to be a tired rehashing of the same "Yankees suck" deal. Hell, I have more original stuff than that to hate on the Yankees with, and I'm a Yankees fan!

I also find it hilarious when a Rangers fan tries to talk tough after the choke job his team pulled last year (and, as a Yankees fan, I know about choke jobs - spring training 2005 was not the time to talk trash about anyone, even the lowly Orioles). When they avenge 2011 (which can only happen with a World Series win), then they can talk. Until then, I will continue to respond in kind.

-Mir

georgiabill
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I think the Rangers do have questions concerning their pitching. As with the red sox the rangers have to see if Neftali Feliz can adjust to being a starter. How long will it take Yu Darvish to adjust to facing American League lineups. Is Joe Nathan healthy and able to be there closer. Their lineup is going to produce alot of runs. However I think the Angels have a better pitching staff, Pujols adds power to their lineup and if Kendry Morales is healthy and hits like he did before his injury makes the Angles lineup very formidible. But this year I think the wildcard team comes from the AL west!

But the best team in AL in my opinion is the Detroit Tigers. I think they win the AL and play the Phillies in the world series.

Just my 2 cents.

HOMER71

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Expectations?

Astros - hopefully not lose 106 games like last season

[Edited 2012-02-23 08:21:19]
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

corocks

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting homer71 (Reply 18):
Expectations?

Astros - hopefully not lose 106 games like last season

Unfortunately, my expectation is that they will be even worse. They have done nothing in the off-season to make the team any better.

texan

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting georgiabill (Reply 17):
I think the Rangers do have questions concerning their pitching. As with the red sox the rangers have to see if Neftali Feliz can adjust to being a starter. How long will it take Yu Darvish to adjust to facing American League lineups. Is Joe Nathan healthy and able to be there closer. Their lineup is going to produce alot of runs. However I think the Angels have a better pitching staff, Pujols adds power to their lineup and if Kendry Morales is healthy and hits like he did before his injury makes the Angles lineup very formidible. But this year I think the wildcard team comes from the AL west!

But the best team in AL in my opinion is the Detroit Tigers. I think they win the AL and play the Phillies in the world series.

Agree that our pitching is a question mark. Based on what the Rangers did with Wilson two years ago and Ogando last year (moving them from the pen to the starting rotation) and seeing both of them have All Star years as starters, I give management the benefit of the doubt in turning Feliz into a solid starter. Even if he doesn't turn into one, we still have Ogando, an All Star last year. My biggest concern is with Colby Lewis. He ain't an ace but that's the role we've cast him in. The 2-5 starters match up well against pretty much any other team's 2-5. It's the #1 spot that'll give us trouble.

As for the Angels, their #1 is better than the Rangers #1. 2-4 are pretty even. Rangers 5 is better than Angels 5. And the Rangers pen is better. So it's close to a wash overall in pitching. In hitting, Pujols and Morales--assuming he returns to form--are indeed formidable. Hopefully for the Angels that means they'll figure out how to score some runs this year. But I still question how many players are going to get on base ahead of Pujols, Morales and Trumbo. Kendrick is solid, but I'm not sold on the rest of their offense yet. The best thing for them to do would be to make Abreu and Wells the highest paid bench pairing in MLB history. Sciosia tends to play his favourites, though, so who knows what will happen there.

And I like the Tigers. They are the best team by far in a bad division. But I question their pitching outside Verlander and Fister (I'm a huge fan of Fister). Prince will provide a power boost, but they downgraded defensively by putting Prince at 1B and Miggy at 3B. They should both be DHs. And I am still concerned about alternate their lineup outside of Prince/Miggy.

Texan

runner13

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
Let's just do a comparison between the Yankee rotation and the Ranger rotation, shall we?

We'll start with the fact that CC is better than anyone Texas has. Darvish and Pineda are comparable - both have the potential to be very good, but haven't proven themselves in MLB yet (thought Pineda was an All-Star last year, and not just because he was on the crappy Mariners - if you want your go-to Mariner All-Star, you get Felix Hernandez). Nova's 2011 (3.70, 1.33 WHIP) was a bit better than Holland's (3.95, 1.35 WHIP). Kuroda compares very favorably to Lewis (3.07, 1.23 WHIP vs. 4.40, 1.23 WHIP). Garcia isn't as good as Harrison (3.62, 1.34 WHIP vs. 3.39, 1.27 WHIP). And then there's the issue of Feliz - he could be good in his first year as a starter, but he could also have trouble adjusting to pitching more innings. The Yankees also have Hughes, who had an off-year last year but has been good in the past.

So, that's two clear instances where the Yankees are better, one where the Rangers are better, one comparable, and one unkown (Feliz). And keep in mind that the Yankee pitchers are facing the Red Sox and Blue Jays a lot. The Ranger rotation never has to face the only team in their division that actually has a good lineup. So if the Yankee rotation is "not that good", then the Ranger rotation is barely above average at best. I think we both know that's not the case.

Man you need to lighten up, were not comparing stats from 2011. Were talking about teams potential for 2012. The Rangers pitching potentially better than the Yankees.

Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense what so ever. The Rangers have to face the Angels a lot in the season, and they have a pretty good lineup, so your comment is invalid.

Mir

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting runner13 (Reply 21):
were not comparing stats from 2011. Were talking about teams potential for 2012. The Rangers pitching potentially better than the Yankees.

Then the Rangers rotation is not that good.

Quoting runner13 (Reply 21):
The Rangers have to face the Angels a lot in the season, and they have a pretty good lineup

Now they have a good lineup. Minus Pujols and Morales, the way they were last year, not so much. They did it with pitching.

-Mir

AirframeAS

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

Quoting runner13 (Reply 12):
Yes they will be in the AL West in 2013. I think the Rockies would've been a better fit, but Selig didn't ask me.

The Astros are moving in 2013, they may be having a name change and a uniform change from what I have read. Not very many Astro fans are warming up to the move....at all!

If a team is to move to the AL West, it should be Arizona. Their style of play is similar to the AL, except their pitchers bat. I would rather have Arizona in the AL West than Houston or Colorado.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

runner13

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 am

MIR all I have to say is that your a textbook example of why no one likes or respects Yankees fans. I will give credit where it is due. The Yankees have dominated for half a century, Jeter, A-Rod, Riveria, CC, Granderson, and so forth have all guaranteed their places in the HOF. No one will argue that, but the Yankees are not as good as they once were. They will still be a contender, and win a lot of games this year. But in my opinion it's just not there this season. The Rays are going to be the best in the east. Just accept that their has been a power shift this year away from the AL east, to the west. You can also defend the Yankees all you want from 2011 but the fact of the matter is the Rangers won the pennant, not the Yankees. The Rangers choked, the Yankees have also choked. If you look back to history the last two teams to lose two straight World Series the Yankees in the 20's I think, and the Braves in the 90's. They dominated after that. That being said I will never have another arguement, or discussion about baseball with you again.

AirframeAS

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
Darvish and Pineda are comparable - both have the potential to be very good, but haven't proven themselves in MLB yet (thought Pineda was an All-Star last year, and not just because he was on the crappy Mariners - if you want your go-to Mariner All-Star, you get Felix Hernandez).

The problem with your analysis, Mir, is that Pineda was much better than Felix in 2011 in which is why Pineda earned an All-Star status. Felix sucked! Pineda has proven himself in the MLB already, it did not take him very long at all. The Crankees are lucky to even have Pineda, they should be thankful to have him. I was miffed when the Mariners traded away Pineda, but got Montero in return which isn't too bad as I thought it would be.

texan

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 25):
The problem with your analysis, Mir, is that Pineda was much better than Felix in 2011 in which is why Pineda earned an All-Star status. Felix sucked!

I disagree. Pineda was just above average last year. It was a solid campaign and he is a potential future ace, no doubt. But Felix had better numbers almost across the board last year. And his previous two years were lights out. And Pineda is moving to a much more hitter friendly stadium. That's not to say I think he won't do well--I think he'll win 14-17 games this year with an ERA around 4.00, solid stats for Yankee Stadium--I just think that Felix remains the better pitcher for now. Ask me in 2-3 years and I might say different!

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):

I'll disagree with this too. The Rangers have a solid rotation, one of the best in the AL. But again, if you put Lewis up against the other #1 pitchers on contending teams, Lewis is behind most, if not all, of them. Looking at the rest of the rotation, though, I'd put the Rangers up there with just about any other team in baseball.

Quoting runner13 (Reply 24):
No one will argue that, but the Yankees are not as good as they once were. They will still be a contender, and win a lot of games this year. But in my opinion it's just not there this season.

And that's fair enough. Let's face it: the Yankees will likely not be as good as they were in the mid 1920s and 1940s-50s. They still have the potential to be champions again this year. They're gonna have a strong season and I think they make the playoffs, but I agree with you that I don't think they will be champs.

Texan

Mir

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 am

Quoting runner13 (Reply 24):
MIR all I have to say is that your a textbook example of why no one likes or respects Yankees fans.

If that makes you feel better, fine, but I believe you'd be the first on this board to say that.

The problem with your analysis, Mir, is that Pineda was much better than Felix in 2011 in which is why Pineda earned an All-Star status. Felix sucked!

They both made the All-Star game, first of all. And I can't really say that someone with a 3.47 ERA and 222 strikeouts sucked - yeah, he was 14-14, but if his offense was capable of giving him any run support, things would have been different.

The Crankees are lucky to even have Pineda, they should be thankful to have him. I was miffed when the Mariners traded away Pineda, but got Montero in return which isn't too bad as I thought it would be.

I didn't like the trade at first, because I didn't want to give up Montero. The guy looks to be just as good a hitter as Pineda is a pitcher. But the Yankees have a lot of catching depth, there are questions about Montero's defense, and there was really nowhere else to play him - you're not going to displace Teixiera from first, and the DH needs to be left open for a rotation of the aged (particularly A-Rod). So given that scenario, getting someone of Pineda's caliber was a pretty good option. Would have liked Felix instead, but that was wishful thinking that really wasn't going to happen.

Quoting texan (Reply 26):
Quoting Mir (Reply 22):

I'll disagree with this too.

I don't blame you - that statement was based on Runner13's (wildly inaccurate) claim that the Yankees rotation isn't that good, followed by his claim that the Rangers rotation has the potential to be better than the Yankees rotation. If you ask me, they're pretty much comparable - I might give a slight edge to the Yankees because of CC and Pineda, but that's it. I do think the Yankees have a better bullpen - Mariano is Mariano, Robertson was crazy good last year, and Soriano is no slouch either. That could be a six inning game right there if you really needed one.

-Mir

AirframeAS

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 27):
They both made the All-Star game, first of all.

And so did Brandon League. However, Felix did not play because he was not eligible (He played the Sunday prior and was then declared eligible per MLB rules because of that). Pineda rocked in the ASG. He struck out two batters, the only pitcher to fan two in that game. League also played and fanned one batter, but gave up two hits.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2011_07_12_aasmlb_nasmlb_1

PSA53

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 am

Are ready for some Baseball? Hank changed sports.(lol)

Ok,now that all the Ranger fans have are done with all the talking,The Los Angeles Angels will be celebrating they're 10th anniversary since winning the series in '02, they will be back in the WS in 2012 and once again will be facing the San Francisco Giants.

But I also know it won't be a walk in the park.The Angels need to gel together.But the Rangers do have questions not yet answered in the pitching staff.Catcher Mike Napoli surely won't have a banner year like last year.The Angels, in the meantime, get back Wells healthy and youngsters Mark Trumbo and Peter Bourjos have gain experience last year while veterans Hunter,Morales,Abreu,and Pujols will round out a pretty good solid line up.The pitching staff has been talked about. So, i feel we will be in WS.

Go Angels!!!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

L-188

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:11 am

I prefer football.

The Mariners have +160 chances to disappoint me.

At least the Seahawks can only do it 16 times
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

hOMSaR

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:38 am

There's always next year.
-every Cubs fan
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

CplKlinger

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 am

Expectations? As a Cubs fan, I never have them, that way I am never disappointed.   Works like a charm every season.

Mir

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Well, the new playoff rules have been established.

The main points: there will now be two wild card teams, who will have a play-in game to determine who will face the #1 seed in the LDS. The rule barring the #1 seed from facing the wild card team if they're in the same division is no more, and the LDS will now be a 3-2 format, with the first two games being played at the home of the lower seeded team, and the last three being played at the home of the higher seeded team. More details here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7637317/mlb-new-postseason-plan

Overall, I like the idea in principle, but hate the way they've been implemented. And that's directly attributable to the fact that MLB left the decision to change to the new format to the very last minute, after the playoff schedules had already been figured out and arranged with the TV networks. This means that there are now more games to fit into the same amount of time, with the result that there are fewer off days available. That's why you have the absolutely asinine scheme of giving the weaker team the first two games of the LDS at home and going 2-3 instead of going 2-2-1 and having the stronger team start off at home (the thing I like the least about the new arrangement) - there's just not enough time for that extra travel day. Nor will there be a day off between the LDS (assuming it goes 5 games) and the start of the LCS, again due to not enough time for the extra travel day. If they had just waited another year and set things up properly, I'd feel a lot better about it. But MLB really dropped the ball on this one.

Thoughts?

-Mir